Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Albion Online: What I see here, as I've seen countless other times, is the introduction of economic reality to ideas unbridled. Transcendent vision requires tight focus, else all is lost, scattered adrift in the vastness of space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
After seeing this prototype, would you really ask for more?

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/301458/die-cast-models

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Damnit, I thought Albion Online was going to be a follow-up game to the game on GoG.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mirificus posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/301458/die-cast-models

Star Citizen: "It'd be even better if I had a tiny one"

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

deep down he must know he had his shot: make a hollywood movie, with the IP that made him famous no less, but he hosed it all up because hes a poo poo director and writer.

never going to get closer to your dream than that chris. but you hosed it up

Worked out for George Lucas somehow. CR is just A New Hope for this generation.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

xxEightxx posted:

Except "A New Hope" came before Lucas' shi-trilogy. Chris just went straight to Jar-Jar.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Oh poo poo. Spergs are going to go ape poo poo.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Star Citizen: Don't worry. It's a known issue. Everything is normal

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mirificus posted:

Star Citizen: Don't worry. It's a known issue. Everything is normal

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

xxEightxx posted:

The history of the Wing Commander movie is fairly interesting. As a fun callback to George Lucas the movie was actually rushed so that it would be ready in time to show the Phantom Menace trailer.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

hmmm looking forward to the Chairman's response.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Origins posted:

I just signed up with RSI/Star Citizen, but I really am too drat poor to contribute financially to SC/Squadron 42 at present and unlikely to be able to do so for at least six months from now ( yet hope springs eternal!).

Nonetheless I have an intellectual and emotional investment in this enterprise because of its business/development model and because Chris Roberts earlier Wing Commander games were not just great entertainment but also played a significant part in my professional life

The original Wing Commander appealed to me as it did to hundreds of thousands of others. I bought it, played it, greatly enjoyed it and looked forward to the next iteration, but gaming was not my principle reason for having a computer--I needed one at home to use for business.
WC gave me a satisfying break from work and helped justify my investment by providing a necessary diversion from more serious pursuits--Wc was my 'vacation' from work.

The demands of the speech-pack of WCII, however,presented a an issue for me: without the speech, WCII was just WC1, continued. With the speech, WCII offered a significantly improved experience ( a better 'vacation', in other words). Getting that speech pack to work required a sound card AND delving into the mysteries of DOS memory management and system architecture. The demands of WCII, to be fully enjoyed, forced me to become my own computer technician or 'geek', instead of being a mere consumer/user.

The extra expense in buying additional hardware ( a sound card, speakers and a 4-button joystick), and the time and effort required in learning about memory management and the relationship between hardware and software not only paid off in my ability to play WCII and have a better gaming experience, it also laid the very foundations for me to become an IT professional.

When WCIII came out in 1994, a few months before I committed to a formal computer technician course, I built a new PC from scratch specifically to run the game.
When WC IV was released in 1996 I was actually earning my living as a PC field-technician, and again built myself a new PC not just to run the game, but to even exceed its recommended system requirements.

In short, the technical demands of Chris Roberts' Wing Commander games, and the quality and innovation of them, pushed me into the most financially rewarding and probably most intellectually rewarding career path of my life.

Now in 2013, I can't afford even the most basic subscription to Star Citizen/Squadron 42 BUT thanks to the impetus that Wing Commander provided me, I still have the potential to do so because despite my current financial situation, my present circumstances are better than they would have been BECAUSE Wing Commander got me seriously involved in IT, and because at present my IT experience is the reason I have a job at all, and because my Wing Commander-inspired IT background still provides me with opportunities to improve my situation whilst my expertise in other areas have demonstrably less value.

Computer gaming is entertaining, certainly, but involvement in computer gaming can be deep and important. Chris Roberts made a career out of seemingly frivolous gaming and has inspired others to do so too. His games pushed me into a career and a life course that has proven to be not faddish, but enduring and of real value, in my past, in my present and that still has relevance to my future.

In short the Star Citizen project/game is not just entertainment, it is not a distraction from the mundane mechanics of ordinary life--it actually reflects real life on many levels, and it can change lives as well.

Maybe the above is over the top, too "fan-boy" and all that, and Star Citizen isn't going to eradicate hunger or cruelty or corruption or wars, but this little bit of entertainment that I can;t afford at the moment is much deeper than the pixels it puts on the computer screen, and if noting else I will find the finds to build the PC needed to run it and buy the retail version so I can play it.

P.S. The only reason I can post this is because my Internet access is provided by a neighbor allowing me to share Wifi bandwidth.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Mirificus posted:

This is only the prototype. The one that is released to everyone will be of much higher quality.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
lmao that looks like it was carved from a bar of grey soap

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

lmao that looks like it was carved from a bar of grey soap

http://www.msnbc.com/lockup/watch/lockup-tulsa-brother-against-brother-richard-63104067568

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Community Thread: Explain the Backstory of your Handle!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Is that suicide watch module done yet?

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 6, 2015

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

quote:

In short, the technical demands of Chris Roberts' Wing Commander games, and the quality and innovation of them, pushed me into the most financially rewarding and probably most intellectually rewarding career path of my life.

Now in 2013, I can't afford even the most basic subscription to Star Citizen/Squadron 42

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

:lol:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Haha, it's not on the SC subreddit yet if anyone wants to collect a massive amount of downvotes :v:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Oh man now we're going to have another lawsuit to keep track of. This is getting confusing.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Watching the tide of press coverage gradually turning as everyone gets fed up of this bloody thing is nice.

How long must we wait for the first $0 day, CIG?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Chalks posted:

Watching the tide of press coverage gradually turning as everyone gets fed up of this bloody thing is nice.

How long must we wait for the first $0 day, CIG?

I am fairly certain that there will never be a $0 day. Even on those days where $0 is collected.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6033809/#Comment_6033809

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Don't worry. It's a known issue. Everything is normal.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Yikes

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

MRW "With all the time passed and money they have, SC should be out by now!!!"

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Although I'm sure it already exists, someone start a "tell us about the dreams you've had about star citizen" thread on the rsi forums please

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I remember thinking poo poo like this when I was 14 and Anarchy Online was about to come out. I can't imagine being a grown man with the same mental state.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Me and my turret gunner

I named him Gunnar in honor of his role

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Is this thread real?

Are we?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kakarot posted:

Me and my turret gunner

Scrub tier baby carrier.

Ergobaby Four Position 360 is pro tier.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kakarot posted:

Me and my turret gunner

i want to die

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Mirificus posted:

That looks like something Reaper would use for its Bones line of minis, which usually mas out at $3.00/ea.

$125 is still $45 more than Horus.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
his fathers wrists probably look exactly the same.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

I enjoy the tortured attempt to explain exhaust velocity while completely ignoring specific impulse:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/301901/enough-of-this-discussion-why-a-ship-is-faster-than-an-other-one

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
glad to hep you

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Mirificus posted:

I enjoy the tortured attempt to explain exhaust velocity while completely ignoring specific impulse:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/301901/enough-of-this-discussion-why-a-ship-is-faster-than-an-other-one

i want to die reading this. This is the worst science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Eonwe posted:

there has to be a way to auto block goons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alternatively:

pirates, people known to go after hard targets rather than easy pickings

thanks high admiral gabriel theowhateverrus

I wonder how many whales are Eve-carebears seeking a safe haven from goons.

Also the reason lowsec pirates aren't suicide bombing your poo poo all day is because entering highsec with -10 is a pain, not because of some strange e-honour thing.

• Locked thread