Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/08/-subaru-wrx-sti-hybrid-rumor/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000595

That is a rumor I can get behind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PaintVagrant posted:

Test driving a FiST thursday night. I assume I will hate it and not buy it, right? Especially not for 0% APR financing and end of year incentives, those are terrible, just like this terrible car I won't buy.

Check out a FoST while you are there. At least when I got mine the price difference was pretty small, and I think the Focus is a much nicer car to live with and drive every day, and has quite a bit more room inside.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

scuz posted:

Great, now I'm worried about the recommended pressure of 44 on my MK4 Golf :ohdear: Or are you talking about only snow tires, cuz that makes more sense.

My $50k Volkswagen Golf S3's recommended pressure is also 44psi on the B pillar, but the manual has more info and 44psi is for full load condition (e.g. 3 adults in the car). 39psi is for normal load condition. Though I wouldn't go down to 32psi even with the crazy snow we get.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That's on some crazy low profile tyres though - I doubt that much pressure is appropriate for a Mark 4

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

GutBomb posted:

My FiST was $20100 at 1.75% (credit union) and it came with a full size spare. Wasn't sure if the spare tire comment above was about the Fiesta not coming with one but they all come with a full size spare.

I got mine for $19,600 at 0% on an end-of-quarter deal this summer, with premium wheels (silly red brake calipers, vroom vroom) and sunroof, but no Recaro's (or nav, I had to forgo the Recaro's to avoid nav to avoid special ordering). It's by far the most magical car I've ever driven, with an E46 330i, Forester, and first-gen Mini Cooper S as my previous daily drivers. With proper winter tires it's more than capable in the slushy stuff, and the pull/sound from the turbo always puts a smile on my face.

End of year discount should put you around or under $20k for a FiST, depending on market and equipment level. Try to push for that price and I guarantee there isn't another new or used car on the market that will exceed this amount of fun, especially with a factory warranty underneath it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Gross

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
So I live in the bay area, and as a result the summer tires are fine year round. However this weekend we're taking a trip to Tahoe, and its looking like there will be some snow falling on Sunday when we'll be driving back. Snow falling will likely mean chains required.

I know I can't use standard tire chains with my FiST, but when they notified me of this when I bought the car, they mentioned that I could use cable chains.

The manual merely says "your vehicle is not approved for use with snow chains." Which source is correct? Can I use cable chains, and if so, which ones?

I've bought snow chains for a car once, about a decade ago, and used them exactly once. So this is a new concept for me.

If all else fails, we can take the GF's Hyundai, but man I'd rather drive the FiST.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'd be ok with it if they did the McLaren thing and made a performance hybrid, but it sounds like more extra complicated poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Am I dumb for considering a NA VW Rabbit? I can't afford a GTi but I really like the body style and interiors, but if they have issues and are expensive to fix with higher miles I'll probably stay away and get a Mazda 2 instead, I just really want a good hatch but it's slim pickins in my price range.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

leica posted:

Am I dumb for considering a NA VW Rabbit? I can't afford a GTi but I really like the body style and interiors, but if they have issues and are expensive to fix with higher miles I'll probably stay away and get a Mazda 2 instead, I just really want a good hatch but it's slim pickins in my price range.

What year and what engine? 2.0 NA is slow as hell.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

'06 to '09. The ones I have been looking at are the 5cyl 2.5, I guess they all have that motor?

Yeah I know the rated mpg's kinda suck, but honestly I just want a decent hatchback with a manual transmission. As far as power I'm used to around 100 HP with a Miata and Protege currently, so power is not that big of a deal to me. I just like the styling of the Rabbit and the interiors from what I've heard are excellent, and also from the reviews I've read the handling and overall driving experience is excellent as well.

The only thing I'm really concerned about is reliability and availability/cost of parts. I know VW's have a rep for lovely electrical systems and I don't really want to deal with poo poo like that if these models are having those kind of issues. Also I don't want to get raped on major services like timing belts and whatnot. I have never owned a VW and have no experience with them whatsoever, but I have always liked the Rabbit/Golf.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

What year and what engine? 2.0 NA is slow as hell.

