Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

flatluigi posted:

The Youtube Center script's development seems to be dead, what are some good alternatives?

https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter Hasn't been updated since August.

That sucks. Easily the best youtube tool I've used.

I might fork that poo poo and continue development...

Ok, that's probably another of those things I say and then never follow through on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It'd be awesome if you forked it imho

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

flatluigi posted:

The Youtube Center script's development seems to be dead, what are some good alternatives?

Just curious; what features are you missing? Afaic, YTC is pretty feature complete and it still does its job well, so maybe (from the developer's perspective) there's no reason to update it?

PPills
Oct 5, 2004
Is this thread for discussion of the Portable version of Chrome? If so, I was just wondering why my extensions always seem to disappear after a fresh install of Window, and if there is any easier way to get them back. Also, I believe cookies and username/passwords also seem to disappear. Everything else seems to stay intact: bookmarks, autofill form data, history, etc.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

PPills posted:

Is this thread for discussion of the Portable version of Chrome? If so, I was just wondering why my extensions always seem to disappear after a fresh install of Window, and if there is any easier way to get them back. Also, I believe cookies and username/passwords also seem to disappear. Everything else seems to stay intact: bookmarks, autofill form data, history, etc.

Local profiles are encrypted against a random GUID Windows generates when it's first installed; profiles are now essentially not portable. Using a Google account syncs up everything but cookies (which is a matter of security so it's hard to get upset about). If you don't want to use a Google account with Chrome I can respect that but Chrome might not be fun for you if you depend on profile persistence.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Marinmo posted:

Just curious; what features are you missing? Afaic, YTC is pretty feature complete and it still does its job well, so maybe (from the developer's perspective) there's no reason to update it?
There is since YT keeps updating its player or pages on the YT site. For as complex a script as YTC is, that makes a difference.

In short, some weirdness is sloooowly creeping in. One quick example, autobuffer no longer works 100% of the time like it used to. No pattern to it as far as I can tell, but I'm sure there's a reason in there somewhere.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I also hate the way youtube goes straight to another video when it finishes playing now.

If I wanted to change the page, I would have done so myself :argh:

For such a huge and popular site, youtube's interface is a piece of crap.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

So turn off "Autoplay". There's a little widget for that right there on the page!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I've relied on youtube center for so long to do everything, I never even saw it there. Thanks.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
"Downloads - Your Download Box" just removed itself from my chrome. IT was just a neat little downloads manager that sat in the toolbar. Infact manager is probably too strong of a word, just a downloads lister.

I cant find any info on why it's gone or anything at all as it totally removed from the store and I cant find a link for the dev or a website. Was anyone else using it? A recommended alternative? Or do most just not bother?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I think AdBlock Plus is causing Youtube videos to not display. If there's an ad in front of a video, it's just a black screen even though the audio plays. If I play the same video in Incognito mode, the ad plays then the video plays fine.

If there's no ad in front of a video, it plays fine.

On Vimeo, the videos seem to play fine.

I'm in Windows 10, should be the latest version of Chrome. I do not have the Youtube app installed.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Try uBlock instead.

Or you know, disable Adblock and see if that makes a difference at least.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I think AdBlock Plus is causing Youtube videos to not display. If there's an ad in front of a video, it's just a black screen even though the audio plays. If I play the same video in Incognito mode, the ad plays then the video plays fine.

If there's no ad in front of a video, it plays fine.

On Vimeo, the videos seem to play fine.

I'm in Windows 10, should be the latest version of Chrome. I do not have the Youtube app installed.

Have you randomly applied a custom blocking rule in Adblock ? I'm using latest Chrome and adblock and i'm not experiencing any of those issues.

maybe go into adblock options, then select your own filters and double check you haven't added a custom filter that may be causing that issue.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

MeKeV posted:

"Downloads - Your Download Box" just removed itself from my chrome. IT was just a neat little downloads manager that sat in the toolbar. Infact manager is probably too strong of a word, just a downloads lister.

I cant find any info on why it's gone or anything at all as it totally removed from the store and I cant find a link for the dev or a website. Was anyone else using it? A recommended alternative? Or do most just not bother?

I noticed that as well; looks like the author straight-up deleted it from the store, though it's news to me that this sort of action apparently also removes the extension from everyone's Chrome account. Creepy.

edit: found a reddit post with a download to a standalone crx file

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 1, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Atrocious Pirate posted:

Have you randomly applied a custom blocking rule in Adblock ? I'm using latest Chrome and adblock and i'm not experiencing any of those issues.

maybe go into adblock options, then select your own filters and double check you haven't added a custom filter that may be causing that issue.
Nope, no issues there.

DemonMage posted:

Try uBlock instead.

Or you know, disable Adblock and see if that makes a difference at least.
Disabling Adblock fixes the problem, yes.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Cross-Section posted:

I noticed that as well; looks like the author straight-up deleted it from the store, though it's news to me that this sort of action apparently also removes the extension from everyone's Chrome account. Creepy.

edit: found a reddit post with a download to a standalone crx file

A developer unpublishing it wouldn't remove it from your browser it just would stop updating or be able to re-download, that means that it was google that removed it likely for malware so lol if you install it again.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Quick question:

I'm trying to move towards a cloud based system to consolidate all my data, so I figured I'd replace Windows Sticky Notes with Google Keep, but I'm trying to figure out if Keep just runs in a window or if you can create little floating post it notes like you can with Windows Sticky Notes? Really hope I can use Keep this way, seems like a no brainer if Googles goal was to replace Windows Sticky Notes.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Best you can do with google keep is make it launch on a window with no address bar

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Did they recently change it so you can no longer disable the profile switcher by adding flags to your chrome shortcut? I used to have it turned off, now it's back and I can't get it to go away.

