Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So Star Citizen is Tinkerbell now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

So having played the Alpha 2.0 for a couple hours now, it's already better than boring pile of poo poo Elite: Dangerous which I wasted 15 bucks on.

Yup, I said it.

source your quotes

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kegslayer posted:

:smug: Hey maybe you shouldn't be spending rent and food money on a loving jpeg

:reddit: Why are you goons so mean to me with your hilarious sarcastic posting?

I want to post on reddit and accuse people of being a goon for not being supportive enough

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Snazzy Frocks posted:

If you can hi-jack a ship and steal it, you either gently caress over someone with LTI by preventing them from using their LTI ship while it remains intact OR people with LTI can just distribute ships as they please if they can recover stolen ships, etc, etc.

This probably is addressed already I hope.

There will be Space Claim Adjusters in place to combat Space Insurance Fraud. I'm not joking.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

If you can hi-jack a ship and steal it, you either gently caress over someone with LTI by preventing them from using their LTI ship while it remains intact OR people with LTI can just distribute ships as they please if they can recover stolen ships, etc, etc.

This probably is addressed already I hope.

They already said you can get spoofed ID tags for stolen ships to make them legal, so there's probably nothing stopping someone from essentially duplicating the most powerful ships even if it requires going into dangerous territory. Because hey, you got a bunch of spoofed powerful ships in a giant growing snowball of big ships.

Yet another gameplay mechanic that hasn't been thought out too well. Because who's to judge if some John Rando that happens to be in the same 3rd party VOIP program, and was the one that stole your ship strangely without firing a shot, is an associate of yours?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Nee naw I'm a spacepoliceman stop criminal scum you are guilty of ramming for lols now you die pew pew pew

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Space insurance defrauder does sound more interesting than space trucker.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

OWLS! posted:

But Rebel Galaxy is single player...

Sure but where's the neckbeard pissing contest in the form spending thousands of dollars on jpegs? :smuggo:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

For some reason Redditors seem 100% convinced the tech they will reveal is...... a loving character creator. How dense are these people? What are they even basing that off?

Whatever it was, it left Ben speechless apparently. Something tells me a character creator is a little too simple.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

trucutru posted:

Space insurance defrauder does sound more interesting than space trucker.

Next up is space auditor just in case you try to cheat on your space taxes. You will need a space accountant and a space lawyer to sort out your books.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Justin Tyme posted:

For some reason Redditors seem 100% convinced the tech they will reveal is...... a loving character creator. How dense are these people? What are they even basing that off?

Female avatars are due soon, so might be right.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Justin Tyme posted:

Dusty Lens posted:

Given that they've been making GBS threads out faces lately (albeit captured) I'm going to guess that we're going to see a prototype of their revolutionary person maker. But you're probably correct.

:negative:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/302129/am-i-hallucinating-or-are-these-ships-really-over-10k

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

AP posted:

Female avatars are due soon, so might be right.

I don't buy it. From a recent article about S42 they mentioned the only thing you can do is choose your gender, but not your face (even from any presets). Sure they might have lady models but I doubt it's full-on character creation.

I stand by my original prediction based off recent comments from crobbits and lesnick :colbert:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

McGiggins posted:

So apparently someone has figured out how to use both ship and hand weapons in the armistice zone or whatever it is and has been gunning down folks and blowing up their ships as soon a they take off, and an ArmA sperg I know straight up accused the person of being a goon.

And then bitched to me about it. :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmn9asN-8AE

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6039058/#Comment_6039058

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Gassing Jews wasn't a Bad Thing, the Nazis were just trying to kickstart a renaissance.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

aleksendr posted:

I have to defend SC on that one (Oh how it hurt) Gun dont need air to launch a projectile, the oxidizer you need is already in the propellant. As for cool laser gun and plasma, regular guns are a pretty dam efficient tech already. Small, easy to use, low cost, easy to manufacture (look at the guy making a cheap AK from a shovel and some spring)

Unless you face serious advances in armor tech or want to go for a specific sci-fi feel, no need to improve on guns (and the code needed for them was probably already built-in with the cry engine).

