Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cash Considerations finally involved in a trade :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
The scouts seem to think my guy has a good outfield arm despite having a non-existent infield arm. Same with range.

Also he put on 5 pounds, continues to hit balls and is still projected to do well so here's hoping!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

What algorithm is the ootp default scout jesus

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ZenVulgarity posted:

What algorithm is the ootp default scout jesus

potential = rand() % 80 + 20;

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Inspector_666 posted:

potential = rand() % 80 + 20;

The sad part is even though it looks like a joke, I can totally believe it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Oh snap, looks like Mangles made it up to Colorado. Coors is a great bunter's park.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
On one hand I'm glad Bukowski is skyrocketing in potential but on the other hand he's listening to coaches which is not how his family raised him.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

On one hand I'm glad Bukowski is skyrocketing in potential but on the other hand he's listening to coaches which is not how his family raised him.

Well then, shall I edit out his secondary pitch to preserve his mission of throwing the meanest fastball in baseball (straight down the middle)?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

JosefStalinator posted:

Well then, shall I edit out his secondary pitch to preserve his mission of throwing the meanest fastball in baseball (straight down the middle)?

Much like you told me last time, young Bukowski is finding his own way through the world.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
The big man himself spends another season in rookie ball. Not looking too good right now.

SAMB0
Jul 9, 2004

Space Bear.
Destroyer of Worlds.
Black Sambo needs to hustle a little bit harder to get out of Short A lord.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

ZenVulgarity posted:

He's an elite defender with no power!

KEEP HIM AT FIRST BASE

You're literally Daric Barton

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

Oh snap, looks like Mangles made it up to Colorado. Coors is a great bunter's park.

Oh, never mind I have no idea how to read that. Is ML an independent league?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

Oh, never mind I have no idea how to read that. Is ML an independent league?

ML is major league, so your dude is currently on the Rockies roster. We'll see if he actually starts the season there (unlikely, but a callup mid to late season is more likely).

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Is there anyway to make my guy fatter? I can't picture a 5'11 180 lbs dude throwing 100 mph heat

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Doltos posted:

Is there anyway to make my guy fatter? I can't picture a 5'11 180 lbs dude throwing 100 mph heat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0ht5A9Q1HY

Auk14HP
Dec 12, 2005

Screw this crap I've had it, I ain't no Mr. Cool
Don't suppose you'd take just one more new player for the upcoming season? :(

I just found this thread and I love OOTP.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
2019 Season

The 2019 season is underway! We've finally got a goon in the majors, and as it stands Chuck Johnson is looking to be the starting first baseman on the Colorado Rockies. That's the most dinger-centric position in baseball, so you better perform, Chuck.

We will also (hopefully) see the last goons drafted: Jackson McGee, last year's first round pick, and Ex Odor, who is looking for a better draft position (probably).

2019 Opening Day Situation

Lots of movement, and some big promotions. First off Chuck Johnson receives another first, making the first goon start on opening day, going 0 for 4 with a strikeout and starting at first base (batting 8th).

Second, Krusty "C" Unts also makes the opening day roster, but does not start, as he's currently serving as a bench player and backup outfielder. This counts toward your major league service however, and you're likely to get some pinch hit at bats (especially in the NL) and will definitely come in if Jorge Soler or other OF's get hurt. He's 3rd on the pinch hit priority list (2nd against LHP).

Otherwise we see some players rise and others fall. The next season or two will start to show who is major league ready and who is a hopeless cause. I wish you all the best, but you are slaves to the random number generators!

You'll also notice that Yost "Grit" Bot was released by Tampa Bay. This is most distressing, and hopefully only temporary, as he isn't so useless to merit complete abandonment.

2019 Amateur Draft

Only two goons this time, SS Jackson "Sweetfeet" McGee and 2B Ex Odor.

1.1 SS Jackson "Sweetfeet" McGee - Austin Ed Sox
3.2 2B Ex Odor - San Diego Padres

Nothing shocking, as Sweetfeet McGee is again drafted first overall, this time by Austin. This is good news for his MLB future, as Austin is hot garbage, and currently have absolutely no one in front of him. He could be their first franchise player - that or Cupid Titcomb, who's a bit further up in the organization.

Ex Odor improves his draft position by 20 picks, and probably more if you compare working for Jeffrey Loria to basically any other team. Will he be satisfied enough to sign this time?

