Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty
I mostly feel bad for Duane here. Sette's basically had it strongly hinted to her that da was going to flat out sell her to a murderous pedophile, and she's still loyal. That part I can get, Sette's weird and naive. But there's Duane, hearing this, accepting it, hearing her using his attachment to da to shield him, and reacting to it by just making it clear how loyal he is.

And poor boo is afraid of a blowup. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

VictorGrunn posted:

I mostly feel bad for Duane here. Sette's basically had it strongly hinted to her that da was going to flat out sell her to a murderous pedophile, and she's still loyal. That part I can get, Sette's weird and naive. But there's Duane, hearing this, accepting it, hearing her using his attachment to da to shield him, and reacting to it by just making it clear how loyal he is.

And poor boo is afraid of a blowup. :(
I read the additional Q&A stuff with Ashley and it makes a bit more sense to me. Basically according to her- Duane would like nothing better than to adopt Sette and be her new dad basically because he's soft on kids and her especially, and Sette if she would like to admit it or not would like Duane to do the same.

But both (and she has stated this a bunch in Q&A's) feel they're trapped and that it wouldn't work. Duane is attached to Sette now but he knows 1) he's an undead monstrosity and even though we don't see that as much of an issue considering her living alternatives he still has all his religious/personal hangups with it, and 2) he's a real stickler for the system- Sette isn't his child and Nary is still presumably her father so he has no business taking his kid.

And Sette's whole world has revolved around Nary- she thinks she has nothing without him and the "family". Being around child-protector Duane (who has been fathering her if he realizes it or not), and experiencing "dad duane" when he's wonky during dusk and seeing his past has her longing for a real parent. But he's an undead monstrosity, Nary's still her dad, and she still desperately clings to hope that he has some sort of personal connection and affection for her. Dad Duane is the fantasy, Nary is the reality.

So basically yeah sadness all around.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
honestly, unchanging Duane and Immortal Sette would be quite the dynamic but I think we gots a way to go to get there.

Edit: if this whole war thing ends up rearranging the defacto religious sphere in the end I see these two possibly being something in the new narrative.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Oh poo I hope Toma makes it out alive

Other person too

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Okay, let's all acknowledge Sette being a lion and the iconography of Ssael. Who is murkoph. Clearly.

Wait, what?

Still love this comic, can't wait for the last volume of the first act so I can force my husband to read it.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

quote:

After going back and looking at page 71 in chapter 10, I'm more and more convinced that Murkophe is Ssael. Also, looking at him morning over a little girl makes me wonder if that is/was Sette before something happened to her. More mysteries the longer this comic goes on!

I love the comments on this comic sometimes. :allears:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Gonna be honest here and say despite it being the obvious plot turn to take I'm really hoping Murkoph isn't Ssael.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bad Seafood posted:

Gonna be honest here and say despite it being the obvious plot turn to take I'm really hoping Murkoph isn't Ssael.

I honestly doubt he is. I'd bet he's related to Ssael's story but not the man himself.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

That's my hope, like perhaps he's the manifestation of Ssael's rejected id or something what with how the Khert seems to divvy up memories and desires. I dunno.

Ashley's got a lot of options here, I just hope she doesn't pick that one.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Captain Bravo posted:

Um... no we're not? :confused:

Huh, sorry missed that post there.

A.o.D. posted:

The catalyst isn't angst, but suffering. Duane has suffered more than anyone living can endure, which is kind of the point.

I was being flippant with the "angst" thing but the idea that Duane is somehow special with his suffering isn't true. There are plenty of people in the world who have suffered. Someone having their kid murdered in front of them is probably not uncommon in the war-torn areas.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, part of it is that he was put in a magic mask that inflicts unbearable pain on him, that was probably one of the biggest factors. Lot of literal, physical suffering there, regardless of whatever other sorts he may have experienced; agony is part of how the silver works, after all. That's why Delicieux stored it inside living hosts.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

TheCIASentMe posted:

Huh, sorry missed that post there.

I was being flippant with the "angst" thing but the idea that Duane is somehow special with his suffering isn't true. There are plenty of people in the world who have suffered. Someone having their kid murdered in front of them is probably not uncommon in the war-torn areas.

That's not right, either. Every night Duane relives his daughter's death and his disfigurement/murder. It's not a dream, but the event's indelible mark in the khert. He is experiencing the worst day of his life every night in a manner that no living being (with the one off exception of Sette) can experience. So yes, he does have it a bit worse than everyone else.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It would really suck for Duane's religion, one of the last things he has left to hold on to, was based on lies Murkoph told in order to do horrible things to women.

Especially since people have mentioned Saelit being hanged.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
On the one hand I do kinda like the twist of "surprise! god is an rear end in a top hat and religion is built on lies!" even if it's kinda cliché nowadays; on the other hand Murkoph really doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who can manage such a long con. Sette and Duane both met him, and neither of them seemed like they could really confuse him with the depiction of Ssael that Duane is making.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Secret double twist Murkoph is one of original twin gods.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Cat Mattress posted:

On the one hand I do kinda like the twist of "surprise! god is an rear end in a top hat and religion is built on lies!" even if it's kinda cliché nowadays; on the other hand Murkoph really doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who can manage such a long con. Sette and Duane both met him, and neither of them seemed like they could really confuse him with the depiction of Ssael that Duane is making.

Yeah, agreed that it'd be sadly typical in a comic that's been pretty good with the twists. The main thing I find odd about that is, Murkoph sat there and watched Duane's entire history play out, complete with his fiery devotion to Ssael. You'd think Ssael himself would bat an eye at that, or have any kind of signal that 'Oh he's yammering about my religion'.

