Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Wait seriously?

Good god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Just googled the cake thing to see what the deal actually was, turns out mystcraft just has to do some instability math for 30+ minutes on a fast computer before you're allowed to play on a new map. :what:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Magres posted:

Wait seriously?

Good god

This was actually a problem when we were using the plus+ pack, we had gregtech in it and it would crash itself if it found itself in the technic folder.
And the second post in the thread is almost nothing but examples of this.
Some mods would actually record your username and other information and upload it to a server so you can be named and shamed later or outright banned from playing the mod.

There's also quite a few mods that are actually bitcoin mining malware as well.

Wolpertinger posted:

Just googled the cake thing to see what the deal actually was, turns out mystcraft just has to do some instability math for 30+ minutes on a fast computer before you're allowed to play on a new map. :what:

What the gently caress? What is the point of that?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Modders have weird ideas about Intellectual Property and Copyright. They will put "DRM" into their files to stop you from using them with modders' mods they don't like. Or Modder's who have opinions they don't like. Or if you use the Technic Pack, utorrent, bitcoin, and Macs at one point.

or in Pixelmon's case, called Jac Gaming....

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

SugarAddict posted:

What the gently caress? What is the point of that?

Everything makes a lot more sense when you realise that mods are almost all written by amateurs, many of whom are under 16.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

No, not to skip the parts.

Cant recall what mod pack i was playing, but a 3 tiered quest ie

get steel
make 3 parts
make hammer
(etc)
I'll take a second shot at it. I have the parts set to a detection task, so they're supposed to just register, but I've noticed that was a problem too.

Glory of Arioch posted:

You could use the ExtraUtilities Last Millenium world for this, perhaps? I don't know if the pack has ExtraUtilities. It's a single void world with minimal accoutrements.
I have a quest for going there already. I suppose I could just strip it out and repurpose that dimension, but I'm going to follow RFtools to its illogical conclusion.

Wolpertinger posted:

Yeah okay to hell with that.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What dimlets do I need to create:

1. A normal day/night cycle with sun and moon
2. The moon to be bright
3. Yet, enclosed spaces will be dark by default

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I think something happened with TE metadata because I am seeing lots of little problems. A magma crucible reward will crash the game when placed, along with one that gives a redstone energy cell. I had to reassign those to shut it up. I held off making a new release because I expected therr were more of them. I guess you found a third.

That would explain why the augments in my resonant machines turned into multimeters when I upgraded.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

SugarAddict posted:

This was actually a problem when we were using the plus+ pack, we had gregtech in it and it would crash itself if it found itself in the technic folder.
And the second post in the thread is almost nothing but examples of this.
Some mods would actually record your username and other information and upload it to a server so you can be named and shamed later or outright banned from playing the mod.

Ah, the memories. :allears:

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Thyrork posted:

Ah, the memories. :allears:

If I remember right, the oh-so clever DRM just checked the name of the folder it was installed, and just changing the name to something other than technic circumvented it without any hassle.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
So if some day I go on a permission spree, can I expect drama because BFSR is on Technic?

Can I ask what the drama was that kept JourneyMap out of Blightfall?

I really do owe it to contact these modders--at least for the ones that just appreciate knowing their stuff is being put to use somewhere.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

SugarAddict posted:

There's also quite a few mods that are actually bitcoin mining malware as well.

Wait, excuse me? I've never heard that before. :psyduck: List please, cuz Google's failing me.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'll take a second shot at it. I have the parts set to a detection task, so they're supposed to just register, but I've noticed that was a problem too.
I actually ran into this issue myself and hunted it down; basically it could be considered a bug in HQM - detection doesn't properly automatically register multi-step quest parts past the first properly for some reason. It's on my mental checklist to avoid, along with crafting quests, when possible, simply because of this annoyance. If you have individual quests gated behind each other, it seems to "detect" all quests at once, so if you had, say, a crafting table behind a quest to make wood planks, and another quest behind that that uses the crafting table, if you just made the third item right out you'd be able to "complete" past all 3 quests one after another even though the first two aren't in your inventory anymore. But whatever's doing the detection in HQM is only checking the first part of a multi-step quest.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 10, 2015

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Wolpertinger posted:

This was actually a fix for a different problem. Mystcraft calculated instability based on default ore gen, so if you changed the ore gen at all, then all mystcraft worlds would be unstable by default. Now it spends some time figuring out what the ore gen actually is and basing instability off of that.

