Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The best way is to try things for yourself really.

I don't think those plasma guns will be much use though. The Clipper's large hardpoints are on its nacelles, they have notoriously shite convergence for fixed weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

TorakFade posted:

So, for you beta-havers, what happens when you get killed in your SRV? Load screen and back to the ship?

And if you only have 1 SRV in storage because you only have a size-2 hangar, it's back to a station to buy a new one? That could be kind of a hassle on exploring trips, especially outside the bubble. Not everybody wants to forgo the size 5 or 6 slot in their Asp (because basically only the Asp has room for SRVs while still on an explorer fit), 'specially when you need a big fuel scoop and probably shields if the Thargoids are ever to come.
Load screen and back to your ship. If you only have one SRV in the hangar, you have to buy a new one (as "ammo") at the nearest station.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

TorakFade posted:

So, for you beta-havers, what happens when you get killed in your SRV? Load screen and back to the ship?

And if you only have 1 SRV in storage because you only have a size-2 hangar, it's back to a station to buy a new one? That could be kind of a hassle on exploring trips, especially outside the bubble. Not everybody wants to forgo the size 5 or 6 slot in their Asp (because basically only the Asp has room for SRVs while still on an explorer fit), 'specially when you need a big fuel scoop and probably shields if the Thargoids are ever to come.

Yes.

Yes.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

They reeeeally want you to dock at stations every 10 minutes, don't they?

Between the ridiculously low amounts of ammo / getting missions from BBs / rebuy SRVs / having to dock just to see the prices and availability of stuff, it's a bit overdone... it feels that unless I'm at a RES with a full laser fit or out exploring, I'm going back to a station and docking every 15 minutes and it's killing my enjoyment right now.

Let me buy something remotely and have it transported to me damnit, at least as long as I'm within say 30LY of a station that has it. Amazon is on the verge of delivering poo poo to my doorstep with a transport drone in the real world in 2015, and still we can't get a refill of ammo or a loving stored ship delivered to our position in 3315 or whatever

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Maybe don't break your SRV? They don't seem that fragile unless you're barreling into a combat area unprepared like an idiot.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TorakFade posted:

we can't get a refill of ammo or a loving stored ship delivered to our position in 3315 or whatever

something something fuel rat lobbyists

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

So I was trying to build up this viper loadout: http://coriolis.io/outfit/viper/03D3D3D2D3D3D2C1b1b24240m0042592o-.AwRj4yyA.AwhMIyQRnI== but the power numbers don't match up with the in game power numbers. I don't even have the fuel scoop equipped and I'm at 7.99MW retracted and 10.33 deployed where the shipbuilder says I should be lower than that. I can't see what I'm doing wrong. Are the ship builder numbers out of date?

Did you remember to disable your cargo hatch in the modules screen? It doesn't turn off automatically when not in use (that would make too much sense).

Other than that, double-check to make sure you've installed the same grade of parts ingame that you planned in your build, I guess.

E: Just registered that you said you didn't have the fuel scoop installed; looking at the build again, with the fuel scoop off and the cargo hatch turned on it puts you at exactly 7.99/10.33, so that's definitely your issue.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 10, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe don't break your SRV? They don't seem that fragile unless you're barreling into a combat area unprepared like an idiot.

This.

Repair and refuel materials are plentiful so assuming you don't go flying off a 2km cliff keeping your sole rover in good condition is trivial.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

HiroProtagonist posted:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/16A6A5A5D6A5C4C2b2b1b1b020l04044f5n035d292t6b2f.Iw18aQ==.CwBhCYEZpa88VKxAZnCIA===?bn=iClip

In particular, the jump range looks a little skimpy, but it's about on par with my vulture, so I don't know if it's really too terrible if I'm going to be killing things most of the time.

tooterfish posted:

The best way is to try things for yourself really.

I don't think those plasma guns will be much use though. The Clipper's large hardpoints are on its nacelles, they have notoriously shite convergence for fixed weapons.

