Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a good GPS app yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What functionality are you looking for? GPS Status will help you with AGPS stuff and let you leave GPS waypoints. Google Maps uses GPS.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just navigation I guess. Don't need anything fancy other than I'd like to customize the route.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

Just navigation I guess. Don't need anything fancy other than I'd like to customize the route.

Google maps? Waze? Here? These have been good apps for years now.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Pushbullet now does remote files.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

myron cope posted:

I've been using Podcast Addict since it came up in the thread whenever that was. I like it ok, but I have a question if anyone would be able to answer:
There's a "playlist" type thing if I swipe from left to right while listening to a show, but I can't figure out how to actually get episodes on there--some seem to show up, others don't show up and I don't know why.

I was getting advice in using it and I decided to do this for my usage and it's been nice.

When you're at the top level go three dots-> settings-> playlist
Check "enable playlist", "automatic dequeue", and select "automatic playlist-> downloaded only".

With those options the only management I needed to do was choosing what episodes I wanted to listen to. Downloading them puts them on the playlist and listening to them removed them. It really made it hands off to use it do must of the time I just use their widget and go to the playlist to hop around my downloaded episodes.

They also have a menu of downloaded episodes as well.

I also set up automatic cleanup by deleting episodes after listening and then set it to an arbitrary three days later to confirm the deletion in case I wanted to relisten. I also used some gestures via Nova Launcher and PA kind of hit every note I needed in a player.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I had been using flow home for my launcher until recently. The one thing I like about it was the colored squares that showed tweets on my feed. Is there any widget that can get me something similar? I am currently using the official twitter app widget.

Edit: I guess for clarification, is there any widgets that are similar to HTC blinkfeed. Widgets, not launchers.

couldcareless fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 9, 2015

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Well now that Pushbullet is a mother fucker of a company who is going subscription instead of being a paid app, is there a decent alternative? I just want to SMS from my computer, and PBs 100 message limit is ridiculous.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

couldcareless posted:

I had been using flow home for my launcher until recently. The one thing I like about it was the colored squares that showed tweets on my feed. Is there any widget that can get me something similar? I am currently using the official twitter app widget.

Edit: I guess for clarification, is there any widgets that are similar to HTC blinkfeed. Widgets, not launchers.

I used Flow for quite a bit earlier in the year and really liked it. I recall leaving it as it needed some updates and appeared to be forgotten about. I wish I could remember what I felt it needed but I see that it was last updated in September. Perhaps I'll give it another go.

In response to your question though, I tried a bunch of widgets and none of them came close to replicating what Flow did for twitter.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

TraderStav posted:

I used Flow for quite a bit earlier in the year and really liked it. I recall leaving it as it needed some updates and appeared to be forgotten about. I wish I could remember what I felt it needed but I see that it was last updated in September. Perhaps I'll give it another go.

In response to your question though, I tried a bunch of widgets and none of them came close to replicating what Flow did for twitter.

That's a shame. That feed style kept me into twitter more than any other I can find. I'll keep hunting I suppose

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

couldcareless posted:

That's a shame. That feed style kept me into twitter more than any other I can find. I'll keep hunting I suppose

I had the exact same experience and really found Twitter to be pretty useful now that I gave up Facebook for keeping a pulse on my feed. It's a weird thing that I rarely go into Fenix to get the same result. Who knows, psychology.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

couldcareless posted:

Did you have issues with it crashing? I just fired it back up and whenever I use the cube in the bottom right it crashes. It'll show me my apps and if I push any of them, or the cube to collapse, the app crashes.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Syrinxx posted:

Well now that Pushbullet is a mother fucker of a company who is going subscription instead of being a paid app, is there a decent alternative? I just want to SMS from my computer, and PBs 100 message limit is ridiculous.

it still doesnt work properly in M either

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Syrinxx posted:

I've been using the free version of airdroid, but it has so many bugs that I'm hesitant to recommend it :/

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Syrinxx posted:

MightyText is OK.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

TraderStav posted:

Did you have issues with it crashing? I just fired it back up and whenever I use the cube in the bottom right it crashes. It'll show me my apps and if I push any of them, or the cube to collapse, the app crashes.

