Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ElegantFugue posted:

I was more interested in sending files than links, so airdroid might be the better way to go, then, thanks! New question: any suggestions for auto maintenance? Keeping track of services completed, when oil changes are due, that sort of thing?

aCar.

I've been using it for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If you're looking to take panoramas, you should absolutely download cardboard camera, even if you don't have a google cardboard. You can view and sync them in google photos and instead of the camera app's photosphere / panorama format where you move pause move, it's more like the iphone's panorama function where you slowly pan in a 360 in portrait mode.

Better functionality, better result, and if you ever get a cardboard you can check it out in 3d as well. It records sound, which could be neat.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

https://play.google.com/store/apps?hl=en

Is the search there working for anyone? It just doesn't do anything when I press Enter or click the magnifying glass. Tried on desktop Chrome, desktop Firefox in both incognito and not.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Haha, broken for me too.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Works for me, but I'm not in the US, so maybe it's a regional problem.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Thermopyle posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps?hl=en

Is the search there working for anyone? It just doesn't do anything when I press Enter or click the magnifying glass. Tried on desktop Chrome, desktop Firefox in both incognito and not.

Works fine for me here in Arizona on desktop Chrome.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Bhodi posted:

If you're looking to take panoramas, you should absolutely download cardboard camera, even if you don't have a google cardboard. You can view and sync them in google photos and instead of the camera app's photosphere / panorama format where you move pause move, it's more like the iphone's panorama function where you slowly pan in a 360 in portrait mode.

Better functionality, better result, and if you ever get a cardboard you can check it out in 3d as well. It records sound, which could be neat.

Where is the best place to buy one of those pre-made cardboard setups?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Amazon usually has a few.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
I just opened chrome on my phone and the little tab button is gone. I can't seem to find an option to restore it. So what's the deal, tabs are gone now? I really have to use the "flood your recent apps list with a poo poo load of random websites" option?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Syjefroi posted:

I just opened chrome on my phone and the little tab button is gone. I can't seem to find an option to restore it. So what's the deal, tabs are gone now? I really have to use the "flood your recent apps list with a poo poo load of random websites" option?

If you go to settings, is there a "Merge tabs and apps" setting?

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.

Syjefroi posted:

Newer Chrome put the tabs in "Recents" (recent apps) by default. You can change it in the settings, like Myron pointed out, under "Merge tabs and apps". Turn that poo poo off.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
Yeah I've got the merge thing off, the clutter it creates is maddening. The recent tabs, I see that now, thanks. I don't understand why they took away the functionality though. Now I have to long press each tab to choose to close it, which then bounces me out of recent tabs. Like, am I crazy or does this more or less break a key functionality component of chrome? I used to do tabs rapid fire, now it's like they don't actually want me to use a browser for anything other than a linear path through sites.

Is there any possible way to go back a version?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Syjefroi posted:

Yeah I've got the merge thing off, the clutter it creates is maddening. The recent tabs, I see that now, thanks. I don't understand why they took away the functionality though. Now I have to long press each tab to choose to close it, which then bounces me out of recent tabs. Like, am I crazy or does this more or less break a key functionality component of chrome? I used to do tabs rapid fire, now it's like they don't actually want me to use a browser for anything other than a linear path through sites.

Is there any possible way to go back a version?

Can you show me what you're talking about? I'm on the current Chrome version (47.0.2526.27) and it still works just like it always has.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm currently subscribed to Google Music - What is the difference between "Add to Playlist" and "Add to Library" when viewing songs on Google Music? If I add to a playlist does it not add to the library? What's the point of adding to library?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Your library is your collection of music. Things you like. Your Playlists are specific collections of songs you want to listen to together. Google Music includes all the songs in both of those as well as tons of other stuff you may or may not care about.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Super Dude posted:

Where is the best place to buy one of those pre-made cardboard setups?
I ordered the knox v2 from here https://www.google.com/get/cardboard/get-cardboard/ but that's because I have the big-rear end nexus 6 and I needed the larger one. It's pretty expensive, and I'm sure there are cheaper models if you don't have a giganto screen.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

myron cope posted:

They do have Portal, which is a separate app. It only mentions PC to device, does Airdroid to device to device?

Yeah but it means using your device's browser just like with a PC. Not exactly ideal but it works

e- I never bothered setting up an account, so I don't know what happens when you Share a file to Airdroid

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 7, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hey, Circa is coming back!

