Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

timp posted:

:words: about If you looked at this as a video game you were destined to be disappointed from the start. This is less a game and more of a Game of Thrones interactive story,

But it is a video game, and an interactive story played out on consoles/PCs is a kind of video game too. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

BadAstronaut posted:

But it is a video game, and an interactive story played out on consoles/PCs is a kind of video game too. :shrug:

It is a video game of course, yes. And I think that complaint was certainly valid after episode 1, maybe 2. But all these people who continued to be frustrated at how little control they had over the story well into the end of the season is what I don't get. What were these people expecting?

Besides, I'm sure you understand what I mean when I say it's less of a video game and more of an interactive story, right? Halo, Zelda, Mario, Dark Souls, Minecraft, literally any video game out there, you're accustomed to controlling the character and, ultimately, the outcome. You play to win. This was not a game like that; it was never intended to be a game like that. Just sit back and enjoy the story and appreciate the fact that, if you want to spit in that fucker's face for what he said, you get to see how he reacts to that.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I very much enjoyed everything up until episode 6. It was that last episode that really made me feel that a) many of my decisions and actions meant nothing, and b) I have been strung along to an inconclusive end to the season by designers clearly intending to leave things unfinished to compel me to buying season 2. Just very disappointed.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

timp posted:

It is a video game of course, yes. And I think that complaint was certainly valid after episode 1, maybe 2. But all these people who continued to be frustrated at how little control they had over the story well into the end of the season is what I don't get. What were these people expecting?

Telltale games have always been that way, sure, but for Game of Thrones your lack of choice is even more transparent and that's the main issue with it. Take any scene with Ramsay Snow for instance, anyone who knows the show (and books I'd assume?) realizes that you can't even pretend anything you do in those scenes matters one bit. Usually their games are a lot better at hiding that fact and you can buy into the fiction of player agency on some level.

Even Episode 3 as another example, because I'm replaying it again despite my earlier declarations (I am shameless and unprincipled, I'm going to play the whole thing after all), you have the "choice" there to either stop Gryff's men from going into the Great Hall or let them pass. Stopping them does nothing, it's a useless gesture, they go in anyway because it needs to happen for the story. I'm a big fan of Telltale's games and have played most of their stuff at this point, and there's usually a little more effort to create consequences for the decisions, especially with the binary "Do Something / Do Nothing" options, or at least dress them up a little more so the meaninglessness isn't so up front. That's the problem I think a lot of people are having with it, is it really shoves it in your face how little you can do.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
it's not even a good interactive story.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'd be totally fine with it having zero choices whatsoever if it was a good, self-contained story. But it isn't: the central conflict isn't resolved and Gared's plot is essentially a gigantic, prolonged loose thread. It'd be like if Walking Dead season one ended with Lee deciding to look for Clementine after she gets kidnapped and the implication was that you'd have to buy season two (coming next year! only 24.99!) to see if he found her or not.

I'm cool with Telltale games being good plots where you can alter the details based on your feelings. That's cool to me. But Game of Thrones' issue isn't a lack of reactive choices: it's the lack of a good, cohesive plot with a beginning, middle and end. There are totally parts of this story I love, and characters I care about (Asher and Beska!). But when you end on effectively a triple cliffhanger and all but tell the player "buy our next game to see the end of this one!", it harms the overall feeling somewhat.

To be clear, I'm not railing against cliffhangers in general here. Walking Dead season one and Tales from the Borderlands both end on soft cliffhangers, but they're more in the "and then they had more adventures, I wonder what those looked like!" vein. Here there are major plot threads that the season has spent its entirety building to just left flapping for resolution in another game entirely.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't think it's a irredeemably bad story really, though I do think it's a bit conflicted with what it even wants to be about. Like I get the idea that it sort of wants to call games like BioShock 1 out that pretend moral choices are these huge deals in games when they don't really matter too much to how you actually play the game. Like I found Telltale's Game of Thrones' nihilism kind of refreshing and a little more honest in some ways than some other stuff I've played, by giving you a billion ways to interact with the world even though most of these characters are probably going to just get maimed one way or another.

