Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Caitlin posted:

I am bad at catching up on pages and was away for a few days but if you still need this information let me know.

Could probably still use that info. I'm thinking it's close to the size of a molex power pin (like an IDE/PATA hard drive uses) so I'm waiting for a connector to show up to test that. Hopefully the outside of the female pins is thin enough to insulate from the other pins. I could fit a 2.1mm barrel over it, and a molex pin fits well in a 2.1mm barrel... it could work. I might have to crimp the pins if it doesn't just fit. A lot of the standalone 5V+12V power supplies I found use a standard molex connector too, so if it works, that should make this easy and modular.

The alternative idea is to find some kind of jumper wire (female to male, or female to female I guess) that fits it, but I have no clue if one exists.

(The reason I'm doing this is because the original power supply is $40+ which is kind of silly for how simple it should be.)

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Keyboard Kid posted:

Could probably still use that info. I'm thinking it's close to the size of a molex power pin (like an IDE/PATA hard drive uses) so I'm waiting for a connector to show up to test that. Hopefully the outside of the female pins is thin enough to insulate from the other pins. I could fit a 2.1mm barrel over it, and a molex pin fits well in a 2.1mm barrel... it could work. I might have to crimp the pins if it doesn't just fit. A lot of the standalone 5V+12V power supplies I found use a standard molex connector too, so if it works, that should make this easy and modular.

The alternative idea is to find some kind of jumper wire (female to male, or female to female I guess) that fits it, but I have no clue if one exists.

I can try to measure it out when I get home, though I'm not sure I have many wires to test in it - at the very least I can get a clear picture with a measuring tape on it. I mean I definitely have an NGCD on top of my PVM.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Neo Turf Masters is love, Neo Turf Masters is life (as is Pulstar)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Did anyone ever put together a list of problem games for the XRGB Mini when it came to resolution switches?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

flyboi posted:

Neo Turf Masters is love, Neo Turf Masters is life (as is Pulstar)

Heads up for anyone with X-treme rigs, the embedded emulator for all of these is tied to monitor refresh rate. So your 144hz monitor speeds them up by over 2x. Took me a minute to troubleshoot that one. Neo Turf Masters is worth the trouble of turning it back down to 60. At least until I get the ROMs running in a better emulator.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Anyhow, yeah, you should probably look at getting a legitimate adapter. Or perhaps make sure that a non-OEM one matches the specifications and pinouts outlined below:

:sigh: I think I'll just hold out for one with all the components and use that one as a backup. All those ports and things are so weird I doubt I'd be able to get a power adapter for cheap.
Thanks for the links and the advice!

fishmech posted:

While I haven't had one in years, I'm pretty sure the video/audio out was standard cables and the power cord was too? Also, while I got no clue if the remotes work, you're going to really want to buy either the official mouse or the official wired gamepad, or both, because both are WAYYYY better to use than the remote thing. And the connector for the wired controller is standard across all the CD-i systems.

I can't stress enough how much suck is involved with the CD-i remotes.

I really don't want to use the remote if I can avoid it. It looks clunky, uncomfortable, and annoying. So I'm with you on that. Thanks too for the info.

Negative Nancies posted:

Don't buy a CD-i, friends. Stay safe.

I'd rather see a goon buy an Amiga CD32 than a CD-i.

Buy a Jaguar instead, at least you can play Tempest 2000 on those.

You could and should buy 3DO and Jag with CD instead of CD-i. Or even an M2, unless the collectors actually have hoarded every single one that was built.

Buy a TurboDuo, there were tons of great games but it got buried by the even more amazing SNES and Genesis at the time.

But they don't have Hotel Mario or Voyeur! How am I even going to play my copy of Laser Lords on those systems?! Or subject my friends to the magic of multi-media on the CDI?
I love the CDI. There, I said it. :colbert:

Edit: If there was a working good emulator for the CDI, I'd just use it instead. But for some reason there's no demand for one!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bel Monte posted:

:sigh: I think I'll just hold out for one with all the components and use that one as a backup. All those ports and things are so weird I doubt I'd be able to get a power adapter for cheap.
Thanks for the links and the advice!

