Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Gerund posted:

Diane Sawyer's stepdaughter again failing upwards.

Is there something wrong with Rachel Nichols?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Women can't understand the power of competition and sports.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Gerund posted:

Diane Sawyer's stepdaughter again failing upwards.

Diane Sawyer controls the media.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

whoa, let's back off the anti-sawyitism

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

whoa, let's back off the anti-sawyitism

:cripes:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Pat Dooley
‏@pat_dooley
Today is always the most bittersweet day of the year. My daughter Jenny was born same day John Lennon was shot. Never know how to feel.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Be more happy about your daughter, dipshit.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Henchman of Santa posted:

Pat Dooley
‏@pat_dooley
Today is always the most bittersweet day of the year. My daughter Jenny was born same day John Lennon was shot. Never know how to feel.

Hahahaha no loving way

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pat Dooley
‏@pat_dooley

holy shiiiiiiiit :stare:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
And his avi is has his daughter right in the middle!

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
"Dad, why didn't you come to my birthday party?"
"JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. HOW CAN WE CELEBRATE?"

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

You almost hope he's autistic.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Anals of History posted:

You almost hope he's autistic.

She

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Makes sense if Lennon was the father imo.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

C. Everett Koop posted:

Makes sense if Lennon was the father imo.

In that case he would have been equally involved in her life even if he wasn't shot.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Dan Shaughnessy won the Spink Award from the BBWAA :laffo:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Groucho Marxist posted:

:sigh: what a joke.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Did you know Jim Rome had a show on Showtime for the last 3 years? Me neither! Also it's been canceled

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Groucho Marxist posted:

Lmao.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Presented without comment, a 332-word sentence courtesy of Deadspin's Billy Haisley:

quote:

These rules, as so coherently laid out above, will certainly help grow the league by facilitating the introduction of new players of a higher quality, being as their salaries will be higher than what is currently allowed by the salary cap, and while a cynic may ask why they don’t simply open the market up and either greatly expand the existing cap or get rid of it all together, which would negate the need for these overlong and partially misleading rules (all of this is money can be used, it doesn’t have to be, and as evidenced by the existing Designated Player and TAM rules which are utilized to vastly different degrees from team to team now, there’s no reason to expect each team to actually “invest” these funds to the maximum allotted levels) and then answer his own question by pointing out how the money, if unused, eventually reverts back to “the league” a.k.a. the various franchise owners as a whole who themselves share ownership of MLS, rendering that $37 million figure if not wholly illusory then at least highly speculative and exaggerated, and subsequently posit that the real goal of the ever-changing rule book is to continually obfuscate the processes that allegedly constrain the centrally controlled league’s behavior, adding in clause after technicality after loophole until no one really knows why moves happen the way they do and no one can complain when, say, Clint Dempsey lands exactly where the league office wants him, or when that same club can now offer a salary high enough to sign a potential star homegrown player, like Stanford’s Jordan Morris, to ensure that their preferred markets stay competitive without ever facing the market pressures of any of the other top leagues they keep promising to contend with Very Soon Now, Just You Wait, that would entail specious reasoning that, if included in one big string of words, would be no more clear or concise than the rules he so cynically sought to lambaste.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Christ he is awful.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Pat Dooley
‏@pat_dooley

This is especially funny to me because not only does my dad, who is a huge huge huge Beatles fan, have a December 8th birthday, but December 8th 1993 was the day the doctors at the hospital told my parents that I would be profoundly deaf from meningitis. Somehow he's never had a problem celebrating his birthday.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Criminal Minded posted:

This is especially funny to me because not only does my dad, who is a huge huge huge Beatles fan, have a December 8th birthday, but December 8th 1993 was the day the doctors at the hospital told my parents that I would be profoundly deaf from meningitis. Somehow he's never had a problem celebrating his birthday.
Some people just remain traumatized by the death of John Lennon. On December 8th two years ago while driving through Iowa on the way to visit some friends in Kansas City there was a guy on Iowa Public Radio replaying his broadcast from the night Lennon was shot. When the station cut back to him in real time he sounded like he was about to start weeping on the air.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Why does that Haisley dude have such a bug up his butt about MLS? Wasn't he the guy who posted a big whine about how he just can't understand why people would rather root for a team near them rather than some European club thousands of miles away?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

zakharov posted:

Why does that Haisley dude have such a bug up his butt about MLS? Wasn't he the guy who posted a big whine about how he just can't understand why people would rather root for a team near them rather than some European club thousands of miles away?

He literally has nothing else to write about. Not counting the quick paragraphs that go with highlights from the Premier League, he doesn't write about anything else on deadspin. He posted the big whine piece on MLS years after even the most ardent MLS fans already knew the league was a mess.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

zakharov posted:

:spergin: :bravo: :spergin: :butt:

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Why is deadspin always like 60% soccer articles on every page.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What's a good alternative to ESPN for schedules/realtime scores?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Josh Lyman posted:

I just use google's interface. Just type "NBA" or "NFL" or whatever into google.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Josh Lyman posted:

Yahoo sports, while one of the ugliest websites out there, has the best schedule and score system anywhere, and the app is the best

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bill Simmons really really likes Kate Nolan. A lot.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

euphronius posted:

Bill Simmons really really likes Kate Nolan. A lot.

so Bill Simmons is normal?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Everyone should like Katie Nolan, but i wouldn't be shocked if he liked her to a creepy degree

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Katie Nolan rules

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

DJExile posted:

Everyone should like Katie Nolan, but i wouldn't be shocked if he liked her to a creepy degree

There's this and he no doubt wants in on the ground floor so if she ever takes off he can brag about it forever

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ElwoodCuse posted:

There's this and he no doubt wants in on the ground floor so if she ever takes off he can brag about it forever

He already kinda was and does. But yeah Katie Nolan is awesome and him tweeting/podcasting about her gets her more exposure so whatever.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

ElwoodCuse posted:

She got her show as a direct result of Bill Simmons trying to hire her away from Fox to work on Grantland/

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
It doesn't hurt she's a Boston fan.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
My favorite part of the podcast was right at the beginning when she busted his balls for adopting L.A. sports as she (or anyone else) drat well should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

Isn't Simmons married?