Well that sucks then. What works well for those large hardpoints then? Gimballed pulse (and multis in the Class 2 hardpoints)? Or just anything gimballed really?

e:

Cowcaster posted:

So I was trying to build up this viper loadout: http://coriolis.io/outfit/viper/03D3D3D2D3D3D2C1b1b24240m0042592o-.AwRj4yyA.AwhMIyQRnI== but the power numbers don't match up with the in game power numbers. I don't even have the fuel scoop equipped and I'm at 7.99MW retracted and 10.33 deployed where the shipbuilder says I should be lower than that. I can't see what I'm doing wrong. Are the ship builder numbers out of date?

IMO you should really fill up that empty internals slot. If nothing else, hull reinforcement you really cant go wrong with.

Regarding power, I had a really hard time figuring out why my poo poo would randomly shut off until I figured out how to optimize the power priority system settings. I'd first make sure they matched coriolis (which looks like it should work) in-game, then play with them a bit with hardpoints extended to see what happens.

I also see shipbuilder giving higher power numbers than what you quoted.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 10, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Sure that's a way, getting good has never hurt anyone - but I think the problem is more general than that, they took a good step with crafting being able to replenish ammo if I recall correctly, but they keep adding reasons to go back and dock at stations.

It should be the opposite because after the 10000th time it's not funny anymore unless you're drunk and bonking on objects/ships/walls while you land (which is, I believe, the right way to play)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This.

Repair and refuel materials are plentiful so assuming you don't go flying off a 2km cliff keeping your sole rover in good condition is trivial.

People say this, but I have found nothing so far. Today I went barreling around on Gakiutl 1 and found nothing, yet again. Welp, except death when I recalled my ship to bombard a prison. :v:

But no fuel, no materials. Is there some sort of trick I have to learn to see them?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Am I the only one who thinks crafting is a bad idea? Like, every drat game these days has some sort of hamfisted half-assed crafting component, do we really need "crafting" in this game as opposed to "varied, purchasable sidegrades like the bi-weave shield generator?"

Edit:

Here are some sidegrades I think might be interesting...

Combative/Shielding Power Distributor: Power Distributor with improved weapon/system recharge but lowered system/weapon recharge.

Rebalanced Thrusters: Thruster module with improved yaw, sideways motion, and max speed, but reduced boost, pitch and roll.

Overclocked Frame Shift Drive: An FSD with increased jump range and fuel consumption. Cannot make hyperspace jumps smaller than 10 LY.

Multi-Scanner: Scanner module with a built-in Detailed Surface Scanner.

It'd be nice to see sidegrades like this, but I feel the ability to craft weapons or modules or whatever is an unnecessary element.

kalel fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 10, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

HiroProtagonist posted:

Well that sucks then. What works well for those large hardpoints then? Gimballed pulse (and multis in the Class 2 hardpoints)? Or just anything gimballed really?
Yeah, gimbals. You'll probably want to gimbal the mediums too, their convergence isn't exactly stellar either.

Luckily your main weapon is your hull.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Am I the only one who thinks crafting is a bad idea? Like, every drat game these days has some sort of hamfisted half-assed crafting component, do we really need "crafting" in this game as opposed to "varied, purchasable sidegrades like the bi-weave shield generator?"

It's typically way more interesting to players to use gameplay for obtaining something in games than just make ingame money to purchase it. The core of the problem really is that Elite needs depth in its gameplay, and most of what we have feels like it should be a placeholder.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I actually love the idea of crafting if it lead to a more dynamic player-led economy.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Elite Dangerous would be great if it was fun, or a game. At the moment it is neither, I have been playing enduring it for 20 hours now and it could be great, the sequel to edge of chaos that I have wanted for years. The BB to USS system is the worst quest mechanic ever, trading is boring and there isn't much else to do as a noob. Certainly no engaging universe or story.

I am going to try out diamond frogs but tbh the feeling I get from this game is life is too short to bother.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

CancerCakes posted:

Elite Dangerous would be great if it was fun, or a game. At the moment it is neither, I have been playing enduring it for 20 hours now and it could be great, the sequel to edge of chaos that I have wanted for years. The BB to USS system is the worst quest mechanic ever, trading is boring and there isn't much else to do as a noob. Certainly no engaging universe or story.

