Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The load times for the console version of Just Cause 3 are completely ridiculous. I had one earlier today that was four minutes. Also the online system sucks as there's a prompt that says "play offline" but it doesn't actually do anything because the next time you try to use a menu it tries to log in again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

QuietLion posted:

I'm not sure which thread in PYF I saw it in, but there's a FO4 gif somewhere in which someone shot a human skull from a gun in VATS and exploded a Super Mutant's head. :stare:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So this is the dumbest complaint ever but I play a lot of lovely gacha f2p mobile games because they're free and not bad time wasters until they hit the point where you can't really progress without spending money. The complaint comes from the fact that most of them have PVP. loving why, there's literally no skill in these games it just comes down to whether or not you were lucky enough to get objectively better guys than the guys you're fighting because a dude with poo poo ranked characters will never beat someone with slightly less lovely ranked guys. What even is the point?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nuebot posted:

So this is the dumbest complaint ever but I play a lot of lovely gacha f2p mobile games because they're free and not bad time wasters until they hit the point where you can't really progress without spending money. The complaint comes from the fact that most of them have PVP. loving why, there's literally no skill in these games it just comes down to whether or not you were lucky enough to get objectively better guys than the guys you're fighting because a dude with poo poo ranked characters will never beat someone with slightly less lovely ranked guys. What even is the point?

i'm guessing the guys with poo poo characters, if they're invested enough in the game, will throw money in to get better characters and come out on top.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I hate it when to get 100% you have to play a mini-game that is completely at odds with the rest of the game. I am one heart-piece short in A Link between Worlds because I can't win at Octoball Derby. Where the rest of the game has you fighting monsters and looking for treasure under rocks, here you have to learn a completely new skill-set. I have no idea how baseball works, but apparently it involves breaking pottery with balls you hit with your bat, and for every three pots you hit in a row a bird shows up, you hit the bird and you do this five times. Hitting a moving crab replenishes the broken pottery. There's probably a method to this but it's such a poorly thought-out mini-game that isn't fun or fair in the slightest.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Nuebot posted:

The competitive aspect is a pretty big driving factor in making people want to spend money and promote the game (ie the infinite variations of "[friend] is in trouble, click now to give them 50 gems!" on social media).

The New York Times did a story about the (then) top Clash of Clans player in the world, it's a great read on its own but it also highlights how competition can rope people in.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

The competitive aspect is a pretty big driving factor in making people want to spend money and promote the game (ie the infinite variations of "[friend] is in trouble, click now to give them 50 gems!" on social media).

The New York Times did a story about the (then) top Clash of Clans player in the world, it's a great read on its own but it also highlights how competition can rope people in.

Yeah but games like Clash of Clans are different, the game is more focused on the PVP aspect. In games like the one I've been playing for the past few hours you spend like 50 gems for a character, sometimes it's a level 1 character that's worthless and sometimes it's a level 6 character that's objectively better then everything else in every way. You can get that guy on your first go through and just destroy everyone in the lower ranks, and anyone who runs up against you has no way to win unless they were equally lucky. In Clash of Clans at least your strategy matters to some degree.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nuebot posted:

Yeah but games like Clash of Clans are different, the game is more focused on the PVP aspect. In games like the one I've been playing for the past few hours you spend like 50 gems for a character, sometimes it's a level 1 character that's worthless and sometimes it's a level 6 character that's objectively better then everything else in every way. You can get that guy on your first go through and just destroy everyone in the lower ranks, and anyone who runs up against you has no way to win unless they were equally lucky. In Clash of Clans at least your strategy matters to some degree.

If it's f2p there's gotta be something you can pay for to have an advantage, like an xp boost or a better starting character.

If that's the case then the RNG aspect could be the keystone to their business model. Being f2p makes the game seem commitment free but getting lovely starting characters could push someone into putting money down.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My opinions on Fallout 4 are many, varied, and largely negative. Since I got probated before for what I'm still pretty sure is my own 'wouldn't it be cool if' ideas, playing it safe and spoiler-tagging this one. I think as far as the main quest goes it's probably around like, the second quarter of the story. Not spoiling too far in.

I've already said that I don't like any of the 'parent looking for their son' story, and this isn't about that, but I've started needing to use the term 'Shaun-blocked' to refer to points where I am either outright forced to talk about Shaun or am required to say I'm looking for and care about him to progress. This happens way too often even when it really shouldn't, and it's really annoying, but I'm giving the game a pass on this one now that I'm talking to Nick Valentine. He's entertaining enough to be around, I'm allowed to talk like I don't care much about Shaun, and he's the entire point of this section anyway.

