Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Highblood posted:

Roguelikes should start connecting their games to a server to allow devs to directly gently caress with their players playing

Stop leaking features from IVAN 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Highblood posted:

Roguelikes should start connecting their games to a server to allow devs to directly gently caress with their players playing

TOME?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Highblood posted:

I thought about doing something like this for the game I'm working on, but instead allowing players to connect to other people's games as a kind of 'dungeon master'. The DM could spawn in items or monsters and such, but would be limited in how much they could do by a setting the player set when the game started. Like spawning in a giant high level killer robot would take up a certain amount of a recharging resource, and there might not be enough of it to do that right when the game began, or there wouldn't be enough to spawn two of them at once until the player should be at a point where they would have a chance on the same setting.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 9, 2015

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Highblood posted:

ToME and more recently Legend of Dungeon have started doing that (Legend of Dungeon more being viewers being able to gently caress with people).

Though in ToME it's more the creator turning people into pirates and stuff, still fun though.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
So they updated Nethack. That's...that's something.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The defrosted caveman of roguelikes

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've been kinda interested in Approaching Infinity and the more I read about it the more sad I am. Apparently, after the Kickstarter he signed up with Shrapnel, of all the publishers, who priced the game at $40 and requested the game to have DRM (limited online activations). I don't get their business model, it's like their hate money so they make other people make less money, too. I know poo poo about business but even I would guess the the developer (whose game is apparently really good) would make much, much more money than he is getting now if he removed the DRM and adjusted the price. Seeing him defending the bullshit DRM and price hike on Reddit just left me completely annoyed because there's no way I'm ever paying $40 for a roguelike with limited activation DRM... I wish the dev the best of luck, though, and hopefully he gets some better business partner.

And to quote someone else: I'm reluctant to play the demo because it might be really good and that would just piss me off more.

e: I know he tried to get on Greenlight but it seems like he just deleted his entry because it wasn't getting enough support. Well, no poo poo. Either your game is eye-catching or you need to have fanbase big enough to push the game through. With the game looking a bit worse than some of the more fancy roguelikes like Dungeonmans and a high price it seems like his playerbase is pretty tiny with pretty much every place where the game is being discussed being quite empty. Shooting himself in the foot so badly I can't even.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Dec 9, 2015

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Nah I think it makes a lot of sense to release a 40$ game in a genre where fantastic and incredibly deep games are released for free.

An odd move for sure.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Well I bought Cogmind for 30bux so...

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

I've been kinda interested in Approaching Infinity and the more I read about it the more sad I am. Apparently, after the Kickstarter he signed up with Shrapnel, of all the publishers, who priced the game at $40 and requested the game to have DRM (limited online activations). I don't get their business model, it's like their hate money so they make other people make less money, too. I know poo poo about business but even I would guess the the developer (whose game is apparently really good) would make much, much more money than he is getting now if he removed the DRM and adjusted the price. Seeing him defending the bullshit DRM and price hike on Reddit just left me completely annoyed because there's no way I'm ever paying $40 for a roguelike with limited activation DRM... I wish the dev the best of luck, though, and hopefully he gets some better business partner.

And to quote someone else: I'm reluctant to play the demo because it might be really good and that would just piss me off more.

e: I know he tried to get on Greenlight but it seems like he just deleted his entry because it wasn't getting enough support. Well, no poo poo. Either your game is eye-catching or you need to have fanbase big enough to push the game through. With the game looking a bit worse than some of the more fancy roguelikes like Dungeonmans and a high price it seems like his playerbase is pretty tiny with pretty much every place where the game is being discussed being quite empty. Shooting himself in the foot so badly I can't even.

The whole situation is certainly...a situation, and I will always wonder what might've been with Scallywag: In the Lair of the Medusa, which prior to Approaching Infinity was the only other Roguelike Shrapnel's ever gotten involved with, had they somehow had another/better outlet back then. You'd think it shouldn't be the case really, but there's not at all a wealth of Roguelikes that let you pursue drunken and/or shroom-addled lycanthropy as a legit core strategy...

