Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tae posted:

What's the best sidequest guide for LR?

Also, DLC items seem overpowered so I guess I should turn them off.

The Cloud outfit is amazing for like 90% of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

What's the best sidequest guide for LR?

Also, DLC items seem overpowered so I guess I should turn them off.

There are only two sidequests you can really miss:

When some guys tell you to come back at noon the next day make sure you do it.
When you get a quest that involves reading a journal, read it.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope KH3 has a few scenes of Aerith throwing down and trading blows against Sephiroth. She deserves it, and Cloud's been hogging the dude for at least two games now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Level Slide posted:

I hope KH3 has a few scenes of Aerith throwing down and trading blows against Sephiroth. She deserves it, and Cloud's been hogging the dude for at least two games now.

Or the next Dissidia.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Lightning Returns PC: yea or nay? I've been interested in it since it came out on console, but I'm hearing negative things about the quality of the port.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The White Dragon posted:

Lightning Returns PC: yea or nay? I've been interested in it since it came out on console, but I'm hearing negative things about the quality of the port.

What negative? It's running super smooth for me, and I have an i3-3.4ghz/650 gtx. Steam community forums are the most master-race of master-race that would make totalbiscuit go "that's too much."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

The complaints seem to be, aside from some stupid stuff like not properly recognizing keyboard/controller swapping, that it limits itself to 1080p and 60 FPS so for a lot of people it should be more than playable.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
And even if there's some issues, Square did a good job of cleaning up the PC port of XIII right after it was released. So if there are some kinks they'll probably iron them out soon.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FF13-1 is still a poo poo port that requires you to turn off 2 out of 4 cores to stop frame-skipping.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

One of the final boss's attacks hits you before the attack visually connects now, which didn't happen in the console versions.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tae posted:

FF13-1 is still a poo poo port that requires you to turn off 2 out of 4 cores to stop frame-skipping.

Never had that problem at all :shrug: using 4 cores with zero frameskip.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Cloud has self-esteem issues but he is not actually very mopey.

After he gets fixed he's basically kind of a dorky good guy. He makes decisions and sticks with them, relates and empathizes with other people, and gives justice and friendship speeches to his friends, even making jokes at Vincent about how dour and unhappy Vincent is.

Like yeah, people joke about "Let's Mosey" but it kind of sums up who Cloud is. A country boy who finally figured out who he is.

The country boy thing reminds me of that bit on Crisis Core where Zack first meets Cloud and they instantly hit it off by poo poo-talking each other's hick hometowns.

That game could've been pretty great all around if not for Gackt.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Terper posted:

One of the final boss's attacks hits you before the attack visually connects now, which didn't happen in the console versions.

Who is rushing Lightning's beautiful 1080/60 return???

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Who is rushing Lightning's beautiful 1080/60 return???

This guy.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm sorry Lightning...my laptop can't handle you

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

Uh, that never happened with me

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i would not approve however he appears to be doing it because he loves LR so I forgive him

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

The country boy thing reminds me of that bit on Crisis Core where Zack first meets Cloud and they instantly hit it off by poo poo-talking each other's hick hometowns.

CC did surprisingly good with the known characters, sephiroth and cloud both act like they should prior to ff7.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Starting LR and I feel completely overwhelmed by the amount of options I have available to me, which is not something I expected from the FF13 series at all.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Should I buy the PC version of Lightning Returns?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I remember people swearing up and down that the time limit has no real meaning since you can freeze time all you want, so I'll actually try and do everything in the game my first run.

The most important question is though, how can I put stupid poo poo on Lightning? I've been looking for the option but can't find it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

CC did surprisingly good with the known characters, sephiroth and cloud both act like they should prior to ff7.

Sephiroth in Crisis Core is a legitimately good character. He's kind of an uptight dick but he shows humanity and kindness and you can legitimately understand why Zack thought they were friends before everything went to poo poo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Yeah, getting full completion on your first run is trivial if you take advantage of Chronostasis and make sure not to screw up any of the perma-fail quests (there's only two or three, and they're very specific about their fail states - basically, if someone tells you to show up at a certain time, be there).

