Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

starkebn posted:

drat, whatever excuse they call physics in this game is so loving poo poo. Look how that Glaive is just noclip flying.

:vomit:

I've been following this thread for laughs for ages now, but I'm just going to have to stop - my brain is just breaking .

It's pretty fascinating how after years of development and some 18 months of actual, "playable" Arena Commander they still don't have something as basic as the mass and flight of the ships down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Romes128 posted:

I'd be willing to bet one of these cultists kills cr in a fit of rage if the game doesn't release or is a pile of hot poo poo. Most likely Ben.

More likely Ben is being set up to be the fall guy to slow the IRS/SEC/Y2K down while Sandi and Chris-R flee to Venezuela.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Dapper Dan posted:

It puts things into perspective at just how good SC is at making money from a good number of people. And it also illustrates just how high the number spent per backer might be.

Some MMO players are tryuly strange creatures. When the first "new" server in Age of Wushu came out we had people hitting the payment processor limit cap (we are speaking around 10k$ a day) complaining on the forum that they where not able to buy more things in a 24h period.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

BMan posted:

Your math is suspect. How does 500k people spending $6 per day equate to $100k per day?

I probably hosed it up massively, but I put as much effort and thought into it as CIG did into making a game as opposed to a concept art generator.

aleksendr posted:

Some MMO players are tryuly strange creatures. When the first "new" server in Age of Wushu came out we had people hitting the payment processor limit cap (we are speaking around 10k$ a day) complaining on the forum that they where not able to buy more things in a 24h period.

Goddamn, yeah. That is pretty hosed.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 10, 2015

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's pretty fascinating how after years of development and some 18 months of actual, "playable" Arena Commander they still don't have something as basic as the mass and flight of the ships down.

That behaviour seem to be a weakness of the CryEngine and probably one of the reason the better CryEngine games feature few and simpler vehicule models. MWO: Online had the ability to ram other mechs in early beta (Allowing 100 tons assault to simply plow trough 20 tons scouts) but they decided to take it out forever (after telling the community they would "fix" it for 6 months) since the physics where pretty much like what we see now in SC, tens of tons of steel machines simply bumping into each others like rubber blimps.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

dogboy posted:

That is wrong in my opinion. Your job as an uncle is to totally spoil them and learn them all the bad words and concepts mommy and daddy will get red faces over once the little ones blurt them out in an proper situation.

They want to build a burning Satan robot instead of what the plans say? Enable them!

They learn all the bad words when I use those words to refer to their Lego creations and themselves.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

Ship with literal swords built into it for ramming decides to ram- is described as "rear end in a top hat." News at 11.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3w85ak/glaive_being_an_asshole_ptu_20k_113/

FrankieGoes posted:

That doesn't say "buggy" to me, it says fundamental flaw or miscalibration in physics engine. If they fix the near massless issue with collisions it would seem that it will totally bone how the thrusters work and likely totally screw up the entire flight model.
Can someone who has actually dared to trawl the brown sea enlighten us on the supposed reason for the complete lack of mass these ships seem to have? Or if it's not something that's discussed a lot there, post the video of the glaive and ask what the shitizens think, just to see their reactions?
The only attempted explanation I've seen so far is 'the thrusters are ridiculously powerful'. But no objects with anything like real-life physics simulation should move like that. Have they forgotten to add proper mass values to all the ships? Or do they simply not have a functioning physics model at all.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I wish. At least they'd have more sensible furniture if that were the case…

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

El Grillo posted:

Can someone who has actually dared to trawl the brown sea enlighten us on the supposed reason for the complete lack of mass these ships seem to have? Or if it's not something that's discussed a lot there, post the video of the glaive and ask what the shitizens think, just to see their reactions?
The only attempted explanation I've seen so far is 'the thrusters are ridiculously powerful'. But no objects with anything like real-life physics simulation should move like that. Have they forgotten to add proper mass values to all the ships? Or do they simply not have a functioning physics model at all.

Mass or not, super powerful thrusters or not - inertia/momentum just doesn't work like what is shown

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Guys I don't really like to backseat mod but someone's got to get this shitshow back on track

Please keep the thread rules in mind:

Louisgod posted:

-Don't use the thread to buy, sell, or trade ships.
-Don't helldump or tell people they're being scammed.
-Don't post anything from the official RSI forums or the Star Citizen Base forums. Just don't even bring them up here EXCEPT if they're developer comments, which are okay to post.
-Don't accuse people of being a J4G, or suggest they introduce themselves in GBS.
-Don't derail the thread with petty drama or infighting.

Now if we all pitch in we can start having some fun :)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Guys I don't really like to backseat mod but someone's got to get this shitshow back on track
Yeah, but until Microsoft comes and removes CRobber from the driving seat (again), that's not very likely to happen…

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Enchanted Hat posted:

an amount of spending too high to be rational is $1
for just $1 a day you can feed a JPG and give it the education it so desperately needs

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

No developer has ever been brave enough to produce a game without trying to make it.

This is the crest of the wave.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

You never cease to amaze.

EDIT: I first thought that you added googly eyes to the sausage. No, that's just the dumb logo (still good placement)

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Holy poo poo that's hosed if true. I personally still have four ships even after getting a bunch of them refunded. It completely obfuscates the number of actual accounts and makes me seriously wonder what the true amount spent per backer is.

It's not true, Disco Lando is an idiot. There's no way it's possible.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

idgi is this a photoshop

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

G0RF posted:

Add "in millions" to your X axis and that's the perfect rejoinder.

