Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Should I just reformat everything and do a fresh reinstall, or would it be better to learn to live w/o sleep, hibernate and reboot?
Win 10 has a pretty good system refresh tool in the Recovery section of Update & Security. I'd start there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Paranoid Peanut posted:

I dunno if somebody else has run into something similar, but I'm having some weird issues with Win10.

I put together a new machine and installed just fine, straight to Win10 64 Home version. Everything was working fine until it decided to update itself... it proceeded to install the update, but got hung up at 97% for ~8 hrs. After that, I had to manually power off and restart the machine from its physical buttons. While it was booting back up, it displayed a "Returning to previous version of Windows" message.

Now I'm currently experiencing these symptoms:
1. Whenever I restart it, either from the start menu option or from the case's physical button, it'll come back with no network connectivity until I physically shut it down and power it on later. It says the network drivers failed to load, which is bullshit b/c they're the latest drivers and they work fine afterwards.

2. The system won't sleep/hibernate correctly. Either option seem to make it crash silently and render it unable to recover, which forces me to power it on from the case's button.

Should I just reformat everything and do a fresh reinstall, or would it be better to learn to live w/o sleep, hibernate and reboot?

You could spend a lot of time diagnosing the issue or reformat, whichever is faster.

Poster above mentions the refresh tool, may be worth doing first but I've never had a lot of luck.

Alternatively you could try the update again and see if it fixes it.

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

So after 1511 installed, "All your files are where you left them" ... "Notice: CPU-Z was not compatible and was removed". Sure enough, it's gone

Windows just uninstalls third party apps it doesn't like? :tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

oversteer posted:

So after 1511 installed, "All your files are where you left them" ... "Notice: CPU-Z was not compatible and was removed". Sure enough, it's gone

Windows just uninstalls third party apps it doesn't like? :tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

Yeah that's been known.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

GreenNight posted:

Yeah that's been known.

It did that to me too, only for CPU-Z, and there was immediately a newer compatible version on their site. I guess that's actually convenient in a way to let you know, but still kinda hosed up.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just got Windows 10 and I have a question. I transferred about 40 power point .ppt files to the laptop and now every single time I open one of them I get a warning message about it being an unknown publisher. Is there a way to get rid of this warning altogether?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Zero VGS posted:

It did that to me too, only for CPU-Z, and there was immediately a newer compatible version on their site. I guess that's actually convenient in a way to let you know, but still kinda hosed up.

It did that to me and I went to CPU-Z's website only to see that the newest version was the one they just removed. I reinstalled it anyway and didn't see any problems, go figure.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I just got Windows 10 and I have a question. I transferred about 40 power point .ppt files to the laptop and now every single time I open one of them I get a warning message about it being an unknown publisher. Is there a way to get rid of this warning altogether?

If you go to the files' properties (you may have to do this separately for every file), see if there's a box saying the file came from another computer. Try hitting the Unblock button.

At least, that's how it goes on Windows 7...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think it would be preferable for me if I could just tell the computer to never bother me with pop up warnings. God drat.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I just discovered the new Environment Variables dialogue, which has been massively improved. I don't think they've changed that in 15 years.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mu Zeta posted:

I think it would be preferable for me if I could just tell the computer to never bother me with pop up warnings. God drat.

There are security settings for this inside PowerPoint.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Anyone else who had notification issues from Mail noticed that it's been working consistently - or it is just me? Since release, first time with about a week of consistent notifications from both my accounts - and timely. I even sometimes get notifications from my desktop before my iPad, which is a first. Holy poo poo.*

Still can't sync sent items longer than a month though from my Outlook account (yes, fetch mail from 'any' time is selected). Never been able to get that working with W10 mail properly. Gmail syncs OK though.

*Edit: Spoke too soon. Notifications still flaky as gently caress

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 11, 2015

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've had Win10 working fine since the preview version over the summer. No problems whatsoever.

Recently reinstalled clean after upgrading my hard drive, and it's running like garbage. The Start menu keeps just...giving up. I press the Windows key and nothing happens. Clicking the Start button does nothing. No response. I open the task manager, and it's not exactly frozen per se, but it just doesn't update any of the data. I then can't close the task manager either.

Also the new Photos app keeps crashing with "the remote procedure call failed", every time I attempt to open a photo, and when I go to restart, the system hangs with a "GDI+ window" locking everything up.

What the hell is going on? Why is this so much worse all of a sudden? I had no problems before, but reinstall the OS 3 days ago and it's hell.

e: oh and YouTube videos won't play either. They load, the picture shows up, the play/pause icon turns into a pause...and nothing happens and the playhead doesn't move. This persists across Chrome restarts. It's driving me insane.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 10, 2015

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Does the Enterprise edition of Windows 10 affect gaming at all? It's probably not a huge thing, but I recall certain server based windows installs in the past resulting in an extra few frames delay in gaming because of different compositing and poo poo like that.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

pandaK posted:

Does the Enterprise edition of Windows 10 affect gaming at all? It's probably not a huge thing, but I recall certain server based windows installs in the past resulting in an extra few frames delay in gaming because of different compositing and poo poo like that.