The 2.5L is loads better than the 2.0. I drove a 2.5 for a week and then bought a 2.0 and it was a tremendous let-down. Looking back, I wish I would have gotten a 2.5L cuz I drove it like a maniac and still got 29MPG combined over the week. The interior ruled, the shifting ruled, the quickness ruled, the handling ruled, it's a swell car.

Timing belts are usually done around 100k, so if you're gonna buy one, get one that's already had the timing belt done, save you a mess of trouble. I'm gonna stick with my 2.0 cuz NA VW engines run forever. If you stick to the 4 or 5 cylinder configuration, there's plenty of room in the engine bay to get most stuff done yourself. Oh, and get a Bentley manual, those things are invaluable.

So yeah, get a rabbit!

edit: I have had no electrical issues in mine, but it's a small sample. VW parts are a little spendy, but I've had great luck on rockauto.com for cheap, effective parts. I'm also lucky in that the A4 platform was very popular round these parts so every junk yard in town has like 3 of my car in it cuz of body damage.

scuz fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 16, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Anyone have recommendations for performance driving courses in the Dallas/Ft Worth area? I've done some googling but would appreciate goon testimonials. Looking to use my own car and get some instruction.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Cellular Suicide posted:

I got mine for $19,600 at 0% on an end-of-quarter deal this summer, with premium wheels (silly red brake calipers, vroom vroom) and sunroof, but no Recaro's (or nav, I had to forgo the Recaro's to avoid nav to avoid special ordering). It's by far the most magical car I've ever driven, with an E46 330i, Forester, and first-gen Mini Cooper S as my previous daily drivers. With proper winter tires it's more than capable in the slushy stuff, and the pull/sound from the turbo always puts a smile on my face.

End of year discount should put you around or under $20k for a FiST, depending on market and equipment level. Try to push for that price and I guarantee there isn't another new or used car on the market that will exceed this amount of fun, especially with a factory warranty underneath it.

Yeah the OTD price on my '16 w/ Ebony wheels was in the high $19ks, shop around and do some research as there are plenty of discounts available for these. It's been fabulous so far, the only thing I've ever driven that's more fun on an onramp was an E60 M5.

edit: if anybody in New England needs a set of snow tires/wheels check these out, I was going to grab them but already had placed an order with TR wholesale that I couldn't back out of.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/wto/5359082827.html

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 17, 2015

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Anyone here have the Mountune "$600 for 90 lb/ft" tune? I am edging closer to pulling the trigger on the FoST and have been reading about factory upgrades a bit.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Another question while I am asking:

I am thinking about buying a 2015 Focus ST (with all the year-end deals). The one I want is red, and has factory black stripes, which are awful. Otherwise its exactly what I want, the base package without recaros, with alloys and summer tires.

I assume the dealer can remove the stripes, but should I be worried about paint mismatching? I looked up the build date, February 2015. So it could have been siting out in the sun for almost 10 months now...

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
It probably isn't an issue but make them do it before taking delivery possibly? Also, look up the focus st turning radius before committing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Does anybody here own a turbo Spark?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

They aren't turbocharged from the factory, so I'm guessing not. :confused: Why do you ask?

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
The 1.4 turbo comes in the Sonic - is that what you were thinking Rhyno?

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Christobevii3 posted:

It probably isn't an issue but make them do it before taking delivery possibly? Also, look up the focus st turning radius before committing.

The turning radius is horrendous but why would this ever be a sticky point?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

PaintVagrant posted:

Another question while I am asking:

I am thinking about buying a 2015 Focus ST (with all the year-end deals). The one I want is red, and has factory black stripes, which are awful. Otherwise its exactly what I want, the base package without recaros, with alloys and summer tires.

I assume the dealer can remove the stripes, but should I be worried about paint mismatching? I looked up the build date, February 2015. So it could have been siting out in the sun for almost 10 months now...

Often these stripes are just vinyl, if the underlying paint is new then it shouldn't take much to remove and it should look perfectly fine.

Not 100% sure on the focus, but I almost pulled the trigger on a stingray with stripes that I would have removed and it ended up being a non-issue had I bought it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timmy Cruise posted:

The 1.4 turbo comes in the Sonic - is that what you were thinking Rhyno?

