Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
I'm excited to be able to use glacial hammer Melee splash and not feel outright inferior to ice crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Bugsy posted:

That is quite a change. Elemental hit might be good now with Melee Splash.

Elemental hit is not an "Attack skill that has its damage based on the wielded weapon"

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ice Nova was already pretty good, tempting to run it again but I've already done two Ice Nova dudes recently in 1mo leagues. On the other hand, the EK, spark, arc & ball lightning buffs are also intriguing. I think I still wanna start a chaos caster with the new poo poo though. Also lightning strike could be good again?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think a lot of people realize that if you face-cast Spark, all of the projectiles hit the target directly in front of you. So it's a really good melee-range single-target spell too. Obviously not good if you skimped on ES or +life/armor or whatever. But it's not the worst AoE spell ever if you try to use it single target. Not to mention it's a character level one spell so if you're like me and prefer to level with your actual build instead of respecing into a new one once you get enough XP, that's an option.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
It just occurred to me that the changes to Lightning Strike could make Mjolner good again, does anyone know if that would be enough to make it strong?

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I think this part is going to tip me over to Viper Strike poison Shadow for first character:

"Rather than dealing the damage of the highest hit (as Ignite does), poison can now have multiple stacks. This means that every hit counts, rather than just the occasional big hit. This also lets it scale much better towards end-game, and differentiates it from other damage-over-time effects."

Maybe actually use Phase Run to sneak up on things and poison them?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Additions made to the patch notes (in the appropriate places):

Tornado Shot's base damage has been increased by a flat 10% at all levels.
Ice Shot's chilled ground duration is now 1.5 seconds at all levels.
The number of additional arrows that Split Arrow grants at level 20 has been reduced from 8 to 6. It still starts at four additional arrows at level 1, with the levels in between interpolated.
Frost Blades has been improved from 2 additional projectiles at all levels to 4 additional projectiles at level 1 and 7 additional projectiles at level 20. It has also been increased from +14 weapon range at all levels to +18 weapon range at level 1 and +21 weapon range at level 20. It now gains 1% projectile speed per level after the first (19% at Level 20) and its base projectile speed has been increased by 25%.
Burning Arrow's base damage has been increased from 130% to 150% at level 1 and 160.4% to 184.2% at level 20.
Ground Slam now gains increased area of effect radius of 1% for each level after the first.
The Unique Jewel, Chill of Corruption, now has 50% chance to gain an additional Vaal Soul per enemy shattered, down from 80%.
Serrated Arrow Quivers now drop at level 5 and have a level requirement of 5.

Skills which detonate corpses (such as Detonate Dead, Abyssal Cry and Infernal Blow) have had their radius increased by 22%.
Righteous Fire's radius has been increased by 60%.
Storm Call's radius has been increased by 25%
Glacial Cascade's radius has been increased by 25%.
Ice Shot's radius has been increased by 9%.
Sweep's radius has been reduced by 8%.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 9, 2015

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

MannersPlease posted:

Is the buff to spec throw enough to make it viable? I got banans when they were on sale last and I haven't played that build...

I figure the style is flexible enough to throw whatever talisman challenge throws at us, but I don't wanna totally gimp my first character...

That being said, I think my first main will be a support so I can just leech other peoples maps when I actually have time to play so :P

I know mathil showed it was viable with INSANE gear in darkshrine, but...I don't want to rely on a 6 t2+ mod weapon dropping...

Mathil also talks about how his damage is still great with a weapon in the chaos range. Also you're understating "viable" a bit I feel, He killed uber in a 5-week league with an ele build. As for 2.1, you can now drop blood magic and life leech gem because you get attack damage mana + life leech on the tree. Thats going to be absolutely bonkers. I'm in the process of convincing myself to play ST instead of reave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvUeK3pmu-g <- Mathil's crit ele sword st guide
poeurl.com/tiT <- Mathil's preliminary 2.1 build (needs new offline planner)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Are there any cheap summoner builds you guys can suggest? "Cheap" as in "a new player could afford them". Most of the stuff I'm looking at assumes you've got end game characters running with optimal equipment.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
In the last league played a tanky guy with static strike. Got up to 85 to unlock all the challenges but it started getting pretty boring at the end.

I wonder of the radius increase on Detonate Dead would make it a viable skill, I've always found it kind of lacking in PoE. In Diablo 2 I had a blast with a corpse explosion build back in the day.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Katasi posted:

It just occurred to me that the changes to Lightning Strike could make Mjolner good again, does anyone know if that would be enough to make it strong?

????????

SuicideSnowman posted:

I wonder of the radius increase on Detonate Dead would make it a viable skill, I've always found it kind of lacking in PoE. In Diablo 2 I had a blast with a corpse explosion build back in the day.

