Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Elucidarius posted:

The way I've always looked at their albums is they mix one other genre with their distinct Sleigh Bells sound. This one just seems to be Sleigh Bells + Pop.

I'd be interested in hearing what you thought the genres for their other albums were. Bitter Rivals is probably my favorite of the three previous ones, but Comeback Kid is my favorite song of theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Erg posted:

I'd be interested in hearing what you thought the genres for their other albums were. Bitter Rivals is probably my favorite of the three previous ones, but Comeback Kid is my favorite song of theirs.

I'd say:
Treats -hip hop/pop
Reign of Terror - metal
Bitter Rivals - rock

It's definitely a tie between Reign of Terror and Bitter Rivals for favorite though. I'm a sucker for metal-esque guitar riffs.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Treats is so good, it sucks that imo they never really made something better than that. I loving love that first album.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Wow best new artist is really lean this year. I'm surprised there's not at least someone who had a little more success like 21 pilots or something.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Treats is so good, it sucks that imo they never really made something better than that. I loving love that first album.

:agreed: I like all their albums but nothing tops Treats.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I really love Treats and it's a shame that each album since then has just been getting progressively softer and blander.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
CRJ upgrading from a 1k to 3k capacity show in NYC :unsmith: http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/00004F88E82F60C2?brand=terminal_5

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Buying tickets to this as soon as they go on sale :allears:

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Stromae has put the official recording of his full concert on Youtube. It's pretty great, guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOZLDQm9c2E

This just convinces me that I have to see him live next time he's in town.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

bowser posted:

Stromae has put the official recording of his full concert on Youtube. It's pretty great, guys.

Proclick. Stromae is so good.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

I love any and all Stromae content, so thanks for that.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Wow best new artist is really lean this year. I'm surprised there's not at least someone who had a little more success like 21 pilots or something.

21 pilots arent really "new.' They've been around a while now

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

bowser posted:

Regret not seeing him a few months back. After seeing some of this, I have to imagine this is crazy good live.

Also, are some of those animations based of some indie games? The giant spider stalking him in the beginning looks exactly like the game Limbo.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wish I spoke French :smith:

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
finally listened to the CRJ album since I didn't quite believe the hype and her past songs turned me off

god drat that is a good album

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

CortezFantastic posted:

finally listened to the CRJ album since I didn't quite believe the hype and her past songs turned me off

god drat that is a good album

I liked a few tracks off Kiss. Tonight I'm Getting Over You is great.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I heard exactly three songs from her, one being the Owl City shitshow and the other being I Really Like You. Considering all three tracks were so sickingly sweet I passed. I was way wrong. I Really Like You is the worst song off this and I am flabbergasted at how they chose that as a first single.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

CortezFantastic posted:

flabbergasted at how

This is pretty much everyone of us in the thread regarding Carly's management. It's an incredibly good album, but there's little that has happened to promote it at all. At this point I'm certain that goons would do better at managing her and promoting her music.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Just to give another opinion, I think I Really Like You is awesome and I probably wouldn't have given Emotion a chance if it hadn't been the first single.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I've only recently discovered the thread. I read the last few pages and I'm struggling to enjoy CRJ's Emotion? It feels solid but unspectacular. I really enjoyed "I Really Like You" and "Call Me Maybe" so I don't get it. I'm giving it another go right now...

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Xtanstic posted:

I've only recently discovered the thread. I read the last few pages and I'm struggling to enjoy CRJ's Emotion? It feels solid but unspectacular. I really enjoyed "I Really Like You" and "Call Me Maybe" so I don't get it. I'm giving it another go right now...

Make sure it's the deluxe or Target edition you're listening to. The standard version is almost an insult of a release when the extra tracks add so much.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Athletic Footjob posted:

Make sure it's the deluxe or Target edition you're listening to. The standard version is almost an insult of a release when the extra tracks add so much.

This is also true for every Britney Spears album.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Emotion is my favorite album in a long, long time. I can't think of another that I'm able to listen to, all the way through, as often as I listen to it, and it hooks me from the first second with that loving awesome Sax right at the beginning of Run Away With Me. My top five played in iTunes are Run Away with Me, Emotion, Your Type, Gimme Love, and I Really Like You, and that doesn't include all the plays of IRLY from before the album came out.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I can't get enough of Warm Blood.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
My favorite recently has been "All That"

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Azran posted:

I can't get enough of Warm Blood.

Yeah. The song's good too!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

That middle run of Making The Most, Your Type, Let's Get Lost gets a lot of play with me. I have no idea how Love Again didn't make this album.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I was going to add to this, but at this point we may as well just post the track listing.

They're all really good.

Holy poo poo that's a good album.

In non CRJ stuff, I've been listening to Queen of the Clouds a lot lately, and it's also really good.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

weekly font posted:

That middle run of Making The Most, Your Type, Let's Get Lost gets a lot of play with me.

Absolutely!