I guess my own core complaint of the game though, and this is from the perspective of someone that did enjoy it, is that it doesn't fully commit to this idea. Like the ideal Raxivace version of this game would have Mira on death row no matter what with no option of getting away, Gared wouldn't even find the North Grove and would turn into some kind of Aguirre type character that goes mad trying to find something that probably doesn't exist, everything to do with Asher's adventures in Essos wouldn't be a boring waste of time, the Whitehills would still crush the Forresters etc. Like it's cool to see how different choices could lead to the Forresters failing slightly differently, though the game shouldn't be about winning as much as how we react or fight back against certain, hopeless doom even if it is impossible to avert IMO. The story also probably should have been contained to this single season, though I still personally look forward to season 2.

Also Hodor should have been in it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm totally happy with the Forresters losing in the end, but they don't commit to it enough. Instead there's a TV finale-esque series of cliffhangers, with Roderik/Asher escaping, Gared marching south with an army, and Mira possibly being set to return to Ironrath with an evil husband. Like you say, if you want that to be the story, then have Gared never find the North Grove, or have his story end there, and actually conclude this part of the plot rather than leaving off in its effective middle.

I don't think it's irredeemably bad either, I think it's really fixable which is the shame of it. I think Roderik and Asher's stories are especially strong and have plenty of cool characters and interesting plot points. There's just a failure to stick the landing or focus the narrative.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I finished it and despite my griping, I thought the ending did a pretty good job. Especially Mira's part, bravo to them for actually following through with that if you turn down Lord WhatsHisName's marriage extortion deal.

Android Blues posted:

I'm totally happy with the Forresters losing in the end, but they don't commit to it enough. Instead there's a TV finale-esque series of cliffhangers, with Roderik/Asher escaping, Gared marching south with an army, and Mira possibly being set to return to Ironrath with an evil husband. Like you say, if you want that to be the story, then have Gared never find the North Grove, or have his story end there, and actually conclude this part of the plot rather than leaving off in its effective middle.
Speaking of which... I cut this together: https://youtu.be/MfhpHEFVVuc

Summary,
-Garred is killed by wildlings and never reaches the North Grove, which still may not actually exist (I wanted him to get eaten by a bear, but found out it's impossible to fail that sequence)
-Asher dies fighting in the pits trying to raise an army
-Rodrik, his mother and Royland are cut down in a glorious Red Wedding style bloodbath, that also sees the deaths of Ludd Whitehill and Gwen
-Mira is beheaded in King's Landing

Roll credits. I think it works pretty well this way :black101:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just finished. Liked but didn't love it, disappointed at the lack of a real ending and inability to make a real difference in the ending it had. I'll still buy season 2 when it's discounted because I enjoyed it overall.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

A first for a Telltale game, this one took me a lot of effort to work up the will to actually play it. I'm going to agree with the general criticisms and say that it was their worst to date.

This feels like Telltale's first real failure. The Walking Dead Season 2 was more a case of failing to live up to potential, where there were frustrating plot turns and signs that the writers had fumbled or awkwardly rewritten sections, but it wasn't bad, it just didn't meet the high bar of Season One. The Wolf Among Us had issues but was also still fun and clever enough to hold interest. Even the Minecraft game is just kind of inoffensive, and I won't hear a bad word said about Tales From The Borderlands.

Which makes word of a second season of this pretty meh. Telltale already finds putting on second seasons difficult and they didn't make their job easy with this ending. So Ryon and Beshka always ride off, Ironrath is always destroyed, one of either Gryff or Ludd dies and the other stays Lord Whitehill, one of either Roderick or Asher barely survives and escapes to meet up with Talia (and the traitor if alive), Mira is either dead or in a forced marriage where she can be used against her surviving family, Gared is either coming south or staying in the north... that's a lot of variables to build a whole sequel around, but if they don't make use of them then it'll feel pointless.

And so much of the story was pointless, at least so far (an awful thing to add to the end of a season). Gared's mission never really mattered or helped the Forresters (whom his uncle, the man who sent him on the mission, might've betrayed and been executed by in the meantime). Nothing Mira did made a difference either and I can't really believe that her surviving will matter in the future. If Asher died then his story was pointless since his whole army gets wiped out losing the big battle anyway. We accomplished nothing but lose and have nothing to show for it - it's really hard to drum up investment in our hero's lowest point in a situation like that.