Yeah I think so. One of my friends is looking at tiny turbo hatches and I swore the Spark came with one.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
I own a 2012 Turbo Sonic and calling it a "turbo hatch" conjures up images of speed that don't exist with that car. The turbo 1.4 doesn't develop any more power than the 1.8 NA, although it does make more torque. So it's no pocket rocket. It is extremely economical, however. Four years of ownership and I haven't had to replace anything critical besides a valve cover and that was under warranty. I get about 34 mpg in mixed driving. There is a weird rattle under the passenger seat sometimes and the cabin fan makes a squeaky noise but other than that, fit and finish is decent. It's way better than any compact Chevy has any right to be.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So quick question for you folks in things other than VW hatches.

Does the Focus and Fiesta have a stupid valve on the clutching system to basically make the clutch engage slower? I always felt in the back of my head that the power never went to the wheels as quickly as it should in the R and turns out there is this thing called a Clutch Delay Valve in newer cars for some stupid reason. Now that I know about it, I thinking about replacing mine with a non valved one so that the clutch is actually engaging when you take your foot off of it. Seems like a great way to wear out the clutch faster than it should in an effort to keep retards from breaking driveline components due to not knowing how to properly drive a manual.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

veedubfreak posted:

So quick question for you folks in things other than VW hatches.

Does the Focus and Fiesta have a stupid valve on the clutching system to basically make the clutch engage slower? I always felt in the back of my head that the power never went to the wheels as quickly as it should in the R and turns out there is this thing called a Clutch Delay Valve in newer cars for some stupid reason. Now that I know about it, I thinking about replacing mine with a non valved one so that the clutch is actually engaging when you take your foot off of it. Seems like a great way to wear out the clutch faster than it should in an effort to keep retards from breaking driveline components due to not knowing how to properly drive a manual.

If there is one in the Focus (at least the ST) it sure isn't noticeable. If I drop the clutch, it engages with a bang and if there is any throttle input the tires will break loose.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It is pretty easy to get the tires to spin from first in my FoST.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Clutch delay valves are very common on dbw cars. It's a bummer.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I haven't noticed it on my FiST where it's really obvious on my BMW. If it's there it's not nearly as restrictive.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

PaintVagrant posted:

Clutch delay valves are very common on dbw cars. It's a bummer.

Is it worth getting rid of? Honestly, it doesn't bother me so much other than it just seems like a great way to make your clutch wear faster. Also from some reading, VW was too cheap to beef up the clutch in the R and it has the same clutch as the GTI.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
My 2016 FoST that just broke the 1000 mile mark is currently sitting waiting to be towed to the dealer. Driving to the gym I heard a loud clank/pop followed by a never ending screeching coming from the front right. My mechanical knowledge in this area is very basic. Any info I should be equipped with before I get to the dealer?

Called the dealer I bought it from and they seemed eager to get me in and give me a loaner car if necessary, so I guess it could be worse. I assume this is just poo poo luck because the car has been an absolute blast until now and I did quite a bit of due diligence before deciding what I wanted. Wish my first post in this thread was more positive!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

veedubfreak posted:

Is it worth getting rid of? Honestly, it doesn't bother me so much other than it just seems like a great way to make your clutch wear faster. Also from some reading, VW was too cheap to beef up the clutch in the R and it has the same clutch as the GTI.

Don't waste your money on the ECS bleeder block. Take your stock one out, pull the clip in the top of the T and pull the center section out. Push out the yellow restrictor in the center with something. Put it all back together and bleed.
$free.

Also, all of the MQB platforms share the same clutch setup minus the TT-RS - which is an upgrade for the others.

Yes, it's worth getting rid of.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 23, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BlackMK4 posted:

Don't waste your money on the ECS bleeder block. Take your stock one out, pull the clip in the top of the T and pull the center section out. Push out the yellow restrictor in the center with something. Put it all back together and bleed.
$free.

Also, all of the MQB platforms share the same clutch setup minus the TT-RS - which is an upgrade for the others.

Yes, it's worth getting rid of.