2019 Amateur Draft Results and Signing
1.1 SS Jackson "Sweetfeet" McGee - Austin Ed Sox Signed $5,280,000
3.2 2B Ex Odor - San Diego Padres Signed $420,000 :420:

McGee takes a modest 5.2 million bonus with the Ed Sox, and it may be no coincidence that it's small. The Ed Sox have a very small budget being an expansion team, and probably couldn't offer much more than that. Fearing another lost season, McGee was wise to sign.

Ex Odor also signs, demanding exactly $420,000 and playing in California. Given that by 2019 California will likely have legalized weed, it's no coincidence. There's a reason he's an ex Odor, and not playing alongside his relatives in Texas and Washington.

It's done! With the two signings, McGee and Odor finish off the amateur goons. You are now all undraftable - from here on out, if you are released by an organization or finish a major league contract, you will become a free agent and need to be offered a contract by a team.

Speaking of, we have movement on the minor league front. Yost Bot finds a new home in the Nationals farm system, but Jan Aina and Carlton Barlton are released by their respective teams. They are a bit lower rated and may not be as able to find a new home, but we'll see.

Some news:

Chuck Johnson was having a really good rookie year, batting a solid .267 with 6 dingers and a fantastic 122 OPS+. Sadly he was felled by an injury, but it's just a hamstring and only a month, so he should come out of it just fine.

Ricky Steves puts on a good show down in the minors, making the news for a 5 hit game!

Zak Harov earns his first award, in this case for being the MVP in the Carolina League's version of the All-Star game. I guess going 2 for 4 is sufficient down there? I do like that he's only batting .214 but has 15 home runs and 52 hits, meaning dingers make up over 28% of hits hits. He's doing it The Right Way(tm).

Our icelandic friend Föstólfur "Iceberg" Eyjafjallajökull may be from a cold nation, but he has a hot temper. He got into a brawl with Mets pitcher Jose Guerrero and was suspended for 2 games. Will more trouble follow?

I should also note that Krusty "C" Unts has now made multiple starts in right field for the Cubs, and is now the second goon to make his MLB appearance. It's particularly interesting that he's managed to make the roster for the following reason:

Both Justin Upton AND Jorge Soler found a way to get themselves injured, both missing 5 weeks to injuries. This paved the way for Krusty to make the starting lineup now batting sixth. He's likely to retain his spot in the outfield even when Upton returns, and it'll be a tough benching once Soler's healthy too. It's always nice when good comes of injuries in the form of discovered talent.

2019 All-Star Rosters

Still mostly familiar names, with Madison Bumgarner finally coming back to be good after two lost seasons. Interesting to see Matt Cain in a Dodger's uniform, and good again as well (and making 28 million a year!?).

Simon MacGregor has a new home, and is now a Houston Astro.

Krusty "C" Unts has the distinction of winning the first goon major league award! It's a relatively small one, but player of the week is an honor nonetheless when you're competing against the best players in the world. Krusty's breakout year continues, and he may even be in the running for rookie of the year.

And dramatically, when Justin Upton comes back from the DL, it is Krusty who retains his spot in the lineup, now batting 4th at cleanup and patrolling left field for the first place Cubs. And he's only realized 29 of his 80 potential :getin:

Art Vandelay wants to be promoted, badly. He's probably done with the rookie leagues, dominating them for player of the week and month. If you're batting .360 you're ready for a promotion.

New Concept is also gunning for a promotion, but he's already in AAA, so next stop is the majors. The main thing stopping him is that the Reds already have a good first baseman in Rowdy "Rowdy" Tellez, who has an OPS+ of 133. New Concept may have to hang out in AAA for a while or hope for a trade/injury to force the Reds' hands. They're not a competitive team, so there's no rush.

Richard "Tiger Blood" Vaughn III had the best pitching performance yet, striking out 16 batters in one game and showing that he's done with the rookie leagues. Expect him to be further up the farm system by next year.

Average "Meh" Kilza decides to stop being average and nets 5 hits in one game, good work!

2019 Regular Season Standings

Cleveland, Chicago, and LA continue their division dominance, but the NL East is the scene of much drama. The Blue Jays were up 5 games over their competition with just two weeks left, but a last minute surge by both the Red Sox and Tampa Bay saw them fall out of contention entirely. The A's also lose the division for the first time since 2014, but still make the wildcard.