When it comes to accomplishments/payoff, you get to kill one Whitehill, you saved Ryon and Talia and maybe Mira can sell everyone out to survive or else die with her dignity while helping her friends (but not her family). Not enough return on investment.

Edit: Also surprised nobody commented on Asher breaking guest right. I agree it's weird Asher had the ambush and Roderick attacked the camp, it felt like giving Roderick the chance to reverse Red Wedding his enemies would've been poetic.

Edit2: VVVV Sorry, thought the tagging phase was over, my mistake.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 29, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Spoiler tag your poo poo, son.

I didn't like Wolf Among Us at all, didn't get even half way. TWD season 2 was worse too IMO. Haven't tried Borderlands yet, but got it in a sale.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Reverse Centaur posted:

Spoiler tag your poo poo, son.

I didn't like Wolf Among Us at all, didn't get even half way. TWD season 2 was worse too IMO. Haven't tried Borderlands yet, but got it in a sale.

Borderlands is, oddly enough, very very good.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Yeah saw the Borderlands one on sale and tried it based on what I read from this thread and yeah I thought that was the most fun one of these types of games I've played. Never played those games either. And it had something I feel like is very rare in games which is a satisfying ending. If someone just played one game like this I'd have to steer them toward that one.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Android Blues posted:

Instead there's a TV finale-esque series of cliffhangers, with Roderik/Asher escaping,

Here's the thing though: The more I think about this, the more I think it's actually total poo poo. And it was already ludicrous as gently caress.

They won't write a series around two possible characters. A whole chapter is as far as they'd go with that. So whoever escaped.. they're dead. Absolutely. Maybe not for the first 5, 10 minutes... but Telltale isn't going to keep it up past then. That's if they do another one.

I had high hopes for this in episode 1. 2 dragged a bit, 3 picked up and then it was downward spiral. I don't like the insane railroading of choices and leaps in logic in this. I absolutely did NOT want to engage in a red wedding event, because while the game doesn't cover it, the whole guestright thing.. it's huge in the universe and it's not something you dick with unless you are a scumsucking bastard, even against someone that's a bastard. Anyone there for a wedding would offer it.

But alas, even trying to stop it just caused it because the writers thought it'd hilarious and by God they were going to get it one way or another. It was the dumbest poo poo ever strategically, too, because their army was several times the size of the Forrester guard and had no chance in hell, and there'd be no way of wiping them out. I thought it was a stupid, stupid plan.

.... Worse yet it sounds like if I chose the guy who WASN'T the cunning ambush-tactics infiltrator guy, then I could have raided their camp and ended the game that way instead, which at least would have been something I'd been in favor of. That's what I wanted to do all along but the game wouldn't offer it to Asher.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah Mira is dead or otherwise written out in the first ten minutes of season 2 as well, there's no way they're going have two different storylines depending on wether she lives or dies.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

Here's the thing though: The more I think about this, the more I think it's actually total poo poo. And it was already ludicrous as gently caress.

They won't write a series around two possible characters. A whole chapter is as far as they'd go with that. So whoever escaped.. they're dead. Absolutely. Maybe not for the first 5, 10 minutes... but Telltale isn't going to keep it up past then. That's if they do another one.

Yeah, I can't see Mira lasting long either - if she doesn't die near the start of the season, she'll likely be shuffled quietly off screen. Thinking about it, it's pretty likely that season two's going to keep Gared on as the sole holdover perspective character, then make some of the people who survive no matter what into playable characters to replace the slots left by Mira, Asher and Roderik.

Talia's with Roderik or Asher at the end of the game, so taking her role while you watch your brother die of his wounds would be a simple way to tie off the branch. Then Beskha and Ryon are neatly compartmentalised into their own group as well, so either one of them could easily be a perspective character (more probably Beskha, right? one would hope).

They are gonna do another one though, it's already confirmed. A bit grim since this wasn't very good, but maybe it sold well?

e: also yeah I felt similarly leery about the guest right thing. I can totally buy Asher not respecting it, he's lived in Essos spilling blood for years, but it's a choice the player should have, since it's a major major part of the setting and would be equivalent to someone in our society being like, "the only way to beat them is to resort to cannibalism!".

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 2, 2015

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I checked out the moment it asked me to choose between rescuing Beshka from a dragon or your Uncle from Some Random Guy.

