Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

It's a hell of a lot better and more fun to read. I'm wondering if and when we'll see mocap footage of the Old Man though; could be an opportunity for more :gary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjSXcdvd-ME

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Mark Hamill starring as Old Man, starring alongside Gary Oldman.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I can't help but notice there are over 2,000 views on that video now- and I didn't link it anywhere else. Surely there aren't that many redditors lurking this thread?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sarsapariller posted:

I can't help but notice there are over 2,000 views on that video now- and I didn't link it anywhere else. Surely there aren't that many redditors lurking this thread?

That and more, no doubt at all

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I suspect we both come from the same school of writing.

Seriously, I have no idea what went wrong over at CIG and how they ended up with "Old man". Each time I see his handle I think of this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460780/

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

I dunno, I wouldn't wear something like that if I was paid to.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

The meltdowns in that comment section are amazing. I appreciate their deep monetary investment in my free entertainment.

Sarsapariller posted:

They could not let this video of bugs in an alpha stand without reminding everyone that it's a pre-pre-alpha and how amazing the game really is. Every comment where someone unironically thanks CiG for taking their money and making GBS threads in their mailbox is nice too.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Omi-Polari posted:

I still can't completely get over how lovely a callsign "Old Man" is.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

I've sent it to a few buddies who got a good laugh out of it, I am sure everyone did the same.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

If you do another one, please make the video title more positive, you'll get more hits and the citizens are so far gone that they'll be watching the third bug because they realise it's meant to be funny and a few will likely never figure it out.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

ShredsYouSay posted:

Er, 128 bit precision would be more than enough for a galaxy.

2^128 is 3.40e+38

Our galaxy is roughly 1.13532e+24 mm across

Heck, with 128 bit, you could do it with integers rather than floating point.

This is one of the design decisions Frontier got right. They were looking forward. Mayhap when 1TB of RAM (in 7 years time) they could seamlessly load entire galaxies at 1:1 precision.

Right now, our machines can't take it. But even if its there, doesn't mean they need to use it as well.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Has anyone said poo poo butizen lately

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

AP posted:

If you do another one, please make the video title more positive, you'll get more hits and the citizens are so far gone that they'll be watching the third bug because they realise it's meant to be funny and a few will likely never figure it out.

Will do. I got about 10x the video footage during a very brief search but the backing track I wanted to use was only two minutes long, so I have a ton of material for another.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
do pilots generally change their callsign? I mean, he's called 'Old Man' because he's old but what callsign did he have before that?

It make none sense

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

starkebn posted:

do pilots generally change their callsign? I mean, he's called 'Old Man' because he's old but what callsign did he have before that?

It make none sense

new guy, duh

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
poo poo aint changed here

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Sarsapariller posted:

Someone did link it on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3vno9p/the_bugs_of_star_citizen/

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Wow and it got upvotes- good to know they've still got some sense of humor.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Omi-Polari posted:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Hmm, Kurt_M actually commented on the bug video 14 hours ago, well before the Reddit thread. He made the second comment at that. I wonder if he reads this one.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

I've sent it to a few buddies who got a good laugh out of it, I am sure everyone did the same.

And I tweeted it. so that probably explains most of it

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

A Neurotic Jew posted:

hehe. he mad.
Obviously celebrity voice acting being the $5,000,000 stretch goal and SQ42 cut scene motion capture being the $5,500,000 stretch goal meant CIG would spend $5,000,000 on hiring celebrities and $5,500,000 on building several motion capture studios! :argh:

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

starkebn posted:

It make none sense

They do, but they don't change callsigns themselves--callsigns change when your squadron mates decide to give you a new one. They're like nicknames, only an idiot tries to make his own.

Also, no one in the Navy would have "Old Man" as their callsign. The Old Man is the CO, no one else.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is poo. It's derivative, unimaginative, trope ridden poo floating in a toilet bowl overflowing with cliches. He's Gary Sue. His flaw is that he's too drat good and he cares too much. And the writing, is shoddy and full of, commas where they don't need to be. There is absolutely nothing compelling or interesting about it. The handle is particularly bad.

