Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DrDork posted:

(and I'd venture that you can almost always run it out through an open PCI case slot and have the radiator outside the case)

This is very ugly and beneath the dignity of the sort of lady or gentleman who would post in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
It's absolutely ugly, but it's an excellent way to ensure all the heat leaves your case!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

VulgarandStupid posted:

The Cryorig C7 is on Newegg now, you should get that.

I looked it up and it seems like a good fit for my set-up, the others seemed to have issues if the RAM was too high or whatnot. Also checked and according to Cryorig's site it's rated for more than my CPU will do. Thanks!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Is Broadwell-E anything more than rumor right now? I may wind up with some extra research budget in the spring, and I would use it to buy either a Xeon Phi or build a new system from the ground up based around the i7-69XXk.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

Grundulum posted:

Is Broadwell-E anything more than rumor right now? I may wind up with some extra research budget in the spring, and I would use it to buy either a Xeon Phi or build a new system from the ground up based around the i7-69XXk.

The only purpose of a Xeon Phi is personal suffering, so I'd recommend the alternative. The 10-Core BDW-E is still unconfirmed, but has stretched beyond the most rumor-y sites, so probably a decent chance. Schedule is a big question mark, however.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Durinia posted:

The only purpose of a Xeon Phi is personal suffering

While I do mostly agree with you here, I have to say that it does have a huge "cool" factor. And if you get it on discount, it is worth it.

Don't buy it for more than 100$ though. Shipped. After tax.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

No Gravitas posted:

While I do mostly agree with you here, I have to say that it does have a huge "cool" factor. And if you get it on discount, it is worth it.

Don't buy it for more than 100$ though. Shipped. After tax.

Yeah, if you're paying the firesale rate, then go nuts and build both. :)

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/12/intel-skylake-cpus-bent-and-broken-by-some-third-party-coolers/

So yeah, some aftermarket coolers are breaking Skylakes. Not sure if others have seen this previously, but it looks like several of the manufacturers (Noctua, EK Water Blocks, Scythe, Arctic, Thermaltake, and Thermalright) have commented on the issue. Short version right now: If you have a Skylake with one of these, take it off before moving your system somewhere.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Durinia posted:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/12/intel-skylake-cpus-bent-and-broken-by-some-third-party-coolers/

So yeah, some aftermarket coolers are breaking Skylakes. Not sure if others have seen this previously, but it looks like several of the manufacturers (Noctua, EK Water Blocks, Scythe, Arctic, Thermaltake, and Thermalright) have commented on the issue. Short version right now: If you have a Skylake with one of these, take it off before moving your system somewhere.

Oh sweet irony, since there is no cooler included with the -K Skylakes, thus "aftermarket" is "official".

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I'm really agonizing over upgrading my CPU. Have a MSI MS-7756 h97 Mobo with an i5-3570 (no K) CPU..

6600K looks sweet but that will mean new RAM and DDR4 is expensive. I've been mulling over an i5-4690K and a z97 Mobo but I'm not sure if that would be a foolish deadend upgrade.

If I'm replacing the mobo anyway do I just need to bite the bullet and get the 6600K?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Durinia posted:

quote:

This isn't the first time that Intel CPUs have suffered from packaging-related issues. In 2012, it was discovered that the company's Ivy Bridge processors featured a heat spreader mounted with thermal compound rather than the fluxless solder used in previous CPUs. This resulted in higher CPU temperatures and less overclocking headroom, as confirmed by several bouts of independent testing. Intel has since gone back to using a fluxless solder to mount its heat spreaders.

What? lol

But yeah, dunno how you're gonna fix this one Intel

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Berious posted:

I'm really agonizing over upgrading my CPU. Have a MSI MS-7756 h97 Mobo with an i5-3570 (no K) CPU..

6600K looks sweet but that will mean new RAM and DDR4 is expensive. I've been mulling over an i5-4690K and a z97 Mobo but I'm not sure if that would be a foolish deadend upgrade.

If I'm replacing the mobo anyway do I just need to bite the bullet and get the 6600K?