It's like, great, I'm going to go fight a dragon and this jackass is going to lord it over me forever.

This game felt so much like a satire of Telltale's other poo poo. Remember when they gave you a choice of whether or not to steal Margaery's seal?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Postmortem Time.

Alright, what did this series do good? IMHO:

-Atmosphere. I did feel like I was in Westeros and in the Game of Thrones setting, if nothing else Telltale did nail the atmosphere of the setting, even if it was in a compartmentalized and small setting all things considered.

-Strong Opening. YMMV, but I felt like at least the opening episode started off strong (I loop in the start of episode 2 with this since we got to meet Asher and Rodrick there), it gave an efficient introductions and a nice primer on what was going on in the setting (both for people familiar with Game of Thrones and total newbies). The set pieces were cool, there was a definite air of tension with the Boltons and Whitehills and the twist at the end of the first episode was nicely executed. In addition, for the most part each charterers first episode gave you as a player a good sense of how you wanted to define and play that character. For me when I started out, after I got a taste of what each persons sections would likely be, I immediately formed in my mind a sense of how I pictured this character responding to a situation and reacted accordingly. While this fell apart later on (as more and more choices failed to matter), at least stating out, I got a strong sense of role playing in the game.

-Quick Time Events: Most were pretty well made and I did feel tension in playing them (though later on the tension was "oh god, I don't want to repeat the past few cut scenes again, I want the story to be done), Telltale has at least refined their QTEs in this game and Tales so they offer more variety and a small sense of challenge. Considering this the one of the key parts of a Telltale game it was nice they did this competently.

The :mediocre:

-Art: Compared to other Telltale games (and especially when you see Tales from the Borderlands which was running concurrent to this game), the art was really lacking in this game. I get that it might have been a stylistic choice to go for the water color like effects (which on occasion looked cool), but everything in this offering seemed bland by comparison. Especially the opening credit sequence showing off locations, that looked meh.

-Side characters: Compared to other Telltales games, this had a problem of not getting me invested in most of the side characters, and for Telltale games that's really bad since interacting with the side characters is a key element for engaging you in the game. The Walking Dead Season 1 had a good group of side characters who engaged you and could really change how you saw the world and how the world responded to you. This game was more Season 2, there was a large group I didn't really feel invested in apart from one or two people. There were a lot of interesting moment that if played out more would have been interesting, but instead we only get little snippets that left me wanting more from the characters and never getting it. Some characters just kind of dropped off from the story and I'm left wondering why they were there (The Maester, Uncle Malcolm, Cersi, 99% of Castle Black, etc). I just feel that instead of really developing a good core of supporting people Telltale scattershot a ton of people in, but made the experience more shallow. I still liked some (Serra, Coal Boy, Beshka, even Tali), but I really didn't have that connection to them like other Telltale characters (except Beshka, I've got your back Big Sis).

-Canon Characters: Bad Telltale, no, that is not how you incorporate canon characters into a game like this. Bad!

Ahem: Anyways, Telltale has already demonstrated in the past that they can bring canon characters into their games in a nice balanced way. In Walking Dead Season 1 Glenn and Hershel show up as your tutorial guys, stay for a sec and then leave. They provide a nice window dressing for people familiar with canon, while not overshadowing the player. In Tales from the Borderlands, you have some canon characters who do just that and its totally fine, and then the others are actually integral to the plot and your actions can affect them in real ways that can impact the game. Game of Thrones shares the problem Wolf Among Us had with its characters, you're in a setting where you already know to some extent whose going to live and whose going to die, whose important and what they do. In GOT's case, this was really glaring since it just kept bringing the canon characters into stuff. You have Ramsey, Cersi, Tyrion, Margaery, Jon Snow, and Daney all showing up, and you can do jack all with them. Since this wasn't going to be like Tales where stuff happens to canon characters in the game, having them there was mostly dead weight, any interaction with them was going to have less weight since by convention you can't do anything extremely effective with them since they have other stuff to do. And they weren't just showing up for one shots either like in Walking Dead, they stuck around, which sucked out oxygen from the story since you actions were being slammed into the brick wall of canon. Which brings me to...

The Bad...