I do like the idea - pulled out of nowhere - that Murkoph is all that's left of Ssael's rotten aspects, willfully shed as he ascended into godhood. And since Ssael found a way to transcend the system, so did all his shed memories.

Edit: Aha, so that's where I read it. Just a few posts above:

quote:

That's my hope, like perhaps he's the manifestation of Ssael's rejected id or something what with how the Khert seems to divvy up memories and desires. I dunno.

I like it!

VictorGrunn fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 3, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I feel like thus far Unsounded - Duane in particular - has managed to present a relatively nuanced take on religion, treating it as a thing with real weight, importance, and presence in its characters' lives (rather than a substitute for personality or an excuse to write an author's tract). Duane's faith causes a lot of problems for him, but it's also the wellspring of his principles and the emotional rock that keeps him going when all else seems lost. He's stubborn and judgmental, but also genuinely caring, compassionate, thoughtful, and selfless; and a host of other things. He's real and human, and his religion's part of that.

With how even-keeled Ashley's been about the whole thing, after all the pain and suffering Duane's gone through only to persevere because of his convictions, "Surprise, your god's actually an arrogant serial rapist murderer pederast megacreep" would leave kind of a bad taste in my mouth. Even if she wants to tackle the "Sorry, your gods are DEAAAAD/wrong/indifferent/inconsequential" angle, there are a lot better ways she could do it than "Sorry, turns out you worship Ted Bundy."

Apropos of nothing, it's not really something I'd worry about since Ashley's proven her skill as a writer several times over, but as a fairly common twist in this sort of fantasy literature it's something that's been on my mind.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Huh, that facial scar is pretty obvious. Also hoping the connection is something like this

VictorGrunn posted:

Murkoph is all that's left of Ssael's rotten aspects, willfully shed as he ascended into godhood.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Duane gave a sermon that talked about how the Khert tried to absorb Ssael and he resisted, so yeah, wouldn't be surprised if Murkoph is a byproduct of that.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Oh god, Quigley doing the awkard "pretending not to see them" thing just fuckin slays me.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The hell are Duane and Sette talking about?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

There's gonna be a reveal on the next/last page

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Fabricated posted:

She evidently made a request for him to write something as they made their off screen escape, and he's of course going to do it now, and do it well!

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
:10bux: it's some variant of "Sette was here".

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Duane thinks it's inappropriate, so it might be a bit stronger than that.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

On one hand, Duane's probably stodgy enough to think signing your name on the side of a destroyed building is rude.

On the other hand, that doesn't seem like it'd be going far enough for Sette.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Gabriel Pope posted:

Oh god, Quigley doing the awkward "pretending not to see them" thing just fuckin slays me.

I know it's great. Completely pointless because Sette got the sent of him, but still amusing.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

idonotlikepeas posted:

Duane thinks it's inappropriate, so it might be a bit stronger than that.
"Sette was here, this is what happens to those that don't pay up". But more coarse. :v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
It's going to be dickbutt.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Now there's a stinger.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 7, 2015

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Time for the winter break. :(

On the plus side, she showed a body, and he looks really freaking dead to me.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I don't know who that guy is but he sure is Anime Fabulous.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Anadyne and Knock-Me-Down, oh no!

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Thus the fate of those who would defy Sette Frummagem.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Nice derp face

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Time for the winter break. :(

On the plus side, she showed a body, and he looks really freaking dead to me.

Yeah, that's a silver-possessed corpse right there. Which technically means he still might return, just, the part to worry about is less the "Starfish" part and more the "silver-possessed" one; that thing is still going, despite everything that happened and Delicieau possibly being blinded. And it seems to be carrying Ana and Knock-Me-Down off with it, so, sucks to be them.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I don't know who that guy is but he sure is Anime Fabulous.

Winalils, the guy who (I think?) reanimated Duane, or at least has something to do with his past. We've seen him in a flashback or two.

Really, I'm wondering where Toma and... The guy with the bad heart (I feel bad but I can't remember his name at the moment) are. We didn't get to see their bodies, so there's a chance of at least one of them returning. Unfortunately in the more immediate sense that won't matter for when Elka shows up and starts questioning Quigley, I imagine.

Also, that writing was probably a bad idea; given the preview, the Crescian military probably won't believe Elka about what happened here, and Sette's message there makes a good scapegoat. Though I suppose from the perspective of her desire for infamy that might not be a bad thing.

Edit: Thinking about it, I'm looking forward to Rahm meeting Duane. That should be interesting.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 7, 2015

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, that's a silver-possessed corpse right there. Which technically means he still might return, just, the part to worry about is less the "Starfish" part and more the "silver-possessed" one; that thing is still going, despite everything that happened and Delicieau possibly being blinded. And it seems to be carrying Ana and Knock-Me-Down off with it, so, sucks to be them.

Regular flavour Starfish was bad enough, silver zombie Starfish is going to be a right sack of dicks.

Roland Jones posted:

Winalils, the guy who (I think?) reanimated Duane, or at least has something to do with his past. We've seen him in a flashback or two.

Ja, though he's never looked so Anime Fabulous before.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

Regular flavour Starfish was bad enough, silver zombie Starfish is going to be a right sack of dicks.

Well, no. Dicks is the one thing he won't have, let alone a sack of them.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Kyte posted:

"Sette was here, this is what happens to those that don't pay up". But more coarse. :v:

Close enough. :v:

Goddamn that's some fab hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Autonomous Monster posted:

Ja, though he's never looked so Anime Fabulous before.

He must've taken Sette's wardrobe criticism to heart.