Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Just Cause 3: So that's it, huh? I was expecting a longer game :(

It's a fun game, but it felt uncharacteristically short for an open-world game. I'm glad I can repopulate locations with enemies though.

Oh, and Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate, gently caress your lovely World 5 boss. Turning your boss into a bullet hell mode doesn't suit PJS at all, especially when I don't have any lives so dying puts me back at the start of the level because you don't have ANY checkpoints.

I got tired of your 2 minute cutscene that plays before you fight the boss after the 4th or so try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
i am so behind on pokemon these days. there are so many quality of life improvements from the older gbc games. DexNav keeps track of all the pokemon you've got/encountered in a given area and will tell you when you're close to catching all or have caught all the pokemon in the area. you can even select specific pokemon to encounter in case you trade away one you previously owned.

this is where i think the DexNav should have done more: you can only search for pokemon you already own. if you're trying to get ones that have a lower encounter rate than others, then you'll still have to rely on trial and error to run into them.

also there's this one fish type i was wasting so much time trying to find in a creek until i looked it up. you have to surf underneath a bridge and then fish for it while surfing, but if you're surfing on sharkpedo, you can't use your fishing rod.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Action Tortoise posted:

also there's this one fish type i was wasting so much time trying to find in a creek until i looked it up. you have to surf underneath a bridge and then fish for it while surfing, but if you're surfing on sharkpedo, you can't use your fishing rod.

Is that Feebas? It sounds like Feebas.

He was even worse in the original Hoenn games. He only spawned when fishing into four random tiles in a specific route; not only would those tiles scramble if you did certain things, it wasn't even a guarantee that you'd fish up Feebas if you got one of the right tiles.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Cleretic posted:

He was even worse in the original Hoenn games. He only spawned when fishing into four random tiles in a specific route; not only would those tiles scramble if you did certain things, it wasn't even a guarantee that you'd fish up Feebas if you got one of the right tiles.

yep. i swear the description for it is a developer joke. "it's so common that no one ever captures it."

there was another rare one in the same area where i caught the bananachin pokemon and i had to stumble around the tall grass until the target in the dexnav didn't have the already caught symbol on it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cleretic posted:

Most people had to use gameshark, or some arcane trainer ID bullshit, to get it as far as I remember from the original releases.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Nuebot posted:

Most people had to use gameshark, or some arcane trainer ID bullshit, to get it as far as I remember from the original releases.

The worst part is that Feebas' evolved form, Milotic, is actually pretty good, but not really good. It fills a particular niche better than anything else, so you probably want one, but it's not so tremendously essential that you need one (and as such, people figure out the tricks to catch it faster).

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
i just wanna catch em all, man.:sigh:

also, there's 2 pikachu knockoffs in these games and i'm only guaranteed one in the path below the bike trail but i have to luck into a horde encounter with the other one.

horde encounters were funny the first few times i saw them but they're really tedious because there's no screen clearing moves that can damage multiple pokemon in the same turn.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Yes there are :confused:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

There was actually an article I think was posted somewhere on these forums and I've been trying to find again for a while where a guy documented just how much he spent trying to catch them all back around the original ruby/sapphire releases I think it was. And he spent like well over a thousand dollars on systems, multiple copies of games and travel fees to get to special events for them all.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nuebot posted:

There was actually an article I think was posted somewhere on these forums and I've been trying to find again for a while where a guy documented just how much he spent trying to catch them all back around the original ruby/sapphire releases I think it was. And he spent like well over a thousand dollars on systems, multiple copies of games and travel fees to get to special events for them all.

i'm winding down on the game and i'm probably gonna just power through the rest and not do any post-game capturing. it's been a fun distraction.

V oh, cool. thanks.

Action Tortoise has a new favorite as of 06:16 on Dec 9, 2015

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Action Tortoise posted:

also, there's 2 pikachu knockoffs in these games and i'm only guaranteed one in the path below the bike trail but i have to luck into a horde encounter with the other one.

horde encounters were funny the first few times i saw them but they're really tedious because there's no screen clearing moves that can damage multiple pokemon in the same turn.
Use something like surf to kill the horde, and use Sweet Scent to insta-battle a horde.