I tried adding --disable-new-avatar-menu to the shortcut like I had before, but the profile switcher is still there.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
They just disabled that option.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I have no idea what would be the correct thread for this but I'll try it here: My parents want us to collect the family's Christmas lists into a Google Docs spreadsheet for ease of access and sharing. They also said that doing so makes it easier for people to communicate who's purchased what for whom. BUT, if everyone has access to the whole sheet and can see everything, then that kind of spoils the fun. I'm wondering if there's a way we can have one sheet with a tab for each person's list, where a given user is restricted from seeing their own tab. I know we could just as easily make one discrete sheet for each person's list and then just not share it with that person, but one sheet with tabs seems like a more elegant solution if possible. Is it?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Pivit posted:

Did they recently change it so you can no longer disable the profile switcher by adding flags to your chrome shortcut? I used to have it turned off, now it's back and I can't get it to go away.

I tried adding --disable-new-avatar-menu to the shortcut like I had before, but the profile switcher is still there.

Every option you use is getting disabled, every feature you couldn't want is becoming mandatory. Thanks, Google.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
I found a neat extension for chrome if you are a laptop user, its called h264ify and what it does is force youtube to play videos in h264 instead of vp8/9 so you can use your cpu's inbuilt h264 decoder and save power, or at least that is what i am told. Task manager does seem to like the difference.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

wargames posted:

I found a neat extension for chrome if you are a laptop user, its called h264ify and what it does is force youtube to play videos in h264 instead of vp8/9 so you can use your cpu's inbuilt h264 decoder and save power, or at least that is what i am told. Task manager does seem to like the difference.

What you mean is use the gpu decoder instead of the cpu

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Celexi posted:

What you mean is use the gpu decoder instead of the cpu

Laptops usually have a CPU with a h264 decoder, but I'm not sure if even the newest CPU have a hardware decoder for VP9/whatever google wants to push. Instead of having a 15W/25W/45W CPU decoding VP9 (as pushed by youtube) you have a <1W hardware block processing a h264 stream. Maybe we are saying the same thing? GPU is unclear in this context. Discrete GPUs shouldn't power up (if present) for video decoding unless the browser is idiotic/the user has elevated video quality requirements (intel h264 did lack in quality compared to discrete implementations). For watching kitty tubes the on CPU decoder is IMHO the best option. Also I dislike the fan noise and pure CPU playback heats the laptop.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

like the guy above me said, I don't have a dedicated mobile graphics card just the integrated r5 unit that ships with the cpu.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Speaking of removing things, apparently the latest release got rid of the notification center :bang:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

DemonMage posted:

Speaking of removing things, apparently the latest release got rid of the notification center :bang:

Thank God.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Between that and the subscription for notification actions, it makes Pushbullet nearly useless =-(

[Edit] I guess it's actually showing pushbullet notifications the same, it's just harder for me to notice missed ones. Not as big of a deal, but there was already an option to disable it anyways, so kind of a lovely change.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 7, 2015

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

MeKeV posted:

I like chrono download manager, sounds like it's not quite as lightweight as download box but it's not too hefty at the same time.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

sharktamer posted:

I like chrono download manager, sounds like it's not quite as lightweight as download box but it's not too hefty at the same time.

I've gone with Better Download Manager for now. It had the fewest required permissions out of the few I looked at, but still does what I need.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

wargames posted:

like the guy above me said, I don't have a dedicated mobile graphics card just the integrated r5 unit that ships with the cpu.

intel cpus have had an integrated h264 decoder for some time; i wouldn't be surprised if AMD had something similar.

also iirc skylake has an integrated vp9 decoder

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

DemonMage posted:

i take it chrome still decides to arbitrarily run in the background though, just this time for no reason at all as opposed to a lovely reason

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Did a Google Dictionary extension install itself for anyone else recently?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Generic Monk posted:

i take it chrome still decides to arbitrarily run in the background though, just this time for no reason at all as opposed to a lovely reason

I don't know why you'd ever shut it down, but you can turn off the running in the background just by turning the option off in the Chrome icon in the taskbar. It's mostly for things like Hangouts to keep running.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Generic Monk posted:

intel cpus have had an integrated h264 decoder for some time; i wouldn't be surprised if AMD had something similar.

also iirc skylake has an integrated vp9 decoder

amd does indeed have a h264 decoder it does not have a vp9 one.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

DemonMage posted:

I don't know why you'd ever shut it down, but you can turn off the running in the background just by turning the option off in the Chrome icon in the taskbar. It's mostly for things like Hangouts to keep running.

it just doesn't sit well with me that a browser with such an insanely high ram footprint syuch as chrome should deem itself important enough to run in the background by default. even if you don't have an SSD your OS will generally precache it into RAM anyway

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
if it runs in background its because it has an app or extension that wants to run in background, the list of those shows up if you right click the chrome icon in taskbar, without those even with "allow chrome to run in background" it won't run in background.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
It looks like they've gotten rid of a lot of right click options on stuff, is this a thing I can revert?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

flatluigi posted:

The original dev is making updates to this again.