Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Eh while Young Justice had some good ideas, the execution was kinda meh, I'd say it's probably Weisman's worst show
W.I.T.C.H season 3 then? Or Spectacular Spider-Man. Or Gargoyles.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Imagine if they brought YJ back but they did so like they brought Teen Titans back. I think some people's life would be in actual danger from the amount of rage that would create.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

X_Toad posted:

Or Spectacular Spider-Man.

Now there's a Weisman show worth reviving. Too bad it's definitely never coming back due to animation rights switching to Disney and Marvel's strict adherence to bad jokes in all their shows.

I'll honestly never get why some people are/were so gung ho about YJ being so great. I found it alright to mediocre (though very pretty I'll admit).

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

frank.club posted:

I've been loving ready

It would be nice to have what's her name making it back to the future. They can have a twist where fuckery in the past made a good future anyway. Also more rocking royalty free music.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
XLR was good in every way.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Sleeveless posted:

Even the one that's just 20 minutes of Jack trying on new shoes?

I've never even seen Samurai Jack, but this sounds loving hilarious to me.

computer parts posted:

So are there any other nerd favorite animated shows that got cancelled early that we can expect a reboot of in the next few years?

Didn't Phil Lord and Chris Miller say they were looking to potentially do a Clone High film, dependant on whether Sausage Party does well enough to create a market for R-rated animation?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

frank.club posted:

XLR was good in every way.

the only thing bad about XLR is that it's not on TV right now for me to be watching

Trash Boat posted:

I've never even seen Samurai Jack

woah...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TwoPair posted:

I'll honestly never get why some people are/were so gung ho about YJ being so great. I found it alright to mediocre (though very pretty I'll admit).
It filled a niche that was lacking (though the ThunderCats reboot also tried) and was chock full of DC goodness. I actually enjoyed the teen drama in S1, and the long-term storytelling was nice. At the least, giving Supes reluctancy to accept Kon was a nice take.

If anything sucked it was the constant "Yes, it SEEMS like we've been dealt a loss, but now our even more secret more shadowy cabal has free reign! Everything's coming up The Light!".

And SpinerJoker.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The biggest issue with Young Justice is that Greg Weisman took his usual writing tropes and exaggerated them to ridiculous degrees, to the point where the show just collapses under its own weight with constant plot twists, a million characters that never get enough time to shine, rushed pacing, and a dozen boring overcompetent Xanatos villains.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah the reason why it worked for Xanatos and other villains on Gargoyles was is that we'd either see why worked out for them, or we'd see at least some coherent glimpse at how it'd help them out in the long run(like pretty much everything that came out of Xanatos creating The Pack), while with The Light we rarely got any real insight on their nebulous schemes

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It also tried for a comedy/drama balance, but all of the comedy was incredibly forced and fell totally flat, which made the drama seem really stiff. After the timeskip they totally gave up on triyng to lighten the mood, which I'm not sure made it better or worse.

I still can't believe they actually structured the show around a 7 year plan when they should've been focusing on making the episodes that they were putting out instead of foreshadowing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I still can't believe they actually structured the show around a 7 year plan when they should've been focusing on making the episodes that they were putting out instead of foreshadowing.

Peak Weisman.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

It filled a niche that was lacking (though the ThunderCats reboot also tried) and was chock full of DC goodness. I actually enjoyed the teen drama in S1, and the long-term storytelling was nice. At the least, giving Supes reluctancy to accept Kon was a nice take.

I really liked that too, which is why my biggest problem with season 2 was them basically taking the Justice League (and Superman with it) out of the equation for almost the entirety of the season. Season 2 really felt like an entirely different show.

Oh and I really hated the fact that they never just used the name Young Justice in the show. Like maybe it's not the best team name ever, but having every character refer to the team as "The Team" felt really loving dumb. And maybe in-universe it'd work for a bit because Batman named it and he's uncreative (dude did pick his symbol after the first thing that came through his window after all) and every group needs time to work out a team name, but nope, one timeskip later, everyone's still calling it "The Team". It's like how in the live-action Supergirl, Supergirl dodges the issue of referring to Superman by referring to "her cousin" all the time.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I liked the show but I really didn't like it being called young justice, because that just makes for less of a chance of peter davids comic being adapted. That had some nice storylines, vibrant characters, and was just really cute and fun... and completely unlike the show, which I found okay but closer to modern dc output.