Still terrible.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

So if some day I go on a permission spree, can I expect drama because BFSR is on Technic?

Can I ask what the drama was that kept JourneyMap out of Blightfall?

I really do owe it to contact these modders--at least for the ones that just appreciate knowing their stuff is being put to use somewhere.

To simplify things, yes you can expect drama. Right now no one cares because they don't know your pack exists, as it's technic only and they don't use the launcher. Going out to get permission to include it in your pack (which you absolutely don't need to do) is opening a giant can of worms.

I understand your reasons for wanting to do so, but save yourself the headache and don't bother.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

bigperm posted:

This was actually a fix for a different problem. Mystcraft calculated instability based on default ore gen, so if you changed the ore gen at all, then all mystcraft worlds would be unstable by default. Now it spends some time figuring out what the ore gen actually is and basing instability off of that.

Still terrible.

The algorithm being used must be the worst loving piece of poo poo possible for it to take 30 goddamn minutes.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

McFrugal posted:

The algorithm being used must be the worst loving piece of poo poo possible for it to take 30 goddamn minutes.
Don't think there's anything wrong with the algorithm. To do what bigperm said it does, it would have to generate a large number of chunks in every biome, which could easily take that long.

The problem here is the author not stopping at the point where he realised it would take that long and finding a different solution entirely.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Threep posted:

Don't think there's anything wrong with the algorithm. To do what bigperm said it does, it would have to generate a large number of chunks in every biome, which could easily take that long.

The problem here is the author not stopping at the point where he realised it would take that long and finding a different solution entirely.

Couldn't you just... get the data directly from whatever's doing oregen? Like, ask it what the percentages are for each ore, for each biome.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Bhodi posted:

I actually ran into this issue myself and hunted it down; basically it could be considered a bug in HQM - detection doesn't properly automatically register multi-step quest parts past the first properly for some reason. It's on my mental checklist to avoid, along with crafting quests, when possible, simply because of this annoyance. If you have individual quests gated behind each other, it seems to "detect" all quests at once, so if you had, say, a crafting table behind a quest to make wood planks, and another quest behind that that uses the crafting table, if you just made the third item right out you'd be able to "complete" past all 3 quests one after another even though the first two aren't in your inventory anymore. But whatever's doing the detection in HQM is only checking the first part of a multi-step quest.

This is probably why I haven't been able to unlock the diamond quest in BFSR. It's still stuck at 2/4 required quests, despite having everything else done in the vanilla and tinker's questlines.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Has anyone tried the game Fortresscraft Evolved? Direwolf20 did a spotlight on it and it looks like a cool mix between Minecraft and Factorio. Though it's very feature incomplete and doesn't reward exploration very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTQQ6lLtL04

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
A friend of mine got me a copy so we could co-op it. My impression was that it's a really cool game with a bunch of good ideas that really does play like a mix of Minecraft and Factorio. The main problem is there are vast gulfs of tedium between the cool teching up bits, and there's really never any risk of dying unless you're trying to speed things up.

Example: I decide I want to go mining and get some ore to make stuff.
  • Digging anything takes power from your suit, so you have to run back to base every five minutes.
  • When you find ore, you either spend a while staring at it and getting mainly useless rocks with the occasional ore, or spending all your energy in 5 seconds for 5 ore.
  • Before you can utilize any ores or even figure out what anything does, you have to scan it. It uses way too much power from your suit.
  • Mining machines are powered, but I was only able to make one generator. You can power the miners from your suit - they hold a maximum of about 500 power when your suit starts with 200.
  • Smelting ores takes a while, even with the tier 2 smelter you start with.
  • Making a tier 1 smelter requires five of an extremely rare resource that only spawns on the surface.
  • Making simple poo poo like a battery to double your suit's energy storage takes way too many resources. I spent over an hour trying to get enough stuff to make one battery pack and didn't manage it.