I'm not 100% sure that you could take any pistol or a rifle right now and fire it in a vacuum and have it work, but in general you're right - a handgun or rifle, in terms of general physics, has more in common with a rocket than it does with a "laser gun" or "plasma gun", and certainly we make rockets that work in space. Your standard NATO 5.56 accelerates a payload to just under a kilometer/sec, transferring about two thousand joules to do it, which is pretty good at doing what it does.

For some reason, it's rather difficult to get effectivity numbers on how lasers of varying strengths and wavelengths cause damage to human beings. It's also likely that I'm on a watchlist now. That being said, a laser weapon has a number of potential secondary side effects on the target but, when jacked up to human-lethal levels, hypothetically works mainly by causing thermal damage, i.e., heat. This is not really a very efficient way to approach killing someone at a distance for a number of reasons, not least of which is that the energy required to cause damage quickly enough to compare to a bullet wound is far in excess of of the energy required to do the same with a bullet. There are other issues, such as focusing the beam at the target point and keeping the beam roughly on the same spot for a long enough duration to cause damage, as well as lesser (but still relevant issues) involving ablation and thermal transfer, but the short version is you'd need a much much bigger laser than you would a ballistic weapon to do the same job. If you've got the technology to make a hand-held sized laser pistol, you can do the same thing with bullets even better - making a hand-held rail gun, for example, to deliver heavier projectiles faster instead of relying exclusively on chemical propellant.

It's not necessary to take a hard science approach to this; plenty of sci-fi handwaves it because "laser guns", in whatever form, are cool and fun. In general, though, guns firing bullets are really good at doing their job and it is unlikely that in the visible future that we will be able to adapt any of the technologies we know about to do things that existing guns do in a more efficient/effective manner than guns as we know them can do them.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

Whatever it was, it left Ben speechless apparently.

Food replicator powering an infinite buffet.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Justin Tyme posted:

Whatever it was, it left Ben speechless apparently. Something tells me a character creator is a little too simple.

Ben weighs twelve hundred loving pounds. He wasn't speechless, he was breathless, because he had to stand up for 15 seconds an hour previously.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
dollers per fun

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

How will they ensure that you are the certified owner of each ship that you fly? My thinking is that you wait in line in order to show your official Citizens Certificate and a piloting license before taking off in any docked ship. If you do not have both your license and certificate, you need to fill out the appropriate paperwork and snail-mail it to CIG. When CIG finally uploads your certificate into the game world, you can go back to waiting in the docking line. This is the best way to ensure Star Citizen matches the quantifiable fun matrix I've graphed in excel.

Its Papers, Please.....In Space! :gary:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

We don't "buy" ships, we simply give CIG money and receive ships in return. :downsbravo:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

More "science":

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/4682695/#Comment_4682695

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Obviously the amazing reveal will be the $63,000,000 stretch goal. High fidelity Legal :woof:

They will sell corgis for $30,000.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Final Griefing Solution

My fellow spacemen, we all love our ships. I don't have to tell you this. I know how many hours you've put into yours, greasing up that terrycloth and buffing out every nook and cranny of that hull until it shines like the day it rolled off the factory floor. Only the cold vacuum of space knows our vessels more intimately. To stand erect, with proud upthrust bosom, and admire a spaceship without actually flying it- that, that is the essence of what it means to be a Star Citizen.

Now some may say, "But I occasionally would like to go and fly around!" And to them I respond "NEIGH!" - that was a horsepun for our furry brethren- "That is the realm of the griefer, the troll, the loathed goon. Venture not into that good night, not for many weeks now, since the first days of the baby poo." That realm is forever denied to us, my brothers- controlled by those who might occasionally engage us in dreaded pee vee pee. How can we be masters of our destiny if someone out there can interact with us in a manner not explicitly designed to make us feel empowered? "Fight back!" Cries the tryhard. "Fly somewhere else!" Says the carebear. And to them, again I respond - "NAY :)"- with a little dickpic at the end there for our lady friends- "I reject those answers. I choose something different. I choose the impossible. I choose... to complain to the moderators."