Fixed

TBH, I just used a lovely online graph maker. the (u... next to SC was "(unreleased)", but it got cut off.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

AP posted:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

idgi is this a photoshop

100% genuine screenshot plz no steal

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I met David Prowse on Sat, I have known him for a while through various things and the dude is a fuckin legend

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

"Ah, my second morning snack" - Ben Lesnick

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

peter gabriel posted:

100% genuine screenshot plz no steal

just thought i'd check

ben looks a little less greasy than usual

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Xaerael posted:

"Ah, my second morning snack" - Ben Lesnick

Ben's so fat when he's on "Around the 'Verse", he's around the 'verse

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

As an engineering major seeing shitizens try to figure out physics is painful. Also I guarantee you ships behave the way they do because they have zero/miniscule mass (depending on the game engine massless objects can't even be moved correctly, in Source massless stuff behaves very strangely)- look at all the videos of them being flung around and clipped into stuff whenever a buggy is parked underneath a ship's elevator. If they had high mass the ships would barely move but the buggy would be the thing getting flung around and clipped underground.

see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7_J77m3bYw and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8nzdFvnnmY For gameplay purposes I imagine players don't impart a force on ships, but if they did you could probably shove things off the landing pads without even needing to go through the trouble of ramming them with other ships.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 11, 2015

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Xaerael posted:

Fixed

TBH, I just used a lovely online graph maker. the (u... next to SC was "(unreleased)", but it got cut off.

Let's get it moving and ready for the presentation..

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I've never had man boobs, anyone here got any? What's it like?

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Can you imagine how many hours Chris is spending in the editing room for the cutscenes? He's probably gone full Kubrick in his own mind.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Amarcarts posted:

Can you imagine how many hours Chris is spending in the editing room for the cutscenes? He's probably gone full Kubrick in his own mind.
I found some footage of their drive back from Austin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiV3J_e977Q

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AP posted:

Sure it's possible. Everything is possible if you just believe.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Dapper Dan posted:

Well, how many people do you need spending 100k per day? Lets do the math. Assuming the maximum amount of 500k people spending money on this thing per month (I seriously doubt it is more than that, but I could be wrong), they are are spending $6 a day or $180 a month or $2160 a year

Now, lets just keep halving that amount:

250k backers = $12 a day or $360 a month or $4320 a year
125k backers = $24 a day or $720 a month
62.5k backers = $48 a day or $1440 a month
31.25k backers = $96 a day or $2880 a month
15k backers = $200 a day or $6000 a month
10k backers = $300 a day or $9000 a month

Obviously anything at or below 125k is probably too low (nobody is spending over a grand a month on this poo poo. At least I hope not). I suspect the actual range is between 500k - 250k. Any lower than that and the amount spent per person just goes up too high for it to be rational. I just ran the rest to see how much it would take for even a decent amount of people to fund this thing on 100k a day. It puts things into perspective at just how good SC is at making money from a good number of people. And it also illustrates just how high the number spent per backer might be.

You hosed up the math.
At $100K per day / $3M per month if you have 1 million backers you need $3 per month not per day. Hence follows 500k backers $6/month, 250k backers $12/month, etc etc.
I can certainly see 30k fanatical whales each putting $100 per month to keep this charade going a long time.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 11, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MeLKoR posted:

You hosed up the math.
At $100K per day / $3M per month if you have 1 million backers you need $3 per month not per day. Hence follows 500k backers $6/month, 250k backers $12/month, etc etc.
I can certainly see 30k fanatical whales each putting $100 per month to keep it charade running a long time.

Or subscribers...

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Kegslayer posted:

As if these cultists will be deterred by reality.

Look man, Roberts didn't fail us, we failed him by not giving him enough money. We just didn't understand game development. :reddit:

My guess is that right before SC completely derails, Roberts will send out a final Letter for The Chairman a la the Escapist response, but blaming non-believers and publishers like EA (those vipers) for the failure. The cultists will eat it up and from henceforth they'll blame Derek Smart and goons for ruining America or whatever

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
My point is that I don't think they are in any risk of going under any time soon, they can easily tap into enough pockets to keep the normal development poo poo going for years. What they might run out off is "call Gary Oldman up, fly him to London and have him do some more silly poo poo" money and that might not go well at all with Chris and Sandi.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
The only way anyone gets a look at the books is if they go bust. The only way they can go bust is if they don't fire people to cut costs when needed and all the evidence points to them being complete bastards about firing people, so with 2.0 now out or nearly out, I think they are safe for all of 2016.

I know there's a chance of legal stuff happening but there's lots of things that can delay or prevent that, so there's no point even considering it.

But if there's any real chance of them getting into trouble in either area I think Sandi Gardiner will immediately leave. So that's what I'm watching for.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Ben's so fat when he's on "Around the 'Verse", he's around the 'verse

Your momma's so fat that she is Ben Lesnick's belt.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

My favorite part in Wing Commander is yelling at someone in space to pull up.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

MeLKoR posted:

You hosed up the math.
I can certainly see 30k fanatical whales each putting $100 per month to keep this charade going a long time.

Yup, I figured, but like I said I didn't really put all that much effort into it.

IrvingWashington posted:

My favorite part in Wing Commander is yelling at someone in space to pull up.

I watched Spoony's review of Wing Commander and it is hilarious at how bad it is in regards to everything, from how space works to adding mystical poo poo to replacing the cast and script. He could have literally C&Ped the script from one of his games and made it for major audiences with Mark Hamil, but he cast Freddie Prince Jr. and loving Matthew Lillard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Madcosby posted:

My guess is that right before SC completely derails, Roberts will send out a final Letter for The Chairman a la the Escapist response, but blaming non-believers and publishers like EA (those vipers) for the failure. The cultists will eat it up and from henceforth they'll blame Derek Smart and goons for ruining America or whatever

"The world just wasn't ready for my dream" - Christ Roberts.

• Locked thread