I really don't want to use the remote if I can avoid it. It looks clunky, uncomfortable, and annoying. So I'm with you on that. Thanks too for the info.

But they don't have Hotel Mario or Voyeur! How am I even going to play my copy of Laser Lords on those systems?! Or subject my friends to the magic of multi-media on the CDI?
I love the CDI. There, I said it. :colbert:

Edit: If there was a working good emulator for the CDI, I'd just use it instead. But for some reason there's no demand for one!

MAME/MESS actually has really good cd-i support these days, and "cd-i emulator" (definitely the most creative emulator name) is supposed to be good as well, but costs like 30 bucks so I've never used it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Turbinosamente posted:

Speaking of Doom clones, whatever happened to the Chex one? poo poo what was its full title even? I am kinda disappointed now that I threw out or gave away the CD that came with the cereal. I know a quick google will probably get me the program, but I'm kinda curious if anyone here has the physical disc any more.

CHEX QUEST WAS THE BEST loving GAME YOUR MELEE WAS A SPOON AND YOU UPGRADED IT TO A SPORK

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

fishmech posted:

MAME/MESS actually has really good cd-i support these days, and "cd-i emulator" (definitely the most creative emulator name) is supposed to be good as well, but costs like 30 bucks so I've never used it.

I've checked out the "cd-i emulator" one before, but the website says it hangs on Hotel Mario, and it hasn't been updated in years.
Never heard of MAME/MESS doing cdi emulation. Is it still worked on? Because what little I can find shows that it can do the Zeldas and the Marios, but I'd also like to explore unique titles that aren't as extremely popular. Doubt the support for them is as good. :(

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

TheRedEye posted:

Worth noting that the Wii will spit out the native resolution in pixel-perfect clarity for NES, SNES, Genesis, etc., but not for TG16. You probably won't notice, but I do. It's slightly smeary.

I notice this on every TG-16 game on VC except Bomberman '94. Maybe they improved the emulator by the time that one hit the store.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
...or Bomberman 94 was using a resolution that's easier to emulate cleanly.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Or that. drat old games and their technical weirdness.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I wanna say it was TG16 that had a secret button combo to display in non-interlaced mode or something but it's been so long that I don't remember anymore.

Anyway, to bookend the "don't pay for ROMs in emulators!" conversation: most of the games in the Neo-Geo Humble Bundle are sloppy DotEmu jobs with stolen emulator/BIOS assets and ROMs that were clearly just downloaded from the internet.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Wasn't one of the Bomberman games for the TG16 being used to showcase early HDTV or widescreen televisions?

Edit: I see Hi-Ten Bomberman which seemed to use a custom TG-16 setup and was only for a promotional event.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 9, 2015

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

JediTalentAgent posted:

Wasn't one of the Bomberman games for the TG16 being used to showcase early HDTV or widescreen televisions?

They made a special version called Hi-Ten Bomberman. Hi for hi-def, Ten for ten players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGVJTJSz9Xg

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Discount Viscount posted:

They made a special version called Hi-Ten Bomberman. Hi for hi-def, Ten for ten players.

If there isn't a modern console version of this with online and all, then somebody needs to get on it

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

shyduck posted:

If there isn't a modern console version of this with online and all, then somebody needs to get on it

You can do 8 players on Bomberman Blast/Live/Ultra, although Blast is no longer online and you're limited to 7 local on Ultra, and four local on Live. Oh, and Bomberman DS has 8 player single card local.

But no, haven't reached 10 again since Saturn Bomberman.

I feel like we were just talking about Bomberman here or some other thread. And this one also got brought up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-vhBlbKT04

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

JediTalentAgent posted:

Hi-Ten Bomberman, a ten-player widescreen Bomberman game made for Hudson Soft's Caravan events (from which Caravan Shooters get their name!), in collaboration with the TV broadcaster NHK, who were apparently trying to push the idea of HDTVs in 1993, of all the years.

