Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

you should set your next SC bug video to their #1 song: FULL BURN

:barf:

No offense to the artist, but god drat that's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

ASK ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO SUCK OFF CHRIS ROBERTS
I see it's a slow day of SC news. I actually managed to catch up to the end of the thread only to see nothing worth reading :( DS you disappoint me.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

Gryphon0468 posted:

I see it's a slow day of SC news. I actually managed to catch up to the end of the thread only to see nothing worth reading :( DS you disappoint me.

In a way, every day is a slow day of SC news, because the game is trapped forever in a Sisyphean loop of engine rewrites.

Edit: apparently you missed this?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Like most of Star Citizen CR's descriptions are intentionally vague enough that they can be used to describe anything. That's because he talks about the tech and not the actual mechanics. That said you're right about SC having a distinct (and often fun) flight experience. It's been months since I played it so I'm not sure how things have change. What bothers me is that CIG has created this really interesting and dynamic flight experience with fast paced action and then hosed it all up with their bullshit fainting and g-force mechanics. It's stupid, especially when you consider that your ship can be spinning at a hilariously high rate and you can walk around the inside like nothing matters.

I think that CIG really wanted airplanes in space. People chase each other around amazing structures and through asteroids but what they built was a game where you turret a lot and hope you blap the other person before they blap you. It feels like there's a disconnect that's exacerbated by Croberts holding tightly to his old philosophies of low top speed, high acceleration, extreme turn speed compounded by a total uncertainty of how design should meet their "ok lets make it newtonian so we can say we're physics people" mindset. Build me an airplane but for space! Who cares of thrusters literally can't point in the direction of travel!

But maybe I'm reading too much into all of the promotional material; which is basically a series of airplane videos directed by Chris Roberts while the game is basically air hockey with guns.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Gryphon0468 posted:

Got your refund yet, citizen?

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Why even try guys.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

blueberrysmith posted:

Why even try guys.

Not seeing any problems here to be honest.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Humorous sarcastic comment.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Dogstoyevsky posted:

Not seeing any problems here to be honest.
I don't get what's embarassing though

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

blueberrysmith posted:

Why even try guys.
4 years of development is something most backers can only dream of.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dusty Lens posted:

I approve of that comment.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Why doesn't the first year of development count again?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Dusty Lens posted:

Semicolon dash close parenthesis.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Fil5000 posted:

Shitizens use some hilarious arithmetic to count development time

For all other games: time since last release of game in same series
For SC: who the gently caress knows

Since Freelancer was released in 2003, Star Citizen has actually been in development for twelve years

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fil5000 posted:

because they celebrated the 3 year birthday at shitcon, not 4 year DUH

though lol if croberts did pay himself, sandi and ortman for the first year of development retroactively

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Since Freelancer was released in 2003, Star Citizen has actually been in development for twelve years

seems legit. going with this now

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Anything funny happen in the last week?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Glumslinger posted:

Anything funny happen in the last week?

Star Citizen.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dusty Lens posted:

I think that CIG really wanted airplanes in space. People chase each other around amazing structures and through asteroids but what they built was a game where you turret a lot and hope you blap the other person before they blap you. It feels like there's a disconnect that's exacerbated by Croberts holding tightly to his old philosophies of low top speed, high acceleration, extreme turn speed compounded by a total uncertainty of how design should meet their "ok lets make it newtonian so we can say we're physics people" mindset. Build me an airplane but for space! Who cares of thrusters literally can't point in the direction of travel!

But maybe I'm reading too much into all of the promotional material; which is basically a series of airplane videos directed by Chris Roberts while the game is basically air hockey with guns.

No that's pretty much it. They wanted space jets. That's why all the ships look like space jets, that's why the biggest engines are in the back, and that's why all of the promotions features ships chasing each other. And frankly it could have worked well had they simply declared that to be their intent and gone along with it. But for whatever reason they outright cheated their own physics engine, made the maneuvering thrusters nearly as powerful as the main one, and then stopped giving a poo poo in spite of having years to address it. It's a perfect example of how Chris will go apeshit over the tech and visuals and then stop at actually making a fun game.

Dusty Lens posted:

Topically relevant tiny animated image indicating approval.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

though lol if croberts did pay himself, sandi and ortman for the first year of development retroactively

What does your heart tell you? :cmon:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The part where the PR manager / movie star with five degrees accidentally announced the game was available to play now on a mass market trailer was good.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fil5000 posted:

Because it doesn't fit within the narrative that things are fine.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

blueberrysmith posted:

Why even try guys.

Wait a minute.... The Fart Shitizen Kickstarter was 2012 and at the time Chris said a 2014 release was realistic because they'd been working on the game for a year already. Does that cultist think Chris lied?

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Dusty Lens posted:

I think it really boils down to CR trying to please everyone at once and this is the first area where it is biting him in the rear end. You can't have airplanes in space AND newtonian physics at the same time. This "IFCS+Combstab" thing allows people who want space planes to fly that way, but they are going to be pissed when someone else turrets. Meanwhile you got the "I want true newtonian" people pissed over the powerful manuevering thrusters that make airplanes in space possible also allows for strafing and all kinds of crazy manuevers that don't rely on the main thruster.

Net Result: Spergs from both camps are pissed.

Personally I think its pretty good so far, but Cruise Mode as it functions now is a mistake. It makes it trivially easy to run away, and plotting an intercept is exceptionally difficult. Your odds of overshooting are high. Although making the "Match Speed" work as a "Close to 1000 meters then match speed" key would fix this problem.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

update: he woke up, walked down some stairs, crashed.