I got some pretty bad performance out of it and honestly, I'm just ready to go back to a more simple stock launcher, but I really miss that feed.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Syrinxx posted:

Skarsnik posted:

it still doesnt work properly in M either

I think google fixed this bug for 6.01.

Require More Fire posted:

MightyText is OK.

Mightytext has a limit of 500 messages IIRC if you're on the free tier. Unlimited on pay.

Also, I'm going to post this again since I think it got lost on the bottom of the previous page:

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Well, I just got a notification that LinkedIn is "retiring" Pulse on December 31st. gently caress. Can anyone here suggest another newsreader app that has a similar flow?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Does anyone know of an app, widget, xposed module or whatever that would let me force the device into sleep/standby (or I guess also turn off and reboot) without using the physical power button?

I have my tablet mounted in the car such that I can't easily access the power button, and sometimes it fails to go into sleep when it loses external power.

nocal posted:

Google maps? Waze? Here? These have been good apps for years now.

I have all three installed on the above device, they all have their strengths and weaknesses, but I wouldn't say any of them are actually bad in any way.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is there a good battery widget for UCCW or Zooper?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

Why is it bad for them to do a subscription model for features that they incur an ongoing cost to maintain? It seems that's the only viable way for them to offer such things?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Mightytext has a limit of 500 messages IIRC if you're on the free tier. Unlimited on pay.

Really? I've been using mighty text for about a year now and I haven't paid them anything and it's still working fine as ever. Maybe I got in before the pay model and got grandfathered?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

LastInLine posted:

Why is it bad for them to do a subscription model for features that they incur an ongoing cost to maintain? It seems that's the only viable way for them to offer such things?
They are offering a bunch of poo poo I don't want or need, at a very high relative cost. It's like cable television. All I want is sms on my computer. If they absolutely cannot make this happen without some big expensive server infrastructure, then charge a subscription fee I guess. But as it stands I feel like I'm just being oversold, so I uninstalled.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Does anyone know of an app, widget, xposed module or whatever that would let me force the device into sleep/standby (or I guess also turn off and reboot) without using the physical power button?

I have my tablet mounted in the car such that I can't easily access the power button, and sometimes it fails to go into sleep when it loses external power.

Does it have an NFC reader? A NFC tag mounted to the back of your mount with an appropriate trigger could do the trick.

I just got a small pack for a specific situation (easily forward calls to land line when entering basement home office with horrible cell reception). Unfortunately, that seems to be the only meaningful NFC tag task/trigger I can come up with. Does anyone else use them?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

I have all three installed on the above device, they all have their strengths and weaknesses, but I wouldn't say any of them are actually bad in any way.

If it's a Samsung tablet you can enable the assistant menu in the accessibility settings which has an on screen sleep button among other things.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

They are offering a bunch of poo poo I don't want or need, at a very high relative cost. It's like cable television. All I want is sms on my computer. If they absolutely cannot make this happen without some big expensive server infrastructure, then charge a subscription fee I guess. But as it stands I feel like I'm just being oversold, so I uninstalled.

Yeah that I can understand. I only care about SMS and notification mirroring (not even really the actions for them) so I'm not going to pay either. The SMS limit is low but I understand that's an ongoing cost for them so I get it. It's a good thing I use few SMSs per month I guess.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think google fixed this bug for 6.01.

Nah, I still cant send a text via chrome on my 5x

Also if you send something to it from another device, it wont appear until you actual go and open the app

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

LastInLine posted:

Yeah that I can understand. I only care about SMS and notification mirroring (not even really the actions for them) so I'm not going to pay either. The SMS limit is low but I understand that's an ongoing cost for them so I get it. It's a good thing I use few SMSs per month I guess.