I don't think there is a Windows 10 Enterprise, just Pro. Could be wrong but my company is upgrading from 7 Enterprise to 10 Pro. The actual server version will be Windows Server 2016 and isn't out yet.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Eletriarnation posted:

I don't think there is a Windows 10 Enterprise, just Pro. Could be wrong but my company is upgrading from 7 Enterprise to 10 Pro. The actual server version will be Windows Server 2016 and isn't out yet.

There's a Windows 10 Enterprise but you need an SA or an Enterprise Agreement to purchase it, there's no online/in-place upgrades for it.

It's still just a different product key that unlocks Applocker, Windows-to-go USB creator, etc. so there's no way it's going to mess with gaming at all.

It's also not something you'd wind up with accidentally, you'd have to be trying to game on a work-issued PC.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

I've had Win10 working fine since the preview version over the summer. No problems whatsoever.

Recently reinstalled clean after upgrading my hard drive, and it's running like garbage. The Start menu keeps just...giving up. I press the Windows key and nothing happens. Clicking the Start button does nothing. No response. I open the task manager, and it's not exactly frozen per se, but it just doesn't update any of the data. I then can't close the task manager either.

Also the new Photos app keeps crashing with "the remote procedure call failed", every time I attempt to open a photo, and when I go to restart, the system hangs with a "GDI+ window" locking everything up.

What the hell is going on? Why is this so much worse all of a sudden? I had no problems before, but reinstall the OS 3 days ago and it's hell.

e: oh and YouTube videos won't play either. They load, the picture shows up, the play/pause icon turns into a pause...and nothing happens and the playhead doesn't move. This persists across Chrome restarts. It's driving me insane.

Hardware problem maybe?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I have the "remote procedure call failed" in Photo viewer happen in my Insider Preview VM pretty often, tends to happen whenever opening the file takes too long according to whatever arbitrary timeout they have. Under high disk load this can be a thing that occurs pretty regularly and in my case at least isn't actually indicative of any issue other than the error message in question being overly vague.

Since these problems started after the hard drive was replaced, I'd wager that you got a bum drive.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 10, 2015

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pandaK posted:

The enterprise licensed version of Windows 10 is not Server branch based, and for that matter neither were the equivalent enterprise license versions for 8 or 7 or Vista.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
No matter how many hidden check boxes I untick, my computer turns itself on in the middle of the night by itself. This OS sucks.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

pandaK posted:

You're thinking of the 64 bit variants of Windows XP, which were more closely related to Server 2003 than normal Windows XP. I'm pretty sure that was because both the original Itanium version and the later AMD64 version weren't designed for normal end users but instead for those using serious workstations where gaming performance was not a priority but the server edition license model didn't make sense. It was a stopgap solution for a niche market and Longhorn was supposed to be coming out "soon" to do it properly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sheep posted:

Since these problems started after the hard drive was replaced, I'd wager that you got a bum drive.

Any tools that would be able to verify this before I try to RMA it? It's a Samsung SSD.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Zero VGS posted:

There's a Windows 10 Enterprise but you need an SA or an Enterprise Agreement to purchase it, there's no online/in-place upgrades for it.

It's still just a different product key that unlocks Applocker, Windows-to-go USB creator, etc. so there's no way it's going to mess with gaming at all.

It's also not something you'd wind up with accidentally, you'd have to be trying to game on a work-issued PC.

That's interesting, I should have Googled it before I said something. I'm sure we have an enterprise agreement given the size of the company, but the standard offering is still 7 and 10 is only a pilot program so far so maybe it has something to do with that.

But yeah, in any case Enterprise is just going to be Pro with more features - it's not a totally different build or anything.

wolrah posted:

You're thinking of the 64 bit variants of Windows XP, which were more closely related to Server 2003 than normal Windows XP. I'm pretty sure that was because both the original Itanium version and the later AMD64 version weren't designed for normal end users but instead for those using serious workstations where gaming performance was not a priority but the server edition license model didn't make sense. It was a stopgap solution for a niche market and Longhorn was supposed to be coming out "soon" to do it properly.

I think that the Itanium edition had the problem that Itanium's IA-64 architecture didn't do full-performance x86 execution and so it wouldn't be possible to run legacy code as well as a normal machine, although I never used it myself. The biggest problem with the x86-64 version that I can recall was that it was so niche that a lot of hardware had no drivers - the general expectation was that if you were running XP, it was 32-bit.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Splode posted:

No matter how many hidden check boxes I untick, my computer turns itself on in the middle of the night by itself. This OS sucks.

