Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

That's a link from April. Of last year...

I think you mean this one:

http://deadspin.com/gregg-popovich-requests-craig-sager-ask-him-inane-ques-1746110335

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Timby posted:

Believe it or not, he's been with the network since he was 24 (I believe he's something like employee #3). In addition to being one of the few Republicans at the network, he lives an extremely clean life, which is probably a huge factor in how he still has his babyface at his age.
ESPN is filled with liberals? I never really got that sense.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hockles posted:

http://deadspin.com/gregg-popovich-requests-craig-sager-ask-him-inane-ques-1746110335

Aaah poo poo you're right. Got my copy-paste wrong. Thanks :cheers:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol nice

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hockles posted:

Craig Sr is cool for refusing kid gloves despite being sick.

Can I get some context?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Can I get some context?
ESPN is the TV equivalent of the forums

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Craig Sr is cool for refusing kid gloves despite being sick.

Can I get some context?

ESPN has lost something like 7M subscribers over the past couple of years as more people drop cable. Simultaneously, pro sports leagues are asking for richer TV contracts and Disney is putting pressure on ESPN to cut costs. ESPN's headed toward a bad place right now and their only solution so far has been to fire people.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Anals of History posted:

ESPN's headed toward a bad place right now and their only solution so far has been to fire people.

To be fair, that's pretty much all the company can do. Earlier this year, they had something like 7,000 employees worldwide, and I think they badly over-extended themselves with all the new sets and facilities they've been building over the past few years (the new SportsCenter set they built last year cost something like $125 million alone) -- the company was very clearly burning through cash at a time when it should have been really looking at a long-term strategy for revenue management.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Timby posted:

To be fair, that's pretty much all the company can do. Earlier this year, they had something like 7,000 employees worldwide, and I think they badly over-extended themselves with all the new sets and facilities they've been building over the past few years (the new SportsCenter set they built last year cost something like $125 million alone) -- the company was very clearly burning through cash at a time when it should have been really looking at a long-term strategy for revenue management.

That's fair. Maybe a better way to put it is that we haven't seen them figure out a way to improve revenues just yet. It's hard to tell what's happening to increase money coming in aside from draining Draft Kings' advertising budget for as long as they could.

I do wonder if ESPN was making a conscious effort to blow their money on amortizable expenses so they could drain the budget and justify the later firings. Like, it blows my mind (even though it really shouldn't) that no one at ESPN thought technology might mess with how they do things. It's hard to rationalize the over-extension otherwise.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I wonder if the whole set-redesign was a response to FS1 and feeling they needed a new look to keep eyeballs (considering no one watches FS1 either they've succeeded or overreacted).

There's also the idea that the set is more important than the people who work on it, but this thread doesn't need to go full DnD again.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

C. Everett Koop posted:

I wonder if the whole set-redesign was a response to FS1 and feeling they needed a new look to keep eyeballs (considering no one watches FS1 either they've succeeded or overreacted).

There's also the idea that the set is more important than the people who work on it, but this thread doesn't need to go full DnD again.

Nah. ESPN opened up a new state of the art complex and gave a studio in it to SC.

No one would build an entirely new complex because of FS1.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Danny Kanell lost his mind on Twitter about how liberals are killing football with a fake crisis over concussions and CTE.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

FlamingLiberal posted:

Danny Kanell lost his mind on Twitter about how liberals are killing football with a fake crisis over concussions and CTE.

PFTCommenter outed

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

ESPN personalities melting down on twitter and facebook is entertaining as hell

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Danny Kanell is dumb as all hell just in general.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Anals of History posted:

That's fair. Maybe a better way to put it is that we haven't seen them figure out a way to improve revenues just yet. It's hard to tell what's happening to increase money coming in aside from draining Draft Kings' advertising budget for as long as they could.

I do wonder if ESPN was making a conscious effort to blow their money on amortizable expenses so they could drain the budget and justify the later firings. Like, it blows my mind (even though it really shouldn't) that no one at ESPN thought technology might mess with how they do things. It's hard to rationalize the over-extension otherwise.

The thing to me though is that ESPN can sort of also just ride this out. Obviously slowly bleeding money isn't good for business, but they're still the A number 1 big dog on the block. They've got backing from the mouse and they're making cuts right now. Its simultaneously a bit dire, but also no time to panic either. I feel like they're just trying to stabilize...though I do feel like that new studio was kind of loving insane. I'm also kind of surprised they didn't make the decision to maybe move more of their production out of Bristol. Like, setup a new studio in Los Angeles or something.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

MourningView posted:

Danny Kanell is dumb as all hell just in general.