I am going to try out diamond frogs but tbh the feeling I get from this game is life is too short to bother.

I already know you and me are gonna be close buds :getin:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

CancerCakes posted:

nice

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

CancerCakes posted:

I want to believe you, but you're the worst wizard. This tells me something about you

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cathair posted:

E: Just registered that you said you didn't have the fuel scoop installed; looking at the build again, with the fuel scoop off and the cargo hatch turned on it puts you at exactly 7.99/10.33, so that's definitely your issue.

You know, I actually did remember to turn off the cargo hatch, but since you can't open the modules panel from the outfitting screen it wasn't until after I wrote down the numbers. I'm dumb.

Another thing is the shield bank unpowers when I deploy hardpoints even with the priorities set, am I supposed to undeploy in emergencies when I need to recover shields?

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

You know, I actually did remember to turn off the cargo hatch, but since you can't open the modules panel from the outfitting screen it wasn't until after I wrote down the numbers. I'm dumb.

Another thing is the shield bank unpowers when I deploy hardpoints even with the priorities set, am I supposed to undeploy in emergencies when I need to recover shields?

Yup, that's how it's been done up to now. This is changing in 1.5 though, because I'm told modules are going to have a warm-up time when turned back on. As such, I'm also being told that one might not want to get in the habit of fitting shield cells like this since it won't be viable in another 5 days.

As an aside, the module warmup thing also means that fleeing from a battle may become harder, because pretty much everything has to turn off its Friendship Drive in order to fight.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Libluini posted:

People say this, but I have found nothing so far. Today I went barreling around on Gakiutl 1 and found nothing, yet again. Welp, except death when I recalled my ship to bombard a prison. :v:

But no fuel, no materials. Is there some sort of trick I have to learn to see them?

They are really small and can only be targeted from about 50 meters away.

Also fuel/repairs are a total crapshoot because finding phosphorous is pretty hit/miss. Once you have some it's not a huge deal, but it did take me 3 srvs worth of fuel to get my first phosphorous chunk.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Cathair posted:

Yup, that's how it's been done up to now. This is changing in 1.5 though, because I'm told modules are going to have a warm-up time when turned back on. As such, I'm also being told that one might not want to get in the habit of fitting shield cells like this since it won't be viable in another 5 days.

As an aside, the module warmup thing also means that fleeing from a battle may become harder, because pretty much everything has to turn off its Friendship Drive in order to fight.
The only ship I've ever had to turn off the FSD on was the FDL and that won't be a problem in a few days anyway so :shrug:. I'd always recommend switching off your cargo hatch, fuel scoop, automated field maintenance unit, FSD interdictor and docking computer since you don't need those with your hardpoints out anyway so having a startup time on them is irrelevant.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Astroniomix posted:

They are really small and can only be targeted from about 50 meters away.

Also fuel/repairs are a total crapshoot because finding phosphorous is pretty hit/miss. Once you have some it's not a huge deal, but it did take me 3 srvs worth of fuel to get my first phosphorous chunk.

Really? I've found it everywhere. Maybe materials are based on planet type?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

assuming you don't go flying off a 2km cliff

Don't tell me how to have fun

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Don't tell me how to have fun

Damage has more to do with gravity than drop height. On low gravity worlds (less than .5g) you can survive a fall from orbit even with minimal thruster use.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Mercurius posted:

The only ship I've ever had to turn off the FSD on was the FDL and that won't be a problem in a few days anyway so :shrug:. I'd always recommend switching off your cargo hatch, fuel scoop, automated field maintenance unit, FSD interdictor and docking computer since you don't need those with your hardpoints out anyway so having a startup time on them is irrelevant.

Instead of switching them off, just set them all to the lowest priority level. They'll automatically shut off when you deploy hardpoints (assuming your plant can't power everything at once) and come back on when you retract hardpoints.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Shine posted:

Instead of switching them off, just set them all to the lowest priority level. They'll automatically shut off when you deploy hardpoints (assuming your plant can't power everything at once) and come back on when you retract hardpoints.
Yeah, sorry, when I say 'switch off' I mean lower priority.