What I didn't expect was for Nick to Dogmeat-block me. That literally the only way to progress in this main quest was going to involve the dog that I ditched within the first hour of the game and never learned the name of. In fact, the way the conversation goes Dogmeat is mentioned by name by both you AND Nick, even if you gave so few shits about Dogmeat that you never learned his name in the first place. I know Dogmeat's an iconic character, but this is just forcing it. The only way to find your son's kidnapper is to get your dog to track him by way of a cigar.

The worst part is that would actually be actually a pretty good alternative solution. It's just highlighting one of the most painful parts of Fallout 4's quest design: there is no longer more than one way to solve a problem. If this were in 3 or New Vegas I feel like you'd be able to get Dogmeat to help, sure, but he'd only be one of those weird esoteric solutions you only find in a replay. Maybe the other solutions include a Medicine or Survival check to figure out where he'd be getting those rare cigars, a Charisma check to ask around town, an absurd Intelligence check to Sherlock together a solution, maybe even a Guns check to realize there is an awful lot of 10mm ammo in here, or a default solution of 'let's just keep looking for clues'. There are so many satisfying ways to provide alternate solutions to this, but they took away all but one.

And all that devalues the Dogmeat solution, which again would have been a really cool option. It would be a loving highlight for people who, entirely of their own volition, got Dogmeat to track the kidnapper's scent. That's a fantastic lateral solution, but the fact it's spoon-fed to you takes away everything that would be good about it.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 10:20 on Dec 4, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Oh and here's another one. ARK is a survival game, you're on a tropical island full of dinosaurs and you have to build poo poo from huts all the way up to assault rifles while pooping and drinking sea water to survive. The problem is that the official servers suffer from some very simple issues. Since it's a game about building poo poo, it'd be unfair if you could just build on top of someone else's stuff, right? So there's a massive AOE that says you can't build near someone else's stuff. On some PVE servers you literally can not build anymore because people would just place foundations every few feet and take up as much possible space as they could even though they wouldn't actually build anything there. Since it's PVE you can't take down their stuff unless they don't log in for days.

PVP servers aren't actually bad except for the completely unrestricted PVP, ironically. Me and my friend had finally gotten a stone building, so other dudes with stone axes couldn't break in and we were excited about that. Then some guy from the server's resident "Alpha Tribe" shows up with a giant dinosaur that takes like half an IRL day's worth of game time to obtain and destroys it in like a minute while spawn camping us with a sniper rifle. We had literally no way to fight back or defend our stuff from this. He then went on to destroy every structure we were aware of and we logged off because that's one hell of a bummer. As far as I'm aware, and based on the chat going on at the time, they wiped out basically everything on the server that wasn't part of their group and that this is basically a weekly occurrence because they never give anyone the chance to build up enough to even consider fighting back.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I hate it when to get 100% you have to play a mini-game that is completely at odds with the rest of the game. I am one heart-piece short in A Link between Worlds because I can't win at Octoball Derby. Where the rest of the game has you fighting monsters and looking for treasure under rocks, here you have to learn a completely new skill-set. I have no idea how baseball works, but apparently it involves breaking pottery with balls you hit with your bat, and for every three pots you hit in a row a bird shows up, you hit the bird and you do this five times. Hitting a moving crab replenishes the broken pottery. There's probably a method to this but it's such a poorly thought-out mini-game that isn't fun or fair in the slightest.
I got moderately good at it because dem heart pieces, man - it does have consistent mechanics, they are just tough to figure out. It's badly designed like many similar mini-games in that it's only this game, no build-up or even a tutorial, so you have to spend a few failed attempts at the real deal just to learn how it even works. Even if those workings are generally fine, there's usual this one nuance that you will years later slap yourself for not knowing about because it would have made it so much easier or even enjoyable, but the game never told you. I recently bought OoT 3D as I hadn't gotten around to, and fishing is the same nonsense - I don't think it ever tells you that you can hold two buttons at once to reel in faster, that you can hit a button BESIDES left and right to lure fish in, and I still have no idea if holding down + A for the entire time the fish is on the hook is all you need to do. Because that takes forever, but the fish will never get away. Do I have to jerk left and right? Do I have to release the A button...or the direction?...when it jumps out of the water? Hell if I know!

If it helps: you have three "rows" you can hit with your ball, aiming up and down changes which row you hit. How much to the left or to the right you hit is solely dependent on timing; if you strike the ball early, it'll go far right, if you're late, far left (or the other way round, BASEBALL PHYSIX). That's the part that requires practice, practice, practice.