It used two PC Engines for controller inputs and basic hardware, and a very expensive (roughly $2 million in 1993 dollars!) custom system codenamed "Tetsujin" to handle everything else, along with a 16:9 plasma TV that almost certainly wasn't cheap. All up, only five units were made, and it was never intended for consumer release. An updated version, called Hi-Ten Chara Bomb, was introduced the following year, introducing slightly larger maps and selectable characters from other old Hudson games like Bonk and Milon's Secret Castle. It used the same hardware.

Tetsujin was eventually downgraded for consumer use and adapted down to standard-definition TVs, and became the PC-FX. Many of the gameplay elements in the Hi-Ten games would eventually re-appear in Saturn Bomberman.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The TurboGraphx and its awesome resolution capabilities are so cool. A lot of the vertical shmups have cheat codes you can put in to play them with the screen narrowed to match their arcade counterparts. And some games like Order of the Griffon use mid frame resolution changes so that the status portraits/etc. on the bottom are a higher resolution than the in-game window. The coolest though is how they use this in the Art of Fighting port to create a decent take on the Neo Geo version's scaling when characters get far away from each other. Compare to the SNES ports of Art of Fighting 1 it's like night and day with the SNES one having smaller sprites and the zoom being there but barely and only when characters are very far away from each other. It looks really cool on a real system.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Kins posted:

An updated version, called Hi-Ten Chara Bomb, was introduced the following year, introducing slightly larger maps and selectable characters from other old Hudson games like Bonk and Milon's Secret Castle. It used the same hardware.

So this was a precursor to Saturn Bomberman's 10 player mode? That's awesome. :O

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

Sony's doing their holiday sales this month and while there isn't a lot of retrostuff available this week, it is worth mentioning that you can get The Misadventures of Tron Bonne for $3. That's 98.5% off eBay pricing for the game! :v:

Also, Echo Night is on sale, but I don't think that one will make people run out to spend their money.

And it's still not on the bloody EU/AU PSN store :argh:.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Speaking of the PC Engine, I'm selling an RGB-modded Duo-R system in SA-Mart if anyone is looking for one:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3700837&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post441558215

Also some boxed Famicom and PC Engine CD games:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754940

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Famicom had the best looking game boxes.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Happy Kirby Best Kirby. It's like a hungry idiot god out of a lovecraft story that way.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Bel Monte posted:

I've checked out the "cd-i emulator" one before, but the website says it hangs on Hotel Mario, and it hasn't been updated in years.
Never heard of MAME/MESS doing cdi emulation. Is it still worked on? Because what little I can find shows that it can do the Zeldas and the Marios, but I'd also like to explore unique titles that aren't as extremely popular. Doubt the support for them is as good. :(

I've fiddled with MESS for CD-I, and it's the best out of all the alternatives from what I can tell. Games seem to either work or not work based on factors that I can't work out, and those that do work work fairly well, so I'd just try whatever games you want to try and see how it goes. Not like somebody can be arsed to write up a compatibility list for something like this.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
I finally got all 14 Famicom "Pulse" Label games. Yes, even Donkey Kong Jr and that weird Popeye game that teaches Japanese kids english words in a glorified "Hangman" style game. I'm also only really interested in buying Famicom Disk System games at the moment. Can't wait till these magnetic disks stop working in 10 years, but at least I have Otocky now.

Also I got 3 Neon Genesis Evangelion Sega Saturn games for $1 even though I don't have a saturn, but the covers and discs look cool. :retrogames:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bel Monte posted:

The MESS project has since been fully folded into MAME since the summer, so now the drivers for consoles are treated the same as drivers for arcade systems.

Currently MAME will run Laser Lords which is pretty niche and unique for the system great so long as you disable the CD-i mouse support.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Famicom had the best looking game boxes.

Famicom are good, but SFC are like the same thing but slightly cooler.

SNES boxes were weird. So much 90s attitude.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The PAL SNES boxes were pretty nice and colorful. Not as cool as SFC boxes, but still.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
A guy from my local Retro Gaming group is making NEO GEO consolized MVSes. He's charging $300 for the basically bare board with RGB/Comp out, audio etc. Is this a good deal?

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I wanna say it was TG16 that had a secret button combo to display in non-interlaced mode or something but it's been so long that I don't remember anymore.