Good to hear, wasn't sure it was going to be possible to pull the innards out of the stock one. How much of a pain is it to bleed the clutch line after?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You can basically gravity bleed the thing then have someone help you press the clutch a few times. Took me about half an hour.
I bought a speed bleeder to go back in and make it a shitload quicker but the size I thought it might be was wrong. (it's not M7) Make sure you have a 9mm wrench. No one has them. You need one unless you want to bleed it by tightening/loosening with your fingers.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

Mush Mushi posted:

My 2016 FoST that just broke the 1000 mile mark is currently sitting waiting to be towed to the dealer. Driving to the gym I heard a loud clank/pop followed by a never ending screeching coming from the front right. My mechanical knowledge in this area is very basic. Any info I should be equipped with before I get to the dealer?

Called the dealer I bought it from and they seemed eager to get me in and give me a loaner car if necessary, so I guess it could be worse. I assume this is just poo poo luck because the car has been an absolute blast until now and I did quite a bit of due diligence before deciding what I wanted. Wish my first post in this thread was more positive!

The noise went away while I drove up to the tow truck. Still taking it in but what the hell?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
They should do everything in world to make it right so they can avoid lemon law bullshit and because they get to bill out warranty work to the manufacturer which makes them crap tons of money. I wouldn't worry to much. Take the loaner let the techs figure it out.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
Couldn't recreate the noise during a test drive and consequently nothing was done. The service manager seemed convinced that it was a rock or pebble that came out once I put the car in reverse while maneuvering for the tow truck. I wasn't convinced and asked them to lift the car to check for any sign of actual damage or sensors out of alignment that could be throwing off the traction control, etc. They flat out refused to look unless there was some sort of warning light on, which there wasn't. It was also implied that I would not be getting a loaner car if the car had to stay overnight. I wouldn't have let that fly, but the car did seem fine and I drove it home seemingly without issue.

I did get to stand around in the service area for 20 minutes and see first hand why people talk poo poo about dealer service. Ugh.

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

The train in my head just missed it's stop
I don't post on here much but I just wanted to show off my new Christmas present to myself. I finally upgraded the old 04 GTI I had been driving since 06. Saved up all my pennies and upgraded big time to a 16 Golf R. It's the manual option with DCC and NAV, so a pretty rare combo. The Onyx pearl is also such a nice color compared to the standard black on the GTI. In my experience the black is only nice right after you wash it and it seemed to have the softest clear coat i have ever felt with. Man do I love this car and I've only put 120 miles on it. It's sitting at the house as I'm away for the holidays. It's great to go from hot hatch to hotter hatch. The awd is nice for Utah as well. I'm just hoping Miller Motorsports Park will remain open in some capacity so I can take it on the track a few times out of the year and really learn the car.

Sorry for the quick pictures but had to put her up before we left for holiday.
http://imgur.com/a/mhLQF

mrtrunks84 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 26, 2015

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

mrtrunks84 posted:

So I finally upgraded the old 04 GTI I had been driving since 06. Saved all my pennies and upgraded big time to a 16 Golf R. It's the manual with DCC and NAV, so a pretty rare combo. The white is also such a nice color compared to the black GTI. Black is only nice right after you wash it. Man do I love this car and I've only put 120 miles on it. It's sitting at the house as I'm away for the holidays. It's great to go from hot hatch to hotter hatch. The awd is nice for Utah as well.

Sorry for the quick pictures but had to put her up before we left for holiday.
[Imgur](http://imgur.com/a/mhLQF)

That looks fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ltugo posted:

I own a 2012 Turbo Sonic and calling it a "turbo hatch" conjures up images of speed that don't exist with that car. The turbo 1.4 doesn't develop any more power than the 1.8 NA, although it does make more torque. So it's no pocket rocket. It is extremely economical, however. Four years of ownership and I haven't had to replace anything critical besides a valve cover and that was under warranty. I get about 34 mpg in mixed driving. There is a weird rattle under the passenger seat sometimes and the cabin fan makes a squeaky noise but other than that, fit and finish is decent. It's way better than any compact Chevy has any right to be.

Bummer.