Now, what of our goons? Well, September saw some interesting callups:

Harry Callahan, Ammat O'Goku, RD Mangles, Krusty Unts, and New Concept all get promoted in 2019, and all actually make appearances in major league games. In RD Mangles' case it's only one appearance as a defensive replacement in the outfield, but it counts, and all these players have now made their major league debuts. New Concept apparently forced the hand of the reds, and they've called him up as a backup 1B/pinch hitter, with Joey Votto now terrible in his 36 year old season and relegated to the bench.

What's extra cool is that Arizona narrowly made the Wild Card - meaning that in addition to Krusty Unts in the Cubs, we now have Ammat O'Goku and Harry Callahan in the playoff race. Will one of you be the first goon to collect a World Series ring?

You will! :siren: :siren: Congrats Krusty "C" Unts, you're the first to win a ring with the 2019 World Series Champion (and 3-peat) Chicago Cubs! :siren: :siren:

I guess the Cubs were making up for lost time, and have now won 3 World Series in a row. Krusty contributed greatly to the victory, batting cleanup the entire series, and taking part in this beautiful exchange in Game 7:

Longest one, too :smug:. A shame that the Arizona goons couldn't achieve anything, and neither even entered the game, staying on the bench the whole time. Maybe that's why they lost 6-0 to the pirates.

I should note that Tampa Bay was led by Alex Rodriguez to their near WS title. No, not that Alex Rodriguez, Alex A. Rodriguez, the 80/80 rated first baseman from Curacao.

2019 MLB Awards
NL MVP: David Dahl
AL MVP: Mike Trout
NL Cy Young: Jose Fernandez
AL Cy Young: Cody Allen (another reliever? really? 34/34 in saves is fairly impressive I guess)

This will not be the last you see of David Dahl. He's got a 90 rating at center field, plays in Coors Field, led the league with 220 hits, 109 runs scored, 58 doubles, a .354 average, and over 10 WAR. Oh and he steals bases too, at a 38-10 SB-CS rate. This year he won the Golden Glove, Silver Slugger, and MVP. He's the real deal, and will be competing with goons for awards for a while, as he's only 25. At least he won't take Chuck Johnson's job.

2019 Retirements

Big retirements this year. Hanley Ramirez calls it quits after missing an entire season to a torn MCL (typical), and never being the same after. Doug Fister, Adam Lind, and Anibal Sanchez just poop out, suffering from lack of use in their mid-30's. In fact... every single player who retired was 35 except for Adam Lind, who was 36. This is... worrying. What are you doing, OOTP?

I check, and the oldest players in the league are now 40 (Jeremy Affeldt and Michael Cudduyer). The oldest with a team is Josh Hamilton with the Giants at 38. I think OOTP might be aging people a bit too fast. Your clocks are ticking, goons!

2019 Hall of Fame Results

Barry Bonds is oh so close, with two more tries left before he is dropped from the ballot. Maybe 1-2 old fuckers stand in the way of Barrold and the Hall of Fame. It may come down to the last ballot. Curt Schilling may also come down to the wire.

Shocking absolutely no one who has heard of baseball, Derek Jeter makes the Hall of Fame with 86% of ballots cast in his favor. Honestly, I think that's a bit low given the re2pect he deserves.

2020 Opening Day Status

You guys are starting to get called up, so I'm going to start showing major league stats in the future, in addition to your level and potential rating.

I'm also going to do an upload tonight. I'm moving to a different location, so let's hope I don't forget any files, and that the game doesn't freak out when I do so!

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 9, 2015

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Seth Iroth's potential grows again but he's not actually getting any better =\

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Yaya posted:

Seth Iroth's potential grows again but he's not actually getting any better =\

This should be the thread title. But really, another poster pointed out earlier that your overall is growing, it's just that until it reaches a 20 overall relative to the major leagues, you won't see the difference. Almost all of you grew from the raw rookies you started as, but you weren't even on the radar of MLB until your growth reached a certain point.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

The ring feels good. Glad my dude had a breakout year. I think he's pretty much Kyle Schwarber :D

Note: the guy built purely on dingers and bat flips is the current highest rated goon player

e: also, do I have a different player page since my name change? My guy is still displayed as a middling A level guy. Or are those pages meant to be a snapshot in time?

canadianclassic fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 9, 2015

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Yay, I'm a major league ballplayer!