If nothing else, I'd say it is worthwhile to play his prior free Roguelike projects to have a good general time---each usually has something of a crazy theme dialed to 11, which is handy for posterity given they still hold up to varying degrees:

https://ibol17.wordpress.com/other-projects/

Beyond whatever the future still hopefully holds for IA, he's currently staring down a likely death march on KS for an RTS project that certainly has some interesting concepts afoot, but launched to gain sizzle as opposed with it to leverage in a pyrotechnic flourish as per the general snowball's chance in hell for relative unknowns on KS nowadays so...yeah. His might as well be a quintessential "shoestring budget dev" allegory made manifest complete with the tunnel vision and floundering that begets---he's got ample skills to execute AND good ideas across the core, but the lack of a resource pool, especially in an ongoing sense, has a pronounced effect.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/181428952/not-your-space-customizable-sci-fi-real-time-strat

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

General Emergency posted:

It's just my opinion, but the modernized ASCII look with animations looks way better than AI's graphics, what's more it has no DRM and the price is $30 now with plans to go lower on release. I stopped playing games in Early Access-like models of development until they're finished but if it Cogmind by some accident doesn't happen to completely change into a bad game in the meantime I'll definitely buy it.

In the end, I think Kyzrati has more business sense than Shrapnel because they don't turn off some people immediately by slapping a meaningless DRM on the game.

I guess pricing is always complicated and it must be disheartening for the developer because no matter how much gameplay and love you put into your game, it's just not possible to keep increasing the price until you think these two things are corresponding. So even though I played Dark Souls II for over 300 hours I'm not going to pay more than $60 or whatever the release price was.

That's why I think it's important to know your target audience and set the price accordingly. It's true that roguelikes might a pretty ungrateful genre to try to sell because there are lot of quality games available for free but I also think people are willing to pay a fair price for a good game.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

General Emergency posted:

And there are people who will buy AI for $40. You, and they, are the exception though, and a business model built around selling only to you is probably not going to do great.

My upper limit on a roguelike is $20, which is also my upper limit on AAA games. There are too many sales to want to spend more.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

lordfrikk posted:

In the end, I think Kyzrati has more business sense than Shrapnel because they don't turn off some people immediately by slapping a meaningless DRM on the game.
A rather significant difference between myself and them is I hate DRM, and Shrapnel hates customers.

Regarding AI, the dev did make a pretty big mistake by signing with them, and is reportedly looking forward to the end of the two-year contract, after which I believe things will change. He's pretty strapped for cash and wasn't getting enough support for AI at the time, and they did offer him money up front to finish the game, so there's that... (but when I saw him posting about the DRM request--total facepalm).

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Jordan7hm posted:

And there are people who will buy AI for $40. You, and they, are the exception though, and a business model built around selling only to you is probably not going to do great.

My upper limit on a roguelike is $20, which is also my upper limit on AAA games. There are too many sales to want to spend more.

Yeah that's an upper limit for me too usually but Cogmind just tickled my fancy that special way so I wanted to support it. The devs seemed cool too on roguelike radio.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Kyzrati posted:

A rather significant difference between myself and them is I hate DRM, and Shrapnel hates customers.

Regarding AI, the dev did make a pretty big mistake by signing with them, and is reportedly looking forward to the end of the two-year contract, after which I believe things will change. He's pretty strapped for cash and wasn't getting enough support for AI at the time, and they did offer him money up front to finish the game, so there's that... (but when I saw him posting about the DRM request--total facepalm).

Is that the one where the publisher makes actual physical game boxes? I think someone in this thread said that the guy specifically chose them because he was really into the idea of having a physical copy of his game.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Is that the one where the publisher makes actual physical game boxes? I think someone in this thread said that the guy specifically chose them because he was really into the idea of having a physical copy of his game.
That was one of the ways he justified the decision, yes--they do boxed copies, and paper manuals--but I believe the underlying reason was still about needing money (after getting nowhere on Greenlight for a long while). Publishers willing to front money aren't as common these days, and will naturally lock the dev more tightly into a contract.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I would never spend $40 on a roguelike. Even the ones that are $10-15 rarely have the staying power of the free alternatives.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kyzrati posted:

That was one of the ways he justified the decision, yes--they do boxed copies, and paper manuals--but I believe the underlying reason was still about needing money (after getting nowhere on Greenlight for a long while). Publishers willing to front money aren't as common these days, and will naturally lock the dev more tightly into a contract.

Unfortunately, Shrapnel actually do hate money, and would burn me at the stake for being an economist.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Grognardia must be on par with Moria for the depths of its riches, because I dunno how the gently caress they stay in business otherwise.

I feel bad for the AI dev, but yeah, that price is beyond the pale - not just for roguelikes, but for a lot of games in general.

There are only a tiny, tiny handful of games that I'll pay anything close to full retail any more, and really super niche indie games are nowhere on that list.