Thinks there's a "war on football", thinks "Redskins" isn't racist, thinks college athletes shouldn't be paid, he's either really stupid or the highly suggestible type

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

soggybagel posted:

The thing to me though is that ESPN can sort of also just ride this out. Obviously slowly bleeding money isn't good for business, but they're still the A number 1 big dog on the block. They've got backing from the mouse and they're making cuts right now. Its simultaneously a bit dire, but also no time to panic either. I feel like they're just trying to stabilize...though I do feel like that new studio was kind of loving insane. I'm also kind of surprised they didn't make the decision to maybe move more of their production out of Bristol. Like, setup a new studio in Los Angeles or something.

They reworked the LA studio a few years after they did DC2.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

Thinks there's a "war on football", thinks "Redskins" isn't racist, thinks college athletes shouldn't be paid, he's either really stupid or the highly suggestible type
The correct term is 'Republican'.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

ElwoodCuse posted:

Part of me is skeptical that ESPN hot-takers actually believe what they say

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Muddy Burphy posted:

Part of me is skeptical that ESPN hot-takers actually believe what they say

I've been this way a while now. Skip Bayless seems like a pretty solid guy when he's off camera and I figure most of it is the whole shock jock thing where you just say whatever to get the viewers.

E: Hell, Colin Cowherd makes an entire career out of poo poo like calling John Wall a friend of the family without outright saying the word.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

soggybagel posted:

ESPN has a digital content problem. MLB Advanced Media (MLB, NHL, WWE, PGA), DirecTV (NFL) and Turner (NBA) already have internet platforms that are available today. ESPN has no distribution platform and there's very little content that isn't already locked up. I think even NASCAR has their own platform. To compete in the cordless future ESPN needs to build out a streaming platform (or partner with someone like Netflix or Amazon) and also somehow convince leagues that they can make more money distributing through ESPN than they can with their current partners. ESPN's non-live sports content is not going to get them the subscriber numbers they need to succeed unless they can also get exclusive rights to something like the NFL's digital rights. If they try to ride this out they are going to end up as a content producer for Disney/NBC's eventual platforms. That's going to be a much smaller much less relevant ESPN.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
They have a streaming platform called WatchESPN. They just don't offer it as a service that anyone can buy; it only comes with your tv subscription.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

ayn rand hand job posted:

They reworked the LA studio a few years after they did DC2.

I was thinking more moving the braintrust out of Bristol and dropping it in a bigger media market.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kibner posted:

They have a streaming platform called WatchESPN. They just don't offer it as a service that anyone can buy; it only comes with your tv subscription.

Yeah, it's really just a matter of offering it as a standalone thing. I assume right now they think it's more profitable to keep their cable partners happy so they can keep collection gigantic rights fees, but it's probably only a matter of time before they offer an over the top version of their streaming app like HBO has done.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
To me it's ridiculous that Fox Sports doesn't do a hockey show. Like, once a week 30 minutes. Hockey fans like hockey content. They hired Jay And Dan...hockey guys. Might as well use the talent rather than relegating hockey highlights on FSLive to the last half of the show.

Basically if you're going to be second banana to ESPN anyways, might as well own the 2nd tier people.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 10, 2015

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

soggybagel posted:

To me it's ridiculous that Fox Sports doesn't do a hockey show. Like, once a week 30 minutes. Hockey fans like hockey content. They hired Jay And Dan...hockey guys. Might as well use the talent rather than relegating hockey highlights on FSLive to the last half of the show.

Basically if you're going to be second banana to ESPN anyways, might as well own the 2nd tier people.
That's what NBCSN is for.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

the talent deficit posted:

To compete in the cordless future ESPN needs to build out a streaming platform (or partner with someone like Netflix or Amazon)

People have already mentioned WatchESPN but live streaming is very different from the on-demand streaming that Netflix and Amazon do.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

hello I just watched the Dolph Lundgren film Dark Angel and Jay Bilas shows up as an alien

ok bye

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kirk Herbstreit got Chris Fowler back for the zombie prank during their broadcast of the Temple/ND football game

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Deadspin posted:

Fox is reportedly removing Harold Reynolds and Tom Verducci from the network’s MLB booth. John Smoltz will be Joe Buck’s new partner.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh glorious day

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
john smoltz is also a bad announcer

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Disney may have finally realized that putting the college football playoff games on New Years Eve was a terrible idea.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

In fairness, how much of this is the Rose Bowl's fault for not willing to concede it's regular time slot?

Although I don't know why they couldn't do it on January 2nd this time.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Vertical Lime posted:

In fairness, how much of this is the Rose Bowl's fault for not willing to concede it's regular time slot?

Decent chunk. The Rose Bowl not being one of the games kills New Years Day since its run against the early semi-final timeslot.

Disney hates it on New Years Eve, but the NCAA/CFP people refused to change it to Saturday when they were presented with a proposal tell I g them that this is a really bad idea you idiots.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Wait the playoff games are today

huh

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Vertical Lime posted:

The sugar not wanting to move was a bigger problem. But neither of those really excuses moving it up to New Year's Eve instead of back to the 2nd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Playoff ratings were a disaster