Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't know anything about law in Japan but even if her release doesn't make sense I can't see how it matters, it's all a part of the setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, this whole scenario is contrived as hell. It kind of has to be, as otherwise there would be no murder mystery to solve.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dan7el posted:

What surprised me the utmost in this episode was the reference to Unix. Who uses Unix any more? It's Linux, right? Am I right?

FYI, Unix is to Linux what MS-DOS is to Windows.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

FYI, Unix is to Linux what MS-DOS is to Windows.

What.

You know, every BSD system is Unix. Real Unix. It's not some dead thing a few companies are hanging onto, it's just another OS family.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I know Unix is what ran Jurassic Park....

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

nielsm posted:

What.

You know, every BSD system is Unix. Real Unix. It's not some dead thing a few companies are hanging onto, it's just another OS family.

I meant the DOS prompt, not actual MS DOS, my bad.

My point is it's just a scripting shell that lets you do a whole lot of stuff with a computer without any of the graphical OS stuff.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ViggyNash posted:

My point is it's just a scripting shell that lets you do a whole lot of stuff with a computer without any of the graphical OS stuff.

huh?? bash or sh are the scripting shell, not unix

unix is a family of operating systems

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

ViggyNash posted:

No. That is not correct.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You hosed up Viggy. You made an error and all the dorks will correct you.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
But yea, I might be missing something but I'm pretty sure all the computer speak in this show checks out.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Condiv posted:

huh?? bash or sh are the scripting shell, not unix

unix is a family of operating systems

and tbh, bash is the scripting shell for linux. it's probably something else for actual unices instead of unix-likes like linux

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

A quick guide to modern operating systems. Apologies for any errors.

Microsoft:
MSDOS came first as a command prompt based operating system. The original windows up to 3.1 was a DOS program that gave you graphical user interface functionality. With Windows 95 the relationship was swapped over - the core operating system became windows itself, the computer booted straight into windows. A client emulator gave the user command prompt functionality.

Unix:
Unix is a software standard for operating systems that maintain some level of compatibility with each other, deriving from the original AT&T UNIX. Full compliance with the Single Unix Specification makes you an Unix. Current major unixes include Solaris (used mainly in servers), and Apple's OSX.

Some other OSes implement a related, not quite the same variant of the Unix specifications called POSIX. This includes FreeBSD, and what is commonly known as Linux, which makes them Unix-likes. (Might still be called UNIX by some people).

Unix-y OSes typically are composed of a sort of layered construction. At the core is the kernel, which is the part the directly interfaces with the hardware, and which you have to deal with if you need to install new drivers and stuff like that. Around that is the shell (for example, ksh, bash etc), which you might consider the loose equivalent of MSDOS back in the good old days. Then on top of that you run a Window Manager, which acts much like Windows 3.1. Linux strictly speaking refers to the kernel, because that's the part Linus Torvalds wrote and maintains, but is more often used to describe the whole system - including also the whole suite of little programs that give you the ability to copy files, create folders, little things like that which derive from the GNU project.

Thanks to the glories of POSIX etc, shells and kernels are interchangeable - assuming you find compatible versions, anyway. Bash is only the default shell for Linux and OSX. You could run a different one if you want.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 30, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
neeerrrrrrrd

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Too much talk about OSes and not enough about the mystery of why everyone hasn't accepted the "Dr. Magata was pregnant" theory as correct.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Fangz posted:

Powerful people and money seems to be involved so I'm sure there were strings pulled.

They always do :v:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Ooohkay, looks like I've got this poo poo totally confused in my head.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Episode 9 was interesting. So, the theory that Magata was pregnant is more or less confirmed. And at the end of the ep, they basically say that the killer was Magata. I was suspecting that since during the conversation between Saikawa and Moe earlier when Moe said the killer was the child and Saikawa didn't really answer her about that point to say yes or no, just went on about how they needed to prove how the killer could have left the room. And then he said that he knew for certain that the child was a daughter. How did he know? There had been some theories that the daughter was the one who did the interviews, hence why Magata appeared to be so young in them. But he sounded firmer about it than one would expect.