The Cogmind price seems similarly bonkers to me, but if it's working for the dev, good on him, I'll check it out when it gets cheaper and more people report on it being rad and/or not rad.

the glow
May 31, 2009

Highblood posted:

The original SSH ADOM server had this setting where anyone who connected to a session could send commands and I think it defaulted to on and you had to turn it off in the config or something (this was ages ago and I've forgotten the specifics), so a lot of newbies unintetionally left it on

So if you were a really nefarious fucker you could spec someone for a while and if you noticed a pause in their play when they went to get a coffee or something, you could do stuff while they weren't looking like quickly open the inventory and swap out their +7 mithril broadsword for a loaf of bread

stoicheian
Aug 10, 2007

victrix posted:

The Cogmind price seems similarly bonkers to me, but if it's working for the dev, good on him, I'll check it out when it gets cheaper and more people report on it being rad and/or not rad.

Its rad.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Shrapnel is worse than Matrix and that's saying a lot.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Jordan7hm posted:

It's hard because there are some roguelikes clearly worth more - in retrospect, $100 for crawl would have been a steal for me, but there would have been no way for me to know that at the time so I still would never have paid it.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

victrix posted:

Yeah it's rad and I think the price will be 20bux on launch. Also you can get it for that price now if you buy a double pack with someone else.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Anyone interested in buying cogmind then? We could get the improved tier and split the cost so we all get it cheaper. If anyone's interested I'll do it otherwise I'm just gonna buy the prime tier

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Highblood posted:

Anyone interested in buying cogmind then? We could get the improved tier and split the cost so we all get it cheaper. If anyone's interested I'll do it otherwise I'm just gonna buy the prime tier

I'm in, but I don't use PayPal. I could Venmo if someone else wants to buy, though.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

uPen posted:

Shrapnel is worse than Matrix and that's saying a lot.

Isn't Shrapnel the publisher that the Dominions 3 devs were using until their contract expired and they could move to steam?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"At 50+ hours, I have not even scratched the surface of this game." --Beta Tester

Welp, I'm sold.

quote:

The Gamers Front Extended Download Service allows registered users to increase their download period from 10 days to 2 years.

User accounts that qualify for the service are:

Premium Account
Military Account
Student Account
Classified Account (subscription)
Elite Account (subscription)
Elite Plus Account (subscription)
Just add the service to any downloadable game.

NOTE: The Extended Download Service is not restriction free. You are not allowed unlimited downloads. Limits will automatically go into effect if the system determines that you are abusing the download service.

Why would any game developer in this day and age who expects to sell more than a handful of copies of their game opt to use a company like this to publish. I can't imagine they're paying all that much up front...

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Isn't Shrapnel the publisher that the Dominions 3 devs were using until their contract expired and they could move to steam?
Yup. They can't fry big fish, so they fry lots of little ones instead.

Jordan7hm posted:

Why would any game developer in this day and age who expects to sell more than a handful of copies of their game opt to use a company like this to publish. I can't imagine they're paying all that much up front...
I'm guessing it was in the lower thousands, but to many devs that's a ton of money. The AI dev in particular seems like he was about to completely run out of cash, and prefers to crawl along under threat of going bankrupt rather than save up from a regular job like a sane startup dev. (Isn't gamedev hard enough without more pressure?) I didn't dream of trying to go indie until I had enough that I could pour much of my savings into it (expenses reached ~$45k by launch) and make sure I could retain control of everything while continuing to develop at a healthy pace after that.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Yeah the limited downloads is definitely something. It's so ridiculous I'm honestly astonished it's actually a thing that still exists in 2015. Why, yes, I want to pay you more so I can actually download a game I bought beyond the standard 10 days.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

lordfrikk posted:

Yeah the limited downloads is definitely something. It's so ridiculous I'm honestly astonished it's actually a thing that still exists in 2015. Why, yes, I want to pay you more so I can actually download a game I bought beyond the standard 10 days.

Hey, the publisher needs to make some money you know, I mean S3 storage is ridiculously expensive, like 3c per GB per month crazy.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I was putting together a list of my favorite roguelikes for the thread, and in doing so I started writing reviews of them, and before I knew it I had a whole mess of them. So let's make a party out of it, and call it

:ohdearsass: The Twelve Days of Roguemas :ohdearsass:

wherein I talk a whole bunch about the whats and whys of the roguelikes I like. I'm not going to be breaking a lot of new ground with this, focusing on major ones on Steam (so yes I'm going to waste a day talking about BoI). But this is a good opportunity to revisit some classics or take another look at some you might have missed the first time around. Everybody ready? 'cause HERE WE GO

On the first day of Roguemas, the RNG gave to me...