And they listened! Oh yes, my friends, they listened well. Even now they are preparing the way. Goons will be the first to go, of course- those foul mouthed doubters never had any place among us, you can be sure of that. But there is more to come! So much more. Anyone who points a weapon at another player's ship will be placed on a watchlist for possible aggressive violation of our safe space policies- repeat incidents will result in banishment. Beyond that, any player who gazes too long upon the ship of someone who has paid more money into the game will be given a thorough drubbing for being so covetous of the goods of a social superior. Finally, our new web crawler will comb the post histories of every user- across all sites- and thoroughly, carefully weed out the dissenters who have so long poisoned our ranks. Every one of these miscreants, these malcontents- and their friends, families and loved ones- are bound for the camps. Mark my words.

Yes, true believers- we are entering a golden age indeed. An age where a man may not only sit in his hangar, but actually fly his ship, free from fear of his fellow man. As long as he keeps his goddamn hands to himself. And remember, "Die Griefen sind unser Unglück!"

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I can't ever see that page with "The Stretch Goals" on top without laughing.

Our first stretch goal was two inches, then three... but now, our stretch goal is a whole 6 inches!!!

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Olesh posted:

I'm not 100% sure that you could take any pistol or a rifle right now and fire it in a vacuum and have it work, but in general you're right...

This has kind of been done to death though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(2014_season)#Gun_in_a_Vacuum

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUdkIn7C9fA

As examples.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Dapper Dan posted:

Next up is space auditor just in case you try to cheat on your space taxes. You will need a space accountant and a space lawyer to sort out your books.

We have plenty of space auditors already - Karl is about seven of them. But how will they balance the books if there's no gravity :ohdear:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Immersion/realism and fun?! SC "LIFE SIMULATION" and "MULTIPLE CHARACTERS" posted:

[Preface: ]

->INTRODUCTION:

Today many games try to be as "immersive" and "realistic" as possible, when it comes to gameplay (and graphics), if you don´t know what i am talking about, think about the popularty of "survival" games like Rust, The Forest, Dayz, Stranded Deep, The Long Dark etc. or all those "immersion" mods for games like Skyrim.
But there is a big Problem, especially in mmo´s and even more in mmo´s with "persistent worlds/universes", you can´t "skip time" and i assume most of you don´t want to watch your Charackter, while he sleeps, eats or does "every days work", especially not if the ingame time isn´t much faster than "real time"
Accordingly the developers need to find compromises, but what if Star Citizen dosen´t need to find those compromises for the PU ?
What if it could be "fun to play" and as immersive as possible, with belivable socities and your charackter(s) beeing fully "intergrated" in these "ai socities"?
I think i found a possible solution, that is probally easy to impliment, maintain, balance and expand.

->CONCEPT:

The main idea, is beeing able to create and play 2 or more "main" charackters, which have different modes:

1. Active mode: You are in control and activly control what your char. is doing, like you do now in SC.
2. Observation/manage mode: You aren´t directly controling your char. but you can set the "Code of Conduct", manage what he/she will do while you aren´t in control and you can see your char.´s status (like health, vitality, exhaustion etc)
3. Passive/npc mode: You are either not playing SC at the moment, or you play a diffrent char., during this time your char. follows npc "manipulated" routines which you can mangae in mode 2 and it does things like sleeping, eating, studing, healing in the hospital and earns UEC at a "normal", boring Job.
[2.1: Timelaps/+info mod: A possible later additon where you char. "takes" pictures every minute or so Which you can look at in a timelaps to see what happend during mode 3, a status info would do it too i guess.]

As i stated before, there are many possibilities to expand this system, like:

-Creating/playing your own SC familly (great with Star Citizens perma. death system)
-share your char.`s with friends, for example they can "switch in" and help you on a multi crew ship if there is npc crew.
-having char.´s with storys and a specialization for certain jobs/abileties
and many more...

