Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

JT Smiley posted:

No, seriously guys there's TONS of talk in this thread about the ending of season 2. Mostly about the epilogue, but still.

We hold back.

*I* do I know that.

The best part about the hopes and dreams stopping Malo Myotismon?

All it does is give Davis ANOTHER loving POWER UP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It’s Time To Finally Admit ‘Digimon’ Is Better Than ‘Pokémon’
Fifteen years later, "Digimon" is still the better show. #SorryNotSorry

I don't know what is more amusing, the fact it keeps dragging the conflict between the Pokemon and Digimon fandoms or that is something published by MTV :v:

i got in a fight with a friend cause he thought digimon was better, and then tamers came out and it turned out he was right after all

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Just finished a full rewatch of Tamers. That was indeed the good poo poo. First time I'd watched it properly since it originally aired.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

Just finished a full rewatch of Tamers. That was indeed the good poo poo. First time I'd watched it properly since it originally aired.

The dub was SO GOOD too. I'm shocked at how faithful they got to stay to the source material.

Mind you the season 1 dub got away with a *LOT* of poo poo that wouldn't fly even today- divorce, being adopted, people smoking, Myotismon attacking regular humans and drinking their blood

But season 3 cuts all of the chaff that season 1 some times got, notably what they did with Apocalymon, and just presented things as straight forward as possible.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Tamers dub makes plenty of its own mistakes. There's the over reliance on lull destruction, making Renamon and Ruki more chatty than they actually are, they make their own problems by changing Leomon's final words to something that conflicts with the later flashbacks to it, and most damningly, the way they completely change Jian's reaction to Jianyu's pleading for forgiveness to accepting it to him denying it.

The Digimon dubs are, overall, a relic of another age best forgotten.

EDIT - To 02's ending's credit, I think it does more to make Vamdemon an actual CHARACTER. In season 1, he's your typical evil, generic overlord, but in 02, he actually has a PLAN and affects characters lives beyond literally kicking the dog (and then later said dog's boyfriend). Him using Tailmon's Holy Ring as a basis for the Evil Rings is a small, but interesting bit of characterization beyond "the evil cackling villain who kills his minions and leers menacingly."

The fight, however, is a massive anticlimax, but then, that was a problem with VenomVamdemon too.

As for Daisuke, I honestly think people are too hard on him. The gogglehead WILL inevitably get more powerups than the rest of the cast, but all 02's ending does is... strengthen an attack already in Imperialdramon's roster. I don't see the issue at all.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 8, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

Mind you the season 1 dub got away with a *LOT* of poo poo that wouldn't fly even today- divorce, being adopted, people smoking, Myotismon attacking regular humans and drinking their blood

People being adopted is a dub no-no?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

The Tamers dub makes plenty of its own mistakes. There's the over reliance on lull destruction, making Renamon and Ruki more chatty than they actually are, they make their own problems by changing Leomon's final words to something that conflicts with the later flashbacks to it, and most damningly, the way they completely change Jian's reaction to Jianyu's pleading for forgiveness to accepting it to him denying it.

The Digimon dubs are, overall, a relic of another age best forgotten.

Nope you don't get to say a thing about the Tamers dub.

You hosed up real bad when it came to Guilmon earlier, you have no idea what you're talking about.

But seriously, they may have had some issues but they're fine. Especially when most of what you just said is purely subjective.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

People being adopted is a dub no-no?

Not really a dub no-no, it's more of a 'never happens in American Cartoons' no no.

At least not with the depth that was done with Izzy, and most certainly not in the 90s.

Cartoons might have gotten better since then about exploring relatively deep and personal issues like that, but I kind of doubt it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

Nope you don't get to say a thing about the Tamers dub.

You hosed up real bad when it came to Guilmon earlier, you have no idea what you're talking about.

But seriously, they may have had some issues but they're fine. Especially when most of what you just said is purely subjective.

what in lord's name are you talking about?

