Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
I was going to say I think I read that LE Modessit book about a guy building furniture and I loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lobsterpillar posted:

I was going to say I think I read that LE Modessit book about a guy building furniture and I loved it.

Yeah, I remember after reading one of his books realizing that I had just read a book about a cabinet maker who overhears a lot of people talking about him, does a lot a inner monologuing, and occasionally goes and blows something up by loving up molecular bonds with his mind. And I was OK with it. Love me the Recluse and Imager Portfolio books.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

pile of brown posted:

I can't remember the author off the top of my head but the engineer trilogy, first book devices and desires, had lots of furniture building as well

K J Parker. Very good writer, horrible protagonists.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

computer parts posted:

Tolkien also has the main antagonist of the Hobbit killed off screen from the perspective of the protagonists, and he most definitely wasn't a "Master" then.

The Hobbit is structured as a series of bedtime stories and doesn't have a consistent antagonist. Bilbo isn't the protagonist of the story where Smaug dies.

And the point isn't that you have to be established to be a master. If someone breaks a rule and it makes sense and improves the story then it's good, and any rule can be broken like this. 90% of the time when a rule is broken, it has a lovely outcome.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

K J Parker. Very good writer, horrible protagonists.

They're good protagonists, they're just horrible people.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Khizan posted:

They're good protagonists, they're just horrible people.

I'd probably call them main characters rather than protagonists in a lot of cases, since in many novels they'd actually be the antagonists if it weren't for them getting the most screen time. KJ Parker really gets on my nerves for just this reason. I love his writing style so much, I really enjoy his worldbuilding and his plotting, but I can't get on with his novels because of just how unlikeable the main characters are.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NovemberMike posted:

The Hobbit is structured as a series of bedtime stories and doesn't have a consistent antagonist. Bilbo isn't the protagonist of the story where Smaug dies.

And the point isn't that you have to be established to be a master. If someone breaks a rule and it makes sense and improves the story then it's good, and any rule can be broken like this. 90% of the time when a rule is broken, it has a lovely outcome.

And even "Masters" do the latter, like Tolkien's geographical rather than chronological division of The Two Towers (you might remember GRRM also using this technique).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oh god, it starts again! A reminder that Bands of Mourning are coming soon.

Here's chapter one!

http://www.tor.com/2015/12/07/excerpts-brandon-sanderson-the-bands-of-mourning-chapter-one/

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Here's chapter one!

http://www.tor.com/2015/12/07/excerpts-brandon-sanderson-the-bands-of-mourning-chapter-one/

I'm going to do what I usually do with Sanderson, and only read the first one of these. So before this thread becomes an unpenetrable mess of black bars this is a pretty good start IMO.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Here's chapter one!

I hope that cover reflects that Steris will have a larger role in this. Between that last book and this teaser chapter, I'm really liking her.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Torrannor posted:

Here's chapter one!

And now chapter 2

http://www.tor.com/2015/12/14/the-bands-of-mourning-chapter-two/

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I'm kind of miffed that they posted this chapter. They should perhaps only posted the very last part or just skipped it entirely.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Torrannor posted:

I'm kind of miffed that they posted this chapter. They should perhaps only posted the very last part or just skipped it entirely.

Now I don't know if I want to read it or try holding out until the book releases. :ohdear:

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

Now I don't know if I want to read it or try holding out until the book releases. :ohdear:

I'm not reading it, and I'm also going to peace out of this thread until the book comes out. My willpower isn't strong enough to deal with temptation.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I just read it. It's like ripping off a band aid, just get it over with.

I do like Steris though, I hope she is featured more in this book.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

New State of the Sanderson post is up.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Haha, that man has so many planned books its ridiculous. He has his book order (probably add in a couple novellas here and there) planned out until sometime in 2022...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Next Stormlight book probably not until 2017? :emo:

I didn't realize the Wax and Wayne stuff was 4 books. I thought it ended with Bands of Mourning. I am looking forward to a 1980s Mistborn though. Imagine a misting lead singer in a hair metal band. :regd10:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Evil Fluffy posted:

I didn't realize the Wax and Wayne stuff was 4 books. I thought it ended with Bands of Mourning. I am looking forward to a 1980s Mistborn though. Imagine a misting lead singer in a hair metal band. :regd10:

Yep! Alloy is "Stand alone", I was pleasantly surprised by that while reading Wikipedia. :haw:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

It appears the Stormlight series is giving him a case of the GRRM.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

computer parts posted:

It appears the Stormlight series is giving him a case of the GRRM.