I spent two solid months hunting a bird in Pokemon X that only showed up in a horde a tiny percent of the time before finding out about sweet scent.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Ruby WEAPON in any other battle system would be interesting, because in the game proper you could literally win the fight by casting KotR once and going off to make lunch.
Final Fantasy VII Remake Episode 12: the Knights of the Round animation ($14.99)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I just got done with a level in Viscera Cleanup Detail (a game where you're tasked with cleaning up after a FPS hero in military/science bases) in which I did a better-than-100% completion reward for a level. Part of what made the task easy was that the level had bright-red blood stains on grey walls, underneath white/blue UV lighting.

Most of the other levels? The contrast isn't so strong. Green walls with green blood under yellow lighting, brown walls with red blood under orange lighting, blue walls with blue blood under blue lighting... I love the game for being a near-perfect Podcast Game, but christ, sometimes I'll load a level to play for a while only to go :suicide: knowing I'll bungle the task just on not being able to ID what's Clean and what's Not Clean as easily.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

MisterBibs posted:

I just got done with a level in Viscera Cleanup Detail (a game where you're tasked with cleaning up after a FPS hero in military/science bases) in which I did a better-than-100% completion reward for a level. Part of what made the task easy was that the level had bright-red blood stains on grey walls, underneath white/blue UV lighting.

Most of the other levels? The contrast isn't so strong. Green walls with green blood under yellow lighting, brown walls with red blood under orange lighting, blue walls with blue blood under blue lighting... I love the game for being a near-perfect Podcast Game, but christ, sometimes I'll load a level to play for a while only to go :suicide: knowing I'll bungle the task just on not being able to ID what's Clean and what's Not Clean as easily.

Use the Sniffer.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

PubicMice posted:

Use the Sniffer.

I'd kill for that that thing to turn into some sort of black light scanner that makes poo poo glow, because that thing always seems content to sit on "Nothing is wrong" when I go over the entire level, and I still get marked down for missing something.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

I'd kill for that that thing to turn into some sort of black light scanner that makes poo poo glow, because that thing always seems content to sit on "Nothing is wrong" when I go over the entire level, and I still get marked down for missing something.

But killing is what created this mess in the first place!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Just got around to playing The Witcher Hearts of Stone and remembered how there's only 4-5 faces for NPCs. Even relatively important characters (like the innkeeper in White Orchard, or the servant in Vizima) have the same face as Random Peasant Digging In Mud. The Redanian soldiers are especially bad for this. It's like, "wait... Didn't I just convince you to like me/let me through? Oh, you're a completely different person so I have to convince you as well?"

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

MisterBibs posted:

I've never played the game and at the risk of sounding like a jerk.......

Are you complaining that the game is hard, that you are colorblind, or that this "sniffer" doesn't work as intended?

Not trying to be a dick here but I don't see the little thing. It sounds like a fun game.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Beastie posted:

I've never played the game and at the risk of sounding like a jerk.......

Are you complaining that the game is hard, that you are colorblind, or that this "sniffer" doesn't work as intended?

Not trying to be a dick here but I don't see the little thing. It sounds like a fun game.

I'll say I've only played the christmas special but it's a hard game. The level design isn't as thoughtful as it could be and you may end up in a situation where all that stands between you and level completion is a single blood spot at less than half opacity somewhere in the level, and screw you Mr. Player sir, it may be half hidden behind something. All the sniffer does is beep faster or slower depending on how close you are to the dirt.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Somebody really needs to come up with a name for all these physics-based troll games that have popped up in the wake of Surgeon Simulator and Goat Simulator hitting it big.

e. Playing Mad Max, it has one of the most annoying versions of the "climb a tower to unlock the map" things I've encountered in an open-world game. The way it works is that there are hot air balloons tethered at certain spots and you ride them up to survey the area by air. In theory not too bad, and in the beginning once you get to a balloon you can just ride it up no problems, but as the game goes on it becomes a frustrating pain in the rear end because they keep layering a bunch of brain-dead busy work that gets in your way: fetching gas cans to refuel the balloon and/or winch, tracking down the switch to lower the balloon so you can actually climb in it, wasting ammo or backtracking to your car and circling around to break tethers holding the balloon down. And when you finally get the balloon up you have to whip out your binoculars and criss-cross over the wasteland several times in a super zoomed-in camera with a bad unfocused filter over it to manually highlight every point of interest.

By the end of the game they make you bring your own can of gas on the back of your car rather than having any at the balloon site, just to make that much more pointless padding in a game already full of way too much repetitive drudgery.

Sleeveless has a new favorite as of 04:16 on Dec 10, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sleeveless posted:

By the end of the game they make you bring your own can of gas on the back of your car rather than having any at the balloon site, just to make that much more pointless padding in a game already full of way too much repetitive drudgery.