Also, subjective? How is it a subjective matter that Ruki and Renamon are more talkative and sarcastic than their original counterparts? Just watch the original version of that final scene of Jian and his father; it's a FACT that they're wildly different.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

We hold back.

*I* do I know that.

The best part about the hopes and dreams stopping Malo Myotismon?

All it does is give Davis ANOTHER loving POWER UP

Well, in the end it's only powering up a move Imperialdramon FM already has (but never uses until that point because...reasons, I guess?). It's far better than the poo poo Hunters pulls off with every previous gogglesboy being turned into nothing but a power-up for him.

But then again, even 02 looks good when compared to the terrible thing that was Hunters.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
if jian is henry i approve of him going "gently caress you dad" instead of pretending like not telling him what was gonna happen was cool

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It may be what those of us would do, but I don't agree that it's something Jian would do.

Never in a million years.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
people who so consistently and actively refuse to use english-version names of Things set my teeth on edge because they are INVARIABLY exactly like this guy right here.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

It may be what those of us would do, but I don't agree that it's something Jian would do.

Never in a million years.

i think part of growing up is realizing your parents are fallible, and so i consider the scene character development, but hey if you like henry to still be "oh that's okay" to the guy who (for all he knew) just permanently shut him off from seeing his friend ever again that's cool

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I would also say he's not wrong on the Leomon thing being a gently caress up. The whole big reason for Juri's descent into depression was Leomon considering his death another part of destiny. And the dub did have to become inconsistent in what he actually said to still get the point across. I mean, don't get me wrong, for its time, the Tamers dub could have done a gently caress load worse and it covers a lot of things that other companies I could name wouldn't touch. But it's not like it's perfect either.

It has its problems, but that's fine because things are allowed to have problems.

DoctorWhat posted:

people who so consistently and actively refuse to use english-version names of Things set my teeth on edge because they are INVARIABLY exactly like this guy right here.

In my defense, I'm much more used to the japanese names than the english names the only thing I insist with is hating anyone who calls Adventure "01" since it misses why 02 is CALLED 02.

mandatory lesbian posted:

i think part of growing up is realizing your parents are fallible, and so i consider the scene character development, but hey if you like henry to still be "oh that's okay" to the guy who (for all he knew) just permanently shut him off from seeing his friend ever again that's cool

Yeah but Jenrya's entire development is "I am going to stop running away from what I have to do because I don't like the results of it." with fighting as its focus. So it makes far more sense to forgive his father, because his development is all about making that rough decision you don't like.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 8, 2015

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I could use the American names for Digimon, but then, I don't know what I'd call half of them because they can never keep that poo poo straight.

People who are puritanical about the dub names are just the inverse of what you're complaining about.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

what in lord's name are you talking about?

Also, subjective? How is it a subjective matter that Ruki and Renamon are more talkative and sarcastic than their original counterparts? Just watch the original version of that final scene of Jian and his father; it's a FACT that they're wildly different.

Earlier in this thread you talked about how the Japanese version was superior because Guilmon kept the same voice through out all of his evolutions

DESPITE THE FACT that Tamers is one of the ONLY seasons where they do the exact same thing. All of the Digimon keep the same voice for all of their evolutions. Because you barely remember Tamers and just wanted to bad mouth how it did Guilmon compared to how the original did.

Except maybe Megidramon, I forget if his incoherent growlings were Guilmon or not.

And you completely miss my point about what is subjective- change does not mean that it is bad. I love the personality Rika and Renamon have in the dub, as well as the others.

And it is a far more mature thing to be honest with some one who has lied and betrayed you- No that's not okay, no I do not forgive you. Maybe in time, but now? In the heat of the moment?

No.

If that's a deal breaker for you I'm sorry, but I prefer the dub.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I hope someone does a dramatic reading of this thread at some point.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Pastrymancy posted:

I hope someone does a dramatic reading of this thread at some point.