This game is full of fluff. You spend too much time not doing stuff to move the story. We have to remember this series got an extra episode, and honestly, I don't think that did anything meaningful to help the game's story. The first episode felt strong because it felt like there was a good cause and effect chain going on, but a the game went on we were going around and doing stuff that felt like it didn't matter. The canon characters were a big symptom of this I felt like, they took up so much time and demanded so much for relatively so little gain on our part. They should have had one scene at most and been gone. Hell all you needed from Ramsey was for him to do what he did episode 1 and then his later proclamation of "every house for themselves" and you'd be golden. That would have made the story more efficient and would have helped us flesh out the Forester/Whitehill conflict more rather than making it the Ramsey Snow Power Hour. Daney wasn't really necessary either, since in the end, Asher just needed some cash, so really any Essosi rich dude would have done and they could have better developed the Essos chapters there. Cersi and Tyrion added so little to the Andros v.s Mira conflict that if we lost those interactions, and focuses more on original characters and the core conflict there we'd have been better off. Same with Margaery, I feel like if we'd just gone with some random OC lady, we'd have been narrative better off compared to what we had.

The Wall/North Grove is also pretty symptomatic of this as well. So much time spent in Castle Black and making a big deal of your Night Watch oath....Um game,we were basically sent there just to bail on the Watch, I don't know why we'd get so invested in the guys we're planning on ditching the first chance we get, especially since we bring our buddies along anyways.

Really, I feel like this is at the core of the problem with this game, too much that doesn't do much. We as players understand that Telltale puts us on a railroad, "our choices matter" is more "we change a few interactions and scenes out the windows but you go the same place." Here it felt like they didn't do that, they just put on a movie an wanted us to watch. it.

If Telltales really wants to make a good Season 2, then they'll really need to look at the narrative and hone in on what they want to say and figure out how to get us there while still giving us some sense of agency in the world. Trim back any canon charater and focus on the OCs, seriously Westeros is big enough to have plenty going on that wasn't seen in the books and show, we don't need to see all the big names just to be reminded of where we are.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Just finished and I actually really enjoyed it. The story wasn't perfect but I always felt entertained/emotionally invested it in. I'm excited for season 2. It's basically an animated spinoff series that remixes plot elements from the books/show and if you don't expect too much from it, it's really enjoyable. :)

When Mira got her head cut off I was honestly more shocked than when it happened to Ned Stark in the books. When playing this game you figure out pretty quickly who each character is a stand-in for, and Mira was such a blatant Sansa that her death felt like a huge twist to me.

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah Mira is dead or otherwise written out in the first ten minutes of season 2 as well, there's no way they're going have two different storylines depending on wether she lives or dies.

I think, the best option here, is that all "surviving" characters will stop being POV characters. They'll get quick cameos, and hopefully it will feel important enough to the story to be satisfying.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 7, 2015

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Next season will just be Gared and Beshka as playable characters, everyone else will cameo since too many variables

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Maybe they'll pull a Lady Stoneheart since the show seems too chicken to do it.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Ekusukariba posted:

Next season will just be Gared and Beshka as playable characters, everyone else will cameo since too many variables

Maybe Malcolm will become playable.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Playable Beshka might be the only thing that could bring me back to season two.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

dmboogie posted:

Playable Beshka might be the only thing that could bring me back to season two.

Agreed, playing as Beshka would be pretty awesome, plus having little Ryon around to be a sounding board would make for a fun gender fliped Walking Dead style adventure where you play the hardscrabbled mercenary trying to keep the little kid safe in a dangerous world.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Agreed, playing as Beshka would be pretty awesome, plus having little Ryon around to be a sounding board would make for a fun gender fliped Walking Dead style adventure where you play the hardscrabbled mercenary trying to keep the little kid safe in a dangerous world.

I imagine it'll just end up being Arya and the Hound Lite

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Is there a Telltale general thread or anything? I just finished Walking Dead Season 1 (Not the 400 Days DLC though) and would love to talk about what I liked and disliked about it, though I don't want to derail the Game of Thrones thread or anything.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

timp posted:

Besides, I'm sure you understand what I mean when I say it's less of a video game and more of an interactive story, right? Halo, Zelda, Mario, Dark Souls, Minecraft, literally any video game out there, you're accustomed to controlling the character and, ultimately, the outcome. You play to win. This was not a game like that; it was never intended to be a game like that. Just sit back and enjoy the story and appreciate the fact that, if you want to spit in that fucker's face for what he said, you get to see how he reacts to that.