DDR4 memory is within like 20 dollars of DDR3 memory, occasionally it even ends up cheaper for DDR4 memory, depending on sales and sizes you need. DDR4 dropped out of early adopter price territory really quickly.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Berious posted:

I'm not really sure why you'd want to upgrade in the first place, it's not going to be a huge performance increase.

I mean it'll be better than what you have, but not by much. I'd only consider upgrading if you wanted to switch case sizes.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Or overclocking. Isn't the 4690K factory clocked to not far from its thermal limit? You might get an extra couple of hundred MHz out of it. I'm only going on something I read, though.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

DeaconBlues posted:

Or overclocking. Isn't the 4690K factory clocked to not far from its thermal limit? You might get an extra couple of hundred MHz out of it. I'm only going on something I read, though.

The 4790k is near it's limits OOTB but the 4690k can get another 500Mhz-800Mhz over it's 3.9Ghz boost clock if you have good cooling. The 6600k can hit 4.8Ghz and sometimes 5Ghz+ with less cooling.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The 4790k is near it's limits OOTB but the 4690k can get another 500Mhz-800Mhz over it's 3.9Ghz boost clock if you have good cooling. The 6600k can hit 4.8Ghz and sometimes 5Ghz+ with less cooling.

What kinds of voltages are people using to get Skylake past 4.6GHz? At 14nm, I'd be spooked about 1.4V tearing things up in 2 or 3 years, not 15 or 20.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Berious posted:

Unless you're doing a lot of really CPU bound stuff like encoding, there's very little performance reason to upgrade from your current chip. The larger reason is if you want the new platform goodies like support for booting from NVMe SSDs, or USB 3.1, etc.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Twerk from Home posted:

What kinds of voltages are people using to get Skylake past 4.6GHz? At 14nm, I'd be spooked about 1.4V tearing things up in 2 or 3 years, not 15 or 20.

Who keeps the same computer for 2 years?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I've had mine for 4 :ohdear:

Also how many overclockers just bang their cpu to 1.4V and stick it at 4.8-5Ghz 24/7?

Is that still standard practice these days?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

EdEddnEddy posted:

I've had mine for 4 :ohdear:

Also how many overclockers just bang their cpu to 1.4V and stick it at 4.8-5Ghz 24/7?

Is that still standard practice these days?

I've had my 2600k heavily overclocked and overvolted and often running at 100℅ load for 4 1/2 years now. Originally I was able to run at 4.9GHz but I've backed it down to 4.5GHz, mostly because my cooler doesn't seem to work as well as it used to.

Normally I'd upgrade sooner but I want something that's actually faster, I'll probably go with Broadwell-E.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 5, 2015

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

I've had my 2600k heavily overclocked and overvolted and often running at 100℅ load for 4 1/2 years now. Originally I was able to run at 4.9GHz but I've backed it down to 4.5GHz, mostly because my cooler doesn't seem to work as well as it used to.

Normally I'd upgrade sooner but I want something that's actually faster, I'll probably go with Broadwell-E.

I was going to post a bunch of words about my 2600K experience lol. With the arrival of the i7 K series and Turbo, why in the world would you lock your CPU at such a hot and punishing level 24/7? I built a 2600K system that used Per Core Turbo fantastically. 1 core went up to 5.0Ghz, 2 was up to 4.9, 3 and 4 to 4.8Ghz all on less than 1.385v max I believe. It was on a Antac Kuler920 I believe and while that drat thing got loud, it was stable for a few years in Southern Texas until the guy moved again and screwed a bunch of stuff up with the cooler and I haven't been able to get enough time with it to re-setup and test his OC again. Now it runs like up to 4.2ghz on stock voltages I believe.

