Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
lol i remember you postin about that. i was worried that my t450s dock wouldn't work but turns out its v needs suiting w/ fedora

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Barnyard Protein posted:

lol i remember you postin about that. i was worried that my t450s dock wouldn't work but turns out its v needs suiting w/ fedora

weird that's my model. it's okay i'm just using a display port adapter and it does everything i need so who cares.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i tried to test my linux strength by finding an answer to your question, but failed. wouldn't a log like that be tantamount to a keylogger and not exist?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
FYI, upgrading Mint 17.2 to 17.3 took like four clicks and ten minutes. Nothing's exploded yet!

Edit: There still isn't an official OpenJDK 8 package, though.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

CPColin posted:

FYI, upgrading Mint 17.2 to 17.3 took like four clicks and ten minutes. Nothing's exploded yet!

Edit: There still isn't an official OpenJDK 8 package, though.

over here in fedora i just download the oracle rpm and install it but gl doing that in mint lol

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Korean Boomhauer posted:

my friends linux does weird things like the clock just speeds up for no reason and stops ticking altogether and then slowly speeds up again

that sounds like a hardware clock issue or cpu issue

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah if your friend uses gentoo or arch linux their system might be so fast and lightweight that they need to downclock their processor to keep things in sync

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
debian systemd fallout lolz

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=355892

"kde what do you mean youre not going to take on substantial work to support a bad distribution for idiots??? you ruined my pet lennart protest distro by not supporting broken system configurations you never promised to support! why aren't you fixing it?! why aren't you doing all the work????"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
-rw-rw-r-- 1 idiot idiot 0 Dec 10 11:46 $(rm -rf ~)

works for me

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Truga posted:

-rw-rw-r-- 1 idiot idiot 0 Dec 10 11:46 $(rm -rf ~)

works for me

that doesn't have the / in it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
-rw-rw-r-- 1 idiot idiot 0 Dec 10 13:13 /home/idiot/$(rm -rf ~/)

There, fixed

(it's a directory with a ")" file in it)

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
for years i just assumed that [ was a shell builtin but lol there's actually a /usr/bin/[ on my system lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
[ is there so "if [" works in not-bash.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

BobHoward posted:

"kde what do you mean youre not going to take on substantial work to support a bad distribution for idiots??? you ruined my pet lennart protest distro by not supporting broken system configurations you never promised to support! why aren't you fixing it?! why aren't you doing all the work????"

lmao those idiots

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I'm glad i don't have to deal with those people

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

BobHoward posted:

pro click

KDE dev posted:

How do you expect KDE to fix a problem caused by features removed by upower upstream?

retard posted:

[I expect:

1. a bug not to be marked as resolved when it is open.
2. a bug that is due to UPSTREAM (upower) to be marked as such and not mistakingly marked DOWNSTREAM (because of likely animosity - I never seen any report of Ubuntu users discarded in such fashion)

So please mark this bug appropriately, if you do not intend to fix it.

NO gently caress YOU DAD

Edit:

holy gently caress I just got to bottom of that thread :magical:

jre fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 10, 2015

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Truga posted:

[ is there so "if [" works in not-bash.

this poo poo is the height of linux. we've had bash simnce before I was born or whatever and still we can;t just get rid of sh

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

bobbilljim posted:

this poo poo is the height of linux. we've had bash simnce before I was born or whatever and still we can;t just get rid of sh
i think sh is symlinked to either bash, dash or zsh depending on distro on pretty much all distros today

but gotta keep that backwards compatibility man

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Zom Aur posted:

i think sh is symlinked to either bash, dash or zsh depending on distro on pretty much all distros today

but gotta keep that backwards compatibility man

I think sh is still used to reduce memory usage and speedup the init scripts in place of not being retarded and moving to systemd.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

MrMoo posted:

I think sh is still used to reduce memory usage and speedup the init scripts in place of not being retarded and moving to systemd.
i heard people used dash or zsh for that, but i don't really have much experience these days

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

bobbilljim posted:

test and its synonym [ are standard POSIX utilities, all standard utilities are required to be usable via the exec functions even if they're also shell built-ins

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

jre posted:

holy gently caress I just got to bottom of that thread :magical:

it made me remember slashdot. remembering slashdot is like losing 'the game'

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

gabensraum posted:

it made me remember slashdot. remembering slashdot is like losing 'the game'

ok, i'm pretty sure it doesn't count because technically you announced you lost the game just now.

i didn't even remember slashdot existed until just now, though, and i looked and it still uses the same goddamn stylesheet it's had since like 2002, lol.

Thanks City of Glompton for the glorious sig

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

the slashdot "discussion" about devuan's self inflicted problems is every bit as slashdot as you would think it would be, including a visit from a literal insane troll (apk)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

a gem from devuan's mailing list

quote:

Re: [Dng] OT: separate GUI from com…
I should clarify, shui itself would be
designed as an aggregate of programmable widgets. Each one would know how
to render itself, and how to interpret a particular directory and run its
scripts. One such widget would be a text area with the capabilities you
originally described. The value shui provides is that it would make it
very easy for users to swap out parts of the text editor they didn't want,
or mix and match components without having to become developers and without
having to re-compile the application.

I don't think we'd need a typed persistent object system at the end of the
day, since unless all application developers agreed to it, there wouldn't
be a unified type system in the first place. Flat files of bytes should be
just fine for the purpose of developing applications--if the application
needs an advanced type system, it can implement it itself.

1990s apple called, it wants its hyper-componentized gui ecosystem that no user ever asked for (and few experienced) back

and lol flat files. i'm sure you can do better than bento, the opendoc data layer (written by none other than david "mork" mccusker), but flat isn't the answer

this whole loony cult of "everything must be small and minimal and plug together, that is the only true way to be a unix" is really great :allears:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

its the unix philosophy, do three quarters of a thing and do it badly

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
software... is like... a bazaar...

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Barnyard Protein posted:

software... is... bizarre...

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Barnyard Protein posted:

software... is like... a bazaar...

its more of a flea market

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BobHoward posted:

this whole loony cult of "everything must be small and minimal and plug together, that is the only true way to be a unix" is really great :allears:

especially since none of them are willing to try to live and work on Plan 9, a system that actually did that

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

pseudorandom name posted:

its the unix philosophy, do three quarters of a thing and watch some autist make your code messier before forking it on github

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i guess kdbus is officially dead because bus1 is on the way

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

The_Franz posted:

what the gently caress...

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

The_Franz posted:

lol, it's written by the guy who linus got mad at here: http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1404.0/01331.html

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

bobbilljim posted:

otoh if unix shells were ever moving forward we wouldn't suffer with bash or sequence-of-bytes pipes or any of that trash *either* so, so it is a pretty overly specific complaint

pram
Jun 10, 2001
:qq:

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
linus is good

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i mean i'm curious but it would be nice to have some sort of background about wtf is going on beyond "oh lennart and i talked about this around the water cooler at rh, sucks if you weren't physically present for that conversation"

right now it's just some bizarre alien weed growing in the middle of nowhere that i guess everyone's going to kinda cautiously keep their eye on

(want to smoke dat bizarre alien weed)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

bobbilljim posted:

bash and sh are both legacy garbage. you shouldn't be writing scripts in either one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

i mean i'm curious but it would be nice to have some sort of background about wtf is going on beyond "oh lennart and i talked about this around the water cooler at rh, sucks if you weren't physically present for that conversation"

last i heard, lennart had formed some kind of super secret group at RH so he wouldn't have to disclose specific goals or anything to the rest of the company

just give lennart some people and let lennart be lennart