Incidentally with people likely running more hull stuff and not being as concerned about shields you may want to try and set further priorities since if you get hit with a malfunction on your powerplant it drops you to 50% of your generation for a few seconds. Probably want to make sure you've got your shields, thrusters and boosters at 1, with modules you normally use with hardpoints out as 2 and stuff you don't use in combat set to 3.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Shine posted:

With the power up time this is going to make balancing kind of lovely right? No quick escapes from retracting hard points to regain FSD power?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Just means you oughta pick your battles wisely

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

HiroProtagonist posted:

With a fully kitted Asp and Vulture, I'm thinking my next target is going to be a fairly combat-oriented iClipper. Could some more knowledgeable people take a look at this build and tell me if I'm being dumb and/or about to waste a shitload of time on something garbage?

http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/16A6A5A5D6A5C4C2b2b1b1b020l04044f5n035d292t6b2f.Iw18aQ==.CwBhCYEZpa88VKxAZnCIA===?bn=iClip

In particular, the jump range looks a little skimpy, but it's about on par with my vulture, so I don't know if it's really too terrible if I'm going to be killing things most of the time.

Two large gimballed pulses always.

Two medium gimballed multicannons usually. Or two medium gimballed pulse lasers sometimes.

But two large gimballed pulses always.

Here's the ideal loadout, with empty spaces where you can adjust to taste.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/16A6A5A5D6A5C4C1e1e272704040404-p1------.Iw18aQ==.CwBhCYEZpa88VKxAZnCIA===?bn=iClip

Non prismatics havers can just use the C7 slot instead.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry
Look at this bullshit. Just look at it:

I've never seen anything as ridiculous than that. Notice how this shithole is in a 'boom' state too.

The only reason I didn't immediately dump cargo was that it was 7M credits worth of smuggling & trade missions, and it would push me from 99% Tycoon to Elite. Which it did. :toot:, I guess.

Also, it was a mix of battle weapons, narcotics, and...tea! Which is so very :britain:, I kind of had to.

Anyway, enough of that poo poo, I am now a very wealthy Duke, and am going to join the Diamond Frogs for some random fuckery...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That is only like, 4.43 Lightdays. Not nearly as bad as Hutton Orbital/Proxima Centauri's 0.22 LY. :v:

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That is only like, 4.43 Lightdays. Not nearly as bad as Hutton Orbital/Proxima Centauri's 0.22 LY. :v:

That does put it in perspective.

I knew about Hutton Orbital, largely as somewhere you would never go, but didn't realize it was quite so stupid.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I hate those stations. I've fallen asleep on the approach before and flown hours past them. Swear I ended up at 1k c when I woke up.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

I've done it once. Never again. And I been to Sag A*. For those who haven't seen:

In flight, the distance is measured in light-years on your HUD because it's so far away.

Natsuumi fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 11, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The srv's needed fuel thing is extremely dumb because it doesn't add any gameplay elements at all. If you run out of fuel there is no consequence, you respawn in your ship with everything you've gathered in your srv anyway. The best thing anyone can say about the srv fuel thing is "Oh it isn't so bad" or "fuel is everywhere" but those are just excuses and kinda tells you that the fuel mechanic for the rover is lame. If you run out of fuel you either wait out a timer and your srv explodes or you self destruct and explode sooner and are out the 5k the srv costs and that's it.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Natsuumi posted:

I've done it once. Never again. And I been to Sag A*. For those who haven't seen:

In flight, the distance is measured in light-years on your HUD because it's so far away.

The equivalent of Warp 9.6 (2000c), normal top high warp of the Enterprise D and it still takes the better part of the day to get there.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So aside from nuking the only decent income generator in the game, is 1.5 bringing anything for people that aren't shelling out $60?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

They're not really nerfing it so much as changing it.

It'll be a return to the old Sothis days where there's well paying smuggling missions everywhere. The caveat is that the well paying ones also require you to not get scanned or they fail. More difficulty and more risk but also more consistently good rewards.

• Locked thread