Running at 100% for long periods isn't a problem, but idling it at max OC volts and speeds all day just seems super wasteful on both CPU life or more visibly Power usage and Heat generation. :/

Though that trick of using a power plan based off of High Performance rather than Balanced really is something I didn't know about before. Balanced would still hit my CPU's 4.4Ghz OC currently, but the High performance once keeps things out of the 1.2Ghz Idle range almost completely which makes things feel a bit speedier, but also does run the temps up a tad higher. It is great for VR/Gaming though.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Twerk from Home posted:

Some 6600k CPUs will hit 4.8 on coolers like the 212 EVO with 1.35V-ish, but more like 1.4V on average and with better cooling required. 4.7 is very doable with 1.3V if you get a good chip, 4.6 is achievable with almost any 6600k. Also Intel engineers say not to push the chip over 1.45V so I would assume that voltages under that are OK for the most part.

Of course sometimes you find "Golden" chips that will do 5GHz.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Thank you for this (and the other advice in your posts).

I'm going to be doing a build in about 4 months time. I'm looking to achieve something with plenty of compute power for running multiple processes on a large monitor in Linux. Gaming isn't necessary. I don't want to spend loads on components so that I can afford a really nice monitor. I was toying with the idea of Skylake and DDR4 but I'm thinking a 4690K and 16GB DDR3 will give me two or three years of solid performance. I'm just waiting to move into a new place and want it to look pretty stylish. Once I see where I'm gonna put everything I'll have a better idea of size and configuration. I'm thinking a mATX board with a Bitfenix Prodigy M will look great in a man pad!

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Spend the extra $100 to get the 4790k if you want the best and don't want to overclock. You do actually get a sizeable performance increase, especially with motherboards that have "multi core optimization." (this is all of them, more or less, and what it does is run the CPU at full turbo even if all cores are taxed) If you don't mind overclocking, a 4690k is a great way to save $100 and get the same performance with an easy overclock.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
That is a good option, LiquidRain. I'll have a look at how Haswell/Devil's Canyon prices go down over the next three months before I pull the trigger. Maybe when 1000's of Skylake chips are shipped over Christmas it will drop the prices a little.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

DeaconBlues posted:

That is a good option, LiquidRain. I'll have a look at how Haswell/Devil's Canyon prices go down over the next three months before I pull the trigger. Maybe when 1000's of Skylake chips are shipped over Christmas it will drop the prices a little.

Older Intel chip prices tend to go up over time as new ones are introduced and not down, since the old ones stop getting manufactured.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Broadwell xeon for sale.

http://www.ocaholic.co.uk/modules/news/article.php?storyid=13830

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
What is the consensus about Intel's NUC units as of late? Are they a decent solution for a user who might need to set up a DIY-built desktop in various places while being able to pack it up in a backpack every once in a while?

I'm asking because I'm reading rumblings here and there about NUCs possibly making a huge jump in performance once they get Skylakes with Irises in them more available, with a big whopper with the top level Iris 580 Pro possibly making it into one :awesome:

also how do they compare to steam machines

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

-they are neat "mom's pc" type things
-the i3 is the best value per performance, don't bother with anything more expensive as all you get is a marginally better chip and going from 20 to 35 fps in cs:go with the i7
-the best setup is getting a 250gb SSD and 2tb samsung 2.5" and maybe an external dvd drive should you happen to need it, it'll make the nicest HTPC
-the i7 version is nowhere near as good as an alienware alpha for gaming (and they're mostly the same price) and this is not likely to change because the GM107/750ti is still far better than what intel can offer with iris at skylake

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Thanks for pointing out the Alpha! This application won't be needed for a few months, so I'll stay tuned to see if it still stays on top w/r/t that idea.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
is the 6700k going back to 350 dollars anytime soon?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Scionix posted:

is the 6700k going back to 350 dollars anytime soon?

I can tell you the D&H cost was $364 i believe when i checked last week which is going to be the cost for most retailers. Ohh, and OOS at every warehouse.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

Older Intel chip prices tend to go up over time as new ones are introduced and not down, since the old ones stop getting manufactured.