Probably the closest thing from the show to the comics was artemis and arrowette and even then their arcs were completely different beyond being arrow heroines. (arrowette is a stressed out kid who has a former superheroine mom pushing all this on her, it's a hilarious metaphor)

the comic was also different from teen titans show as well, different character lineup and different stories.
Look, the comic run is one of the first comic runs I ever read so I have a bit of a soft spot for it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It also tried for a comedy/drama balance, but all of the comedy was incredibly forced and fell totally flat, which made the drama seem really stiff. After the timeskip they totally gave up on triyng to lighten the mood, which I'm not sure made it better or worse.

It is kind of adorable that they thought a show on Cartoon Network would be allowed to go on for seven years.

TwoPair posted:

Oh and I really hated the fact that they never just used the name Young Justice in the show. Like maybe it's not the best team name ever, but having every character refer to the team as "The Team" felt really loving dumb. And maybe in-universe it'd work for a bit because Batman named it and he's uncreative (dude did pick his symbol after the first thing that came through his window after all) and every group needs time to work out a team name, but nope, one timeskip later, everyone's still calling it "The Team". It's like how in the live-action Supergirl, Supergirl dodges the issue of referring to Superman by referring to "her cousin" all the time.

I think that was only really an issue in the Supergirl pilot. I only watched a few episodes before I reached my tolerance limit, but they referred to Superman by name all the time. He even showed up in an episode (in the foreground, out of focus, with his back to the camera, of course).

But yeah, DC media in general seems to have an issue with naming things the same as their comic book counterparts. It took 4 seasons of Arrow before Oliver Queen actually chose to call himself the Green Arrow.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 7, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

raditts posted:

It is kind of adorable that they thought a show on Cartoon Network would be allowed to go on for seven years.

I think that was only really an issue in the Supergirl pilot. I only watched a few episodes before I reached my tolerance limit, but they referred to Superman by name all the time. He even showed up in an episode (in the foreground, out of focus, with his back to the camera, of course).

But yeah, DC media in general seems to have an issue with naming things the same as their comic book counterparts. It took 4 seasons of Arrow before Oliver Queen actually chose to call himself the Green Arrow.

Weisman still writes Gargoyles fan fiction weekly in the guise of a Q and A section of his blog where he explains what would have happened in all four spinoff series that he still has hopes of seeing.

How far ahead had he planned his Spider-Man series?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Jack Gladney posted:

Weisman still writes Gargoyles fan fiction weekly in the guise of a Q and A section of his blog where he explains what would have happened in all four spinoff series that he still has hopes of seeing.

How far ahead had he planned his Spider-Man series?

like up to season 4 or 5 and a movie or something, like five years? It was actually possible with that series, too.
He know ahead of time which villains and spider man stories he wanted to adapt when, and basically was going to put peter through four years of high school and have a movie where he's in college, if i remember right.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Acne Rain posted:

like up to season 4 or 5 and a movie or something, like five years? It was actually possible with that series, too.
He know ahead of time which villains and spider man stories he wanted to adapt when, and basically was going to put peter through four years of high school and have a movie where he's in college, if i remember right.

poo poo that sounds like it would have been so good. That was a great series. It's a real shame copyright killed it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yes. The loss of Spectacular (and to a lesser extent the utter FUBARIng of YJ and BTB) really did a number on non comedy comic book cartoons.

Marvel's in house stuff hasn't really amounted to much; Amazing Spider-man seriously needs to OD on Ritalin and whoever thought the editing style of those shows (emulating Comic panels for god knows what reason) needs to be put through a table.

