Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Like in this game we started the session in a temple with a bound, unconscious princess slung over someone's shoulder and a couple of dudes barged into the room demanding we give her back. By the time combat resolved we had set the place on fire, pinned a couple of us to walls, found a secret opening that lead to a cave system, and released a demon that left the temple and went off to slaughter the village. Each bit of combat, failure or success, brought us a little closer to that situation. That all happened during our dice rolls to see if you hit guy with sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

imgay posted:

combat is worst part of dnd. always takes forever

Respectfully disagree. With a leniant DM combat can be amazing. If you play with a "rules whore" that's when poo poo gets boring.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
hth that's a bad dm thing more than a system thing. I've played some hilarious campaigns in D&D that allowed for some crazy combat shenanigans that didn't have anything to do with actually fighting. I ran a campaign where at one point Jimson was a bear with a rope tied to him to try and trip a gigantic titan that the party accidentally summoned while the rest of the party tried to draw their attention.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

Kashuno posted:

hth that's a bad dm thing more than a system thing. I've played some hilarious campaigns in D&D that allowed for some crazy combat shenanigans that didn't have anything to do with actually fighting. I ran a campaign where at one point Jimson was a bear with a rope tied to him to try and trip a gigantic titan that the party accidentally summoned while the rest of the party tried to draw their attention.

Yeah, I guess your right. The problem is the newer rulebooks pretty much out right encourage bad dming.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Spiked Chain Fighter only Fighter.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Druids are supposed to date animals

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

imgay posted:

Druids are supposed to date animals

I roll for seduction ;)

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
D&D just has too many rules such that you can't just do a thing you have to consult to rulebook to make sure you are doing the right thing.

Just let me tell a story with my friends, and use some dice rolls to keep us on our toes.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Asiina posted:

D&D just has too many rules such that you can't just do a thing you have to consult to rulebook to make sure you are doing the right thing.

Just let me tell a story with my friends, and use some dice rolls to keep us on our toes.

Have you tried pathfinder? I know its pretty much dnd lite, but a lot of the goofy poo poo we did was a little easier to do because of the vaugeness of some stats.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I played D&D once and the GM refused to give me a steed but I was able to wrangle a shoulder parrot out of him.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I keep going back to this, but I really just like a system of:

1: you fail and something really bad happens
2:-7: You fail but are otherwise unharmed
8-13: Either you fail but something fortuitous happens, or you succeed but also have a slight disadvantage now
14-19: You succeed as intended
20: You succeed and also something awesome happens.

Just leave it up to that and let the players fill in absolutely everything else about the game.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I think the coolest thing about D&D that I remember was flying familiars delivering touch attacks.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Asiina host a game of dungeon world

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I am a bad DM.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'll read up on it and host a game if people are interested.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Hmm actually maybe I'll do a Christmas one. I've never DM'd a game before but it seems like it could be interesting and fun. I just get nervous trying to improve things.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I'll bring pizza rolls

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Mafia edit: improv things.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There will be blood

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Kashuno posted:

I'll read up on it and host a game if people are interested.

You know I am always down to clown.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

Hmm actually maybe I'll do a Christmas one. I've never DM'd a game before but it seems like it could be interesting and fun. I just get nervous trying to improve things.

I promise we will ruin your hopes and dreams so go ahead

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Jimson posted:

You know I am always down to clown.

Kash is a really good dm to you guys, even if I am excited to do a game with a new gm @asiina. I would probs join wha lt ever is posted.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kash seems like a good dude to judge my fate

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

imgay posted:

Kash seems like a good dude to judge my fate

imgay you are one of my favorite mafia players, but I am neutral in the DM world

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I definitely love playing too, so I'd play. I have an idea for a setting and a very basic outline of a couple of directions a story could go depending on player choices. I wouldn't want to do too much other than a skeleton outline just cause everything will get screwed up anyway.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It probably won't be until January but I will start reading!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
wait this isn't the discussion thread?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Asiina you should try GURPS.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

kind of squinting at people who are basically pushing this game into a chat thread. Seems like an easy way to distract from the actual scum hunting.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
SSV is on this game hi!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Honestly I just want to play some D&D and put some rolls in my mouth. Also I want to DM a game from lvl 1 in 5th edition. I understand your concerns Asiina but that just sounds like a game that's up its own rear end. I like the idea of PBP because certain flavor things can sound more official but idk Skype seems right

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

SirSamVimes posted:

kind of squinting at people who are basically pushing this game into a chat thread. Seems like an easy way to distract from the actual scum hunting.

Mate if you say you haven't played d&d I'm going to hop across the ditch and give you a tongue-lashing

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Birdstrike posted:

Mate if you say you haven't played d&d I'm going to hop across the ditch and give you a tongue-lashing

Only scum-tongues lash. Roll tongues gently caress and tickle.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Birdstrike posted:

I have played and enjoyed D&D. I especially like 4E because it's like a tabletop tactics game.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Asiina posted:

Like in this game we started the session in a temple with a bound, unconscious princess slung over someone's shoulder and a couple of dudes barged into the room demanding we give her back. By the time combat resolved we had set the place on fire, pinned a couple of us to walls, found a secret opening that lead to a cave system, and released a demon that left the temple and went off to slaughter the village. Each bit of combat, failure or success, brought us a little closer to that situation. That all happened during our dice rolls to see if you hit guy with sword.

Yeah this game ruled. I was the one who summoned the demon. Oops.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
loving

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
IDIOT FORUMS WENT DOWN AND ATE MY POST

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
##vote Ernie

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
So I think I'll run a Christmas themed one night Dungeon World thing. It'll probably be 3-4 players, I don't think I can handle more. If you're interested send me a PM. I'd put it in the mafia thread, but we were talking about it here. Once I have some people I'll set up a doc and we'll find a time when we have 4ish hours sometime before Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Anyway, why Ernie?

• Locked thread