The whole thread or just the last couple of pages?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

Earlier in this thread you talked about how the Japanese version was superior because Guilmon kept the same voice through out all of his evolutions

DESPITE THE FACT that Tamers is one of the ONLY seasons where they do the exact same thing. All of the Digimon keep the same voice for all of their evolutions. Because you barely remember Tamers and just wanted to bad mouth how it did Guilmon compared to how the original did.

Except maybe Megidramon, I forget if his incoherent growlings were Guilmon or not.

And you completely miss my point about what is subjective- change does not mean that it is bad. I love the personality Rika and Renamon have in the dub, as well as the others.

And it is a far more mature thing to be honest with some one who has lied and betrayed you- No that's not okay, no I do not forgive you. Maybe in time, but now? In the heat of the moment?

No.

If that's a deal breaker for you I'm sorry, but I prefer the dub.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3690531&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=39#post453194867

Are you talking about this or something else? Because that's with another person. Seriously, I have no idea what the hell you're going on about. If I made a slip, I'll own up to it, but I have legitimately no idea what you're talking about, and I don't see why what's there gives you the right to tell me what I can or can't say on various subjects.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3690531&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=39#post453194867

Are you talking about this or something else? Because that's with another person. Seriously, I have no idea what the hell you're going on about. If I made a slip, I'll own up to it, but I have legitimately no idea what you're talking about, and I don't see why what's there gives you the right to tell me what I can or can't say on various subjects.

So I did misremember who said that.

I'm sorry about that! Must be more tired than I thought.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Buncha fuckin nerds itt

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Buncha fuckin nerds itt

People are unironically making the argument that the dub didn't remain faithful to the original making it trash. Lol

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The US version isn't just an arguably poor adaptation, it's an inconsistent mess that can't even bother to be consistent in the same series most of the time.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Buncha fuckin nerds itt

Well I mean Izzy was the coolest character

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

TFRazorsaw posted:

The US version isn't just an arguably poor adaptation, it's an inconsistent mess that can't even bother to be consistent in the same series most of the time.
This is not a hill worth dying on.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
According to Bandai there are 1183 Digimons

That is a lot. :stare:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

And yet people still bitch about how there's too many Pokemon. :v:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dexie posted:

And yet people still bitch about how there's too many Pokemon. :v:

To be fair

You don't have to catch all the Digimon

that is still a lot what the gently caress

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

And don't forget all the recolors.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Rudoku posted:

And don't forget all the recolors.
From now on I'm referring to all the recolors as shinies (IE, Vegiemon and Shiny Vegiemon).

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Twiddy posted:

From now on I'm referring to all the recolors as shinies (IE, Vegiemon and Shiny Vegiemon).

ToyAgumon, hell regular Agumon, has like 4 shinies to itself.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If it's 2015 and you're still mad that Saban tried to de-culture Japanese media properties in the 90s, and you're arguing for script purity, keep in mind that using the Japanese names for everything just ensures that nobody has a clue what's being said if they only watched the dub years ago. (That is a lot of people since going back and rewatching old licensed shows in the original Japanese is a niche hobby even among anime fans.)

That's particularly true among the Digimon, because I think their new names are also used in TCG and video games and so on.

Normal people could agree that renaming Daisuke to Davis was dumb and lazy compared to their usual effort, but still, most Pokemon fans were able to accept their shows naming adjustment even when they resorted to pun names.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

JT Smiley posted:

After discovering this thread the other day and reading through most of the pages I'm shocked that no one's touched on the worst part of season 2. They defeated the main villain by saying their hopes and dreams! What a lame way to end an already lame season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdbt9GpGvCk

Davis beats the bad guy because he has no fears, third dimension or any sort of interesting aspect to himself beyond being a flat cartoon basically.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I tend to use dub names because that's what I grew up hearing, but I also have a strong memory for the Japanese names, at least up through Tamers, because of communities I lurked around at that had a very strict NO DUB NAME policy which was stupid.