I'm not too far into Mad Max, but I have to agree that the binoculars drag down every visit to a balloon.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Sleeveless posted:

Somebody really needs to come up with a name for all these physics-based troll games that have popped up in the wake of Surgeon Simulator and Goat Simulator hitting it big.

I've heard the genre called "fumblecore", but that is kind of a silly name

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

owl_pellet posted:

"Those dumb games streamers play" but I guess that's too wordy.

Anyway another thing dragging down Transformers Devastation is just how loving long each chapter is. I mean it's great when you're actually playing the stage, but when you're trying to come back to get a good rank it's awful because you want to beat it on every difficulty, right? So even skipping cutscenes it just takes ages to get a good rank on every mission so you can get a good overall rank and if you mess up and only get an S instead of an SS, well do it all again. It would have been nice if you could just skip to the individual missions, which are the only things you're graded on, and cut out the busy work.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah, "Youtube" is practically a game genre of its own right now for all the lovely indy games out there that pander to famous streamers.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Sleeveless posted:

it needs to evoke the same kind of terrible as the word pinteresting

owl_pellet posted:

i'm thinking of that crabcore pose but with someone that has terrible balance.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

owl_pellet posted:

Buttfumble Simulator 2016

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Thin Privilege posted:

Just got around to playing The Witcher Hearts of Stone and remembered how there's only 4-5 faces for NPCs. Even relatively important characters (like the innkeeper in White Orchard, or the servant in Vizima) have the same face as Random Peasant Digging In Mud. The Redanian soldiers are especially bad for this. It's like, "wait... Didn't I just convince you to like me/let me through? Oh, you're a completely different person so I have to convince you as well?"

If you play for a while, you'll notice the same mocapped animations being used for different characters. CDPR cover their tracks very well but you can see where they reused content if you look hard enough.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I bought the Shadowrun collection on Steam a couple of weeks ago because I've been looking for something to hold me over until X-com 2 and it was on sale. I've only played Shadowrun Returns so far, but it bothers me that the mouse button you use to move is the same one you use to fire. It's lead to me running out of cover and right up to an enemy several times. This wouldn't be so bad, since you can save during battles, but loading a game during a battle almost always causes my game to either crash or lockup. It also crashes or locks up about 10% of the time when I try to load a game outside of a battle. The game's alright as an X-com Lite but I'm having a difficult time making myself beat it because of this.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

If you play for a while, you'll notice the same mocapped animations being used for different characters. CDPR cover their tracks very well but you can see where they reused content if you look hard enough.

I like how they got the guy with the creakiest voice in the universe to do a third of the incidental dialogue.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I play a lot of survival games with my friend, most of which are in early access and half of which don't seem like they'll be graduating from early access any time soon but most of them have more dynamic and polished base building mechanics than Fallout 4. :argh:

RillAkBea has a new favorite as of 14:02 on Dec 10, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

RillAkBea posted:

I play a lot of survival games with my friend, most of which are in early access and half of which don't seem like they'll be graduating from early access any time soon but most of them have more dynamic and polished base building mechanics than Fallout 4. :argh:

Semi-related, I wouldn't too much mind the finickiness of building up settlements in Fallout 4 if the materials tagging wasn't so vague and unhelpful when you're out in the field.

Okay, so I've tagged adhesives, screws, oil and nuclear materials, great. But now I've found an item that's tagged for at least one of them, I have no idea which, and I've also got no idea why I've tagged for that item. I guess I'm supposed to keep track myself, but I'm looking for materials to build up six separate pieces of power armor, five pieces of regular armor, and however many weapons I've got in regular rotation (which I think is about six at this point), each of those having at least two separate sections to upgrade. And that's not even counting whatever I was doing in settlements that I've now most definitely forgotten.So now I'm looking at a used oil can and an alarm clock, trying to figure out which of the twenty-something upgrades I was planning that these are supposed to be used for. Or maybe that material was tagged for an item I've already made, and the game didn't clear it, because why the gently caress would it.

Oh well, at least I can ignore settlements thanks to the fact that the game prevents anyone who isn't Charisma-focused from making use of anything you'd actually want to build.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 14:24 on Dec 10, 2015

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm not too far into Mad Max, but I have to agree that the binoculars drag down every visit to a balloon.

If you could switch in and out binocular view quickly it wouldn't be bad, pausing every time to show the world map when you put the binoculars away really slows it down.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Oh well, at least I can ignore settlements thanks to the fact that the game prevents anyone who isn't Charisma-focused from making use of anything you'd actually want to build.