I'd like some modicum of control over updates and I'm sick of my desktop waking itself up at midnight because Windows re-enabled a setting I specifically disabled, something it manages to do often with regards to updates and data collection.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The Update Orchestrator service is what's doing it. It reenables the scheduled tasks that wake up and restart the computer. You have to disable it, which disables updates entirely. It's stupid. No, Group Policy doesn't help.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Splode posted:

Are you sure its windows doing it?

Spotify would turn on mine in the middle of the night until that version got fixed.

Not saying that is your issue particularly, but you may want to look elsewhere for blame and even a fix

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I've got a Dutch language Win 8.1 Pro, I want to use the free upgrade to Win 10 Pro and at the same time ideally also switch the OS language to English. Will this work, or will the upgrade lock me into a Dutch Windows 10?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Stick Insect posted:

I've got a Dutch language Win 8.1 Pro, I want to use the free upgrade to Win 10 Pro and at the same time ideally also switch the OS language to English. Will this work, or will the upgrade lock me into a Dutch Windows 10?
You can just change the display language in pc settings and/or the control panel, in both 8 or 10. Don't know if this has been possible since Vista or if in Windows 7 this maybe was only accessible in non-Home versions or something, but it isn't an issue now. You can switch display languages on the fly, more or less. It shouldn't require more than logging out and then in again, at any point.

Or you can download English language windows 10 install media and plug in your windows 8.1 key during a clean install instead of upgrading, if you don't trust the language pack to do its job, but it's overkill. Just saying your key isn't tied to a particular language at all, like it was on XP.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

You can just change the display language in pc settings and/or the control panel, in both 8 or 10. Don't know if this has been possible since Vista or if in Windows 7 this maybe was only accessible in non-Home versions or something, but it isn't an issue now. You can switch display languages on the fly, more or less. It shouldn't require more than logging out and then in again, at any point.

Or you can download English language windows 10 install media and plug in your windows 8.1 key during a clean install instead of upgrading, if you don't trust the language pack to do its job, but it's overkill. Just saying your key isn't tied to a particular language at all, like it was on XP.

Vista made product keys agnostic towards language and architecture, but MUI language packs were only available for Ultimate and Enterprise editions. 8 made language packs available for all editions.
That said, MUI packs are annoying and you're best off making install media in the language you want and install fresh.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Skarsnik posted:

Are you sure its windows doing it?

Spotify would turn on mine in the middle of the night until that version got fixed.

Not saying that is your issue particularly, but you may want to look elsewhere for blame and even a fix

powercfg /lastwake is useless but the Power Troubleshooter eventlog entry points to some sort of Windows Update bullshit related to an update service which I swear I configured not to wake the loving machine.

Fine wake yourself up but at least put the machine back to sleep after applying the updates. Total waste of power which is expensive in my area. I'll just start shutting it down at night.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Thank you for your replies. Looks like I'll have no problems w/r/t language then.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Figured that if I reactivated the Notifications Center on the taskbar Win10 would then alert me in some fashion that a update had just been downloaded/installed. Nope, still only found out when I happened to need to restart and saw that Updates were ready to be installed. Is it just one of those things where you're not supposed to "know" an Update is in the works unless you happen to feel like checking that day? Or maybe it just waits a long while under "Notify to Schedule Restart" before it actually bothers to notify you?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

oversteer posted:

Got that same upgrade screen. Then it told me it uninstalled the VPN client I use for work. :saddowns:

It also reset all my goddamn 'open this file with ______' preferences for all picture and audio files. :negative:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I feel like Dropbox notifications keep turning themselves back on. Is there a way to say "really, shut the gently caress up, Dropbox" without completely disabling the Notification Center?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I am also having this problem with Notification Center since the update. I think I had probably turned it off entirely before.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I have a copy of Windows 10 N which I've installed both versions of Windows Media Features Package on, and yet Firefox still cannot render h264 videos properly. Is there some additional step I need to take to get it working?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

just for the record, this seems (tentatively) to have been a Flash Player problem. Because of course it was. Haven't noticed the issues (yet) since removing all traces of that on my system.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Nicked off Reddit, but MS really want people on W10:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Rusty! posted:

Nicked off Reddit, but MS really want people on W10:

I run a small computer repair shop, and honestly? I want people on Windows 10 too. It's gonna make my life so much easier when everyone's on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Seeing a lot of weird Group Policy stuff specifically with Win 10 PCs. I've upgraded all the ADMX templates that are appropriate and I'm still seeing inconsistent application of policy on the things.

Also, if you're thinking of adding Win 10 clients to a domain make sure you're using DFS for sysvol replication and not FRS. I doubt this will affect that many organizations but it definitely affected ours since we have a lot of legacy components that haven't been migrated forward effectively overtime. Until you're on DFS you cannot reach SYSVOL from a Win 10 machine.