This. Telltale is still kinda struggling to do anything better than TWD1 did, but at least they haven't turned towards the generic "action hero always wins" fiction for 8-year-olds. Like you said practically every other videogame does that in spades. They've built their whole company on working on more niche content and it doesn't pander to all audience whims, that's for sure.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Raxivace posted:

Is there a Telltale general thread or anything? I just finished Walking Dead Season 1 (Not the 400 Days DLC though) and would love to talk about what I liked and disliked about it, though I don't want to derail the Game of Thrones thread or anything.

You could use the Adventure Game thread, that has Telltale chat sometimes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Telltale games have always been that way, sure, but for Game of Thrones your lack of choice is even more transparent and that's the main issue with it. Take any scene with Ramsay Snow for instance, anyone who knows the show (and books I'd assume?) realizes that you can't even pretend anything you do in those scenes matters one bit. Usually their games are a lot better at hiding that fact and you can buy into the fiction of player agency on some level.

Even Episode 3 as another example, because I'm replaying it again despite my earlier declarations (I am shameless and unprincipled, I'm going to play the whole thing after all), you have the "choice" there to either stop Gryff's men from going into the Great Hall or let them pass. Stopping them does nothing, it's a useless gesture, they go in anyway because it needs to happen for the story. I'm a big fan of Telltale's games and have played most of their stuff at this point, and there's usually a little more effort to create consequences for the decisions, especially with the binary "Do Something / Do Nothing" options, or at least dress them up a little more so the meaninglessness isn't so up front. That's the problem I think a lot of people are having with it, is it really shoves it in your face how little you can do.

thats what me and others have said. you have the entire history of westros, do adventrues of Sir dunk the tall and egg his squire. or do the make up some new side story in another time.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Spiky Ooze posted:

This. Telltale is still kinda struggling to do anything better than TWD1 did, but at least they haven't turned towards the generic "action hero always wins" fiction for 8-year-olds. Like you said practically every other videogame does that in spades. They've built their whole company on working on more niche content and it doesn't pander to all audience whims, that's for sure.

Tales from the borderlands is the closest thing to TWD1 quality, it helps that its lighthearted and that the playable characters aren't in an authority position like in Thrones, so when people boss them around and don't listen to you it doesn't feel forced

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ekusukariba posted:

Tales from the borderlands is the closest thing to TWD1 quality, it helps that its lighthearted and that the playable characters aren't in an authority position like in Thrones, so when people boss them around and don't listen to you it doesn't feel forced

It also felt like a original story, while the Game of Thrones was trying to ape/carbon copy all the plotlines from the source material.

Also lots of look who dragged out for a meaningless cameo moment

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Just finished this.

Kinda okay story but terrible interactive game. No choices mattered at all. Every single challenge that the Forresters faced happened in cut scenes where I was just screaming at them to do something. Asher couldn't loving stab Lord Whitehall? He's an accomplished sellsword and the fat bastard was sitting a half foot away from you and you could only slash him in the face? Mira couldn't have had the conversation with the coal boy slightly away from where the Lannister guards were ransacking her room?. It's obvious they just wanted to shovel the "this is game of thrones everyone dies lel" in our faces. Just like with the TV show whoever wrote the plot to this game doesn't understand the difference between characters needing to die to develop the story and other characters and just simply killing everyone for the gently caress of it.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

The ending to game of thrones made it seem like there were options I didn't even know i had, like 78% of people killed the guy on the top of the wall but that means it's even possible to not kill him? I got nothing but game overs for trying to be merciful...
Also that 78% of people saved tom by stabbing a guard but that means I could have sacrificed him and then I'd never have been a murderer? Would I even get arrested at that point?

I know that the answer is all free will was an illusion. It's why I got to completely poo poo on ramsay and attempt to murder him and he liked my pluck and initiative. And why I cancelled the ambush plan on a whim because I assumed ludd whitehill would betray me and I'd look like a good guy to his daughter. Close enough.

