Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I want HoI4 more then Stellaris.

tbh Stellaris doesn't sound all that fun multiplayer, just like any other 4x. But that's fine, it doesn't need to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

It's a Paradox game so I'm hype anyway but Space loving 4X games are my goddamn crack cocaine so if an actual good one comes out then uhhh :rip: any other games I want to play, or things I want to do in life.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DrSunshine posted:

Tell me about it. I knew from the moment I started seeing that exploration ship going from system to system, exploring every single thing there, that this would be a game that I could spend literal days on.

It really looks like Distant Worlds but designed in a sane fashion.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Rakthar posted:

Stellaris video showing off the game for 10 minutes including the :siren::siren: SHIP DESIGNER :siren::siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRp7T5irXTQ

:qq: This is going to be so beautiful. :qq:

uPen posted:

It really looks like Distant Worlds but designed in a sane fashion.

:qq: This is all i ever wanted. :qq:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gamerofthegame posted:

I want HoI4 more then Stellaris.

tbh Stellaris doesn't sound all that fun multiplayer, just like any other 4x. But that's fine, it doesn't need to be.

the first diplomatic ship i send to greet whatever equivalent of the Zuul is in Stellaris will be named Gamerofthegame

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

not gamerofthelame c'mon step up your game

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Mans posted:

the first diplomatic ship i send to greet whatever equivalent of the Zuul is in Stellaris will be named Gamerofthegame

You mean whatever faction is shockingly incompetent in AI hands yet somehow simultaneously shockingly overpowered in human hands in multiplayer; or are you just one of many who think every game would be improved with parasitic Catholic space weasels?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

The Sharmat posted:

You mean whatever faction is shockingly incompetent in AI hands yet somehow simultaneously shockingly overpowered in human hands in multiplayer; or are you just one of many who think every game would be improved with parasitic Catholic space weasels?

Now let's be fair, who among us does not fall into that latter camp? :catholic: :stoat:

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

DrSunshine posted:

Tell me about it. I knew from the moment I started seeing that exploration ship going from system to system, exploring every single thing there, that this would be a game that I could spend literal days on.

If days and not months is your metric for time spent in paradox games you're a loving casual. Hth

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Sharmat posted:

i refuse to play any game that does not have a catholic faction

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Mans posted:

________________________/

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Mans posted:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

If this is not in the game I'm not buying it.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

What's the deets on the space pope's space pope mobile?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Sorry to interrupt Stellaris chat butI was just going to ask for a Darkest Hour game I've had, that I really want to continue. It is 1945 and I, as Germany have annexed Russia up to the Urals, Britain sans N.I and North Africa (inc Suez). The Germany I created has about 350 divisions (30-50 ARM/MOT) and various allies. I'm on the cusp of nuclear technology. Now I feel that besides the time wasted, the USA is going to be easymode given how the AI is. I could play as the United States themselves but I've done the 'America is liberates fallen Europe' before so I want to try the post Bitter Peace Soviets.

After the 20% dissent the USSR has 159 IC it can use along with 24 INF, 1 ARM (I know) and 24 Militia. The question is: Can I conceivably recover and rebuild enough to fight Germany back by 1964? My airforce isn't completely dead but I worry It'd take too long for my troops numbers to recover, along with the fact that Germany will be using nukes. On top of that, even if all infantry spam is potent in DH, I worry that I may not have enough of an advantage and Germany's own amoured/mot divisions will throw up problems. On top of that I worry that the collective power of Italy, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Finland and the Reichkommisariats etc will make it even tougher.

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 7, 2015

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I wouldn't have thought so. Germany should have about four times your IC and the AI isn't so incompetent when it has the entire eastern front to play with.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea, just try to amphibiously invade the US.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Gort posted:

I wouldn't have thought so. Germany should have about four times your IC and the AI isn't so incompetent when it has the entire eastern front to play with.

I started from 1936 and Germany has 313 IC, yet the issue for any Soviet game would simply be the fact that Germany alone has 360 divisions, Italy 111 etc. Even if you account for places like England being onto themselves or Italy being stuck in an African foreverwar, there is just so much that could be thrown at the SU. On top of that, this does not account for the ReichKommisariats's divisions which'd be created shortly.

