Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

This is clearly pre-alpha, it's perfectly normal and you just don't understand how procurement works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/301722/the-pirate-code

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/302254/there-will-never-be-a-pirate-code-live-with-it-you-romantics

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
How do you gently caress up your own logo, Ms VP OF MARKETING, HMMMM?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Octopode posted:

They do, but they don't change callsigns themselves--callsigns change when your squadron mates decide to give you a new one. They're like nicknames, only an idiot tries to make his own.

Also, no one in the Navy would have "Old Man" as their callsign. The Old Man is the CO, no one else.

Datacenter Engineer.
Network Engineer.
Application Developer.
Secret Squirrel.
Project Manager.
Executive Producer.
Civil Adjudicator.
API Developer.
Corporate Lawyer.
Financial Analyst.
Navy Pilot.

Octopode.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

I'm actually getting mad at vidya reading these. Please post more "science"

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

How do you gently caress up your own logo, Ms VP OF MARKETING, HMMMM?

The same way you gently caress up the names of the characters in your own IP.

What.

No, really. What?!
Is he really that confused about the difference between acceleration and speed, or does he simply not grasp the concept of vacuum (unless we're talking about radiation pressure and charged particle hits at high fractions of c)?

Tippis fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 8, 2015

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/51256/running-around-is-immersion-breaking

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:wtchris:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I think these shitizens start from the assumption that their game is a perfect reflection of reality because "unparalleled immersion". Then the track back from that to figure out how space works.

It's like watching dudes who think everything is made from earth, air, fire and water trying to puzzle out the universe. They didn't even have wikipedia to help.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

I just noticed the proverb in their signature is fortune favors the bold.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

alright topic is starting off good

:stonk:

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
That's a reasonable response

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Reading all the spergs projecting their hopes and dreams into Star Citizen really takes me back. It's like the great vaporware MMORPG days of Dawn and Horizons and the like, where communities grew and projected unrealistic game design goals upon pending MMOs and in many cases were strung along by developers taking advantage of a naive fan base. If the games ever did come out they sure as hell were nowhere near what was promised and often were buggy, boring messes like Anarchy Online or Star Wars Galaxies.

Between all of this, the hilarious forums drama, massive quantity of Derek Smart posts, etc..it feels like the early 2000s all over again. Makes me nostalgic for the glory days of Lum the Mad / Slow News Day / Corpnews and all the fun and drama that came from those communities and games.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 8, 2015

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
That's hilarious.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Octopode is in good company: SC Funding

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Tortolia posted:

Reading all the spergs projecting their hopes and dreams into Star Citizen really takes me back. It's like the great vaporware MMORPG days of Dawn and Horizons and the like, where communities grew and projected unrealistic game design goals upon pending MMOs and in many cases were strung along by developers taking advantage of a naive fan base.

yyyeeesss. So glad I'm not the only one who remembers Horizons. I got major dejavu just today reading someone post about "dynamic quests" on the SC sub-reddit.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

There are plenty of pictures: ***Updated on 12/6/2015*** My Real Life Constellation Bridge WIP! Livestream TODAY!

quote:

*UPDATED 12/6/2015* - New Pictures as the room comes closer to completion! I will be livestreaming today FROM the slipstream room! I will post the time as it gets closer!

LIVE STREAM INFO FOR TODAY!
https://www.twitch.tv/evarrslipstream

Go live in one hour with PTU 2.0G! (6pm CST)

Please see the new updated pictures in the second reply below!!!!

Hi all, I had to move to a new thread due to the length of the characters in the intial post, so here I will reserve several initial replies for future updates!

*UPDATED 1/10/2015* - The pictures and my explanations for this update are in the first reply down!

Thinking of the future for Star Citizen I'm releasing pictures of a project I planned to keep to myself until I release the video to CIG. But I felt like it would be more fun to show it as an 'alpha' process. So I present to you the creation of the SFR Slipstream. Constellation class. It will be a fully functioning bridge with space for five people. each with their own station able to crew multiperson ships (like the connie I own) all in the same room together with full immersion. Again, this is very early stages of it, but I figure since CIG took their plunge and released and had to take so many angry posts that I will bring you all along for the ride for the full creation of my Connie. Hope you like it, feel free to ask questions, please give suggestions, troll me, whatever you feel like.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Talking of 'rings', how come no-one has goatse'd that logo yet?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

G0RF posted:

That's hilarious.

Never mind the inner ring, check out that wonky lettering. I'm sure they paid top dollar for that dime store crap

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

yyyeeesss. So glad I'm not the only one who remembers Horizons. I got major dejavu just today reading someone post about "dynamic quests" on the SC sub-reddit.

poo poo, man, they were going to have an aquatic player race and tons of underwater cities and zones and quests. It was gonna own

Yeah, I was a bit naive about game development back then

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Berious posted:

Never mind the inner ring, check out that wonky lettering. I'm sure they paid top dollar for that dime store crap

please dont question the queen of marketing

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Someone asked this in 104TC back when I still paid attention to it. CR's answer was basically :dealwithit:.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The solution, of course ... another buggy!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Tortolia posted:

poo poo, man, they were going to have an aquatic player race and tons of underwater cities and zones and quests. It was gonna own

Yeah, I was a bit naive about game development back then

15 races in all, including dragons!

at least we weren't expected to pay in advance for our preference, I guess.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Berious posted:

I'm actually getting mad at vidya reading these. Please post more "science"

Yet more "science":

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/4683364/#Comment_4683364

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

gently caress the ring, what about the :pwn: looking A in the "Star" writing.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Even the Star Citizen patch needs a patch.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

AP posted:

Female avatars are due soon, so might be right.

