Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ABombpk
Jul 31, 2013
I've always wanted to do a trapper but I hear the clear speed sucks and you end up quite squishy.

Any happy mediums out there? Maybe with the new chaos spells?

As an alternative, I love blowing poo poo up. For reference, I've only ever played cyclone, ice crash, and TS Archer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Trapper clear speed was actually extremely good before the prolif nerfs. Fire Trap was up there as probably the 3rd best skill to spread ignite prolif after Flameblast and Detonate Dead, and was the one that was immune to reflect. It also was quite strong against bosses as you could just run in circles throwing down Multitrap - Flame Surge - Trap - Conc Effect for really good single target damage. I haven't heard anything about traps since prolif was nerfed though, as that was the primary trap build that was actually very strong.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Don't sleep on Fire Nova Mine.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Otoh mine laying and detonating mechanics are a pain in the dick.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Oh, they are. It's terrible.

Thinking about the new physical damage spells. There isn't any physical leech that isnt tied to attacks outside of doryani's invitation, right?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Ultima66 posted:

Trapper clear speed was actually extremely good before the prolif nerfs. Fire Trap was up there as probably the 3rd best skill to spread ignite prolif after Flameblast and Detonate Dead, and was the one that was immune to reflect. It also was quite strong against bosses as you could just run in circles throwing down Multitrap - Flame Surge - Trap - Conc Effect for really good single target damage. I haven't heard anything about traps since prolif was nerfed though, as that was the primary trap build that was actually very strong.

Lightning Trap clear speed is wonderful and traps are getting huge buffs on the passive grid, but it sucked hard at killing bosses and ele resist rares, which will probably remain. My solution was a vaal spark trap and hope I place it just right, since vs traps shotgun but only if the source of the projectiles isn't actually underneath the enemy.

funmanguy posted:

Oh, they are. It's terrible.

Thinking about the new physical damage spells. There isn't any physical leech that isnt tied to attacks outside of doryani's invitation, right?

Warlord's Mark and the leech gems themselves would both work.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Count Uvula posted:

Warlord's Mark and the leech gems themselves would both work.

That's a good point. I don't like relying on a curse+blasphemy when Curse Immunity is such a common map mod.

But if the damage is high enough on Blade Vortex, it could be pretty good in a high block/spell block build, with EB/MoM, use hatred and HoF/AA. But it would be more interesting if there wasnt a clear incinerate replacement for all the currency incinerate builds.

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 10, 2015

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Common as hell enemy mod too, I hate curse immune so much it's lame.

I really don't know how to feel/what to think about the new physical spells at all, Really need to seem them at work/mess with them before I'd be willing to try a build.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Physical spells with the poison gem + poison nodes should be interesting too.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

NecroMonster posted:

Common as hell enemy mod too, I hate curse immune so much it's lame.

Anyone out there who still gets to design a Unique? "Your curses ignore immunity" seems like a nice unique to have in the mix. Only worth it for a dedicated curser, but lets them have an option.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I really want to try some kind of melee character with blasphemy but the commonness of curse immunity as a map mod kills my excitement for that. I don't like curse immunity as a map mod, it should be reduced curse effectiveness, but whatever. Going to be doing some kind of chaos damage caster using the new spells for sure, I still haven't quite decided what skill tree though.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I would just swap out the curses for auras on curse immune maps.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I'm considering chaos damage but considering that it seems to want you to do lowlife and LL is usually expensive (anything above like 10-20c is expensive to me) I'm not sure. Maybe I'll try Arc.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

vOv posted:

I'm considering chaos damage but considering that it seems to want you to do lowlife and LL is usually expensive (anything above like 10-20c is expensive to me) I'm not sure. Maybe I'll try Arc.

How do you figure it wants you to do lowlife? There's nothing remotely life related except for the fact that Essence Drain has spell lifeleech built in. If anything, that would encourage a high health build.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Any ideas how Melee Splash works with projectile melee attack skills like Frost Blades?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Vasudus posted:

How do you figure it wants you to do lowlife? There's nothing remotely life related except for the fact that Essence Drain has spell lifeleech built in. If anything, that would encourage a high health build.

I might be misremembering, but don't a lot of the chaos damage nodes also give you a pretty decent chunk of chaos res?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

regulargonzalez posted:

Any ideas how Melee Splash works with projectile melee attack skills like Frost Blades?

Splash is centered on the targeted enemy (meaning the one that's technically getting melee hit). Shift clicking to attack nothing will not proc the splash.

stanislaus
Aug 5, 2008
Ele bow is gonna be insane this next league, and it was already one of the best map runners imo. The leech wheel means you can probably drop LL AND blood magic gems so you can run added cold or whatever else. Plus lightning arrow buffs (lol) and the new bow turrets.