10 books has been the plan for years now

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
State of the GRRM:

Winds of Winter: on hiatus

State of the Rothfuss:

Doors of Stone: on hiatus

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Right, unlike those two, Sanderson is still pumping out books. It will just take longer to finish his Stormlight Archive series.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I mean it just tends to happen to all "epic" book series. Dresden for example has been increasing the time between releases for like 4 years now.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

And the delay's fault isn't even his, it's the people that aren't him. "Dude, slow down, we have to read and edit and things to do to to get this ready to publish, and you're expecting us to do all this plus our other clients' works on a thousand page book several times for a thousand page book in eighteen months, minus the time you spend writing?"

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

I didn't think lead was one of the allomantic metals though :confused:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Evil Fluffy posted:

Perhaps on Scadrial, heavy metal gets its name from bendalloy mistings burning an alloy of two heavy metals to create speed bubbles that allow them to shred faster.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

computer parts posted:

I mean it just tends to happen to all "epic" book series. Dresden for example has been increasing the time between releases for like 4 years now.
The difference is that Sanderson's series entries get more spread out because he keeps getting more total series and random standalones; his average time between books as a whole has remained the same.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Cicero posted:

The difference is that Sanderson's series entries get more spread out because he keeps getting more total series and random standalones; his average time between books as a whole has remained the same.

The same? Or has it gotten faster?

Sometimes I swear that he somehow puts out 5+ books a year.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I would argue it's faster when you consider the sheer length of each Stormlight archives book.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cicero posted:

It sounded like for Stormlight it was more that he had free time since there was nothing else to do because wrangling all the plot elements was tiring and editing would tack on a year anyway.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
Chapter 3

Some juicy magic speculation going on here. Looking forward to seeing where this is going.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jorenko posted:

Chapter 3

Some juicy magic speculation going on here. Looking forward to seeing where this is going.

Massive spoilers, a big infodump and a very good hook to keep reading. I'm really looking forward to the book.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

So reading Aether of Night thanks to this and its a pretty great Christmas present. Even if its not up to his recent standards its still fun.

Plus fanboying everywhere on my part, of course I'll love it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

So reading Aether of Night thanks to this and its a pretty great Christmas present. Even if its not up to his recent standards its still fun.

Plus fanboying everywhere on my part, of course I'll love it.

The magic system from it is still canon, even if the rest of the story is pretty thoroughly scavanged.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah. You can tell a lot bits that were adapted for mistborn. And some thats very similar to the shard plate in Stormlight. Character archetypes Etc. I did enjoy it. Still plan on emailing back my detailed feelings on it as a courtesy. It does have it's flaws. Much like Elantris. Although it had pacing issues I didn't feel as if as he stated "it's two books in one"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'd recommend you ask about Mistborn Prime and Final Empire Prime as well. Mistborn Prime is like a mistborn fanfic after fans played one or two games of telephone with the magic systems.

Final Empire Prime is just batshit hilarious.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

thespaceinvader posted:

I'd probably call them main characters rather than protagonists in a lot of cases, since in many novels they'd actually be the antagonists if it weren't for them getting the most screen time. KJ Parker really gets on my nerves for just this reason. I love his writing style so much, I really enjoy his worldbuilding and his plotting, but I can't get on with his novels because of just how unlikeable the main characters are.

The Folding Knife was interesting in that the main character was looking out for number one and making things better for everyone else as a side effect (for most of the book, at least...). A good read for Sanderson fans, too, it's pretty funny and has that whole Avalanche thing going without a dragging middle.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Just think about this if you ever want to talk about how some book is objectively poo or such and such author is a novice and other fart huffing nonsense

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
I need someone to help me out. I took a long break from Stormlight Archives right about the halfway point of book two. I was able to pick it back up without having to start over again, but there is one thing I cannot remember for the life of me: how did Shallen get a shard blade? I know she is able to manipulate stormlight because of her connection to Pattern, but I cannot remember her getting a blade. She busted one out in the chasm and surprised me.