Oh god I don't even want to imagine the creep factor when these are revealed.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

tooterfish posted:

Even the Star Citizen patch needs a patch.

:vince:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Oh god I don't even want to imagine the creep factor when these are revealed.

I bet the official forums will be overflowing with [Concern] threads about how the female avatar's breast size is too small or how their feet should be shaped more like the girls in the CS division.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I've been having a blast with the Ram Insurgency but I'd advise goons not to coordinate too much or you give the game away. It's much funnier if they don't realize they're being trolled by an organized group which would immediately tip them that goons are afoot. We should be pretending to be newbies, it will make them more paranoid. Until we can serious organize in large numbers there is zero advantage in showing our hand, the later they realize what is going on the later the shitizens and CIG will try to create countermeasures.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Immersion is important to Choggernaut:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/profile/discussions/395465/Choggernaut

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5248804/#Comment_5248804

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5698621/#Comment_5698621

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
10 for the Chairman: Episode 71

quote:

(10:24)
PHOENIX BRANSON ASKS: HAS CIG EVER CONSIDERED ADDING DYNAMIC WEATHER OR SURFACE LIGHTS TO THE PLANET’S SURFACE? COULD PLAYERS IN ORBIT SEE CLOUDS MOVING, LIGHTNING FLASHES, OR SURFACE LIGHTS THAT BECOME VISIBLE AS THE PLANET ENTERS IT’S NIGHT CYCLE?"

Yes we have definitely considered that. There’s definitely a longer term goal but we’ll be showing something in our livestream later this month that isn’t this but kind has some things along that you can sort of see the potential. Yes that’s the longer term plan, it won’t be day one but all those kinds of things would.. What we’re going to try to do is be as accurate to creating the planets and stuff so you should sort of see the day night cycles and if it’s night time, maybe you would see some city lights or weather patterns, or if there’s a landing location you can go there. So yes that’s in our longer term plans and like with everything it will get slotted in the game as we go along, but we sort of have more important stuff to knock out first so to speak.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Suddenly v ≠ ∫a dt, nor is J = ∫F dt . It's like a whole new paradigm of physics. :stonk:

Also, apparently, everyone is flying acoustic modems rather than spaceships, so that might have something to do with the sudden disappearance of impulse and momentum.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Olesh posted:

For some reason, it's rather difficult to get effectivity numbers on how lasers of varying strengths and wavelengths cause damage to human beings. It's also likely that I'm on a watchlist now. That being said, a laser weapon has a number of potential secondary side effects on the target but, when jacked up to human-lethal levels, hypothetically works mainly by causing thermal damage, i.e., heat. This is not really a very efficient way to approach killing someone at a distance for a number of reasons, not least of which is that the energy required to cause damage quickly enough to compare to a bullet wound is far in excess of of the energy required to do the same with a bullet. There are other issues, such as focusing the beam at the target point and keeping the beam roughly on the same spot for a long enough duration to cause damage, as well as lesser (but still relevant issues) involving ablation and thermal transfer, but the short version is you'd need a much much bigger laser than you would a ballistic weapon to do the same job. If you've got the technology to make a hand-held sized laser pistol, you can do the same thing with bullets even better - making a hand-held rail gun, for example, to deliver heavier projectiles faster instead of relying exclusively on chemical propellant.

If portable laser where possible (And i mean actual laser gun you can give grunts with 2 weeks training and have them care for it without blowing themselves or damaging it) it would brobably be outlawed by some convention as "inhumane". From my rough understanding (and i'm no expert, feel free to clarify or expand) any laser powerfull enough to be deadly (as in 1-2 hit kill) for a human would not cause a clean, cauterized hole like we see in movies but more like a microsteam explosion from the water in your cells instanly vaporizing, killing you by exploding your tissue from inward. People survinvg laser hit would have hugle chunky holes in the muscle tissue and any grazing hit would have you look as if you had a clause encounter with a flammenwerfer.

I know war is hell and the depravity of humanity know no bounds, but i think most soldiers would recoil at the idea of using those agaist infantry, kind of like white phosphorous today,

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Please, the pain.. Make it stop...

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress, crashed to desktop again. Still two more victims under my belt in a single session isn't that bad. :hellyeah:

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013

I think this gif appropriatatly conveys the enthusiasm with which Chris announces a new release.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Star Citizen: We’ll be showing something that isn’t this but kinda has some things you can sort of see the potential

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

gently caress, crashed to desktop again. Still two more victims under my belt in a single session isn't that bad. :hellyeah:

I've been getting a steady CTD about five minutes in every time. The consistency helps my feeling of immersion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

FrankieGoes posted:

Anyone that thinks they haven't gotten theirs, check your spam folder, that's where mine was. But yes, supposedly everyone should have theirs by now, but of course it hasn't been verified until everyone has managed to check in, in the 'verse.

Still waiting on the final numbers and to hear from the guys that volunteered for the super late/early shifts, but it looks like we should be able to keep at least six+ goons active around the clock, 24 hours a day.

Everything is good on my side, downloaded and installed smoothly. Regardless of reports the PTU is quite stable on my rig, maybe a crash every 15-30 minutes (Thanks for the optimised .ini, Sarsapariller)

I'm working until 2 AM so see you guys at the 3AM shift.

Per Aspera Ad Astra

• Locked thread