It's a cool game with some really good ideas, but right now it's pretty much gregtech.exe.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there a mod that has a handheld teleport that will take me to fixed coordinates in one place, but always take me back to where I just used it? I was hoping for something like this for BFSR. An example:

1. Player is in overworld at coordinates A, and wants to look at an example smeltery.
2. They use magic item to teleport to tutorial dimension location X.
3. They look at a little thing on building a smeltery.
4. They use the magic item to teleport back to coordinates A in the overworld.
5. Later, they are at coordinates B, and want to look at a reactor.
6. They use the magic item to teleport to tutorial dimension location X again.
7. They look at the reactor exhibits.
8. They use the magic item to teleport to coordinates B.

Is this a thing that exists? I'm just thinking of giving out warp books like candy and having a renewable quest reward one to always take them to the tutorial dimension in case they lose one. That's about it.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there a mod that has a handheld teleport that will take me to fixed coordinates in one place, but always take me back to where I just used it? I was hoping for something like this for BFSR. An example:

1. Player is in overworld at coordinates A, and wants to look at an example smeltery.

Is this a thing that exists? I'm just thinking of giving out warp books like candy and having a renewable quest reward one to always take them to the tutorial dimension in case they lose one. That's about it.

Could you do it with warp books and remove the recipe to create new pages?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

dijon du jour posted:

Wait, excuse me? I've never heard that before. :psyduck: List please, cuz Google's failing me.

I forget who and what, but one of the modpack moderators (the ones that control over all the modpacks in technic) had reports that someone's modpack had an "auto-torch placer" mod that was in fact a russian bitcoin mining virus or something, and the modpack author refused to do anything about it for a few weeks and gave the moderator poo poo so the moderator invalidated his modpack, and the day after the moderator invalided it, the author was bothered enough to fix it.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Wolpertinger posted:

It still does this math, too, even if instability is disabled.

Everyone should just use RFTools, it's by far superior; allows for ingame deletion of dimensions made by RFTools now (no longer do you have to delete folders manually) and while the random dimlet thing is annoying, you can make your own dimlets by getting biome, material or liquid absorbers or, for NPCs, a syringe. It also has a much better mechanic than instability, in that if you're getting mega greedy you need more power to make a dimension.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

McFrugal posted:

Couldn't you just... get the data directly from whatever's doing oregen? Like, ask it what the percentages are for each ore, for each biome.
It's Minecraft we're talking about, every mod implements oregen separately. Unless they're using COFH, in which case he probably could query the values, but only for the mods using COFH.

Last I saw RFTools just had a giant config file where you can specify what each ore is worth, with defaults for all the popular mod ores. Less elegant, far less annoying to deal with, and if someone changes the oregen enough to make a big difference they can also change how much it's worth in a dimension while they're editing files anyway.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Don't JourneyMap waypoints also do this? You could just have a whole bunch of waypoints pre-set, and the mod's already on your modlist. Probably just a config option. Obscurity uses Journeymap and you can TP to waypoints in that. It's explicitly said that it's cheating if you do, but the teleport button's there, and works. Unknown if it works across dimensions but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have a quest for going there already. I suppose I could just strip it out and repurpose that dimension, but I'm going to follow RFtools to its illogical conclusion.

Yeah okay to hell with that.

With the reactor quest.
I think i didnt make all 110 straight away, i made a bit, then made the parts, then made a few more reactor casings.

So i didnt get the quest complete for the reactor casing (until i cheated them in)

BUT, step 2 auto completed as i was building the reactor. (which is awesome)

So is there a list of mods to avoid because they have this retarded drm and malware in them? (ive been downloading packs and trying them out >< not really thinking)

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

So is there a list of mods to avoid because they have this retarded drm and malware in them? (ive been downloading packs and trying them out >< not really thinking)

All of the "DRM" (most?) died after the technic spat cooled down, I think. The only mod that i'd heard might just be terrible enough to still care is GregTech which you probably wouldn't ever want to touch anyway.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Wolpertinger posted:

All of the "DRM" (most?) died after the technic spat cooled down, I think. The only mod that i'd heard might just be terrible enough to still care is GregTech which you probably wouldn't ever want to touch anyway.

not to mention it's an addon to ic2, known dead + gay mod

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I think Greg has given up trying on interfering with other mods because he is so busy making Gregtech 6 into an unplayable nightmare.