How are you guys planning to build casters this next league? I've been trying to make a noncrit GC build but every tree I come up with is awkward. EB/MoM/ZO will probably not be great anymore after the blood dance nerf, and going acro/eva doesn't make much sense unless you're going crit. I think armor with iron will might be the best but I'm worried it won't do enough damage.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

the melee attack will splash and you'll get the exact same projectile effect you'd get without melee splash. don't do it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I'm thinking poison/bleed dagger flickerstrike.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm thinking poison/bleed dagger flickerstrike.

aren't poison and bleed effects the exact opposite of what flicker strike wants to do?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

MannersPlease posted:

aren't poison and bleed effects the exact opposite of what flicker strike wants to do?

How so? It's possible I'm missing something. Maybe I'll just do reave, flickerstrike can be annoying.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 10, 2015

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
Flicker, iirc, is basically relying on the idea of 1 hit ko to keep up charges. Poison and bleed could be nice bonuses but if you actually invest in them you are gimping your initial hit in some way and I'm not really sure if its worth it. Maybe the poison gem will be nice for this, we will have to see how it works? but for sure, many of the bleed bonuses are based on enemies already bleeding, and I dont think you don't want to be flickering multiple times on the same mob.

Do enemies that die from DoT effects even provide chargers on kill or w/e? My gut tells me no, but that could be wrong, or something they have changed at some point.

Anyway, I've never personally played flicker, so I could be wrong. Good luck!

also,
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1490389

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

MannersPlease posted:

Flicker, iirc, is basically relying on the idea of 1 hit ko to keep up charges. Poison and bleed could be nice bonuses but if you actually invest in them you are gimping your initial hit in some way and I'm not really sure if its worth it. Maybe the poison gem will be nice for this, we will have to see how it works? but for sure, many of the bleed bonuses are based on enemies already bleeding, and I dont think you don't want to be flickering multiple times on the same mob.

Do enemies that die from DoT effects even provide chargers on kill or w/e? My gut tells me no, but that could be wrong, or something they have changed at some point.

Anyway, I've never personally played flicker, so I could be wrong. Good luck!

also,
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1490389

I'm not to concerned about the initial frenzy charges however I didn't even consider the dots might not give me frenzy charges.

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010

MannersPlease posted:

Some Insanely Big Booty from the death throes of darkshrine. I'll miss you~

Oh yeah, that deodre's dropped corrupted with cast speed implicit!

Note the FPS graph on that second picture...that's the difference between standing around 40 bodies and around 400 bodies.

Now I'm regretting that I didn't play dark shrine league, but I just didn't want to start from the beginning all over again. By the way how did you manage to get so many 6 links? And what are those booty chests and how did you get so many?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Until they let you shift+click with frost blades the skill is unusable to me no matter how much damage it does.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

snipermonkey posted:

Now I'm regretting that I didn't play dark shrine league, but I just didn't want to start from the beginning all over again. By the way how did you manage to get so many 6 links? And what are those booty chests and how did you get so many?

That map is the unique map mao kun. 8 dudes spawn that drop booty chests, open 8 chests to summon the map boss. Darkshrines spawn in map, use flat phys roll items to force fracture modifier on map, and now u have 8 + 16 mobs that spawn booty chests (and the map is only coded to spawn the first boss still!)

As for the 6Ls, it's a darkshrine method of combining three completely broken aspects of 3 different leagues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_CFq2uMurM

There is alot of cost upfront in the process - rolling the right maps to proc the ghost touched and corrupting tempest, then RNGing the mod you need when you sacrifice the item, the zana cost to force darkshrine spawns, RNG in t14/t15 maps to spawn chaos damage weapon/currency and ilvl 83+ base to craft chaos damage weapon, time to do all this poo poo, acquiring high level maps in the first place (thanks funman!)
It was real neat to do.

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 10, 2015

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
My first and highest level character, lvl 67, is a Templar and I haven't touched this game in over a year, it looks like I went lightning strike on him. It sucked real bad as I recall. Is that better now?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

lonter posted:

My first and highest level character, lvl 67, is a Templar and I haven't touched this game in over a year, it looks like I went lightning strike on him. It sucked real bad as I recall. Is that better now?

Much better now, its getting a complete rework.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Specifically: it now has built-in GMP at level 1, increasing in # of projectiles as it levels up.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

How does this look for Arc? I figured I'll make a bit of money using it and then try a hybrid chaos caster.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I'm thinking more and more about trying out Viper Strike + Melee Splash now that it (probably?) doesn't suck anymore.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I was going to wait for the next update, but I'm thinking about doing this one anyway. Probably going to do something stupid, like levelling with bows, again. I think the rebalanced low level bows and Siege Balista might help not wanting to kill myself.

