Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
So being a two handed rogue has been incredibly fun. I set up my PC as a death godlike specializing in two handed swords (and arquebuses while waiting for the tanks to engage). With 18 base strength and dexterity, I swing for lots of damage very often. My sneak attack damage range is pretty large - normal hits average around 60-70 damage on normal targets. Crits are absurd. I once crit for 182 damage on an autoattack. As a rogue, I took all of the talents for crit chance, and I'm running with Palegina for her upgraded Zealous Aura.

In short, every fight that I've thought was hard in past playthroughs has been an absolute cakewalk. As long as I set up my positioning correctly, the enemy dies incredibly quickly. So if you want to have some fun, try a greatsword rogue!

Edit: I just picked up deathblows. Lordy day.

SoldadoDeTone fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Quick question: I'm trying out the White March and found the Ultimate Hat Of Alluring Perfection, which I must have. I notice it has -2 Intellect and Resolve, can I use other items to boost those stats back up? Or does a negative effect suppress other effects on the same stat the same way a positive effect would?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

SoldadoDeTone posted:

So being a two handed rogue has been incredibly fun. I set up my PC as a death godlike specializing in two handed swords (and arquebuses while waiting for the tanks to engage). With 18 base strength and dexterity, I swing for lots of damage very often. My sneak attack damage range is pretty large - normal hits average around 60-70 damage on normal targets. Crits are absurd. I once crit for 182 damage on an autoattack. As a rogue, I took all of the talents for crit chance, and I'm running with Palegina for her upgraded Zealous Aura.

In short, every fight that I've thought was hard in past playthroughs has been an absolute cakewalk. As long as I set up my positioning correctly, the enemy dies incredibly quickly. So if you want to have some fun, try a greatsword rogue!

:yeah:

Forgemaster's Gloves on a Rogue are amazing.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It occurred to me today that a second Obsidian Fallout game that most of us hope for could possibly conflict with a PoE2. I mean this is 100% speculation, we don't know if Bethsoft is even considering going to the well again (by all accounts it seems like NV's production went relatively smoothly and it was obviously a big financial success), but Obsidian only has so many teams in play and right now they've got three projects - a team working on the Russian MMOs, the White March Pt. II, and the AAA game that Feargus teased. Even with a skeleton crew on hand for post-release support going through March or April, they'll have to go somewhere.

I guess it doesn't really matter. If it's a thing that can be pitched it will probably be pitched.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Even with Obsidian at the wheel, the world doesn't need another game using that lovely engine.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

2house2fly posted:

Quick question: I'm trying out the White March and found the Ultimate Hat Of Alluring Perfection, which I must have. I notice it has -2 Intellect and Resolve, can I use other items to boost those stats back up? Or does a negative effect suppress other effects on the same stat the same way a positive effect would?
Penalties are separated from bonuses, so if you have a +2 ring and -2 hat, they should cancel each other out.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Rope Kid with the twitter tease

Apparently fatigue is out save as a consequence of scripted encounters

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Knockout injuries can also inflict fatigue (if you have KO injuries enabled).

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Will Lore continue to be scroll reading stuff or is that gonna be changed too?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

All other skills are unchanged.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Airfoil posted:

Even with Obsidian at the wheel, the world doesn't need another game using that lovely engine.
I'd rather a Fallout Tactics 2 cause that'd be significantly cheaper to make.

SoldadoDeTone posted:

This is one of the few games that makes rogues useful in a way that doesn't involve just giving them magic or making a completely different meta-game with stealth.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 6, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Airfoil posted:

Agreed.

A new isometric Fallout game by Obsidian though? That's a cool game that would never happen.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Ok all my characters are between levels 7-8. Anything really big and obvious I need to know before going to the White March content?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Yeah, gently caress Ogre Cannoneers/Murlocs

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
If Obsidian was to make a Fallout-like game in New Orleans, it doesn't have to be a Fallout game. Could be a Wasteland spin-off, or a whole new franchise (but we really don't need a new post-apoc IP).

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

frajaq posted:

Yeah, gently caress Ogre Cannoneers

Is that an ogre using a literal cannon as a musket? Tell me it's an ogre using a literal cannon as a musket.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

IIRC they fire it more like a bazooka.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

An Obsidian Wasteland game would be a pretty huge waste even if Avellone were still on board tbh. But I wouldn't put it past Fargo to somehow believe that the Wasteland brand is strong enough for iterative franchising to be supported by crowdfunding.

We're talking here about realistic / good project selection on the part of the company. Tactics 2 / an isometric Fallout will never happen because the first Tactics didn't sell well when tactilol TB combat was a going concern. It could be fun to see an XCOM rip-off in the setting but hoo lord if you thought the fan base could get madder OR spergier, well.