Only copper, tin, zinc, lead and bismuth will smelt in a furnace. You must use one of these metals to create a burning box which you must fuel and ignite manually (no GUI).

Then you have to make a crucible, it goes on top of the burning box, to smelt any other ore. But at what temperature? Well... so glad you asked:

Gregtech Wiki posted:

Proper management of temperature is crucial to the Crucible smelting system. Exact temperatures can't be determined until building Thermometer Sensors, which requires Steel. However, recipes can be followed "blind", or new recipes can be created with some math. Fuel use can be planned out for a given smelting operation if the properties of smelting materials are known. Melting point, boiling point, and mass of material components can be shown with enhanced tooltips (F3 + H). For example, the tooltip for Crushed Copper Ore will show two components, Copper (1.222 units) and Stone (1.0 units), along with melting point, boiling point, and mass for each.

The more material thrown into a Crucible, the slower it will heat up, because there is more mass. If some molten material is poured out into a Mold, whatever remains in the Crucible will heat up more quickly because now there is less mass inside. Some alloys (such as Iron) have a smaller mass than the sum of their parts, so the contents will begin to heat more quickly upon reaching the temperature at which the alloy is formed, again due to mass decrease. Heat rate of a given Burning Box is constant, but temperature change depends on the mass.

The Crucible is most in danger of melting down at the end of an operation when all the materials have been poured out and fuel is still burning. Some materials can be used as moderators to limit the risk of destroying the Crucible. A Gold Ingot has very high mass and high boiling point, so it will often absorb enough heat to protect the Crucible. If there is any Copper in the Crucible, Lead can be used instead, otherwise the Gold and Copper could alloy to form Rose Gold.

This is just to smelt anything other than those 5 metals.

In addition, instead of good old EU, Greg has decided that Gregtech actually needs 9 types of energy.

Greg posted:

Air Units, Quantum Units, Magnetic Units, Light Units (Laser), Kinetic Units, Rotation Units, Electric Units (directly convertible to ICē EU 1:1), Heat Units and Cryo Units.

I've been keeping up with it because it's so awful. Still in alpha, but if you started now you might have steel by the time we have a white president.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
I kinda want to play with that. It's absurd.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

bigperm posted:

Gregtech wiki

Wait wait. Iron is an ALLOY? And when forming some alloys, you LOSE MASS? Gregtech doesn't even have realism on its side anymore.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Greg is just trying to save on bandwidth costs by making sure that only 5 people will donlwnload his mod.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So... I completely forgot to set up PermissionsEX when we let the server go live. I read the wiki and know how to set it up, but I don't know where to go to get lists of the various permissions for each group. Do I have to go to each and every mod and manually add them? Because I have like 200 mods in the pack.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

McFrugal posted:

Wait wait. Iron is an ALLOY? And when forming some alloys, you LOSE MASS? Gregtech doesn't even have realism on its side anymore.

Greg threw realism out the window when the handful of people who play GT said it still wasn't grindy enough.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

And the thing you built to do all the smelting can crash and burn if you dont babysit it like a retard?, Sign me up.

So what was the problem with technic to begin with? (the whole reason i never modded minecraft is because im too stupid to to it manually. and technic was the first launcher i got, and blightfall was the first mod i did and it was awesome, and man, some of the mods out there are crap...)

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Meskhenet posted:

So what was the problem with technic to begin with?

You mean in terms of the drama? Part of it was out of this weird fear that modpack creators were somehow taking the credit for the mods and taking control of the creations away from their creators. Part of it was the fact that modpacks allow downloaders to bypass the adfly links and deprive the modders of their sweet, sweet 1/1000 of a cent.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

dijon du jour posted:

You mean in terms of the drama? Part of it was out of this weird fear that modpack creators were somehow taking the credit for the mods and taking control of the creations away from their creators. Part of it was the fact that modpacks allow downloaders to bypass the adfly links and deprive the modders of their sweet, sweet 1/1000 of a cent.

ohh, but i use an adblocker anyhow.... haha oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

and now in TYOOL 2015 modpack distribution platforms are the default way to distribute mods

wrap it up moddailures