Honestly I was tempted to just declare a win state at invading North/America but the issue is simply that the AI is piss poor at defending said country. The process of taking on the USA would be several years of naval teching/ship building followed by a couple of amphib invasions the USA would have no way to deal with. The USA hasn't even taken down Japan so that would ensure that manpower is being applied there. Hell the USA is sitting on 5 BBs and 2 CVs currently so the AI probably wouldn't be able to put up too much of a naval fight either.

Honestly I'm just tempted to try it as the US as making a successful Germany in Europe makes for a great end boss (which is getting nukes). Given that Japan is still alive as well, it means I have a lot to do. I apologise for blathering on about this but I have about 20 years of gametime left, with quite an interesting situation and it;d be fun to make something more of it then turn Europe to a German desert and call it victory.

Edit: A state of the world in 1945:

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 7, 2015

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Your weekly dose of Stellaris:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-12-policies-edicts.895923/

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Everything is lovely at defending themselves in Darkest Hour. The reason mobility is so OP is the early tank divs so you can run around and pocket everything, after all. Kaiserreich is vaguely balanced by the fact that A.) It's random as gently caress and B.) the war starts maybe two years in, so most of the armies of the major conflict of the game are your starting ones. (Navies, certainly.) Which means the AI gets away with being dumb by force parity.

DH has terrible AI.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Looks like someone's not a big fan of the prime directive!

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

Everything is lovely at defending themselves in Darkest Hour. The reason mobility is so OP is the early tank divs so you can run around and pocket everything, after all. Kaiserreich is vaguely balanced by the fact that A.) It's random as gently caress and B.) the war starts maybe two years in, so most of the armies of the major conflict of the game are your starting ones. (Navies, certainly.) Which means the AI gets away with being dumb by force parity.

DH has terrible AI.

That is true. It is very silly how for example, the UK can fall apart with just a brief moment of air dominance and some well placed paratroopers, followed by a transport rush. I guess I feel that if you're going to have everyone who is garbage at defence, at least have a nation that'd have a great deal of its army (unless Germany does something bizzare like put most of its army in North Africa) on the continent you're invading, along with territorial depth to go with it.

Edit: Also Gort do you have any email/IM? Just wanted to talk to you about some DH related stuff.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

SkySteak posted:

That is true. It is very silly how for example, the UK can fall apart with just a brief moment of air dominance and some well placed paratroopers, followed by a transport rush.
Isn't this basically historical though?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Riso posted:

Looks like someone's not a big fan of the prime directive!

You can have a non-interference policy if you want to pass up all that free slave labour for some reason :confused:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darkrenown posted:

You can have a non-interference policy if you want to pass up all that free slave labour for some reason :confused:

Are you allowed to just brutally glass the pre-FTL civilizations and colonize your new Mars-like world?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

tooterfish posted:

Isn't this basically historical though?

Historically Sealion was so ill-conceived that the Royal Navy could have sunk half the invasion force just by sending a single destroyer tearing through fast enough that the bow-wave would capsize the cockleshells the Nazis had planned to use for transports. It was pretty much never a realistic threat.

Not to mention that getting an invasion force across is one thing - supplying it is quite another.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Timed sliders are kind of gross but at least CK2s been around long enough that I can at least trust they will be the least amount of gross necessary.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

"Purge", eh? So it's OK to have a Genocide button in a Paradox game as long as it's aliens? ;)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tomn posted:

Historically Sealion was so ill-conceived that the Royal Navy could have sunk half the invasion force just by sending a single destroyer tearing through fast enough that the bow-wave would capsize the cockleshells the Nazis had planned to use for transports. It was pretty much never a realistic threat.

Not to mention that getting an invasion force across is one thing - supplying it is quite another.

Yeah Sealion in HOI2/3 relies on using paratroopers to sneakily seize a coastal province in Britain that the AI doesn't protect properly and then shuttling Divisions across the channel in hours because loading and unloading takes zero time. All without serious interference from the RN because your transports aren't ever really vulnerable for the aforementioned reason.