Anyway, to bookend the "don't pay for ROMs in emulators!" conversation: most of the games in the Neo-Geo Humble Bundle are sloppy DotEmu jobs with stolen emulator/BIOS assets and ROMs that were clearly just downloaded from the internet.

DotEmu says they licensed the emulators. Could be damage control, of course, and the games are still ROMs.

http://www.dotemu.com/Letter/NeoGeo.html

I still think the Bundle is worth it for the Steam titles: three Metal Slugs and two Kings of Fighters. King of Fighterses. Whatever.

Too bad they didn't wait for the Steam releases of Twinkle Star Sprites and Garou, but it's still a good deal.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Kid Fenris posted:

DotEmu says they licensed the emulators. Could be damage control, of course, and the games are still ROMs.

http://www.dotemu.com/Letter/NeoGeo.html

I still think the Bundle is worth it for the Steam titles: three Metal Slugs and two Kings of Fighters. King of Fighterses. Whatever.

Too bad they didn't wait for the Steam releases of Twinkle Star Sprites and Garou, but it's still a good deal.

I'm hoping they'll do the thing where they tack on the steam keys for those when they come out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah unless you already have them on the PS2 or 360, it'd be insane to not grab King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match and King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match together for $10.

The rest of the games "just being ROMs" didn't really make me hesitate though. SNK get screwed over hard with Metal Slug 3, Garou and KoF 2002 because they were bootlegged and dumped like before location tests were even really starting. It's kind of a miracle we even got SS5 and Special after that and SNK's general financial situation. I mean if I get it on a cartridge it's just a ROM too so whatever, the point is that SNK has allowed these official releases of these awesome games that are now waaaay cheaper than the $10 apiece they go for on the Virtual Console (of the ones that actually got released on that).

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Keyboard Kid posted:

So, this worked.

The molex pins have an alligator clip-like mechanism that bends outward to keep the pin mounted in the plastic connector. You bend those inward to remove them from the connector... and as a result, they now clip onto the Neo Geo CD's pins perfectly.

Next step is to heatshrink all the wires, maybe a few times over to make them thicker and perhaps heatshrink the whole bundle to make it permanent.

I'll update when the power supply comes in.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Discount Viscount posted:

It's oddly comforting to know that anywhere, any time in the world amateur videographers think aimlessly panning and zooming for the length of the video is really cool and professional looking.

Keyboard Kid posted:

So, this worked.

The molex pins have an alligator clip-like mechanism that bends outward to keep the pin mounted in the plastic connector. You bend those inward to remove them from the connector... and as a result, they now clip onto the Neo Geo CD's pins perfectly.

Next step is to heatshrink all the wires, maybe a few times over to make them thicker and perhaps heatshrink the whole bundle to make it permanent.

I'll update when the power supply comes in.

Nice!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Just pulled the trigger on a doujindance duo-r (RGB SCART+region mod) to replace my ancient 1st gen pce+cdrom2 with the old two switch region mod and amiga cable RGB mod that never really worked right. I am hype as hell to finally have working PCE RGB

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SnatchRabbit posted:

A guy from my local Retro Gaming group is making NEO GEO consolized MVSes. He's charging $300 for the basically bare board with RGB/Comp out, audio etc. Is this a good deal?

Would have to see the final product but that is around the average in most cases. Consolizing a MVS involves a bit of wiring, PCB modification (depending on the model of the board) and adding a video encoder to make the MVS work with consumer displays. No idea if the builder here swaps the BIOS on it but some boards don't have a socketed BIOS and that requires even more wiring. Also parts and labor of course.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Neo Rasa posted:

The rest of the games "just being ROMs" didn't really make me hesitate though. SNK get screwed over hard with Metal Slug 3, Garou and KoF 2002 because they were bootlegged and dumped like before location tests were even really starting.

Whoa, really? I know Neo Geo releases were easily and readily dumped and emulated by the early 2000s, but I didn't know things moved that quick.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I remember playing Metal Slug 3 when it first came out in NeoRageX, personally. It's not particularly powerful hardware for a 2000's computer to emulate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I remember when the big MAME debate was whether or not to include KoF '99 and Garou in like, 2001.

• Locked thread