A lot of things are really awful with the settlements and crafting in general. Like the materials. Why is it that I can get an entire desk fan and only get one or two screws? Steel and plastic are materials! Meanwhile there doesn't seem to ever be any reason to build much of a settlement. Just slap some turrets down, pile some beds in a corner and give them a water pump and they'll be happy as long as you don't give them any electronic devices because for some reason entertainment makes them miserable. It's not even like they had to make the crafting and settlers deep or anything, but they just sort of mill around like the blank dummy bethesda NPCs they are. Every time I show up to a settlement anyone who isn't assigned to farm or be a vendor just groups up in the center of town, endlessly clipping through one another.

Then there are the perks. It seems like they couldn't decide if the wanted it to be simple or not so you wind up with like three or four perks one for melee, guns and armor and then Science! Except Science! feels entirely unnecessary because it's mostly just used for energy weapons and other than that is just randomly stuck on to high end upgrades which are otherwise gated by the higher tiers of the respective upgrade type perk anyway. With Science! for energy weapons, there's then just a weird one-off perk distinction for weapons and armor that use it but then nothing else. It feels incomplete.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Arma 3: Now while the AI has lately been updated to be pretty good about moving around smartly (they intentionally stay off roads, keep behind bushes and going behind buildings) and actually using cover and peeking around corners, there is no option to tell them to hurry the gently caress up in regards to moving. If you get caught pants down and sprint to a better position no amount of spamming "move here, regroup" will get them to hurry up and get back with you, they'll instead take a few steps, stop and get on the floor, then stand up and repeat.

It got really frustrating when I went to retrieve my sniper from a hill and wanted him to get into my vehicle just for him to take so long in getting to the car by walking, dropping, crawling, standing and walking that the enemy climbed the hill and got us. Now I know they only do that when in combat stance and I could tell them to go into safe or aware stance... except they often don't listen to me and stay in combat stance.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Beastie posted:

Half from Column A, half from Column C. The game's difficulty is extremely high, and unless you're really spergy about stacking boxes/barrels in designated areas to score bonus points, you're bound to fail a level because of how difficult it is to identify the messes you're tasked with cleaning out. Out of boredom (and an understanding that I'm not making a lot of sense), I made a few mockups for the issue.

Here's something that can happen in the best of cases. A metal wall, under white/blue light, a red blood stain. Sometimes, you wind up with a barely-there stain that's easy to miss:

It can be annoying, sure, but once you know what you're looking for you're able to handle it. Now, imagine a similar blood stain on a green wall, under yellow light, with a green. Sometimes they are simply there from the get-go, sometimes they are created by actually cleaning up a level-specific form of mess to clean, without any sound/visual cue you're creating it:

This can be annoying as hell, but that's not all! Half the walls in which these stains exist on are covered in leaves. So what's really happening is this:

That's practically the entire game, with different colors. It's a pain in the rear end to really sperg out (and zone out while listening to your podcast backlog), clean the gently caress out of a level, be rather proud of how well you did, only to not get a passing grade because of poo poo like this. And like I said, the game is so full of black humor about taking the blame for everything that I'm not sure if its intentional.

And the sniffer device you're given? Generally the best you'll get out of it is an noise that tells you that there's a stain somewhere in front of you. Maybe. Might be behind you. :iiam:

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 04:37 on Dec 11, 2015

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Wow sounds like a pain in the rear end, but it still sounds fun. I see what you were saying though.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Beastie posted:

Wow sounds like a pain in the rear end, but it still sounds fun. I see what you were saying though.

Yeah, it really both a highly fun and highly frustrating game. I think the core of it is that a lot of times you don't ultimately know how well you did. Just now I had a moment where my sniffer was squawking about something. A few random mop wipes that changed nothing (not even dirtying my mop!), the sniffer shut up. It's :iiam: incarnate.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

It sounds pretty chill and fun right up until that happens to you, then it gets infurating for a while. Like a professor layton game, it's fun as hell until you get That One Puzzle, the one you can't solve and will swear is impossible. You know the one. Because there's always one.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

How much effort did you put into illustrating those leaves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
The "sniffer" also doesn't work at all in that game, or at least it doesn't in the Shadow Warrior one. Like, I've cleaned all the blood, it still beeps. That means there's still blood around, right? Nope, I used a console command to remove all the blood. It still beeps at varying frequencies, seemingly randomly.