I wouldn't care about the railroading if the ending remembrances crawl didn't make it seem like well here's how you hosed up. Maybe if you didn't gently caress up so bad i'd be saying nice things about you instead of how bad you hosed up at every goddamn turn.

I saw a bit of the minecraft story mode and it's the same poo poo for kids. It seems cruel to make a kid choose A or B and then give them endless poo poo over not picking B or A.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Episode 1: Is there any way to have my Little Lord survive? :confused:

Also: "You and 15.9% took Erik's fingers." - What's wrong with most of you? Sending the thief to the wall is much harsher on him and his family, and not punishing thievery at all sets a dangerous precedent.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 27, 2015

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

PirateBob posted:

Episode 1: Is there any way to have my Little Lord survive? :confused:

Also: "You and 15.9% took Erik's fingers." - What's wrong with most of you? Sending the thief to the wall is much harsher on him and his family, and not punishing thievery at all sets a dangerous precedent.

No

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I picked up Tales of Borderlands on the last sale and MAN, the difference between that and this game is night and day. I would have never picked that when they were both announced. So much more style and fun in Borderlands.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Finished Tales From the Borderlands today since there's been so much talk about it. This seems like the Telltale thread nowadays, so...

Anyway I feel like I agree with say 80% of the hype. (i.e. people saying this game is their best ever, or on par with their best stuff)

The good: The comedy level is pretty crazy good. I don't think any series has melded hilarious comedy this much with the actual game world besides Saints Row, and it's refreshing. Some of the animation sequences (especially super slick music/animation openings) are just a treat. No denying that. And a certain AI character in the game uses so much bizarre filthy lingo it reminds me of being a teenager again so bless you Handsome Jack At the same time they get away with some other characters that are just CUTE. Like cute cute. Somehow not annoying, but actually cute. I also feel like they do an impressive job of bringing you into a world that's obviously falling apart at the seams from the nonsense of starting out as a FPS game, but it still feels real. Overall they achieve a lot of different things in it that get your endorphins flowing, so that's cool.

The missing parts for me: I hate to say it because I feel like they cover so much with the writing but it's still something that bugged me The character arcs are really weak to me. Mainly because they don't really have any. Everyone finishes where they started psychologically other than... a robot that becomes a much more sentient character offscreen. And an insecure accountant... that becomes the leader of big group of people offscreen. So yeah, they sorta overlooked that. Makes me suspect the writers didn't really have a plan for why they choose Rhys and Fiona as lead characters other than to pull off a grand plot reveal that their friend thought they were both liars and had to set up an elaborate ruse. Then again Borderlands is mostly comedy and caper plus whimisical and gorey sci-fi, so maybe I'm just expecting too much in complex characters, but I like to nitpick so sue me. And similar to other Telltale games there' no real gameplay but picking dialogue / watching scenes / then some QTE. They're loving great at the limited area of stuff, but if you're the person that keeps hoping they've finally got cheeky and added some shocking new cool gameplay, nope not really. Even still this is easily worth buying the poo poo out of and enjoying over a couple days.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Spikeguy posted:

I picked up Tales of Borderlands on the last sale and MAN, the difference between that and this game is night and day. I would have never picked that when they were both announced. So much more style and fun in Borderlands.

On the other hand, I picked up the first episode of TftB a couple weeks ago for free on XBox Live and I played what I'd guess to be about half of it before putting it down, and I haven't gone back since. It's not that it was bad per se, but without the lore of GoT it's just not nearly as engaging for me. I did notice that each individual choice seems to have way more bearing on how the story goes, albiet there seemed to be less choices overall (at least in the bit that I played; I think my character had just decided to ruin his rival/new boss's career.) But ultimately that meant less interaction to me so I felt more like I was just watching something. In Game of Thrones, not only was I cool with 'just watching something' because it was in the GoT universe, but I felt like I was more a part of what was happening, even if it was ultimately superficial and had less bearing on the overall outcome than you can have with TftB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

timp posted:

It's not that it was bad per se, but without the lore of GoT it's just not nearly as engaging for me.

I suspect this is part of the reason Tales from the Borderlands is a much better game than Game of Thrones, even if it didn't click for you personally -- GoT didn't need to be more than a lazy cash-in to get people to play it, whereas Tales needed to be good in order to justify the existence of a Borderlands adventure game.

• Locked thread