I really hate the mechanics of detonate dead when prolif is no longer viable. It used to be one of my favorite skills, but I dont really see it being that comfortable unless they make prolif better.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Are there any cheap summoner builds you guys can suggest? "Cheap" as in "a new player could afford them". Most of the stuff I'm looking at assumes you've got end game characters running with optimal equipment.

There's a difference between "this would be nice" and "this build is crap without it", a distinction not often made in build guides unfortunately. I recommend going for a 'traditional' summoner build, meaning zombies + spectres. It's a very strong build that requires practically no investment to be good.

AngryAA always has great summoner builds.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

AegisP posted:

Jesus, stop GGG. It's already dead.
Haha, yep, the new no-crit support gem isn't making up for that nerf. Maybe salvageable with chaos conversion and even more modifiers?

EDIT: Guy claims 58% less damage in the first second after swapping echo for the new gem. Though I think he's being deliberately misleading, by his numbers, dps approaches 21% less as time goes on. That might be usable, though clear speed and safety looks to suffer greatly.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 9, 2015

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Larry Parrish posted:

I don't think a lot of people realize that if you face-cast Spark, all of the projectiles hit the target directly in front of you. So it's a really good melee-range single-target spell too. Obviously not good if you skimped on ES or +life/armor or whatever. But it's not the worst AoE spell ever if you try to use it single target. Not to mention it's a character level one spell so if you're like me and prefer to level with your actual build instead of respecing into a new one once you get enough XP, that's an option.

When was the last time you used Spark? I don't believe it's been that way since before the shotgunning changes.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Count Uvula posted:

When was the last time you used Spark? I don't believe it's been that way since before the shotgunning changes.

I just realized I haven't used it for like 2 years lol

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Ekster posted:

There's a difference between "this would be nice" and "this build is crap without it", a distinction not often made in build guides unfortunately. I recommend going for a 'traditional' summoner build, meaning zombies + spectres. It's a very strong build that requires practically no investment to be good.

AngryAA always has great summoner builds.

Brill, cheers. :)

Ton of this stuff starts with talking about six link epic triple bollocks and I just want to summon ghosts and tiny skulls!

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005

TheRat posted:

????????

Maybe I was misunderstanding, but I thought Mjolner got dumpstered a couple patches ago.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

It's like people see a nerf of any kind and think items/skills are useless. Mjolnir is still the strongest item in the game, Incinerate will probably still be very strong (let's not forget how much better it was than every other spell), Acrobatics is viable defense. Calm down.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Katasi posted:

Maybe I was misunderstanding, but I thought Mjolner got dumpstered a couple patches ago.

Nah, it went from being the best item/build in the game(without mirrored gear). To being a really good build that could clear uber and all tier 15 maps.

Edit: Spergs like me might like this

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 9, 2015

J
Jun 10, 2001

poptart_fairy posted:

Brill, cheers. :)

Ton of this stuff starts with talking about six link epic triple bollocks and I just want to summon ghosts and tiny skulls!

Well, any build guide worth a poo poo will discuss what gems to use if you have a 6 link just for the sake of completeness. But 6 links are an extreme luxury, you don't need one to do a vast majority of builds out there. Most summoner builds are pretty gear independent from what I've seen, you'll be just fine.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I was thinking of trying a hybrid explosive arrow MF build at the start of the league, which may or may not end up being terrible.

It looks like this (you'll need the updated offline skill tree)

Basically the idea is to level with flame totem/searing bond and swap over to explosive arrow MF when I can get a soul strike quiver and quill rain or a +3 bow. If the build ends up being terrible I can also just mulligan into a totem MF dude.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

So Agnerod West is being released, along with a new unique map "Vinktar Square." Hope it leads to something really awesome.

For those who don't want to look it up, there are 3 Agnerod uniques in the game right now (Agnerod North, Agnerod South, Agnerod East). They are all unique imperial staves with the same art, and all have almost exactly the same stats with 1 variable lightning mod. As is, they're all okay lightning staves but lacking compared to the staves anyone actually uses for spells at that level. The flavor text for them all say "One for each corner of the great Vinktar Square."

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
As someone who picked this up when it first came out but hasn't touched it since then (and only had a character up to level 15 or so) what do you guys recommend for some relatively easy, reasonably powerful builds that I can level up with and play around and have fun without having to sperglord forever worry too much? Sometime like a minion master? Totem Summoner?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

LordAdakos posted:

As someone who picked this up when it first came out but hasn't touched it since then (and only had a character up to level 15 or so) what do you guys recommend for some relatively easy, reasonably powerful builds that I can level up with and play around and have fun without having to sperglord forever worry too much? Sometime like a minion master? Totem Summoner?

I'd say something like shockwave totem/searing bond would fit the bill. But with almost any build, you will have to do some maths.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

funmanguy posted:

Nah, it went from being the best item/build in the game(without mirrored gear). To being a really good build that could clear uber and all tier 15 maps.

Edit: Spergs like me might like this

Nice. Wish there was a modified DPS column for ones that can be reliably modified though, a lot of them you have to do more math to get the right figure. Fire Nova Mine's true DPS is 976 for example. Flame Surge's is 1926.
e: Oops my flame surge math was at one cast per second. Fixed.

LordAdakos posted:

Summoners actually require a lot more of a spergy balancing act than most other builds. Kinda the price they pay for automatically killing things. Funman's right that Shockwave Totem and Searing Bond are both incredibly simple, but they're also kinda boring which you can alleviate a bit by putting fire trap as a secondary attack.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 9, 2015

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Babby's first build should always be 2h cyclone in my opinion.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1302337 should be a good guide

Katasi posted:

They nerfed the dps from roflcopter to roflol. To compensate, they added Kingsguard which makes it almost impossible to die.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

If you don't mind the indirect combat, any variation of Raise Spectre builds, Summon Raging Spirits, and Flame Totem are all incredibly strong. Other builds that work well without budget that you can just pick up and play:

Melee: 2 handed melee weapon Cyclone/Ice Crash/Sweep, Fake Dual Wield Reave (Dagger in 1 hand + Axe/Mace in the other), Facebreaker Cyclone/Ice Crash
Non-caster ranged: Phys crit bow Split Arrow/Tornado Shot/Lightning Arrow/Ice Shot/Rain of Arrows/basically any bow skill, Kinetic Blast, Spectral Throw (good enough to beat the super hard endgame boss in a 1 month league right now despite everyone thinking it's bad, getting buffed in the patch)
Caster: Arc, Glacial Cascade, Flameblast, Ice Nova, Ball Lightning, Ethereal Knives, and maybe Firestorm are all in various states of okay-decent right now. Incinerate is by far the best but is getting nerfed ridiculously hard.
Other: Cast On Crit Cyclone is cheap to start out with, and the best totem/summon stuff will probably continue to be Flame Totem and SRS/Spectres, Poison Arrow (now named Caustic Arrow) and Explosive Arrow are also pretty easy to pick up and require very little gear, listed here because they work differently from the other bow skills
New things: New phys damage spells might be good, new chaos damage spells will probably be good, some kind of melee attack + buffed melee splash might be good, and who knows what else might emerge as a part of the meta

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Summoner is terrible if youre new. i imagine

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I have completely hated SRS/Summoner both times I have tried to play it in the last two leagues. Specters are horrible to manage, especially when you get to the point where you only want one specific monster so you have to go back to the zone to resummon them if any die.

The last few builds I have played that I really enjoyed were DW Crit Ice Crash, Explosive Arrow and CoC Cyclone. All are really easy to gear, though EA really wants a Quill Rain, and have great clear speed.

I want to try a chaos DoT build this league, it sounds fun and a completely new play style from what other stuff we have in the game. Somewhat like old burning prolif I guess.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I forgot about the Melee Splash buffs. Double Strike, my old friend.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions!

I think i'll try out the cyclone 2h build and/or maybe one of the others linked.

Thank you guys!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

SuicideSnowman posted:

I did a marauder based around Detonate Dead (open with Desecrate for some corpses and then boom boom boom boom) and it was quite strong. Burn damage was nice but the flat explosion damage did most of the work. It felt fine in teams too.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Larry Parrish posted:

It used to, but then shotgunning got removed.

e: beaten long ago

Ornedan fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 9, 2015

The Broletariat
May 23, 2004
I wonder if there's beer on the sun?
Been playing a lot lately, so the patch will be a welcome breath of fresh air. Crit EK this coming league will be fun.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Oh god, now I have to try searing bond with decoy totem. I have to. The extra totem buff and the DOT cluster next to heart of flame are practically signed Christmas gifts from Chris Wilson.
This time I'll go with armor/e-shield gear, so I can get 5 linked blues and fit three curses into a ball lightning curse on hit setup.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
I made a really simple and boring EB/MoM Contagion Witch for hardcore. What do you guys think? http://poeurl.com/tpA

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 9, 2015

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Man, now I can't decide what to do! I'd like to try something new, but I'm worried Chaos Dot or my crit heavy strike will end up terrible and I'll lose interest

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Mince Pieface posted:

Man, now I can't decide what to do! I'd like to try something new, but I'm worried Chaos Dot or my crit heavy strike will end up terrible and I'll lose interest

Contagion is almost guaranteed to be ridiculously good and versatile, so you don't have to worry too much about that. Crit heavy strike is a bit harder to figure, especially since it won't reach its potential until you're like level 70.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I'm doing two handed crit sword Frost Blades because Jesus did that skill just got the crap buffed out of it, and the leech passive changes in the lower right of the tree aren't going to hurt either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm doing a chaos caster to start, after that I don't know. I want to do something new-ish, maybe with frost blades?

• Locked thread