A tiny boat on a scary sea

If you're looking at this and thinking oh my God it's H.P. Lovecraft's Pirates!, don't. Turn right around and go play Pirates! or Sea Dogs or something free-form and piratey. If instead you want a mysterious, story-rich world to explore and never fully master, keep reading. Much like the people and creatures you'll meet in this game, Sunless Sea is not at all what it seems.

The game sets you up as a zee captain in the unique and storied Fallen London setting, a Victorian-era underground sea full of cosmic horrors. In creating your character you choose a background and a goal, and then prepare for your first journey. Every port is presented as a series of journal pages, with you choosing actions based on the resources and stats available to you. Everything is abstracted as cards, from cargo to terror to snippets of news, which makes it clear to see what you need to access or complete a story, but hard to tell what is actually valuable before you find a use for it. It's a strange system held up by the quality of the writing, which never becomes tiresome in its quirky melancholy and ominous reveals.

Between ports you sail the sunless seas in real time from a bird-eye view. Your ship has three major resources to manage during voyages. Fuel powers your engines and your deck lights, supplies feed your crew, and terror measures how stable your crew actually is. There's a lot of interplay between these resources that will affect how you sail, which livens up the trips. Running your deck lights burns almost three times more fuel, but sailing in the dark ramps up your terror faster. You can sail past natural lights and coastlines instead, but your crew will be consuming supplies at a constant rate, making long trips costly.

Odds are that mismanaging one of these resources is going to be what kills you, because you burn through fuel at an alarming rate, and terror mounts quickly and is hard to reduce unless you know the game well. It'll be that or one of the sea's monstrous inhabitants, which are almost all more than a match for your sad little starter ship. And when you die, you lose pretty much all of your progress. There's an heir system where you can pass on one item or a bit of money, and once you start an estate you can create a will to pass on more resources. As far as stories and quests go, however, it's back to the beginning, and this is where the game starts to really come apart.

At some point playing Sunless Sea, you're going to realize you're not really making any progress. You're learning the systems and uncovering stories and accumulating... things, but every time you die, and you WILL die, most of that gets wiped out. You can do things faster on the next captain, but the goals in the game are so long-term and require so much work that they come to appear almost impossible. It might be that you need seven of something from the opposite side of the world that you can only get once per trip, or you need one of something that you had and then lost and have no idea how to get again. And the sailing is so slow and the resources so strained, that soon the oppressive and mysterious atmosphere will turn to tedium.

You're not going to beat Sunless Sea, I'd wager, and frustration or boredom will claim you far before that's even a possibility. So why do I recommend it? Because despite all that, I keep coming back to it. Part of me still wants to puzzle out the stories, find new ports, and maybe someday mark down a victory, even if it takes liberal use of the wiki to do it. The stories don't get old, and a dozen hours in there are still more to discover. As long as you understand that you're getting a nigh-endless choose your own adventure book where you sail (and very possibly die) instead of turning pages, there's a good chance you'll get your money's worth.

(Big thanks to goon GaistHeidegger for gifting me this one, too!)

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 11, 2015

SiliconCactus
Oct 21, 2009
Thanks for that review. I've been sitting on the fence on Sunless Sea since greenlight. Looks like next time its on a great sale, I'll be picking it up.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Zombie Samurai posted:

You're not going to beat Sunless Sea, I'd wager, and frustration or boredom will claim you far before that's even a possibility.
when i was reading the sunless sea thread during early access people were just modding the resource use rates to make the game not so tedious and lovely

i didnt feel like the atmosphere was worth the trouble and frustration personally. well, zee you later!

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Awesome! posted:

when i was reading the sunless sea thread during early access people were just modding the resource use rates to make the game not so tedious and lovely

i didnt feel like the atmosphere was worth the trouble and frustration personally. well, zee you later!

If you play sunless sea, just loving cheat. Enjoy exploring the world and seeing all the weird events. Playing the game by its awful rules isn't particularly fun.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Dungeons of Everchange, the newest entry in the "Even Vaguely Broguelike" strain alongside The Ground Gives Way and Forays into Norrendrin, has hit a big v0.7 Alpha release---quite possibly the final Alpha release before it gets kicked into Beta. http://www.darkgnosis.com/ Win and Mac only

The rough gist(not full quoting something that gigantic) with some choice gains include:

quote:

Version 0.7 Alpha brings a bag full of candies. It can be said, that it's almost different game if you compare it to previous version. It is more polished, stable and responsive. Game start to get its final look, and this will be last big alpha update. Next milestone will be Beta release.

