Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
I like how in that picture they put the one guy with normal legs in the back to obscure his thunder thighs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, I see what you mean.

I'm glad they're getting more popular because my main thought while seeing them was that they need to eat more.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, I see what you mean.

Frank Zappa's looking good in his afterlife.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I'm gonna go see Abbath this January, along with Behemoth, Inquisition and Entombed. :3: That set list doesn't look bad, haven't really listened to I, but yeah I hope they play more old Immortal.

few pages back but, me too! In Stockholm or?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I went to visit some friends out of state and he gave me Blut aus Nord's Memoria Vetustia II. Can you guys recommend me some more stuff along similar lines?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Skilleddk posted:

few pages back but, me too! In Stockholm or?

Gothenburg, unfortunately. Thanks for quoting me though, I had forgotten about the set list (if it's in any way indicative of what they will be playing in january).

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress living in Canada. Get nothing like that. :(

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Sade posted:

I went to visit some friends out of state and he gave me Blut aus Nord's Memoria Vetustia II. Can you guys recommend me some more stuff along similar lines?

Memoria Vetusta III :smug:

You'd also probably like Obsequiae's Aria of Vernal Tombs.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What were people's fave releases this year? It seemed like an okay year and these were some of my faves.

Archgoat - Apocalyptic Triumphator - I like it enough but then again I don't play it tons.
Possession - 1585 -1646 - Possession is great
Macabre Omen - Gods of War, At War - I think it might be my favourite album this year.
Gouge - Beyond Death - Came under the radar but I've been listening to it more the past month or so.
Mgla - Exercises in Futility - Mgla is usually great
Deathhammer - Evil Power
Revenge - Behold.Total.Rejection - Nobody really sounds like these guys but this one reminds me of Conqueror. Vicious.

Not 2015 releases but I was happy to get them this year

Cult of Fire - मृत्यु का तापसी अनुध्यान - A little hit and miss but some of these songs are so good.
Blasphemy - Fallen Angel of Doom - Old classic that NWN released again and will keep in production apparently. Plus they're doing a new material for 2016

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Peste Noire, Archgoat and Mgla had good releases. Everything else I've heard this year has been forgettable or downright bad

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Akhlys and Genocide Shrines were good

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Throaat ~ Black Speed
Some pretty killer crunchy black speed/thrash and a Venom cover that doesn't suck.

Black Cilice ~ Mysteries
Some of the best drowned out, haunting raw black metal I've heard since the last time Paysage D'Hiver did a thing.

Liturgy ~ The Ark Work
A lot of people didn't like this, but they're probably bad people. It attempts to reach further beyond its genre roots than Aesthethica did and flies a 'lil too close to the sun, but I kept listening to it, so they did something right.

Obsequiae ~ Aria of Vernal Tombs
This is just pure baroque decadence with a guy screaming over it. It works far better than it should and I love it for that.

Akitsa ~ Grans Tyrans
Gross barf music for idiots like me who think Bone Awl/Raspberry Bulbs are the bee's knees.

Maléfices ~ Hurlemort
Overall a very good EP, the only let down is that the updated version of 'Satanizt' doesn't live up to the raw power of the demo version which is phenomenal.

Honourable mention: that Death Hammer album is pretty rad too, but it all sorta bleeds together.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 6, 2015

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh I got that Akitsa tape and I did like it. Probably should have mentioned that one.

And Panphage. Panphage is good.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Danny LaFever posted:

And Panphage. Panphage is good.

Oh yeah forgot about that one. It's really good

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Batushka is pretty cool. Black/death/doom with clean vocals, some melody, and a good atmosphere. Easily digestable.

https://witchinghourproductions.bandcamp.com/album/litourgiya

I am also obligated to (again) mention One Master's album as one of the best of the year. Fuel for nightmares/cursed dreams.
http://eternaldeath.bandcamp.com/album/reclusive-blasphemy

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Zodijackylite posted:

Batushka is pretty cool. Black/death/doom with clean vocals, some melody, and a good atmosphere. Easily digestable.

https://witchinghourproductions.bandcamp.com/album/litourgiya

A friend just posted this on facebook and it's pretty alright! Orthodox black metal taken to its logical conclusion

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives.
I didn't really get into black metal much before this year, so I'm still not totally up to speed, but Mgła was definitely my #1 out of what I heard. I also enjoyed Panopticon & Leviathan (to a lesser extent).

One other thing I stumbled on that I really dug which I haven't seen mentioned as much was Frozen Obscene Deliverance by Brulvahnatu. I don't have any great points of comparison for it, it's just a pretty ambitious and chaotic one man project.

https://brulvahnatu.bandcamp.com

Edit: I knew I was going to gently caress up that link.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Mastery - VALIS was really good also

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

The stuff that came out this year that I really dug was:
False - Untitled
Sun Worship - Elder Giants
Vanum - Realm of Sacrifice
All three have long arrangements with a lot of dynamic changes and beautiful instrumentation without losing intensity.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Vanum, Obsequiae, and Akitsa were all really good. To those, I'd add:

Adversarial, D.E.N.A.T.B.K.O.N (if that counts)

Ethereal Shroud, They Became the Falling Ash

Lluvia, Eternidad Solemne

Misþyrming, Söngvar Elds Og Óreiðu

Slægt, Ildsvanger

The Yellow Eyes full length would probably make the list if it makes it out by the end of year, but we'll see.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

deadking posted:

Slægt, Ildsvanger

The Slaegt EP is very good too, although they've already changed style quite a bit from the album.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
Wow that litourgiya is pretty awesome. Thanks for the link!