You did get when the bird appears, for that the game actually helps; if you're somewhere near the middle when the bird is there, you will hit it, and if you do a desperate hit to the far left as the bird is about to leave, it'll adjust itself a little, too. It's not as tight as for the pots. I think another trick is that the bird is in the "middle row", so you don't actually need to aim up (don't quote me on this though). Godspeed!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

PVP servers aren't actually bad except for the completely unrestricted PVP, ironically. Me and my friend had finally gotten a stone building, so other dudes with stone axes couldn't break in and we were excited about that. Then some guy from the server's resident "Alpha Tribe" shows up with a giant dinosaur that takes like half an IRL day's worth of game time to obtain and destroys it in like a minute while spawn camping us with a sniper rifle. We had literally no way to fight back or defend our stuff from this. He then went on to destroy every structure we were aware of and we logged off because that's one hell of a bummer. As far as I'm aware, and based on the chat going on at the time, they wiped out basically everything on the server that wasn't part of their group and that this is basically a weekly occurrence because they never give anyone the chance to build up enough to even consider fighting back.

Anything with "unrestricted PvP" is going to be awful for anyone who's not in the alpha guild, since the entire reason people play those is to ruin the day of everyone who's weaker than them. It's always funny to see people get excited about some new full PvP MMO only for it to be dragged down by the concept's inherent shittyness.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

Anything with "unrestricted PvP" is going to be awful for anyone who's not in the alpha guild, since the entire reason people play those is to ruin the day of everyone who's weaker than them. It's always funny to see people get excited about some new full PvP MMO only for it to be dragged down by the concept's inherent shittyness.

I would have been content on a PVE server but like I said, they're near impossible to play on because you're lucky if you can find a space big enough to build at all. The first server me and my buddy tried one guy had claimed like half the map just by being really dedicated and placing cheap wooden pillars spaced out every few feet, just enough that no one would ever be able to build. It's a lovely thing but there's no real fix for it, the PVP issue definitely does have a fix though. The problem is one specific dinosaur they introduced that basically just exists as a gently caress you, it's a super t-rex basically and it's the thing the PVP guys are using to grief people so much because the only other ways to destroy stone or higher buildings are very resource intensive meanwhile this dinosaur takes ages to tame but is nearly indestructible once you get it and eats everything. Adding it in was a stupid idea.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Mad Max is a pretty game for taking place in a post-apocalyptic desert save for one thing: When you engage strongholds their defenses can be buffed by either being spotted by sentries or getting pumped up by the game's equivalent of the Doof Warrior from Fury Road, and when that happens the visual effect for it is everyone turning a bright ugly red. It's silly when you're in an otherwise gorgeous desert landscape and there's a big glowing red dot on the horizon because you drove past an enemy stronghold earlier, and it also makes melee fights annoying because all the enemies bleed together into one big red blob.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Kinda of related, shoehorned in driving sections in non-driving games. I loving hate driving games, I'm not good at them, why do I need an unavoidable driving section in my RPG/shooter/etc. when in 90% of the game it's perfectly content to give me a fifteen second cutscene of me driving or flying somewhere. Gears of War drove me loving insane with this. Having the "driving" in the final game being an impossible to fly without getting motion sickness Reaver was rigoddamndiculous.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Nuebot posted:

As far as I'm aware, and based on the chat going on at the time, they wiped out basically everything on the server that wasn't part of their group and that this is basically a weekly occurrence because they never give anyone the chance to build up enough to even consider fighting back.

Ah, the Kor-Ah style of diplomacy.

Yeah ARK was a huge poo poo show. It's fine when you're just bumping into people at the beach for the first few days but I had my week wrecked by one guy flying an eagle. He showed up all in camo armor and put TNT on everything I owned, I walked up behind him and through local voice chat said "what the gently caress do you think you're doing" and he, startled, crawled twice as fast as I could sprint, right off a cliff. I got to wear his armor for four hours but he came back with an eagle and tore down everything with furious talons and hideous shrieking.

I can only think as he spent all that time tearing our week's work down he felt real smug, like he got revenge on gravity for making him look like an idiot while he was starting poo poo in the first place with people still rubbing sticks together ten tech levels and two hundred hours of grinding below him.

I typed up my story at the time and it was the #1 funny review on steam for a few weeks. Steam would not stop telling me people were calling me a dumb crybaby who should cry more and get good.

Krinkle has a new favorite as of 02:39 on Dec 5, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Krinkle posted:

Steam would not stop telling me people were calling me a dumb crybaby who should cry more and get good.

