Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

no_recall posted:

Someone please write a short bio of Chris "wonderboy" Roberts, tia.
Chris "L. Ron" Roberts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

comatose posted:

Is he going to cameo in this game movie thing? I'm sure he's been practicing in the mocap studios for months.

[SPOILERS] He's the Grand Admiral "Cash" Roberts. He has to be in the game. Otherwise the world is incomplete without his awesomeness. Also there will be a plot twist wherein Gary Oldman goes AWOL and you're called to blow him outta the sky. Plot twist being a picture of his wife being intimate with Oldman. :gary:

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Eonwe posted:

octopode do you want to say that you were dumb about the suffering remark

you don't even have to admit you pretend to be an expert about everything to defend your stupid loving game

but you could at least back off the suffering thing and then i can stop posting about it

Somebody admitting they're wrong on the internet? Thats gonna happen, just wait, aaaaaany moment.

Like I literally think Kimsemus is the only person I've ever seen anywhere on the internet who admitted being wrong.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Mirificus posted:

I enjoy the tortured attempt to explain exhaust velocity while completely ignoring specific impulse:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/301901/enough-of-this-discussion-why-a-ship-is-faster-than-an-other-one

As i try do decipher this I can feel my brain melting, each neuron screaming in slow agony. If the zombie apocalypse ever happen, i wish for zombie Newton to somehow find this poster and bite him hard.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

aleksendr posted:

This might be the only model able to pay for the infrastructure after the initial "buy in" funds dry out. SC wont have the broad appeal of generic fantasy like WOW to be purely susbscription based and cant rely on asia cheaper artists/coders like GW2 to be "Buy to play". I dont have the numbers, but i would not be surprised if 10% of the "Citizens" are buying 80+% of the ships during the sales, making the current model pretty close to "Freenium" numbers already.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Should the MMO part ever launch (unlikely) they'll probably sell it for $50-60 with a month of playtime or something and $10-15 a month for a subscription. Then, when that stream dries up, they'll make the first month free. Then free to play. And there will be premium purchases the whole time.

If all the space whales end up with their thousand dollar spaceships gated behind a monthly fee I will have a hearty laugh. Because there's no way in hell that there's going to be enough money left to run the servers for this mess for free.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

Eonwe posted:

I heard Octopode is an expert writer on everything from apologetics about how its okay, good even, for people to suffer if he gets his video game to biographies and the like

I heard Octopode is only 1000 times cooler than you.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sarsapariller posted:

I can't help but notice there are over 2,000 views on that video now- and I didn't link it anywhere else. Surely there aren't that many redditors lurking this thread?
That video is great, Sarsaparilla! I laughed repeatedly.

I've been working on something a bit like that off-and-on for the last month-- but I'm still trying to get more 2.0 bugs crammed in. Figured I needed to stretch myself past photoshop stuff... Might not finish before $100M but if not I'll throw it out there before the last livestream. I am already savoring the down-votes.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Mirificus posted:

Blinding posted:
Ah good, someone who admits to playing through Medal of Honor: Warfighter multiple times. Warfighter was so bad that it killed the franchise. This is one game after they rebooted it with Medal of Honor, an aggressively mediocre game.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

AlmightyPants posted:

If all the space whales end up with their thousand dollar spaceships gated behind a monthly fee I will have a hearty laugh. Because there's no way in hell that there's going to be enough money left to run the servers for this mess for free.

They will not give a poo poo if theres a monthly fee. In their eyes it will be money used for server upkeep (likely true) and additional game dev (lol not likely) so they will be tripping over themselves to give Croberts more money.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Mirificus posted:

I enjoy the tortured attempt to explain exhaust velocity while completely ignoring specific impulse:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/301901/enough-of-this-discussion-why-a-ship-is-faster-than-an-other-one

What baffles me is that people like this apparently believe they have the ability to communicate. How do they get that impression? Do people actually spend the time to decipher this and respond? It doesn't seem like they'd be capable of reading it if you did. The whole forum would devolve into a series of incomprehensible morons making noises at one another, unable even to read each other's unique interpretations of the common language, for some kind of muted sense of having "Contributed." Which... yeah, that's basically the RSI forums.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Ash1138 posted:

Ah good, someone who admits to playing through Medal of Honor: Warfighter multiple times. Warfighter was so bad that it killed the franchise. This is one game after they rebooted it with Medal of Honor, an aggressively mediocre game.

Which is a shame because Allied Assault was a masterpiece at the time. Pretty sure Steven Spielberg helped produce it and it was developed by the people that went on to create Infinity Ward. It was more or less the video game of the movie for Saving Private Ryan.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Sarsapariller posted:

What baffles me is that people like this apparently believe they have the ability to communicate. How do they get that impression? Do people actually spend the time to decipher this and respond? It doesn't seem like they'd be capable of reading it if you did. The whole forum would devolve into a series of incomprehensible morons making noises at one another, unable even to read each other's unique interpretations of the common language, for some kind of muted sense of having "Contributed." Which... yeah, that's basically the RSI forums.

I dunno.

As a fellow reader of a lost of question, this seems like some sort of surreal poetry to me - there is a certain 'rythme' to it.

Or it might just be a quality troll, but it least it's not the usual hateful rubbish.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Justin Tyme posted:

Which is a shame because Allied Assault was a masterpiece at the time. Pretty sure Steven Spielberg helped produce it and it was developed by the people that went on to create Infinity Ward. It was more or less the video game of the movie for Saving Private Ryan.
The multiplayer was pretty decent too.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Ash1138 posted:

The multiplayer was pretty decent too.

lol if you didn't bind your lean and strafe keys to the same thing so you could be a juking unhittable pro

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I thought the MoH reboot was a pretty decent single player experience, though Warfighter sucked MEGA balls.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

AlmightyPants posted:

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Should the MMO part ever launch (unlikely) they'll probably sell it for $50-60 with a month of playtime or something and $10-15 a month for a subscription. Then, when that stream dries up, they'll make the first month free. Then free to play. And there will be premium purchases the whole time.