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

Zodijackylite posted:

I am also obligated to (again) mention One Master's album as one of the best of the year. Fuel for nightmares/cursed dreams.
http://eternaldeath.bandcamp.com/album/reclusive-blasphemy

I've been listening to this every day since you posted, really clicking.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
It's a pretty good one, thanks for posting it.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
hard to pick a favorite, but these are top in no particular order:

Deafheaven - New Bermuda obviously. Harsher and rawer Roads to Judah which is fine by me. Another Sunbather would be boring

Mgla - Exercises in Fulitity My homeland creates some beautiful BM :v: I liked With Heart Towards None, but this one.. just haven't stopped listening to it since release

Bosse De Nage - All fours Has my fav track of this year so far, Washerwoman. So loving intense and depressive :v:

Myrkur - M Has many outright weak points, but overall a different and unique enough album for me to like.

I'm obviously biased towards hipster metal. But gently caress Liturgy lol that poo poo sucked.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
I really liked Dendritic Arbor - Romantic Love this year. Black Metal / Grindcore / Noise.

https://dendriticarbors.bandcamp.com/album/romantic-love

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Not the best year for black metal quantity-wise, but Mgla was such good quality that I don't really care. Macabre Omen was also really good, as was Misthyrming.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski
Massive depression this year has made me fall behind on new releases (also why I haven't posted here in forever), so there are plenty I still need to listen to. As of right now, my favorites include:

A Forest of Stars - Beware the Sword You Cannot See - Oh man do I love bat poo poo insane black metals.

Dodheimsgard - A Umbra Omega - See above comment.

Il'ithil - Ia'Winde - Probably my favorite atmospheric release this year. Then again, there was Midnight Odyssey - Shards of Silver Fade, if you wanna lump atmospheric and ambient together, because those two styles tend to overlap anyways. Also gotta give props to Wiegedood - De Doden Heben Het Goed and the chameleon band Abigail Williams - The Accuser.

And, predictably, my list includes Mgla - Exercises in Futility.

E: This album would probably be on the list too if I found all of it.

Robophile posted:

I didn't really get into black metal much before this year, so I'm still not totally up to speed, but Mgła was definitely my #1 out of what I heard. I also enjoyed Panopticon & Leviathan (to a lesser extent).

One other thing I stumbled on that I really dug which I haven't seen mentioned as much was Frozen Obscene Deliverance by Brulvahnatu. I don't have any great points of comparison for it, it's just a pretty ambitious and chaotic one man project.

https://brulvahnatu.bandcamp.com

Edit: I knew I was going to gently caress up that link.

poo poo I remember finding Misshapen White Hand a couple years ago. Chaos is right.

Blue Wher fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 15, 2015

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
I thought it was a good year

My favourite was definitely the new Krallice album as well as:

Leviathan - Scar Sighted

Mgla - Exercises in Futility

Nechochwen - Heart of Akamon

Sigh - Graveward

Panopticon - Autumn Eternal

Also shoutouts to the new Abigail Williams and Bosse-de-Nage albums which were also great.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
MGLA was my number one for the year with Wiegedood coming in close second. Deafheaven was disappointing, decent but not what I really expected and a little too much cheese. Krallice was good but a little too dissonantly weird and shreddy for my tastes, I wanted more Years Past Matter so I ended up listening to that album instead. Also Spectral Lore had a new album recently out, haven't spent much time with it but I love the last two tracks on III and those are slow burners that are best listened to on long drives, so I'll give the new album a shot in that context.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Panopticon, Death Karma, Mgla, Obsequiae, Leviathan, Akhlys, and Misthyrming were my black metal picks for AOTY. I was also pleasantly surprised by the newest Marduk-album.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Blue Wher posted:

Bekëth Nexëhmü

Oh man, thanks for this.

I've enjoyed most of the black metal I've heard this year but Mgla and Leviathan are the tops.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

I just noticed a Liturgy mention on this page. I me,an, I know that they're pretty much ragged on all the time and their singer is a bit of a... something... and, heck, I dropped listening to them as soon as I found Krallice, but had I never heard someone spin their "Returner" back on turntable.fm (RIP), I probably would have never gotten into black metal at all.

smiph
Jul 30, 2005

Jagshemas!
Anyone here planning on going to Oration MMXVI in february?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I'll have to add Panopticon to my list best of 2015 list. I was never a fan of Kentucky so I skipped Autumn Forever, but seeing it mentioned so many times I gave it a spin. First listen and I'm already repeating tracks over an over.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Magia Gwiezdnej Entropii is rad! Also giving me Rotting Christ vibes in some places, am I going crazy?

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Start off the new year in an awesome way with a brand new Krallice EP!

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Blue Wher posted:

Start off the new year in an awesome way with a brand new Krallice EP!

This is great, the last track is very Diotima-ish which is def the best Krallice album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smiph
Jul 30, 2005

Jagshemas!

Skilleddk posted:

I'll have to add Panopticon to my list best of 2015 list. I was never a fan of Kentucky so I skipped Autumn Forever, but seeing it mentioned so many times I gave it a spin. First listen and I'm already repeating tracks over an over.

Checked this out yesterday and it was really good. Thanks!