Let's Get Lost should really be a single. Really well done hook.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
3OH!3 released a song called "My Dick". The chorus is "Every time I look at my dick, I'm like, 'holy poo poo that's a big dick'. Every time I look at your dick, I'm like, 'holy poo poo that's a small dick'".

I'm not sure which is worse: the implication that this guy looks at other people's dicks all the time, or the fact that this isn't even the best "my dick is bigger than yours" song I've ever heard.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

3Oh3 still exists?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Yoshifan823 posted:

3OH!3 released a song called "My Dick". The chorus is "Every time I look at my dick, I'm like, 'holy poo poo that's a big dick'. Every time I look at your dick, I'm like, 'holy poo poo that's a small dick'".

I'm not sure which is worse: the implication that this guy looks at other people's dicks all the time, or the fact that this isn't even the best "my dick is bigger than yours" song I've ever heard.

My dick goes to yoga.

Yo dick, fruit roll-up.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I actually discovered that through the (generally excellent) This Week in Pop column that Stereogum has. They try to highlight some of the best pop music of the week, and then one song that should probably not exist. There is also a Simple Plan/Nelly collaboration that was made in the year 2015 (that is not a typo, I did not mean to type 2005, I meant 2015). It is terrible, but doesn't sound like either Simple Plan or Nelly, so it's not even uniquely terrible.

A comparison:

3OH!3 posted:

E-e-e-very time I look at my dick
Dick, dick, dick

Call me on the dog and bone
All you Yanks, that? s a telephone
Here have a look, just have a butcher? s
Northern Manky, cock-muncher
My dick? s bigger than your brother
Pushing 25-stone like your mother
My dick? s bigger than Wales
And your dick? s smaller than a motherfucking snail

Ma bite, mec, ça monte jusqu? à la tour
Ta bite, mec, ça voit même pas le jour
My dick like the Mississippi River
My dick ask your bitch, what? s for dinner?

Every time I look at my dick
I? m like holy poo poo that? s a big dick
And every time I look at your dick
I? m like holy poo poo that? s a small dick

Ya dog, it? s motherfucking Kid Quizine
My dick gets bigger than Mr. Clean
So fresh you could swish it like Listerine
Your dick look like Adam Levine
My dick like Pinocchio nose
I lie and I just watch it grow
I hang low like trunk of Dumbo
While your dick gets small like Frodo

Young Bob Barker in this motherfucker
Price looking right in this motherfucker
Big Dick Clark in this motherfucker
Dick look like a loving Nutter Butter

Got more wood than Barry Bonds
Dick so big, got a car alarm
Dick so big that it bought the farm
Your dick? s like Seth Rogen? s arm

Coming through with a big wang
Doing things bigger than the Big Bang
Your dick don? t got no name
Your bitch call my dick Ving Rhames
Vin-Vin-Ving, Vin-Vin-Ving Rhames
Rhames, Rhames, Rhames

Your dick? s growing mold
My dick shines like gold
Your dick? s like the Pope
My dick don? t get old

Every morning I wake up and cry
It? s too much dick for one guy
But if I donated my poo poo to science
Motherfucker start a riot

Notes: The first verse is in a terrible british accent and then a terrible french accent and then a terrible southern accent, so you lose points for that. Props for the Adam Levine insult, especially with the Listerine rhyme. I dunno why "my dick looks like a nutter butter" is good at all, aren't those generally pretty small? Also, some of the stretches are pretty sad: "I hang low like trunk of Dumbo" is just pathetic, even in a song about how big your dick is.

Mickey Avalon posted:

My dick cost a late night fee
Your dick got the HIV
My dick plays on the double feature screen
Your dick went straight to DVD

My dick - bigger than a bridge
Your dick look like a little kid's
My dick - large like the Chargers, the whole team
Your poo poo look like you fourteen

My dick - locked in a cage, right
Your dick suffer from stage fright
My dick - so hot, it's stolen
Your dick look like Gary Coleman

My dick - pink and big
Your dick stinks like poo poo
My dick got a Caesar do,
Your dick needs a tweezer, dude

My dick is like super size
Your dick look like two fries
My dick - more mass than the Earth
Your dick - half staff, it needs work

My dick - been there done that
Your dick sits there with dunce cap
My dick - V.I.P.
Your poo poo needs I.D.

It's time that we let the world know
Dude, you gotta let your girl go
D.S. is the best in the business
P.S. we got dicks like Jesus

My dick need no introduction
Your dick don't even function
My dick served a whole luncheon
Your dick - it look like a munchkin

My dick - size of a pumpkin
Your dick look like Macaulay Culkin
My dick - good good lovin'
Your dick - good for nothin'

My dick bench pressed 350
Your dick couldn't shoplift at Thrifty
My dick - pretty drat skippy
Your dick - hungry as a hippie

My dick don't fit down the chimney
Your dick is like a kid from the Philippines
My dick is like an M16
Your dick - broken vending machine

My dick parts the seas
Your dick farts and queefs
My dick - rumble in the jungle
Your dick got touched by your uncle

My dick goes to yoga
Your dick - fruit roll -up
My dick - grade -A beef
Your dick - Mayday geek