Kind of sad they hit Split Arrow again, back to LA/TS I guess if Blast Rain isn't amazing.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

snipermonkey posted:

What Manners said. I did a lot of this too before I got tired of the league. I vendored all my 6ls for divines, and totally ruined my divine:good ventor ratio. I used 12 to get 1 good ventors in darkshrine. That puts me at 25:8.

Ekster posted:

I'm thinking more and more about trying out Viper Strike + Melee Splash now that it (probably?) doesn't suck anymore.

I think it will be good. I think it will scale well with a high attack speed base sword with the highest phy damage possible, crit is even better, but I don't think its really needed tbh. Whirling Blades>Viper Strike until the map is dead.

Also, some of the challenges look quite hard. I REALLY dont want to level zana to 8 for a forth time. And the divination card challenge seems even worse.

God drat, you need to turn in a divination card set with 10 cards in it. Here is the big list of 10 card sets.

Nope

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 10, 2015

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Hamburger Test posted:

I was going to wait for the next update, but I'm thinking about doing this one anyway. Probably going to do something stupid, like levelling with bows, again. I think the rebalanced low level bows and Siege Balista might help not wanting to kill myself.

Kind of sad they hit Split Arrow again, back to LA/TS I guess if Blast Rain isn't amazing.

Poison Arrow got buffed to 37% at level 1 so it might be good for leveling now coupled with the low level bow buff.

I personally don't understand why Tornado Shot got buffed by 10%. It's been amazing since day one, especially because it works so well for both single target and AoE.

I had a crit shock nova build in Darkshrine, my experience was that it was amazing for AoE clearing (as expected) but it was underwhelming for single target. With the current buff it should be a perfectly viable skill.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Bugsy posted:

Until they let you shift+click with frost blades the skill is unusable to me no matter how much damage it does.

If they did this you'd never ever use EK again because frost blades would be superior in every way.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Anyone tried the crit staff version of ice crash? Was thinking about giving it a go for the next league.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
How does my spec look for SRS dudes? This setup would be if I had an alphas howel and a level 2 enlighten which gives me 130 mana running anger/hatred/generosity and haste by itself.

http://exiletools.com/passive-skill...tL7Cf4K_kn-jw==

Here is pre enlighten gem

http://exiletools.com/passive-skill...8bBxewYcLtFfg==

Also for people that have done SRS what defensive setup skills did you find best? I have been running a cwdt 1/summon skeles/enfeeble/phase run. But it doesn't really feel viable. Looking at going CastWhenDamageTaken(lvl10)->FrsotWall(lvl15)->MoltenShell(lvl15)->PhaseRun/Golem. Any tips so I don't get super murdered in higher maps?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
This is what I'm thinking for a chaos caster:

Essence Drain - Controlled Destruction - Void Manipulation - Rapid Decay
Contagion - Controlled Destruction - Void Manipulation - Rapid Decay - Increased Duration
Wither - Spell Totem - Faster Casting - Increased Duration
Temporal Chains - Vulnerability - Blasphemy - Increased AOE(? maybe)

Now, I could use a Sire of Shards and get basically poison nova out of my Essence Drain, plus get a huge boost to damage from the +proj on the sire and an extra link for something like Empower. Or I could use a Consuming Dark and get the ability to poison things with my chaos spells, except I'm not sure that the degen effect will work for poisoning very well. If every tick of degen applied a poison stack, then the +poison nodes would be amazing.

Rakeris posted:

Anyone tried the crit staff version of ice crash? Was thinking about giving it a go for the next league.

Crit Staff Ice Crash is very good. I had one in Warbands and it was a ton of fun and very powerful. Your endgame weapon (Hegemony's Era) is very expensive though, FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

vOv posted:

How does this look for Arc? I figured I'll make a bit of money using it and then try a hybrid chaos caster.

I'd start more like this and then either respec into more damage nodes or add them at high level if survivability is good enough for you. For jewels, you could try Clear Mind (or if you want run Clarity and Herald of Thunder, a +% life/+% lightning red jewel), Anatomical Knowledge (in top spot) and Survival Secrets (or better rare jewel; this one is easy to get).

Ekster posted:

My plan is to do this tree (heading to ]this if all goes well). Whirling Blades-CoC-Wither-Blade Vortex, Viper Strike-Melee Physical-Melee Splash-Multistrike-(Life Leech? Faster Attacks? Added Chaos? Blind? Enhance? Rapid Decay?), Run Warlord's Mark and/or Vulnerability on Blasphemy or self cast. Smoke Mine for boxes/fast getaways to let the poison do its thing. Ice Golem or Chaos Golem. And of course luck into a Bino's Kitchen Knife.

• Locked thread