Sounds like the new owners are making some changes, but hopefully its still awesome.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Nova Launcher Prime is on sale for .99 cents, get it.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
In the uk it is 10p. For once we don't get shafted by exchange rates and tax!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Can't rep this hard enough. If you've been using a stock launcher this will be a big upgrade. You can try the free version to see if you like it, but its basically the first app I install when I get a new device.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Oh, cool. I'm using Apex because the one thing I want that Nova charges for (hiding apps in the app drawer) is free on Apex, but I've been concerned by the lack of updates the last five months.

Is there a way to import Apex settings into Nova? Not that I heavily customize, but it'd save some work.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Not empty quoting. Swipe actions on apps are great, the drawer folders and groups are great, and having bought this many years and devices ago I can really appreciate just how much better this is than any stock launcher I've used.

E: my one quirk is that the number of unread texts for Messenger is permanently too high by 2 and I have no idea how to fix it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yay, not "OK Google" works again and the home screen search bar is the newest Marshmallow design!

One question: is there a way to hide the folder labels when you open a folder of apps on the home screen? I have labels turned off everywhere else and it's annoying me to see labels there. Ironically, I can hide the labels of the apps in the folder, not the folder itself.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Uthor posted:

Yay, not "OK Google" works again and the home screen search bar is the newest Marshmallow design!

One question: is there a way to hide the folder labels when you open a folder of apps on the home screen? I have labels turned off everywhere else and it's annoying me to see labels there. Ironically, I can hide the labels of the apps in the folder, not the folder itself.

What I've done to "fix" this in the past is simply put a space in the name.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

XIII posted:

What I've done to "fix" this in the past is simply put a space in the name.

Well, that's not perfect, but it'll do.

Typing just a space is surprisingly difficult with SwiftKey when you have it set to input the next prediction when you hit the space bar!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thermopyle posted:

Hey, Circa is coming back!

Sounds like the new owners are making some changes, but hopefully its still awesome.

Excellent news!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Google Authenticator just updated to a material design aesthetic. :aaaaa:

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

The Dark One posted:

Google Authenticator just updated to a material design aesthetic. :aaaaa:

And there's already a review complaining about it being bright and colorful and bring back dark holo dammit! :argh:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Uthor posted:

Well, that's not perfect, but it'll do.

Typing just a space is surprisingly difficult with SwiftKey when you have it set to input the next prediction when you hit the space bar!

Haha, I have it set to the same thing, so I know your pain

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

hooah posted:

Excellent news!

Well, I'm hoping it has excellent news, it always did in the past. :downs:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I've been using Podcast Addict since it came up in the thread whenever that was. I like it ok, but I have a question if anyone would be able to answer: I listen to My Brother, My Brother and Me, and I've listened to every episode. Sometimes I like to go back and listen to random old episodes. Pocket Casts will show downloaded episodes at the top of the list, is there a way to get PA to do that? I sometimes randomly scroll through the list and will download whatever, but to play them I have to scroll through the list and try to find them again. It seems like it would be an option, but the actual options are a little overwhelming. There's a "playlist" type thing if I swipe from left to right while listening to a show, but I can't figure out how to actually get episodes on there--some seem to show up, others don't show up and I don't know why.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
If I am reading what you want is correct you basically want to have the podcast episodes be sorted by if you have downloaded?

When you are at the episode list for that specific podcast click the upper right vertical 3 dots and use sort by download date. It would list all the episodes you have downloaded.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I remember people posting that they had problems getting Google Maps/Now to recognize their home address as their, well, home address.

Android Police has an article telling how to manually assign any coordinates as your home or work address.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Widgetlocker isn't letting me edit wigets on it with my new phone.

What is a good locker app like that? I like my phone not being able to have the lock screen setting able to be change at any time

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

verbal enema posted:

I like my phone not being able to have the lock screen setting able to be change at any time

...What?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

verbal enema posted:

Widgetlocker isn't letting me edit wigets on it with my new phone.

What is a good locker app like that? I like my phone not being able to have the lock screen setting able to be change at any time

Good username/post combo

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Widgetlocker had edit and idk I guess function mode. Only in edit could you open settings and mess with stuff. A lot of lockers I've tried allow to change the settings even when your phone is "locked"

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Gilok posted:

Good username/post combo

same at you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Well, I just got a notification that LinkedIn is "retiring" Pulse on December 31st. gently caress. Can anyone here suggest another newsreader app that has a similar flow?