"cry more" seems to be the go-to response from people when anyone reports that letting people get a giant nearly indestructible dinosaur that can destroy things no other dinosaur can is kind of unbalanced. I wound up looking it up, turns out the thing isn't even reliably killable with current tiers of equipment. The next tier of equipment is meant to kill it, but it's currently in "next patch" limbo. So basically anyone who can get their hands on this super dinosaur is basically god until it starves to death.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Cleretic posted:

Lots of stuff

There's a very, very weird application of effort, in relation to this quest, too. If you skipped the Red Rocket and never met Dogmeat, Nick will refer to him as a "specialist" he's worked with in the past and whistle him up. It's actually a really cool moment very few people are going to see on accident, and yet they couldn't be hosed to have the "normal" scene react at all to the player character. It boggles the mind.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

SkeletonHero posted:

There's a very, very weird application of effort, in relation to this quest, too. If you skipped the Red Rocket and never met Dogmeat, Nick will refer to him as a "specialist" he's worked with in the past and whistle him up. It's actually a really cool moment very few people are going to see on accident, and yet they couldn't be hosed to have the "normal" scene react at all to the player character. It boggles the mind.

This is a reoccurring problem in FO4, pretty much every sidequest has at least dialogue for having completed things already and other alternate options. But most of the story stuff just doesn't for some reason. Like I ran into the vault that had the synth detective by accident, and the quest just started as if I'd been following it all along and my only dialogue options involved my character acting like I'd been told to find this guy to help find my son.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Honestly ARK is fine if you play on your own or on a private server which totally defeats the point but there we are. I'm still enjoying the game in short bursts but what gets me to quit every time is the fact that I need to deforest an entire loving island just to build a lovely hut or die from random high level dinosaur the game felt like spawning near my low level rear end. Also turkeys. gently caress those special event turkeys but they will not only two shot your rear end they will also alert every other nearby dinosaur to ruin you and everything you own.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Morglon posted:

Honestly ARK is fine if you play on your own or on a private server which totally defeats the point but there we are. I'm still enjoying the game in short bursts but what gets me to quit every time is the fact that I need to deforest an entire loving island just to build a lovely hut or die from random high level dinosaur the game felt like spawning near my low level rear end. Also turkeys. gently caress those special event turkeys but they will not only two shot your rear end they will also alert every other nearby dinosaur to ruin you and everything you own.

They turkeys were passive and vanished when december rolled around though. Deforesting isn't that bad but to make stone buildings it takes like 60 to 80 rocks to make any part of a structure so to make anything beyond a single room it takes ages of mining. Also for some reason you get stone walls at level 20 but every other part at 25.

Like, the worst thing about official servers is still that one poo poo dinosaur because while a bigger tribe could roll around destroying anything the wanted, the time and effort involved usually dissuades them because it takes a lot of explosives, which require rare and annoying to get materials, or time just hacking away at things to destroy stone or metal buildings. But nope, here's a dinosaur you can set to auto-follow and have it eat everything it walks past. :downs:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Resident Evil 4: Putting two ammo-sponge Gigantes one load screen away from All The Bugs In The World can be kind of frustrating for players who used all their bullets on the former. Yes, you're supposed to dunk the Gigantes in the molten steel (molten lava?) instead, but I wanted the big payout for killing them the "regular" way because I had accidentally sold some treasure early. Big mistake.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

Resident Evil 4: Putting two ammo-sponge Gigantes one load screen away from All The Bugs In The World can be kind of frustrating for players who used all their bullets on the former. Yes, you're supposed to dunk the Gigantes in the molten steel (molten lava?) instead, but I wanted the big payout for killing them the "regular" way because I had accidentally sold some treasure early. Big mistake.

In the castle area I once thought I was being sneaky sniping an acolyte from a distance. Turned out I sniped the Gun Merchant. Absolute nightmare.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

El Gigante in general drags down RE4 for me, though I'm pretty sure I mentioned that in this thread already. That's honestly really the only complaint I have about the game, though. Game's dope.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Xenoblade Chronicles X has your total playtime right there in the pause menu.
I don't need the game to tell me I've spent 20 hours playing it this weekend goddammit :mad:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I picked up Shadows of Mordor and while playing, it doesn't feel like my sword strikes have a lot of oomph behind them.

Edit: it's not killing the game for me, but I don't feel like I'm really hitting these Uruk with any kind of force. In the Arkham games, I knew I was breaking that guy's face. Here, it's a little meh on if I'm really hurting them.