There's already going to be purchasing in game credits with real money. I believe that is where they plan to get their income from.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Oh yeah, CIG is going to have a 1:1 real people money to game money system. I forgot about that.

Also they have no idea what they're doing with their ingame economy beyond that they really, really want your money. Like, super bad. Here, give us $10. We'll give you a pistol. Or a 70mm space cannon. Whatever. Give us your money.

Sometimes I forget about those kinds of things around the hilarity of the celebrations of getting a super buggy tech demo of the game that's supposed to be launching commercially in a year.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

comatose posted:

They will not give a poo poo if theres a monthly fee. In their eyes it will be money used for server upkeep (likely true) and additional game dev (lol not likely) so they will be tripping over themselves to give Croberts more money.

Chris needs to the money to let the cocaine creative juices flow so he can create more generic SQ42 story lines for the mission packs.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Isn't pegging in-game currencies to the dollar really bad for ingame economies? I remember someone had a big effortpost about it once.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Rudager posted:

Chris needs to the money to let the cocaine creative juices flow so he can create more generic SQ42 story lines for the mission packs.

Lt. Steve 'Old Man' Colton has been taken prisoner by the bad guys, its up to you to rescue him in this 10 mission expansion pack to 2030's award winning space game Star Citizen. Exciting missions include: Fly to generic planet and kill 15 bad guy space ships. Travel to generic space station and repair the console thing with your grabby hands by pressing 'E'. Engage in thrilling jittery first person wiggle combat in the exciting release of the Star Marine Module*! And lots more!

*Star Marine not included with expansion. Will be released 2 weeks after.

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

ASK ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO SUCK OFF CHRIS ROBERTS

Eonwe posted:

if this game ever comes out, it will be free to play to get in on it right? well then i will just grief and poo poo up chat and make people miserable till I get banned

and then make a new account

No it won't be free to play, you buy a ship package, they may even separate SC and SQ42 in the future into discrete packages.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Broccoli Cat posted:

I heard Octopode is only 1000 times cooler than you.

Ok

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I've had enough of this thread just ripping on Karl, octopode, and dark priest.

You've all forgotten dick wulf and dolvak.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I hope we can send jpegs through in game comms. How many dick pics will it take to get dick wulf banned?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

jaegerx posted:

Someone please summarize Dolvak, I can't recall what he did wrong.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Someone please summarize Dolvak, I can't recall what he did wrong.

He's a pretentious hypocritical mod on /r/starcitizen that is totally against anything resembling doxxing when goons do it (by doing something as outrageous as googling someone's username and finding them on the first page of results on okcupid) but is totally for it when it's against someone who questions the brilliant visionary Christ Roberts.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
he was also a mod on r/DerekSmart,and said he wanted Derek to "bring it". Than the moment Derek intimated that Dolvak might be rounded up in to litigation a fellow admin threw him under the bus, demodded him, and severed all ties.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
I should also point out that no one in this thread actually linked said okcupid account, just alluded to the existence of it. That's enough I guess.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Also he was the generous and forward thinking soul who had a image hosting service standing by in the wake of ~some mysterious individual~ propagating a hilarious self own of imgur hosted images in previous threads.

Unless I'm a fuckwit and I'm messing up my history.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

space...
the ... final frontier..
..this is the voyages...
of the star... ship..
eterprise

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Also he runs this lovely site and think he's Christ Roberts' gift to the SC community: http://imperialnews.network/

He's a loving dick.

I'm not mad because if I were mad I would be talking about it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

jaegerx posted:

I've had enough of this thread just ripping on Karl, octopode, and dark priest.

Don't forget about Wesha, CitizenSlum, and Kurt_M.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Dusty Lens posted:

Also he was the generous and forward thinking soul who had a image hosting service standing by in the wake of ~some mysterious individual~ propagating a hilarious self own of imgur hosted images in previous threads.

Correct but he also deleted all his Reddit history because he was afraid of the Derek.

Please all "The dolvak maneuver" to the goonrathi tactics book.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Dusty Lens posted:

Stargur.com! Those friendly redditors would never use a bot to autoreport images posted on imgur that were linked in this thread, nosiree.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

xanif posted:

Also he runs this lovely site and think he's Christ Roberts' gift to the SC community: http://imperialnews.network/

He's a loving dick.

Oh my god guys don't click this link let me archive it and then host it or whatever the gently caress because he will probably make literally cents in ad revenue if you click.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

xanif posted:

He's a pretentious hypocritical mod on /r/starcitizen that is totally against anything resembling doxxing when goons do it (by doing something as outrageous as googling someone's username and finding them on the first page of results on okcupid) but is totally for it when it's against someone who questions the brilliant visionary Christ Roberts.

Karl was totally ok to doxx bootcha though because he's a public investor so that's ok.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Dusty Lens posted:

That was Dolvak. Stargur lasted a day and half or so.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Wasn't it just amazon cloud hosting that he put a fancy skin on and then promptly gave up on once the reddit bot stopped causing /r/starcitizen to implode?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

xanif posted:

He's a loving dick.

So his shtick is to repost literally everything SC-related and maybe throw in some "original content" with a podcast (that presumably talks about nothing since the game isn't done yet?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Yes.

• Locked thread