It fits. I can't see any way around the corpse being that of Magata's daughter. Can't believe I didn't think of this much earlier, or that I didn't pay attention and remember when other people must (surely) have proposed this theory, but the reason that Magata looked so young in the interviews must have been because Magata was preparing to eventually pass off the daughter's corpse as her own, and if she had done the interviews using her own appearance, people would have known for certain that the corpse wasn't hers. This was not a spur of the moment thing. I don't think it really matters whether the daughter was the one who did the interviews or whether it was just an image simulating the daughter's appearance. And the corpse's arms had to be removed, because if they weren't, it would be easy to check the fingerprints. I'm not so sure about why the legs would be removed. Footprints could be checked too, I suppose? If they had records of Magata's footprints.

This all ought to mean that Magata's "sister" has to be Magata. But I do wonder which of Magata's personalities Saikawa is going to be talking to. The screen said "Michiru" but Saikawa just called her "Magata Shiki". The fact that the Magata who started talking at the end of the ep said that "We finally meet" suggests that perhaps the conversation Saikawa had with Magata's "sister" was with a different personality of hers. Or perhaps that's not true, and Magata is just saying that because they have now finally met under her correct identitiy?

I must say, assuming that this theory is right and that the corpse was the daughter's, that is so cold. Did Magata raise her daughter planning to murder her all along? I'd like it if there was an alternative theory I could think of which might contradict the corpse being the daughter, but so far I've got nothing.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

ep9

Reporter girl mentioned that there were 2 women and a bunch of guys. But the only women in the group where Moe and that exchange student. So Magata (or her daughter?) probably left the island there.

e: You can see her walk by in the background when the reporter asks for the way to the lab.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 3, 2015

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Oh, good catch. You must be right, Tamba. I just took another look at the start of episode 9, and I can see another woman there, passing by the people the interviewer stopped to talk to. She has short-cut black hair, is wearing a purple short-sleeved top, and has a handbag over her right shoulder. And we are not shown her face. And checking episode 7, it is definitely, 100% the same dress and handbag and haircut as the one of Magata's "sister".

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Funnily, I guess that also gives us an explanation for the sister's bad English accent, despite supposedly growing up in the US.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The episode also explains the title: The escape happened, when everything became F, i.e. when that timer variable reached its max value of FFFF

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
:ms:I guess? Unless something unforseen happens next (final?) ep I don't think Ill be recommending this to anyone.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i like the little noitamina posters in the corner of that woman's room

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
So:

1. The Director is the only person in the helicopter when he's landing on the island.
2. The team only sees the helicopter once it's already landed.

This implies that Shiki and the Director were working together to create a story about Miki coming in on helicopter. The director lands on the helipad, Shiki sneaks up to the helicopter and they pretend that it's like Miki just landed.

The team processes her and hands her to the Director's wife, who shows Miki to her quarters. There is a thirty minute window of opportunity, in which Miki (Shiki) climbs up to the helipad, most likely by rope, and kills the Director. Most likely, Shiki manipulated the Director into thinking that she would pose as Miki for a while until it was safe for them to escape together. However, she actually intended to kill him and use the entrance of Miki onto the island as a way to naturally slip back out. For Shiki, there's no way to leave the island without drawing attention to herself (just hijacking the helicopter after killing the Director, if she was able to pilot it, would draw too much suspicion and be traceable, and there are too few people coming and going on the island for Shiki to remain anonymous if she left by boat), but if she tricks people into thinking an extra person, Miki, is visiting the island, then it would make sense for that person to eventually leave. She notices that the Director had his journal with him on the helicopter, so she steals it because of all the information it contains regarding their secret affair. Likewise, because the voice on the computer may actually be Shiki's and not her daughters, she has to conceal the sound of her voice as she's disguised as Miki, so she speaks only in English for the duration of her visit.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Do we actually have anything that links Miki to the murder of the Director? I think there's an assumption that the two murders are done by the same person that's not necessarily correct.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

So, is that it? The end?

"meh"

I'm wondering if the whole long illusion machine thing sequence they did in ep 10 is something the anime changed over the novel, since it may just as well just have been a phone call. Only putting the characters into a dream world gave an excuse for slightly more interesting visuals.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

So, is that it? The end?

"meh"

I haven't watched yet but I'm excited to be disappointed.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
That was episode 10.
MAL says Episodes:11

That would seem to suggest that there's one more episode left, right?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

nielsm posted:

I'm wondering if the whole long illusion machine thing sequence they did in ep 10 is something the anime changed over the novel, since it may just as well just have been a phone call. Only putting the characters into a dream world gave an excuse for slightly more interesting visuals.