I watched him for a bit. By the time I left, he'd crashed 9 times.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

A Neurotic Jew posted:

update: he woke up, walked down some stairs, crashed.

Maybe Star Citizen is the terrible secret of space.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MeLKoR posted:

It doesn't even have to be coordinated ramming, it's enough that a lot of the time there is someone around ramming and stealing ships and ruining their immersion. I've made it my personal goal to see how far they can take it before they throw their hands up in disgust until CIG releases something new that they hope they will be able to enjoy. But by the time that happens it won't be just a dozen goons going mostly solo like me. :black101:

Why wait for things to come tumbling down by themselves when we can easily troll the old timers and especially the newcomers out of the game with so little effort. The more ganking the less funding I always say.

Hey Derek, have you considered making a donation for the Jihad fund? You could easily bank dozens of gankers and then poo poo would really start to get funny.

There's a Jihad fund? How did I not know about this?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Berious posted:

Wait a minute.... The Fart Shitizen Kickstarter was 2012 and at the time Chris said a 2014 release was realistic because they'd been working on the game for a year already. Does that cultist think Chris lied?

Why let something silly like reality get in the way?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Skellybones posted:

Maybe Star Citizen is the terrible secret of space.

No one is protected now.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

The game already offers so much. One of my most exhilirating gaming moments of recent times was in PTU 2.0, getting onboard a Constellation where 3 friends tried to go and do missions, crawling in the shadows so they wouldn't notice me and rushing for the pilot seat the moment their pilot got up only to ram the ship into a station killing all of us.

LOL!!! Yeah, I've been reading about similar stories.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Berious posted:

My favorite form of cognitive dissonance in SC cultists would be the oft touted "If you're asking why it's not done yet you clearly know nothing about game development" and "I never once believed that it would be ready by ______. It was simply an estimate and it wasn't really intended for 'us' if you know what I mean ; )".

You're a loser because your dad abandoned you, mine is just out getting cigarettes and he'll be back any day now because he loves me.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Eldragon posted:

I think it really boils down to CR trying to please everyone at once and this is the first area where it is biting him in the rear end. You can't have airplanes in space AND newtonian physics at the same time. This "IFCS+Combstab" thing allows people who want space planes to fly that way, but they are going to be pissed when someone else turrets. Meanwhile you got the "I want true newtonian" people pissed over the powerful manuevering thrusters that make airplanes in space possible also allows for strafing and all kinds of crazy manuevers that don't rely on the main thruster.

Net Result: Spergs from both camps are pissed.

Personally I think its pretty good so far, but Cruise Mode as it functions now is a mistake. It makes it trivially easy to run away, and plotting an intercept is exceptionally difficult. Your odds of overshooting are high. Although making the "Match Speed" work as a "Close to 1000 meters then match speed" key would fix this problem.

"match speed" is very complex math. I should know, I did it. Like three decades ago and is still in my games :)

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Dusty Lens posted:

You're a loser because your dad abandoned you, mine is just out getting cigarettes and he'll be back any day now because he loves me.

When the inevitable crash and burn happens and CRoberts + Sandi run off with whatever's left of the money for their Hollywood schemes, the phrase from the cultists will likely be: "Yaknow...even though it didn't work out, at least CRoberts is UP THERE puffin' clouds in the sky, smiling down on us for our faith in him."

Technically it'll be true too. After all, I'm sure every con man smiles at the thought of the saps they ripped off.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Berious posted:

No. They just mentally edit that part out. You have to rectify the past to achieve goodthink, after all.

Oceanea has always been at war with Eastasia Star Ctizen was always slated for a 2014 2015 2016 2017 release and development only ever really started in 2011 2012 2013 2014.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Your ships are not safe citizens, we call for a goon hidden in every toilet, mouth agape

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tippis posted:

No. They just mentally edit that part out. You have to rectify the past to achieve goodthink, after all.

Oceanea has always been at war with Eastasia Star Ctizen was always slated for a 2014 2015 2016 2017 release and development only ever really started in 2011 2012 2013 2014.

Yes. Because you know, they had to build a company, studios all those years. Then the real development started in Nov 2014. But it's all good now though because it's coming in 2016.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Lowtax Akbar!

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip
! Here's another one.

http://www.bidnessetc.com/58777-will-star-citizen-ever-take-off/

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Gryphon0468 posted:

breaking: woke up, walked down stairs, crashed. What a doozy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A Neurotic Jew posted:

breaking: woke up, walked down stairs, crashed. What a doozy.

trip report of someone playing SC or :lesnick:'s morning routine??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

No that's pretty much it. They wanted space jets. That's why all the ships look like space jets, that's why the biggest engines are in the back, and that's why all of the promotions features ships chasing each other. And frankly it could have worked well had they simply declared that to be their intent and gone along with it. But for whatever reason they outright cheated their own physics engine, made the maneuvering thrusters nearly as powerful as the main one, and then stopped giving a poo poo in spite of having years to address it. It's a perfect example of how Chris will go apeshit over the tech and visuals and then stop at actually making a fun game.
Didn't the whole maneuvering thrusters idea come about because of the sperg team for the ship contest that actually 'balanced' their ship around thrusters having individual physics?

I only say this because I remember the Cutlass not having those hilarious maneuvering thrusters bolted onto the side of the hull until after the contest.

• Locked thread