I tried getting into the online Digimon community by the time Tamers was on the air, as I simply didn't have a computer that could get on the internet until that point at home.

One of the first websites I found was one with an inconspicuous name that sounded totally innocent and promoted fan art!

That was a terrible mistake and made me hate fandoms for....well I still hate fandoms.

I am not sharing that website's name though I'm sure some of the more broken among you might be able to guess which it was, because the loving thing is *STILL AROUND*

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not calling these characters anything other than what I think they should be called.

Pokemon is also a pretty different case because 1) The localization was relatively competent and thorough across multiple media (outside of 4Kids' efforts of course), 2) It's set in a bloody fantasy world and not one that is reasonably ours, 3) One that keeps all these different names straight and doesn't give us jive like a Digimon being called Creepymon in one source and Daemon in another.

"Digimon Fusion" renders the franchise's mascot's name as bloody Augumon for christ's sakes.

Is some bloody consistency too much to ask for? If no one knows what character I'm talking about, I'm not gonna bite anyone's head off. I'll gladly clarify but honestly, most of them are extremely easy to tell which is which by context.

As for debating the merits of whether or not the show is a good dub or not, this is a Digimon THREAD. For better or worse, the dub is like an entirely different show in some respects due to how it treats characters, especially in Adventure. I think that has merit worth discussing when the topic arises.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm so glad we barely had this kind of issues with the latinamerican dub. Although is funny that we got "Demon" and "SkullSatanmon" but they still changed Paildramon and Omegamon names.

I have to admit, I like Omnimon better :v:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm so glad we barely had this kind of issues with the latinamerican dub. Although is funny that we got "Demon" and "SkullSatanmon" but they still changed Paildramon and Omegamon names.

I have to admit, I like Omnimon better :v:

Well I imagine that big protagonist names are absolutely changed to better fit international marketing, like if a store imports an american Omnimon toy you don't want kids going "isn't it omegamon? ...is this one of the pirated toys like Juice Tits League with Batman, Spider-man and Neo?" while smaller villains that have little impact in the overall story and will never get their own toys can have whichever name sounds cool.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

TFRazorsaw posted:

Pokemon is also a pretty different case because 1) The localization was relatively competent and thorough across multiple media (outside of 4Kids' efforts of course), 2) It's set in a bloody fantasy world and not one that is reasonably ours
I already reached that age where calling your bad guys Jesse and James was eye-rolling cringe, but renaming a guy from Yamato to Matt seemed to strike a balance of being both relatable to western audiences while also being a nod to the source.

I mean, it's almost expected that when an anime appears on Saturday morning (or appeared, since Saturday morning as a concept is dating myself) that the characters are going to be adjusted so seven year olds feel like they're from YourTown USA if the script allows the editors to get away with it.

In the case of Adventure, I always felt like the producers were just as shocked as I was that the kids got to go back home as soon as they did, with as much detail as there was. At the start, they couldn't be trying any harder to westernize the characters than if they added jokes about AOL discs and missing New York traffic. And then suddenly the source throws them in Tokyo and the producers are left stammering and changing plans.

In the case of the Digimons's names, I think Pokemon was designed for western adaption for the start, whereas Digimon did the whole "we can't reference demons and devils in a country that is so serious about it's Christian activism" thing that a lot of imported games used to. Regardless of what you think about that kind of regional name-switch, people in western regions are going to know them by what they're called in western adaptions, ESPECIALLY if they never relented and retconned the names back for global consistency.

[Phone posting is a bitch]

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yet the funny thing is, at least for the first season (the second season I guess the Dub just didn't give a poo poo) they out right stated that Matt wasn't his real name, and instead that the more western names were all Nicknames.

I remember liking that as a kid, mostly because I was a fan of Godzilla movies.

Like I THINK everyone's real names were listed in the first episode except for Kari (which...isn't an English name I think?) except...maybe Joe.