Leave has a new favorite as of 02:04 on Dec 7, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Calaveron posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles X has your total playtime right there in the pause menu.
I don't need the game to tell me I've spent 20 hours playing it this weekend goddammit :mad:

Lucky. I was all prepared to do just that but then the girlfriend was like "Hey we're gonna go do things all day long"

So far I don't like how tiny the text is though. It makes it obvious that I need a better tv.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Len posted:

Lucky. I was all prepared to do just that but then the girlfriend was like "Hey we're gonna go do things all day long"

So far I don't like how tiny the text is though. It makes it obvious that I need a better tv.

Game GUIs have been getting actively worse every year. I played some BLOPS3 with my brother the other night on split screen and it just scaled the entire screen down so all of the text was 100% illegible. It was a 40" TV and we were sitting like four or five feet away, it was absolutely loving ludicrous.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Leavemywife posted:

I picked up Shadows of Mordor and while playing, it doesn't feel like my sword strikes have a lot of oomph behind them.

Edit: it's not killing the game for me, but I don't feel like I'm really hitting these Uruk with any kind of force. In the Arkham games, I knew I was breaking that guy's face. Here, it's a little meh on if I'm really hurting them.

Look, not every game has Yamcha cracking planets in half while smelling faintly of perfume, okay?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Leavemywife posted:

You get stronger as you play, by the end you're gonna be cleaving through Uruks like they were tissue paper.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Leavemywife posted:

Don't worry, your character will become powerful enough to make the game feel boring and pointless in 3 hours or so.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
Just Cause 3, PC:

Windows 7: Missing polygons in landscape, that's fine, I can live with that.

Windows 10: No missing polygons, game crashes after about 3 minutes of gameplay, needing a restart to escape from the malfunctioning program.

Looks like I'll have to take the New Vegas route, wait a year for a patch to come out.

EDIT:

muscles like this? posted:

The load times for the console version of Just Cause 3 are completely ridiculous. I had one earlier today that was four minutes. Also the online system sucks as there's a prompt that says "play offline" but it doesn't actually do anything because the next time you try to use a menu it tries to log in again.

This! I have to keep setting Steam to run offline, as otherwise the game constantly takes a minute to reconnect with the internet, constantly loses the connection over gameplay, and takes another minute to reconnect whenever I bring up the menu screen. Just so I can learn that some clown has beaten my record in headshots.

Sic Semper Goon has a new favorite as of 13:07 on Dec 7, 2015

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

Part of it is that A) You need to use some tactical awareness of your environment (especially with captains) and B) If you just slaughtered them with ease why would you want to do sword legends or anything?

You're using a sword to hit giant PCP-using green hulkmen in armor, not fighting anemics with a lightsaber.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

also it's the Arkham combat system except not quite as good, so your sword is basically Batman's punch and it doesn't really feel as brutal or stabby as a sword should. It does in fact feel like a weak punch most of the time.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
It does have the nice side effect of making the instant takedowns, combat drains, grabs and special attacks much more valuable, though. I got very used to storing up a few quick hits and then lopping that big fucker's head off or doing the ground poundy move. In Arkham games I never do anything but punch because I never need anything but punch except for the special duders.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

also it's the Arkham combat system except not quite as good, so your sword is basically Batman's punch and it doesn't really feel as brutal or stabby as a sword should. It does in fact feel like a weak punch most of the time.

This just about perfectly sums up what I feel when playing Shadows of Mordor. I'd also went to it fresh off Arkham Knight, so I was used to my freeflow combat feeling so brutal.

LeJackal posted:

not fighting anemics with a lightsaber.

I think I would enjoy a game with that as the basic premise.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Sleeping Dogs and Mad Max had the most brutal feeling batman combat.

Particularly sleeping dogs, goddamn. Wei's limb breaking and environmental attacks get downright nasty

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Shadows of Mordor would have been a fun game if the combat wasn't dull as bricks, and the environments were actually interesting.
The Nemesis system also, while being a neat concept, really showed its limits after a while. You'd run into the same kinds of warlords over and over.
Also, if you never died, you would never actually earn a "Nemesis". When I played through I never had any orc show up twice, and the nemesis you fight in the final battle ended up being some random mook I had killed once in the first zone

They had an impressive amount of voice lines for the orcs though, I'll give them that, even if that "cross swords - > orc gives a cheesy one liner threat" thing got a bit repetitive after a while.

Broken Cog has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Dec 7, 2015

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
The worst part about Shadow of Mordor was getting jumped by several captains at once. Fighting them all at once isn't bad, but it's incredibly annoying to sit through several "lock swords and listen to the Uruk captain deliver his line" in a row. It kills the flow of my Uruk genocide and I hate it. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Playing Shadow of Mordor I feel like I get the Batman-style combat with its hit streaks and two-button special attacks for the first time. My performance in the Arkham games was always decidedly on the mashy side.