It's in the live action. I mean, I guess that show could have made it up too, but it didn't do much with it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

This isn't the end because the killer hasn't been caught yet.

Speculation: Magata is going to either kill herself or hand herself in. The theme of this show is really about loneliness in the face of loss. Saikawa's assumption was that Magata is the sort of person who could live 15 years happily alone, who can kill everyone who knows her and just walk out into the world. But this is not the case. She was never alone. Until now.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 10, 2015

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I still say the best part were the OP/ED for the series. Maybe the book is better?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Alder posted:

I still say the best part were the OP/ED for the series. Maybe the book is better?

Moe's car and clothes in the first episode were pretty great, also. Unfortunately, not seen since then.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Hmm. We'll see what happens next week but I think this is going to be one of those mystery shows I didn't mind watching but wouldn't actually recommend to someone else.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

The latest ep really explains a lot. I was getting caught up before in wondering what Magata's motives were and why she would have been planning to murder her own daughter for so long, when maybe she could just have left the lab a different way, and if she'd been planning it all along how she could have been sure that the baby would be a daughter and a lookalike. But that's not how it was at all. She had wanted her daughter to live and to leave the lab, but what really happened was that the daughter either killed herself or requested for Magata to kill her, and Magata had to take the daughter's place in the plan.

It's quite neat and tidy in some respects. It had seemed odd that "Miki" looked older than the person who was supposed to be her older sister, but it makes a lot of sense for the original plan where Magata's daughter would have been the one pretending to be Miki and the corpse would have been Magata.

But there's one thing which is confusing me still. I don't understand why the daughter was the one who did the interviews when right up until the point of the interview with Moe, the plan was for the corpse to be Magata. If the plan had been for the corpse to be the daughter all along, it would make sense for her to do the interviews so that people would think that was Magata. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong and the bulk of the interviews were after the interview with Moe?

I have to agree with speculation above that maybe Magata is going to die in the next ep, since she might not be able to handle being alone. I remember that in an earlier ep when Saikawa was talking to "Miki", Miki briefly got upset and hid her face in her hands. And it seems that Magata's views are that it's not sad for a child to kill her parents, but that doesn't automatically mean she's also totally on board with the idea of a parent killing her child.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Van Dine posted:

But there's one thing which is confusing me still. I don't understand why the daughter was the one who did the interviews when right up until the point of the interview with Moe, the plan was for the corpse to be Magata. If the plan had been for the corpse to be the daughter all along, it would make sense for her to do the interviews so that people would think that was Magata. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong and the bulk of the interviews were after the interview with Moe?

I don't think there was any plan to display the corpse originally. Just get rid of it in some way and have the daughter assume Shiki's identity. To that end, they had the daughter do the interviews as Shiki (with Shiki's help) so that there would be no confusion when the boss started looking like a 15 year old in whatever few public appearances she made thereafter.

On the other hand, I have NO idea how the Miki thing worked for as long as it did. Surely someone involved would have known that there was no younger sister, like, for example, her aunt.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Van Dine posted:

I have to agree with speculation above that maybe Magata is going to die in the next ep, since she might not be able to handle being alone. I remember that in an earlier ep when Saikawa was talking to "Miki", Miki briefly got upset and hid her face in her hands. And it seems that Magata's views are that it's not sad for a child to kill her parents, but that doesn't automatically mean she's also totally on board with the idea of a parent killing her child.[/spoiler]

Every time I see a Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies ending I find it esp disappointing. Also, I thought it was too overly convenient ofc she's a genius and we'll never catch her line was just :ghost:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

How is this a rocks fall, everyone dies ending?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

I don't think there was any plan to display the corpse originally. Just get rid of it in some way and have the daughter assume Shiki's identity. To that end, they had the daughter do the interviews as Shiki (with Shiki's help) so that there would be no confusion when the boss started looking like a 15 year old in whatever few public appearances she made thereafter.

On the other hand, I have NO idea how the Miki thing worked for as long as it did. Surely someone involved would have known that there was no younger sister, like, for example, her aunt.

Her aunt should be the only one who might see that as odd unless her husband said something to make one appear and basically gaslighter her into believing it. That is one loose end in what seems to be a fairly tidy set up.

• Locked thread