My dick - sick and dangerous
Your dick - quick and painless
My dick - 'nuff said.
Your dick loves Fred

Notes: I appreciate that this song isn't just about dick size, but about general appearance, cleanliness, and overall ability to use the dick. Your dick apparently stinks, has AIDS, was molested, has unkempt hair, is generally pretty bad at it's job, and is short, skinny, and looks like a 14 year olds, which I think is much more thorough than 3OH!3's repetition of "my dick is bigger than yours", which seems like such a lame insult in comparison. This song is also more likely to stand the test of time, because aside from Gary Coleman and Macauley Culkin references (which in themselves are already old enough to have some staying power), it's pretty universal stuff. We'll always know what someone having a stinky dick means, or how bad it is to have a dick like a munchkin, but it seems like every other line in 3OH!3's song has some sort of cultural reference, half of which I don't think even make sense. Who in 10 years is gonna know anything about Seth Rogan's arm, and why having a dick like it is bad? (Is it hairy? It doesn't seem to be small...). Will Ving Rhames forever be the codeword for "large black man?" Aren't kids already forgetting who Bob Barker and Dick Clark are? I will say that I have no idea who DS is, nor does the song really make me want to find out. I'm pretty sure it's his rap group or something.

Summary: Mickey Avalon, for the first time in his career (I assume, I had a friend try to tell me he was good once and now I don't talk to that friend anymore, for unrelated reasons but still), has a song that is better that someone. 3OH!3, you should be ashamed of yourselves. Well, more ashamed than you already should be for being 3OH!3 and making me have to type your dumb name out like that.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

When you said you knew a better dick song I immediately knew what you meant. That Mickey Avalon song is unironically dope. I am not listening to that 3oh3 thing though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Since I've been hearing "Merry Xmas Everybody" almost every time I've gone into a shop in the past month, I've become increasingly convinced that Slade were actually a really underrated band. Not so fussed on their heavy metal stuff from the 1980s, but their glam stuff in the 1970s was good. Noddy Holder was a great singer.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

The best part of both Glee and Adele's career was the one scene where Santana slapped the poo poo out of Finn after doing a mashup of Someone Like You and Rumor Has It. poo poo's dope.

Yeah, it was definitely one of the best songs of the entire show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Kind of weird to think of how the cast of Glee were nominated for a Grammy. Best New Artist or something?

That's a pretty open-ended Grammy to win. You can take it as an honour for the new artist who's achieved the most in a given year, but then it creates all these expectations on top of that which can be difficult to live up to. You know, you get the sense that "Best New Artist" means "artist we expect to go far" as much as it does "artist who has achieved the most in their first year" and it's in the former category where recipients fall down.

What's the second most wrong-headed Grammy award there's been (the first, of course, being Milli Vanilli)?

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 23, 2015

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's the second most wrong-headed Grammy award there's been (the first, of course, being Milli Vanilli)?

All of them.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Jethro Tull over Metallica is legendary. I don't think there's been another example where the actual genre decision was wrong.

I'm sure there were bigger snubs at the nomination side, but most of those are lost to history and up for debate.

Fake Edit: Good Vibrations didn't get a Record of the Year nom the year it came out. Yesterday didn't win song of the year the same year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wheat Loaf posted:

Kind of weird to think of how the cast of Glee were nominated for a Grammy. Best New Artist or something?

That's a pretty open-ended Grammy to win. You can take it as an honour for the new artist who's achieved the most in a given year, but then it creates all these expectations on top of that which can be difficult to live up to. You know, you get the sense that "Best New Artist" means "artist we expect to go far" as much as it does "artist who has achieved the most in their first year" and it's in the former category where recipients fall down.

Just looking at Best New Artist, you've got Macklemore over Kendrick Lamar, which is just silly. There's Esperanza Spaulding over Bieber, Mumford and Sons, Drake, and Florence + The Machine, which is confusing, though much less offensive. Maroon 5 over Kanye is sad given their respective trajectories. Evanescence won BNA over Fountains of Wayne, which is terrible to me personally, because I think Fountains of Wayne is amazing. 1978-80 was three straight years of kinda sad looking decisions, with starting with Debby Boon over Foreigner, then A Taste of Honey over The Cars and Elvis Costello, and topped off with Rickie Lee Jones over Robin Williams, The Blues Brothers, The Knack, and Dire Straits.

I'd say out of all of those that Mack over Kendrick is still the worst one, but A Taste of Honey, a disco band famous for "Boogie Oogie Oogie" beating The Cars, who had one of the best debut albums ever, and Elvis Costello, is pretty loving absurd as well. It was the peak of Disco, so I understand it, but still, ugh. Hell, Toto was nominated that year, and I'd even be OK with that, because Hold The Line is dope.

edit: It's pretty hard to argue that most of the Record of the Year choices are egregiously wrong, but Lionel Richie winning over Born in the USA, Purple Rain, Tina Turner, and Cindy Lauper's best album is pretty loving egregious.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 23, 2015