Did Krusty get any ROTY votes?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

canadianclassic posted:

The ring feels good. Glad my dude had a breakout year. I think he's pretty much Kyle Schwarber :D

Note: the guy built purely on dingers and bat flips is the current highest rated goon player

e: also, do I have a different player page since my name change? My guy is still displayed as a middling A level guy. Or are those pages meant to be a snapshot in time?

No it doesn't change - the problem is that I haven't updated the pages in two seasons. It takes hours and I keep forgetting when I go to sleep or go do things, but I'll do a round tonight and it'll be up to date.

Also, it should be noted that OOTP scouts overrate power and defense, and REALLY overrate speed to the point of absurdity. If you're a good defensive player with power and plus plus speed, you'll outrate an elite contact guy with mediocre speed/defense. The teams are actually pretty good at ignoring ratings when they're full of poo poo.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Yay, I'm a major league ballplayer!

Did Krusty get any ROTY votes?

I can only see votes for the top 3 players - and as far as I can tell, he did not :(. Note this for all awards present and future - the OOTP award voters are absolutely poo poo. It's really, really bad. Expect goons to be constantly devestated by terrible votes, and be perennial second place MVP's with 15 WAR because the first place dude had a bunch of dingers.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Raul jumped up to AAA with only a 22 overall! Kind of wish the Rangers weren't a playoff team and got more injured, might have meant he'd have gotten emergency ML time. It'll probably happen next year though.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Houston? drat you, prospect shuffling!

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I've been in rookie ball for four seasons and my player page has no stats since 2017. Is this normal?

ALFbrot fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 9, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

ALFbrot posted:

I've been in rookie ball for four seasons and my player page has no starts since 2017. Is this normal?

The player pages aren't updated:

JosefStalinator posted:

No it doesn't change - the problem is that I haven't updated the pages in two seasons. It takes hours and I keep forgetting when I go to sleep or go do things, but I'll do a round tonight and it'll be up to date.

Though being in R at 24 is kind of disconcerting. Your potential dropped like a loving rock, and I don't think we can just write that off from the scout being poo poo.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

JosefStalinator posted:

Expect goons to be constantly devestated by terrible votes, and be perennial second place MVP's with 15 WAR because the first place dude had a bunch of dingers.

That's a pretty accurate simulation of real life!

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

ALFbrot posted:

I've been in rookie ball for four seasons and my player page has no starts since 2017. Is this normal?

Yeah, three seasons here, I've written off my guy despite still being a 21/74. The Pirates refuse to call all cars, I guess. They must have stockpiled on catcher prospects.

Then again, it's likely misleading scouting. Teams in OOTP from my experience usually won't stash highly drafted prospects in rookie ball for this long without releasing them.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 9, 2015

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The ASG MVP is nice but I'm still in friggin' A-ball. Time to retire and sell insurance.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hell yes AAA! Going places!

Edit: If Harry had power he'd be the best. Still time to learn!

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 9, 2015

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Hit AAA finally but I'm 25, and sitting on all that potential still.

Welp, looks like now or never!

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Man, I was all excited to make a guy who was a complete failure, I even hoped for a career-ending injury before being drafted.

Then I got picked by the Pirates and had star potential and got really into it, which makes it so much worse to watch my guy languish and fail and have his potential drop to 21 as a creaky old man puttering around the rookie leagues.

The crushing disappointment makes it somehow more accurate to the Pirates experience, though, so maybe I'm happy? I don't know how to feel.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Five more pounds and did pretty good in AAA and apparently Joey Votto sucks, it's time to be a major league fat ball-hitter!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Bukowski is a major leaguer :woop:

From last to near first

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Yost Bot nooooo

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Sambo, step up your game. I wanna be turning 4-6-3 DPs with you and Goldy already.

Idiot Wind
Sep 10, 2007

We hope anyone sees you again...
Sud's on fire.... but still in rookie ball :negative:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Idiot Wind posted:

Sud's on fire.... but still in rookie ball :negative:

I think ole Slaps only got promoted to A as a service time reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auk14HP
Dec 12, 2005

Screw this crap I've had it, I ain't no Mr. Cool

Auk14HP posted:

Don't suppose you'd take just one more new player for the upcoming season? :(

I just found this thread and I love OOTP.

I'm assuming from the lack of a response that the answer is "No", then?

• Locked thread