GENERAL
Groups added. Few creatures move in packs like animals, or like goblins in wandering war bands. They can be really dangerous, and they come in great variations. Fortunately they not appear that often.
There is rare death included: becoming wraith
There is rare death included: being possessed by Lich Lord
Special death added: teleporting into wall
Added possibility to play without numeric keyboard (kept in mind laptops without numpad). Just use Shift or Control with arrow keys.
Rogue can select one of the 4 races at the beginning of the game
Rogue is born under one of 12 birth signs
And there are over 3000 automated tests, for testing almost every spell in every variation. Hundreds of errors where found and fixed.
ITEMS
Eaten stacked food will not consume complete stack
Tasted stacked food is now split out of stack. Tasted stack of 5 rations, will leave you 4 rations and 1 tasted ration.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Selecting primary and secondary skill will have following effect:
Upon descending to new level your primary skill will be increased to 10+level*2, secondary to 5+level
Your primary skill increasing will be 200% faster, your secondary skill 150% faster.
UI AND VISUALS
Completely redesigned UI
Added mouse support for handling several UI elements
Creatures in darker regions cannot be recognized clearly
Creatures and rogue shouts when hit.
Creature will shout and curse in it's own language. There are Goblinoid, Orcish and Demonic language at the moment.
All creatures got limbs, so combat messages normally show which body part was attacked.
COMBAT
Intelligent creatures in groups will warn each other if being attacked or see something suspicious
Moving away from enemy adjacent to you will give them a free attack
Player can select favorite weapon class giving him +5 accuracy
CREATURES
HUGE TASK: ALL Creatures have ALL their planned attacks fixed, AI implemented.
Some creatures have got vulnerability to specific attack types. For example skeletons are vulnerable to bludgeon attacks.
Not all creatures will spawn in secret rooms.
All creatures are born with one of the birth signs, giving them birth sign effects

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

:ohdearsass: The Twelve Days of Roguemas :ohdearsass:

On the second day of Roguemas, the RNG gave to me...

Two armored deathbots
And a tiny boat on a scary sea

Creepy, intense, and challenging, Teleglitch is a worthy entry in both the roguelike and survival horror genres. Posed like a top-down Doom (or perhaps Quake), Teleglitch sends you through branching, randomized levels, forever dreading what's around the next corner. The top-down perspective is based on lines of sight, so anything not directly in view of you is blotted out by thick, sharp shadows. You start with naught but a pistol and knife, but over the course of the game you collect weapons, ammo, and other junk that can be combined into a huge assortment of gear to help you survive.

And you'll need it, because NOTHING in Teleglitch holds back. You'll be facing waves of mutants, zombies, cyborgs, robots, and far more exotic things. While the first few levels pit you mostly against melee enemies, you'll soon start running afoul of gun-wielding foes that can drop you almost as fast as you can drop them. The limited sight lines become a real terror as you creep down the derelict corridors, tensed for the next shootout. It's one of those games that really, really makes you work to beat it, and it's SO satisfying when you finally pull it off.

This is one of those rare pixel art games that's ugly as sin, but once you start counting bullets in your clip and learning how to construct quad-barreled nailguns, you won't even notice. The minimal graphic design does do it some favors, leaving effective elements of horror to your imagination. The sound design is incredibly on point, with ominous cues and snaps of static in just the right places. And if you like the combat, they even added a series of arenas to blast your way through. There's a lot of secrets to discover, a lot of monsters to fear, and a lot of ways to mow them down. Highly recommended.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Good posting Zombie Samurai.

Teleglitch never really clicked for me, for whatever reason. I keep meaning to go back and take a closer look at it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

Good posting Zombie Samurai.

Teleglitch never really clicked for me, for whatever reason. I keep meaning to go back and take a closer look at it.

It has a really steep difficulty curve, and in a super-unfortunate way: you're going to die several times to the "guard"-type enemies before you even learn to recognize them, and every time you die you have to play through the first two levels all over again because of the dumb checkpoint system (there's a checkpoint on level 3, the first level with guards, but to unlock it you have to reach level 5). That's why I recommended watching a video of someone else play. They don't have to be perfect, they just have to be good enough to show you what the different enemies are like, what their sound cues (if any) are, and how to deal with them. Once you have that knowledge you can jump into the game and have a fun time where you know that your death actually was (mostly) your fault -- you tried to rush down that enemy instead of hold your distance, or you tried to hold the machinegun in reserve even though you were facing a dozen enemies, or you put your explosives down wrong, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Agreed, I got stuck in the same place for a long time. The third screenshot I posted has a little pink guy that looks just like you a little below and right of your character. THAT'S what you need to watch out for, because they have the same guns you do. Once you learn to hate and fear those fuckers, things go a lot smoother.