There are 3 bigger disatvanteges/problems with this concept, i am aware of at the moment:

-This will be even more load for the PU servers to process and store => a solution could be to "simulate" mode 3 only if another player/char. is around or interacts with the passive char.
-Even if it is probably not as hard to do as a multi crew ship, in which you can walk around, while its flying, still some programming/ scripting/hud work has to be done, to achive this => It isn´t neccesary to implemented it, long befor SC PU is going to be released and it can be done in very small steps, for example starting with sleeping char. in the allready existing beds.
-The char.´s are vulnarable to other players, when they are in mode 3 => If i remember rigth, CR allready stated that you have to be in a "safe zone" to log out and offline sleeping quaters could be made "none leathal" zones.

->EXAMPLES:

-GTA 5
Is one popular example that this is possible, as you can choose between 3 char.´s who have diffrent abileties, you can "switch" fluently between them and they maintain their "own life" while you aren´t in control.

-Sims
Is the best known example for "life simulation", obviusly SC PU dosen´t need to go as far as sims with controling and simulating the life of virtual charackters, but it could be a orientaion, when it comes to some mechanics.

->CONCLUSION/GOAL:

-This concepts goal is to enhance the players experince, with immersion, prevention of boredom and enhancing the "player charackter connection"
-It should ease the Conflict between people who want more realism/imersion and people who want to play a quick, easy accesable, fun game.
-And reduce the neccesarity of compromises for the Developers.

Thank you for reading and i would like to read your resposen/opinion on this subject.

See you in the ´verse
Valadin the son of Orion

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
It looks like our man on the inside came through as promised and all the invites have been sent to the registered goonrathi email addresses. I hope to be a valuable asset to the dedicated ramming squad and look forward to meeting my fellow rammers on the morning shift. If the goonrathi leadership sees fit I am also available for assignment on the weekends.

Per Aspera Ad Astra

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Olesh posted:

I'm not 100% sure that you could take any pistol or a rifle right now and fire it in a vacuum and have it work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUdkIn7C9fA

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

So having played the Alpha 2.0 for a couple hours now, it's already better than boring pile of poo poo Elite: Dangerous which I wasted 15 bucks on.

Yup, I said it.

You said it.

I prefer this sorta space game myself.

http://giant.gfycat.com/VastSnappyIguanodon.mp4

G0RF fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 7, 2015

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

alphabettitouretti posted:

Nee naw I'm a spacepoliceman stop criminal scum you are guilty of ramming for lols now you die pew pew pew
Nee naw I'm a spacepoliceman stop criminal scum you are guilty of ramming for lols and resisting spacearrest by ramming spacepolicemen now you WAIT NO NOT AGAIN

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the way you play video games isn't correct, i want to punish you for it

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

neonbregna posted:

It looks like our man on the inside came through as promised and all the invites have been sent to the registered goonrathi email addresses. I hope to be a valuable asset to the dedicated ramming squad and look forward to meeting my fellow rammers on the morning shift. If the goonrathi leadership sees fit I am also available for assignment on the weekends.

Per Aspera Ad Astra

Anyone that thinks they haven't gotten theirs, check your spam folder, that's where mine was. But yes, supposedly everyone should have theirs by now, but of course it hasn't been verified until everyone has managed to check in, in the 'verse.

Still waiting on the final numbers and to hear from the guys that volunteered for the super late/early shifts, but it looks like we should be able to keep at least six+ goons active around the clock, 24 hours a day.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/302289/cloth-patches-star-citizen-logo-missing-the-inner-ring

Raavin
Jul 6, 2007
I really hope we get some videos of the ramming squad in action.

Unless there already were some and I missed it...this thread moves fast.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

octopode is currently furiously writing the owner of the sweatshop that made this patch demanding that whoever made it be lashed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Olesh posted:

I'm not 100% sure that you could take any pistol or a rifle right now and fire it in a vacuum and have it work, but in general you're right - a handgun or rifle, in terms of general physics, has more in common with a rocket than it does with a "laser gun" or "plasma gun", and certainly we make rockets that work in space. Your standard NATO 5.56 accelerates a payload to just under a kilometer/sec, transferring about two thousand joules to do it, which is pretty good at doing what it does.

Pin strikes primer, primer detonates in cartridge which ignites powder and propels bullet outward. None of that changes in space.

Shoot a gun sometime and examine non-fired cartridges. Its fun, and available now!

• Locked thread