And without any decent effort from Marvel, it really doesn't behove DC to do much.

axleblaze posted:

Imagine if they brought YJ back but they did so like they brought Teen Titans back. I think some people's life would be in actual danger from the amount of rage that would create.
Speaking of, did the writers ever make good on their wanting to do an episode based on investing in a 401k?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 8, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
capes are kind of oversaturating things atm anyway and there are now multiple live action cape shows I am not watching. Once they were revolutionizing television but right now it's probably okay for them to have a break.

Spectacular was really unique in how it felt, though, and I do miss it.

but even with my cape fatigue, I wouldn't mind a more serious cartoon with a serialized plot coming out instead of more 10 minute twee comedies aiming for the Adventure Time audience even if I find many of them enjoyable.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

How is Avengers Assemble compared to Earth's Mightiest Heroes? I've heard that it has a dip in quality like the Spider-Man shows have, but is it as bad as, say, Spectacular to Ultimate?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Y-Hat posted:

How is Avengers Assemble compared to Earth's Mightiest Heroes? I've heard that it has a dip in quality like the Spider-Man shows have, but is it as bad as, say, Spectacular to Ultimate?

It's exactly like going from Spectacular to Ultimate, though I guess EMH wasn't as good as Spectacular, but AA keeps up by being even more boring than Ultimate. Apparently it started getting kinda decent last season and the season finale was kinda cool for taking elements of Hickman's Avengers run.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
All I know about Avengers Assemble is this gif.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It's exactly like going from Spectacular to Ultimate, though I guess EMH wasn't as good as Spectacular, but AA keeps up by being even more boring than Ultimate. Apparently it started getting kinda decent last season and the season finale was kinda cool for taking elements of Hickman's Avengers run.

Plus no Wasp who was super fun in EMH and one of the reasons I hate AA for removing her. Also swaping Tonys voice actor. His EMH is just so much better then his AA one, who I can barely stand listening to.

Added on unlike Spectacular which was killed by copyright and business issues and nothing could really be done. EMH's was killed for no real reason. It had good ratings and reviews (That ironically dipped a bit when the AA team took over it.) but the guy in charge wanted to make a new show from scratch and make it more like the movies. (Which minus the difference with the team lineup it already was.) So this was a case of someone getting rid of a good show just so they could replace it with an inferior version of the show.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 9, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's a sad day when 2010's Toei, who have made cheeping out on animation an art form, makes the better Avengers cartoon.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

So, what is the verdict on Pickle and Peanut?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Wakfu S3 is well under production and they've shared their first glimpse at its villain. He appears to be a dead Iop based on his chest crest.

Reminds me a lot of this music video from last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlEb3L1PIco

e: link to the whole thing, it's a good read: http://forum.krosmaster.com/fr/1152-discussions-generales/61226-lettre-communaute-krosmoz

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 10, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Neo Helbeast posted:

Wakfu S3 is well under production and they've shared their first glimpse at its villain. He appears to be a dead Iop based on his chest crest.

Reminds me a lot of this music video from last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlEb3L1PIco

e: link to the whole thing, it's a good read: http://forum.krosmaster.com/fr/1152-discussions-generales/61226-lettre-communaute-krosmoz

That sounds cool.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MonsterEnvy posted:

Plus no Wasp who was super fun in EMH and one of the reasons I hate AA for removing her. Also swaping Tonys voice actor. His EMH is just so much better then his AA one, who I can barely stand listening to.

Added on unlike Spectacular which was killed by copyright and business issues and nothing could really be done. EMH's was killed for no real reason. It had good ratings and reviews (That ironically dipped a bit when the AA team took over it.) but the guy in charge wanted to make a new show from scratch and make it more like the movies. (Which minus the difference with the team lineup it already was.) So this was a case of someone getting rid of a good show just so they could replace it with an inferior version of the show.

The Superhero Squad Show was the best Avengers show anyway.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

MonsterEnvy posted:

That sounds cool.

Closer to release I'm going to make a thread for it, it's a good show, better than even Adventure time.

Also I clicked the link in your AV, I don't know what any of that means.

E: EMH is like the 4th best superhero show ever made after like XMEN, BTAS, and JL/JLU.