The general consensus seems to be that people aren't mad at them for asking for money; people are mad at them for how they went about it. Look for the AMA they did on reddit recently. Lots of really useful feedback that's probably just going to be ignored.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Reggie Died posted:

Unfortunately, that seems to be the only meaningful NFC tag task/trigger I can come up with. Does anyone else use them?

My most used NFC tag:

Disconnect [List of Bluetooth Devices.]

Disconnects my phone from any bluetooth speaker or headset that it might currently be connected to, without turning off bluetooth entirely, so my Moto 360 still operates. Phone can then easily be connected to the next Bluetooth device I activate without having to put my glasses back on and look through the list in the notification shade. One tag by bedside. One tag in bathroom.

Since the app I use (Trigger) stores what gets activated in its record for the tag, I don't have to rewrite the tags when I get a new device, just edit the task that's triggered.

Though lately, I find myself using its Widget to trigger the bluetooth disconnec action more and more often.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Reggie Died posted:

I just got a small pack for a specific situation (easily forward calls to land line when entering basement home office with horrible cell reception). Unfortunately, that seems to be the only meaningful NFC tag task/trigger I can come up with. Does anyone else use them?
I have a couple set so that Android-using guests can just beep-boop a tag to join my Wi-Fi. That's the only use I've found.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 11, 2015

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004

maltesh posted:

Though lately, I find myself using its Widget to trigger the bluetooth disconnec action more and more often.

Yeah, I also use trigger, and have made a Widget for when I leave the office and forget to scan the tag (and thus keep forwarding my calls).

Lately I've only been using the widget...

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there something that does SMS mirroring like PushBullet but with a higher free limit, or MightyText but with a stand-alone desktop client? Or failing that, something with a subscription cost that only includes the SMS mirroring?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

hooah posted:

Is there something that does SMS mirroring like PushBullet but with a higher free limit, or MightyText but with a stand-alone desktop client? Or failing that, something with a subscription cost that only includes the SMS mirroring?

MightyText actually has a standalone desktop client now.

http://mightytext.net/desktop-app

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Huh. They sure don't advertise it, though, because u just went to their site today. Thanks, I'll check it out!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

MightyText actually has a standalone desktop client now.

http://mightytext.net/desktop-app
Had no idea about this, thanks. Works much better than the wonky Firefox integration.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

hooah posted:

Huh. They sure don't advertise it, though, because u just went to their site today. Thanks, I'll check it out!

Syrinxx posted:

Had no idea about this, thanks. Works much better than the wonky Firefox integration.

Yeah it's been out at least a few weeks, and the only way I found out about it was from r/android talking about it yes I read r/android for news please don't kill me .

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Super Dude posted:

So there's nothing I can do to trigger the email the Knox promotion?

Looks like the promotion ends on December 15. Did you ever get an "Because You're a Valued Subscriber, You Get a Free Google Cardboard Virtual Reality Viewer" email from the Times?

My IFTTT/New York Times/Knox Labs promotional Cardboard arrived today. It's large enough to easily accommodate my Nexus 6P, and fit over my glasses.

The New York Times is also offering me two complimentary 12-week gift digital subscriptions for signing up for the aforementioned promotion and giving them no money. Given that the Free Cardboard Viewer offer ends in four days, I expect they probably won't qualify for that. Anybody want them?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Play Music Family plans are now available, at least for me.

Got to settings in the Play Music app and there should be a setting for Family plans.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Lowen SoDium posted:

Play Music Family plans are now available, at least for me.

Got to settings in the Play Music app and there should be a setting for Family plans.

Now to find the other person in the world who uses it instead of Spotify and rake in that $3 a month

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Can you download to listen offline with Spotify?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Now to find the other person in the world who uses it instead of Spotify and rake in that $3 a month

I think it's worth it because that subscription includes Youtube Red.