The way supply works now implies that Naval invasions will make a lot more sense because you need a) investment in supply throughput and b) beachhead space in order to support enough divisions to actually fight your way in.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Alchenar posted:

Yeah Sealion in HOI2/3 relies on using paratroopers to sneakily seize a coastal province in Britain that the AI doesn't protect properly and then shuttling Divisions across the channel in hours because loading and unloading takes zero time. All without serious interference from the RN because your transports aren't ever really vulnerable for the aforementioned reason.

The way supply works now implies that Naval invasions will make a lot more sense because you need a) investment in supply throughput and b) beachhead space in order to support enough divisions to actually fight your way in.

I just hope that the AI is able to successfully invade the Fortress Europe, because that is is my view the biggest problem the HoI3 AI has.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

zedprime posted:

Timed sliders are kind of gross but at least CK2s been around long enough that I can at least trust they will be the least amount of gross necessary.

Please, these are all new timed radio buttons :colbert:

DrSunshine posted:

"Purge", eh? So it's OK to have a Genocide button in a Paradox game as long as it's aliens? ;)

Yes No, Purge is clearly different from Genocide.

Larry Parrish posted:

Are you allowed to just brutally glass the pre-FTL civilizations and colonize your new Mars-like world?

You gotta sent in the ground troops to clear them out, but yes.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011
Is it going to be possible to see other empire's policies in case you happen to have one of those wussy civilizations and you don't want to get into bed, diplomatically speaking, with cultures that exterminate the locals and steal their planets, or whatever?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Darkrenown posted:

Please, these are all new timed radio buttons :colbert:

I don't mind this - it stops people from gaming the gently caress out of the system by flipping back-and-forth to deal with an immediate situation and punishes people who make reactionary and shortsighted decisions by forcing them to stick with it while whever downside to the policy slowly fucks things up.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

You gotta sent in the ground troops to clear them out, but yes.

Are you going to actually have to build ground troops like in Space Empires, which adds a really unnecessary extra layer of production and logistics, or will it be more Endless Space-style where troops are abstracted by just having an invasion value on a space ship?

Comedy middle option: Gal Civ style invasions where you load a billion civilians onto one ship and dump them on an enemy planet with no special training but it's okay because you bombarded the planet with asteroids first always did information warfare because the other options did permanent damage to your new colony.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Darkrenown posted:

I better be able to land and claim to be their God and demand constant tribute. Especially if you're mentioning Gou'ald empires.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Darkrenown posted:

Your true colours finally reveal themselves!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

vyelkin posted:

Are you going to actually have to build ground troops like in Space Empires, which adds a really unnecessary extra layer of production and logistics, or will it be more Endless Space-style where troops are abstracted by just having an invasion value on a space ship?

Comedy middle option: Gal Civ style invasions where you load a billion civilians onto one ship and dump them on an enemy planet with no special training but it's okay because you bombarded the planet with asteroids first always did information warfare because the other options did permanent damage to your new colony.

There's definitely a tab for Armies on planets. I don't think we've gotten a look at what's in there yet though, but I suspect if it's worth a whole tab on the planetary screen there's probably a gameplay layer there of some sort.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Yesssss this is so good :allears:

Also they wargamed it with some high-ups who had served in WW2, in both the British and German forces, a couple of decades back, and the conclusion was that it was possible Germany could have made landings in England (by no means certain, but not completely inconceivable either), but the land defenses were sufficient that they wouldn't get very far, the RN would cut them off from supply or evacuation, and we'd have to find something to do with all these krauts we just captured.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Mister Adequate posted:

Yesssss this is so good :allears:

Also they wargamed it with some high-ups who had served in WW2, in both the British and German forces, a couple of decades back, and the conclusion was that it was possible Germany could have made landings in England (by no means certain, but not completely inconceivable either), but the land defenses were sufficient that they wouldn't get very far, the RN would cut them off from supply or evacuation, and we'd have to find something to do with all these krauts we just captured.

Operation Sea Lion (wargame)

quote:

Of the 90,000 German troops who landed only 15,400 returned to France. 33,000 were taken prisoner, 26,000 were killed in the fighting and 15,000 drowned in the English Channel. All six umpires deemed the invasion a resounding failure.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I've long since stopped using paratroopers or doomstacks of like, CAS, against the AI in DH. Just isn't very sporting :colbert: