Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Goddamn Erwin's internal monologue made me think of only one other person (gee especially since they use almost the same imagery :downs:)

I hope Erwin eats the poo poo out of Reiner's brain juice to go outside or whatever his goal was I forgot

ed: last page chapter update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Literally blown the gently caress out. RIP in pieces you big ugly gently caress. I won't believe he's actually dead until we get a page of Eren pissing on his corpse though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Non-pirated version.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics_read/manga?series_id=179&chapter_num=76

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I hope Reiner's dead because it would be fitting for that mother fucker to be killed by people he brushed off as nothing

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Vengarr posted:

Literally blown the gently caress out. RIP in pieces you big ugly gently caress. I won't believe he's actually dead until we get a page of Eren pissing on his corpse though.
If we don't get that, I'll gladly settle for Eren calling the rest of the gang out for being kill-stealers. Unless Hange's plan all along was to have Eren be the distraction.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I hope it's not a fake out either. Not so much dislike of the character but it's boring when cliffhangers never live up to their threat.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I am so pumped about this poo poo. I cannot wait to see them animate this in like, 2018. It's just so satisfying to see the humans actually holding their own for once.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I hope it's not a fake out either. Not so much dislike of the character but it's boring when cliffhangers never live up to their threat.

Same. It really takes the suspense when every cliffhanger is a fakeout.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What a shocking way to go! Reiner really didn't see that coming, did he?

But nah, it was a great chapter.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
chapter76.jpg

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I want to ask to clarify because the manga slowed me down so much and I've forgotten who everyone is in between releases but was the guy who just died the one with the brain problem that caused him to switch personalities depending on whether he thought he was a warrior or a soldier? And now we'll never find out why?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Krinkle posted:

I want to ask to clarify because the manga slowed me down so much and I've forgotten who everyone is in between releases but was the guy who just died the one with the brain problem that caused him to switch personalities depending on whether he thought he was a warrior or a soldier? And now we'll never find out why?

Yes, Bert's still alive though, so there's hope for an answer.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

If one of Reiner/Bertholdt died, I was actually expecting it to be Bertholdt since he has less characterization. And I expect at least one of them to survive in order to provide some Moral Dilemma down the line once Eren and company learn the truth about the world/their country.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/gRuAVef.webm

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The series has been on loving fire the last half a dozen chapters, it slowed down a bit but we're actually progressing while having crazy awesome fights now too.

Aot is in its prime right now imo

Berserk is off the boat, samurai jack is going to finally get the finale it never got, and Aot might actually get to the loving basement. What a month it's been

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ytlaya posted:

If one of Reiner/Bertholdt died, I was actually expecting it to be Bertholdt since he has less characterization. And I expect at least one of them to survive in order to provide some Moral Dilemma down the line once Eren and company learn the truth about the world/their country.

Wouldn't that be Anne? I don't expect the series will end with her still in that crystal.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

The series has been on loving fire the last half a dozen chapters, it slowed down a bit but we're actually progressing while having crazy awesome fights now too.

Aot is in its prime right now imo

Berserk is off the boat, samurai jack is going to finally get the finale it never got, and Aot might actually get to the loving basement. What a month it's been

Wheres a new chapter of Hiatus x Hiatus?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kild posted:

Wheres a new chapter of Hiatus x Hiatus?

As soon as Togashi stops being a boulder.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

Same. It really takes the suspense when every cliffhanger is a fakeout.

Well, Kenny and Rod Reiss are both dead, so there's a good chance this isn't a fakeout

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Reiner's not dead. Defeated, maybe, but not dead.

He's essentially ceased being a threat since he reappeared (MT wrecked him, Eren wrecked him, and now the Lightning Spears wrecked him) so, unless he pulls another power up out of nowhere, there's no dramatic tension in him continuing to fight and the Lightning Spears look like they'll be decisive in taking him out of the fight for the time being.

If they take him alive, Reiner can serve as a much needed source of information about MT and the shifters and, in a choice between Bertolt and Reiner, Reiner seems like the most likely to cooperate, especially because of his warrior/soldier mental split. Bertolt strikes me as much more callous and unlikely to budge.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 9, 2015

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

In It For The Tank posted:

Reiner's not dead. Defeated, maybe, but not dead.

He's essentially ceased being a threat since he reappeared (MT wrecked him, Eren wrecked him, and now the Lightning Spears wrecked him) so, unless he pulls another power up out of nowhere, there's no dramatic tension in him continuing to fight and the Lightning Spears look like they'll be decisive in taking him out of the fight for the time being.

If they take him alive, Reiner can serve as a much needed source of information about MT and the shifters and, in a choice between Bertolt and Reiner, Reiner seems like the most likely to cooperate, especially because of his warrior/soldier mental split. Bertolt strikes me as much more callous and unlikely to budge.

Bert's a bitch and will talk as long as they have annie as a bargaining chip

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Bertolt rationalized kicking down the walls (twice!). I wouldn't put anything passed him.

I think it's interesting that despite his affection for Annie that he didn't fight the Monkey Titan to prioritize her rescue like Reiner did. Even if it was because he didn't trust his own abilities against MT, it's surprising that he didn't at least fight with Reiner or intervene like he did when Eren fought Reiner. Maybe Bertolt just defers to MT's authority that much.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 9, 2015

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Did I miss or forget a plot point? What's the warrior/soldier split?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

PerniciousKnid posted:

Did I miss or forget a plot point? What's the warrior/soldier split?
Way back when Eren fought Reiner/Berthold the last time, Reiner was clearly confused as to if he was a Warrior - i.e a weapon of the outside world, built to break walls, or a Soldier who had devoted his heart to the king. He talked about deserving a medal from the King for killing all those titans, while simultaneously stealing Eren to betray everyone. He's suffering some kind of of mental breakdown under the strain of his divided loyalties.

forhorglingrads
Aug 14, 2003

Not to mention the weight of guilt that Reiner and Bertholt share for killing or being the cause of so many deaths. Bert stated at one point about how he, Reiner and Annie didn't want to kill anyone, but they were forced to for an unknown reason (maybe commanded by Monkey Trouble, or the leader of their faction).

I think that guilt plays a part in why Reiner has a mental breakdown.

forhorglingrads fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 9, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
My bet is is that Reiner is dead. Next chapter will be him flashing back or something like that as he dies.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I'm still chuckling at those last words the morning after. If they were, you know, actually them.

forhorglingrads
Aug 14, 2003

Well if Reiner isn't dead....Eren could devour him to gain his memories. Or just ingest his spinal fluid or whatever.

The Survey Corps failed multiple times in successfully detaining Annie, they might not want to bother trying to do the same with Reiner, especially under the current situation they're in.

In any case, from the looks of it, Reiner is probably dead.

forhorglingrads fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 9, 2015

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
All the talk from Hange and the survey corps or whatever before they used the spears seems to indicate that attack was intended to kill him. They were like "Reiner..." and she's like "well you knew this moment would come". So I imagine he is dead and he will be developed further through flashbacks and other characters talking about him. Also the third to last panel or whatever where he's surrounded by the spears looked pretty bad for him

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

forhorglingrads posted:

Bert stated at one point about how he, Reiner and Annie didn't want to kill anyone, but they were forced to for an unknown reason (maybe commanded by Monkey Trouble, or the leader of their faction).

They're child soldiers, it's not very complicated.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Yay! something happened this chapter.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

If he's not dead, I hope he's only alive long enough for some last words. I'd be pissed if some bullshit titan power keeps him alive

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Sub Harrison posted:

If he's not dead, I hope he's only alive long enough for some last words. I'd be pissed if some bullshit titan power keeps him alive

Or he is alive long enough for someone to inject themselves with the titan serum and then eat him to regain his ability to turn human

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

badjohny posted:

Or he is alive long enough for someone to inject themselves with the titan serum and then eat him to regain his ability to turn human

It would be extra hyper rad if Levi did it. He is the one who got the serum, right?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

It would be extra hyper rad if Levi did it. He is the one who got the serum, right?

Levi is already a physical badass, they'd learn more if Henge does it.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Krinkle posted:

We know why though? He was having a mental breakdown because of the strain in of both pretending to be a soldier and keeping true to who he was and where he came from on top of being directly responsible for all those deaths, something he was supposedly doing for the greater good.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I dunno if this is already a thing, but building on jokes regarding the Bert/Reinie naming scheme, can we refer to Annie and Beast Titan as Big Bird and Grover, respectively? I've become enamored with the idea of mixing AoT and Sesame Street.
Oh poo poo, this is a thing, somehow:
http://imgur.com/umbmG3q

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No, we cannot.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I wonder where the story's going to go post-basement. Are we only going to get half the mystery and to know the full truth we have to go to our big bad village finale arc? Or will Eren take control of the wall titans and the story turns into a titan mecha series? Kinda worried casue I'd hate to see it fizzle off like Twin Peaks.

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Is the series nearing its conclusion? Didn't they say it was going to be around 20 volumes at some point? If so, are they planning on airing the next season of the anime straight through the final chapters, maybe even releasing them at the same time?