For shits and giggles I decided to try my own hand at it:

I don't know, maybe it's just as bad as the original. I just felt compelled to see what I could write.

While not original either (but you get a pass since we are dealing with archetypes and a simple story from the word go) your description of the character make me feel like there is room for it to grow, unlike the dribble from our favorite script writer/space cadet, Chris "Mushmouth" Roberts

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I appreciate you bringing your expertise to this topic, Octopode.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Octopode posted:

They do, but they don't change callsigns themselves--callsigns change when your squadron mates decide to give you a new one. They're like nicknames, only an idiot tries to make his own.

Also, no one in the Navy would have "Old Man" as their callsign. The Old Man is the CO, no one else.

*Amends resume to include military callsign expert*

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Octopode posted:

So can we add space navy pilot to your resume now?

EDIT: Also can someone please define what the 'unprecedented scope' is that SC is going for? Nothing in it seems to be unprecedented

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Someone please write a short bio of Chris "wonderboy" Roberts, tia.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Rudager posted:

So can we add space navy pilot to your resume now?

Too slow, rudgar.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

no_recall posted:

I heard Octopode is an expert writer on everything from apologetics about how its okay, good even, for people to suffer if he gets his video game to biographies and the like

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
imagine how sheltered you have to be to not empathize with someone who works in awful conditions

like, in their head they have a nice life where they don't work in a sweatshop because they deserve it, not because they werent born into poverty in a hellhole

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

imagine how sheltered you have to be to not empathize with someone who works in awful conditions

like, in their head they have a nice life where they don't work in a sweatshop because they deserve it, not because they werent born into poverty in a hellhole

Off topic, but hella sounds like what I just watched from Iron blood orphans. Good anime, highly recommended.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if any of you here are incredibly poor i will write a post about how glad I am you are miserable if it means I get to defend my stupid rear end multi-thousands dollar "video game" purchase

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

no_recall posted:

Off topic, but hella sounds like what I just watched from Iron blood orphans. Good anime, highly recommended.

ill check it out

if I wrote about how much I hope they suffer, is there any way we can get an additional season of it?

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

no_recall posted:

Is he going to cameo in this game movie thing? I'm sure he's been practicing in the mocap studios for months.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

AlmightyPants posted:

It would be absolutely amazing if they end up releasing Star Citizen as a free to play game with premium spaceships or whatever. They're already doing a free to play type model, wherein whales dump cash all over the place to get a leg up. The only thing missing is a game at this point.

I just want to see a swarm of starter/free goon ships suicide into SS Pubbie Whale and blow their expensive pixels to bits. The only downside to this is that I doubt their engine can handle the literal dozens of kamikaze goons in a zone at a time.

This might be the only model able to pay for the infrastructure after the initial "buy in" funds dry out. SC wont have the broad appeal of generic fantasy like WOW to be purely susbscription based and cant rely on asia cheaper artists/coders like GW2 to be "Buy to play". I dont have the numbers, but i would not be surprised if 10% of the "Citizens" are buying 80+% of the ships during the sales, making the current model pretty close to "Freenium" numbers already.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
octopode do you want to say that you were dumb about the suffering remark

you don't even have to admit you pretend to be an expert about everything to defend your stupid loving game

but you could at least back off the suffering thing and then i can stop posting about it

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

aleksendr posted:

While not original either (but you get a pass since we are dealing with archetypes and a simple story from the word go) your description of the character make me feel like there is room for it to grow, unlike the dribble from our favorite script writer/space cadet, Chris "Mushmouth" Roberts

I can live with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

comatose posted:

Is he going to cameo in this game movie thing? I'm sure he's been practicing in the mocap studios for months.

not likely, Sandi & CR actually did a short film recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRnCeg-EWio

• Locked thread