Obviously JSaw is being careful with his words but it seems like the pursuit of a PoE sequel is a certainty, I'm just speculating on the possibility of other things.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Gamebryo couldn't ruin how amazingly fun and interesting New Vegas turned out, so I don't care about engine jankiness, I'd buy another Obsidian Fallout game day 1

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Krowley posted:

Gamebryo couldn't ruin how amazingly fun and interesting New Vegas turned out,

It ruined it for me and at least one other person in this thread but I get the idea we're outliers.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Well, a friend of mine had the misfortune of trying to play it on PS3 so I realize people might disagree with me

Either way, FO4 should be a better baseline for a new spinoff

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'd like another Obsidian Fallout, but I'd rather the company go hog wild with a whole new IP (gently caress You, Suck My Dick: Josh Sawyer's Personal Dream RPG needs to be made, hth) or PoE 2

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Still waiting for that Darklands sequel.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I don't know if it has to be a Darkland's sequel per-se, I just want a medieval RPG with weird Christian-mythology magic. Darklands, Ars Magica, an original pseudo-historical setting, they'd all be equally good.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I've got Fallout out of my system for another 4 years. Give me the Darklands game or whatever it was rope kid was talking about a few pages ago.

Really I just want a new setting.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I'd like to see Obsidian do something sci-fi - or at least not fantasy and not Fallout. Alpha Protocol was great, something along those lines but in the infinity engine style could be really cool I think.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

tanglewood1420 posted:

I'd like to see Obsidian do something sci-fi - or at least not fantasy and not Fallout. Alpha Protocol was great, something along those lines but in the infinity engine style could be really cool I think.

I can't see guns working in the infinity engine style at all.

But given that HBS look like they'll be spending then next 5 years or so making Battletech games, maybe they'd be interested in licensing out Shadowrun?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Fallout is just fine in Bethesda's hands, I rather see a VtM game from Obsidian... and PoE 2 obviously

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Never played it, but I read through the Ars Magica rule book recently and I do like the setting quite a bit.

How much could the CRPG rights to that franchise cost? Not much, I'm guessing.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The Order of Hermes is really the only thing about Ars Magica that isn't taken from medieval European history and folklore, and even the OoH is inspired by "real" Hermeticism (duh).

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

The Sharmat posted:

It ruined it for me and at least one other person in this thread but I get the idea we're outliers.
That was me.

Krowley posted:

the misfortune of trying to play it on PS3
Also me. :v:

CommissarMega posted:

I'd like another Obsidian Fallout, but I'd rather the company go hog wild with a whole new IP (gently caress You, Suck My Dick: Josh Sawyer's Personal Dream RPG needs to be made, hth) or PoE 2
Yeah, I think Obsidian can easily make a better setting than whatever you could get from any tabletop RPGs and nostalgia-fueling video game IPs out there that haven't been claimed by Kickstarters yet.

Also, I'm really glad PoE is not a D&D game and free of baggage like Elminster.

Edit: I'm kind of surprised a Vampire The Masquerade: Rebirth KS hasn't happened yet.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 6, 2015

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

rope kid posted:

The Order of Hermes is really the only thing about Ars Magica that isn't taken from medieval European history and folklore, and even the OoH is inspired by "real" Hermeticism (duh).

True. Ars Magica is probably obscure enough that the name isn't going to generate enough video game sales to be worth the licensing costs.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

I dunno, ARSE MAGIC might prove popular for those spontaneous late-night buys

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'd rather a Fallout Tactics 2 cause that'd be significantly cheaper to make.

The Sharmat posted:

A new isometric Fallout game by Obsidian though? That's a cool game that would never happen.

I've said it a bunch of times, but I still think a 'traditional' Fallout game called Fallout: Tactics 2 would be a good fit for Obsidian. Literally make a direct gameplay followup to Fallout 1/2 but slap Tactics on the name because it's an existing sub-franchise (thus safer) and because it distinguishes it from Neo Action-Fallout.

It could also be made for literally an order of magnitude less than Fallout 4's 100+ million dev/marketing budget.

Put it on the PoE engine.

Really though, it's probably best if Obsidian stops depending on handouts from giant publishers and starts crowdfunding more of their own new IP. Crowdfund PoE II, sure, but let's have something else new too.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The PoE engine would be absolutely loving terrible for a Fallout game.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Khizan posted:

The PoE engine would be absolutely loving terrible for a Fallout game.

Well, I assume it would be enhanced for more object interactivity and such. You'd be using the base rendering/movement stuff from PoE, not the higher level polish that make it feel like Baldur's Gate. I'm pretty sure they could make the base engine feel like Fallout.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Fintilgin posted:

Really though, it's probably best if Obsidian stops depending on handouts from giant publishers

I get the impression this is more or less impossible for a large independent developer outside of Eastern Europe or something.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

rope kid posted:

If you have any additional feedback, it's something we may be able to address in the future.

Personally, I was really happy. For the price of two pints of beer I got two full days of TWM shenanigans and got all of my crew to level cap.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm trying out White March 1 in anticipation of 2 coming out in 2 months or so, there certainly seems to be plenty of questing to do. I did the areaa to the east and west of Stalwart, apparently you find the Devil Of Caroc in the Battery area, the one place I didn't go. Zahua is cool, I've not tried a monk out before and it looks like it's a lot of micromanagement but pretty good damage output. Areas look very pretty too. Alpine dragon kicked my rear end so I loaded and ran away.

Is there still going to be a barbarian companion in part 2? Will they do a little intro update for them like they did for the part 1 companions? I hope I get to fill out my party with someone from each class. I also hope it's not a human because there's already plenty in the party. Someone from a race the player can't even select would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So I am going to give the game another shot what is the most overpowered / fun classes?

• Locked thread