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 10, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Neo Helbeast posted:

Closer to release I'm going to make a thread for it, it's a good show, better than even Adventure time.

Also I clicked the link in your AV, I don't know what any of that means.

E: EMH is like the 4th best superhero show ever made after like XMEN, BTAS, and JL/JLU.

X-Men is not what I would call a good superhero show. It's like a hair ahead of 90s Spider-Man. Unless we're talking about that awesome 80s Sunbow pilot.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

thelaughingman posted:

So, what is the verdict on Pickle and Peanut?

I like it a lot, but I imagine in general most people would find it to be trash.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I can't trust nerds about superhero shows anymore if Batman: The Brave and the Bold isn't somewhere on their "best superhero shows" list.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I might not be comic nerd enough these days to finish watching all of bnb and some of the more serious episodes weren't as fun but its best episodes cement it as one of the best cape shows ever.

I have watched wakfu season 1 + 2 and dofus... season 3 will be a good time especially since there aren't many fantasy journey shows like avatar the last airbender but I wouldn't call it "better than adventure time". Mainly because it's not really comparable. Wakfu is about an epic fantasy adventure, adventure time is not really epic (it has tried and failed except for Stakes) and is more about turning normal life into fantasy (having a parent with dementia, making up with an ex, hanging out with friends, etc)

wakfu has a serialized plot that can be surprisingly fantastic and emotional but often doesn't bother getting to it and can be very silly (pig dungeons, wabbit dungeons, giant robots made of bread, drunkard panda people) and a little uncouth. I may end up watching season 3 since no one is doing fantasy journeys on either live action or animation (game of thrones is fantasy but not journey...)

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 10, 2015

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
The silliness I don't mind because it's in the blood of the franchise (races in that thing are brands spelled backward...) but it's true that I would like it if it was more serious about its main plot. They also kind of need a solid antagonist, as Nox is the thing that made Season 1 really special.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Acne Rain posted:

I might not be comic nerd enough these days to finish watching all of bnb and some of the more serious episodes weren't as fun but its best episodes cement it as one of the best cape shows ever.

I have watched wakfu season 1 + 2 and dofus... season 3 will be a good time especially since there aren't many fantasy journey shows like avatar the last airbender but I wouldn't call it "better than adventure time". Mainly because it's not really comparable. Wakfu is about an epic fantasy adventure, adventure time is not really epic (it has tried and failed except for Stakes) and is more about turning normal life into fantasy (having a parent with dementia, making up with an ex, hanging out with friends, etc)

wakfu has a serialized plot that can be surprisingly fantastic and emotional but often doesn't bother getting to it and can be very silly (pig dungeons, wabbit dungeons, giant robots made of bread, drunkard panda people) and a little uncouth. I may end up watching season 3 since no one is doing fantasy journeys on either live action or animation (game of thrones is fantasy but not journey...)

the descriptor you're looking for is "shounen"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

fount of knowledge posted:

I can't trust nerds about superhero shows anymore if Batman: The Brave and the Bold isn't somewhere on their "best superhero shows" list.

There's people in this thread arguing that superhero cartoons aren't grimdark enough anymore after we went through a good 20-25 years of nothing but that poo poo, so... yeah.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Once again, catching up on Wander Over Yonder and it just keeps getting better! I'm not sure about the Dominator/Hater relationship thing, though. I dislike romantic crap being shoved every which way into otherwise great shows (just such a thing irreparably hosed up Regular Show for me), so I am wary on that. Otherwise, fantastic job so far!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

raditts posted:

There's people in this thread arguing that superhero cartoons aren't grimdark enough anymore after we went through a good 20-25 years of nothing but that poo poo, so... yeah.

What, like the supremely grimdark Batman: the Animated Series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

fount of knowledge posted:

Yes, pretty much this. Brave and the Bold didn't even try to be what people think B:TAS was except good. I think I learned of more DC characters I'd read comics off of that than any other cape show.

Also contains Shaggy punching out the Joker so it's the best Scooby Doo thing too.