Yes, but I wouldn't think the 4690K and 4790K would suffer from availability problems over the next handful of months. They've been selling like hot cakes since release so there should be plenty on the market when I get round to doing a build.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Don Lapre posted:

I can tell you the D&H cost was $364 i believe when i checked last week which is going to be the cost for most retailers. Ohh, and OOS at every warehouse.

does anyone have any idea when their stock is going to stabilize? Not really sure why it got so scarce; it seemed like a pretty incremental upgrade from last gen and the only reason I'm getting one is because I'm being forced to use a lovely no good mobo for my 3570k when my original one broke 4 months ago.

first world problems

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Scionix posted:

does anyone have any idea when their stock is going to stabilize? Not really sure why it got so scarce; it seemed like a pretty incremental upgrade from last gen and the only reason I'm getting one is because I'm being forced to use a lovely no good mobo for my 3570k when my original one broke 4 months ago.

first world problems
New lithography node very reasonably can be expected to keep production lower than we're used to seeing for a bit. While the CPU itself isn't anything too crazy, the chipset does bring a few new features to the table that are arguably more important than the CPU anyhow, so I imagine a bunch of people bought for that.

Plus there are always people who just HAVE to have the latest of everything, and those who figure they might as well, since Kabby Lake probably isn't gonna be a ton better, and Cannon is a ways off. Personally, the only reason I'm not considering an upgrade right now is I want to see how Broadwell-E works out and if Intel drops some hints about any chips with fat stacks of L3/4 cache.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Not sure if its a new thing but the Skylake motherboards have a voltage offset setting now instead of just hard-coding the voltage, so you can just boost the voltage a bit but it will still drop way down when not in use. We hit 4.8ghz at 1.45v with a i5-6600k with a $30 Cryorig CPU cooler and two cheapo stock case fans but dropped it down to 4.6ghz at 1.4v to be stable with Prime95 v28.7 overnight.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

What is the consensus about Intel's NUC units as of late? Are they a decent solution for a user who might need to set up a DIY-built desktop in various places while being able to pack it up in a backpack every once in a while?

I'm asking because I'm reading rumblings here and there about NUCs possibly making a huge jump in performance once they get Skylakes with Irises in them more available, with a big whopper with the top level Iris 580 Pro possibly making it into one :awesome:

I have one that I use for HTPC duties and I think it's pretty fantastic. The build quality on the unit itself is great, the only slight ehhh decision is that they went with a micro-HDMI port on the back, and pretty much no one at all has micro HDMI to normal HDMI cables laying around for use with receivers and TVs.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I have a Broadwell i3 NUC (NUC5i3RYH) with a 128GB M.2 SSD and 2x8GB SODIMMs and it does a great job with Windows 10, Ubuntu, or Fedora running office applications, video conferencing stuff and lots of telnet/SSH sessions. It's responsive and I haven't had any problems doing the same things on it that I do on my main work system, a 13" Haswell Macbook Pro. As long as you have realistic expectations for a mobile dual-core and integrated graphics I think it's a good system, but if you have any interest in gaming or heavy computing loads on it you'd probably prefer a mini-ITX system with a real GPU and/or desktop processor. There's not really a cost benefit to getting a NUC versus a desktop (especially if you mean price/performance and not just raw price), it's really just about size/noise/power consumption.

Edit: Having it has made me consider getting the Celeron model to replace my Raspberry Pi as a torrent box so I can get USB3.0 and gigabit Ethernet, but I haven't yet decided that a 10x increase in download speed from the torrent box is really worth $150.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 9, 2015

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
My desktop's eight years old, so I have no idea what to expect at the low end of newer PCs. Can the current NUCs handle 4K video playback smoothly, or does that still require a beefier machine? If I'm going to get an HTPC, I'd like it to be (relatively) future-proof, and not choking on high resolutions and frame rates seems like the big decider there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Toast Museum posted:

My desktop's eight years old, so I have no idea what to expect at the low end of newer PCs. Can the current NUCs handle 4K video playback smoothly, or does that still require a beefier machine? If I'm going to get an HTPC, I'd like it to be (relatively) future-proof, and not choking on high resolutions and frame rates seems like the big decider there.

The new NUCs can sure play 4K, but can't output it over HDMI!