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
pro tip for LR though: three star quests almost always give you new unique outfits, so you can prioritize them to make the other stuff easier. some of them require tough boss fights but others are just fetch quests so they're not a big deal to do quickly

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

two star quests usually give you unique hats or accesories which is its own reward

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Is lightning returns any good? I avoided the other two XIII games because they looked horribly linear and boring (and the battle system looked awful). In fact, I've not even played a FF game since 10 now that I think about it, except for a couple of hours in XII before losing interest.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Is lightning returns any good? I avoided the other two XIII games because they looked horribly linear and boring (and the battle system looked awful). In fact, I've not even played a FF game since 10 now that I think about it, except for a couple of hours in XII before losing interest.

i do not know if you will like it but it's open-world and thus neither linear nor boring. i like it a lot!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Oxxidation posted:

CC is pretty great all around. The characters are all, like, themselves, instead of people's images of them. Sephiroth is actually a relatable hero guy before he loses his mind and murders the entire town and later you have two duels with him. Genesis' poo poo isn't that bad, and in the end when he's cured by the Lifestream and he and Zack are just chilling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb6MF0IfsvQunder the apple tree he's the most likable guy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I like LR. The game is unarguably janky and the plot is naff but it has a sense of humor, does some interesting things and it's very different in design from the first two games.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608747

I wrote the OP for a (now closed) thread if you want a lengthier opinion.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Lie? He hated himself so much and was so insecure that he came up with a fake identity. Tifa does have to go through his mind at one point and convince him she cared him, the real Cloud, and that he wasn't worthless. Even at the end, he's still too awkward to tell Tifa how he felt about her. So Tifa had to give her "Words aren't the only thing you can use. You can use your penis." talk to get him to make a move.

Believing that the real Cloud was confident and goofy is the lie.
The fake identity wasn't purposeful, its implied he lightning rodded Zack's lifeforce before it could return to the lifestream and until he gets his consciousness sorted back out he's operating in a strange state of being where Cloud, Zack, and Jenova are all but arguing in his head over what to do at certain points.

The real Cloud ends up learning from some of that allowing him to be confident among his new friends, vis a vis let's mosey.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

CC has one of the best soundtracks in the series, no doubt, and handles it's characters fairly well. the rest is kind of poo poo.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It still had the problem of Aerith being bland perfectly perfect too good for this sinful earth, from what I remember. While in the actual game she had, like, a personality.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

It still had the problem of Aerith being bland perfectly perfect too good for this sinful earth, from what I remember. While in the actual game she had, like, a personality.

She still had a playful personality. They just played up the romance angle a bit.

Fun fact: The Japanese actress for Aerith is married to the Japanese actor for Zack. So at least in the Japanese version they actually do a real good job of sounding like a couple flirting with each other for obvious reasons.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I went to the wetlands or whatever on day 1 just to kill time, and good christ the grunts take like close to 20 minutes like a boss battle and most of my resources.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

He goes catatonic because he gets massively poisoned not because he's super-emo.

And he does the opposite of what you say. After he gets out of his coma he's actually a more chill and rounded individual, not super-emo. He has some moments of angst but they're bookended by other stuff and usually at sensible moments.
I think that's the key. 00s Square seemed really intent on selling Cloud as "emo about Aerithth", and while that is part of his arc, the original game painted a character that had a shitload of issues to deal with and goes through different "phases' throughout the story. And while both approaches may be generally described as "dark", Original Cloud acts more bipolar than full-on mopey, and that results in the game's tone also shifting wildly from silly humor, to dark humor, to dramangst. I think the fear for a lot of people is that Square will focus on their simplified vision of the character.

And of course, there's the fact that while FF7 was textboxes galore, their new productions "have to" be fully animated and voice acted. How they go about direction, both in visuals and acting will be crucial to the remake's tone, even if they follow the source closely in a literal manner.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Tae posted:

I went to the wetlands or whatever on day 1 just to kill time, and good christ the grunts take like close to 20 minutes like a boss battle and most of my resources.

gotta stagger poo poo to beat it quick

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Lie? He hated himself so much and was so insecure that he came up with a fake identity.

His insecurity was a part of his FFVII self but the real reason he was like that was because Hojo's mad experiments had rendered him a drooling, barely coherent and alive mess. You can see it when Tifa finds him in the station. He's still out of it but there are flashes and sound effects that basically confirm what Sephiroth says, to an extent. The Jenova Cells in Cloud reacted to Tifa's presence and glued his mind back together so he could function. Now, these being hostile alien cells, they did a shoddy job, and the recreated Cloud wasn't exactly the genuine article, but it was most certainly not all Cloud's fault. It wasn't just like he said "gee, I'm such a failure, I'll make pretend I was in SOLDIER."

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Baal posted:

Uh, that never happened with me

ff-13 ran perfectly fine the whole way through for me too

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Even in this very thread, from post to post, Cloud changes. He is lightning, the rain transformed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ImpAtom posted:

Fun fact: The Japanese actress for Aerith is married to the Japanese actor for Zack. So at least in the Japanese version they actually do a real good job of sounding like a couple flirting with each other for obvious reasons.

Maaya Sakamoto and Kenichi Suzumura are pretty great.