Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Up until the 1920s the average life expectancy was somewhere near 40 so someone in "medieval" times being 36 is like the equivalent of being like 70 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

TommyGun85 posted:

Up until the 1920s the average life expectancy was somewhere near 40 so someone in "medieval" times being 36 is like the equivalent of being like 70 now.

Infant/child mortality drives that average down by a lot. For people who reached maturity, medieval life expectancy was a few decades higher, except for during the Black Death.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

It's not that people are living that much longer today, it's just a lot more people are living long.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

TommyGun85 posted:

More people died at any age. But most people either died as young children or at 60+ years of age. The number of people who actually dropped dead at 40 wasn't that much higher than today. In the Roman army, people aged 35-40 were considered the best, strongest soldiers, so it's not much like being 70.

That said, it seems that in GRRM's world, 14 year olds are thought of as adults and women start worrying about infertility at like 30, so maybe Westeros people have shorter lifespans...

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TommyGun85 posted:

Just precious :allears:

------------

Now comes the fun part where we get to see which actors had better leverage with the producers now that the show isn't beholden to book plotlines anymore. I expect a lot of unnecessary Lannister twins and Margarey.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just can't wait to see how they kill Tommen. I'm hoping sexed to death because that kid does not deserve bad things to happen to him, but we all know he will be killed/assassinated by Titty-Snake or something.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Solice Kirsk posted:

I just can't wait to see how they kill Tommen. I'm hoping sexed to death because that kid does not deserve bad things to happen to him, but we all know he will be killed/assassinated by Titty-Snake or something.

Head removed and replaced with the head of Ser Pounce.

it's like poetry.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

TK-42-1 posted:

it's like poetry.

Someone on here once wrote some fanfic of frankengregor with Ser Pounce's head as one of the judges for Cersei's crimes.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

it's like poetry.

I never thought I'd come across a person worse than gurm. You monster.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

TK-42-1 posted:

it's like poetry.
lmao that's twisted even for grrm, it's so appropriate and yet so awful. Whatever happens, I hope grrm does a good job at making you feel super-guilty for hating the lannisters when tommen dies. By "you" I mean "himself" since it will forever be an unfinished manuscript on GRRM's apple 2 writing environment.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And then with all their children dead Jaime will strangle Cersei and live happily ever after with Brienne....or Pod. whichever.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Reminder that Jaime was the second of the twins to be born, thus he's a younger brother and the one Maggy refers to. Cersei just always assumes it's Tyrion because Cersei's really short-sighted and can only see the obvious.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Unlike gurm, who only writes the obvious.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah cersei would start playing nice if she knew she were in a novel - not realizing that is her tragic flaw.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Reminder that Jaime was the second of the twins to be born, thus he's a younger brother and the one Maggy refers to. Cersei just always assumes it's Tyrion because Cersei's really short-sighted and can only see the obvious.

Tywin slept with women who were not his wife. I wouldn't put it past Martin to parachute a bastard in to do the deed.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I don't think Jaime is gonna come out of the next book* alive :(

*the book is never coming out

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Unlike gurm, who only writes the obvious.

The obvious would be writing anything at all, since he's an author.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Just another trope subverted

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Layers upon layers. This man knows how to tell a tale with out a single word!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
All this time Martin secretly trained to become a painter, because he heard that a picture was worth a thousand words.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

He doesn't even seem that slow anymore since Rothfuss began..
Wait.. Name of the Wind was released 2 years after Feast of Crows, which took twice (2x) as long to write than book 3..
Wise Man's Fear was published when Dance with Dragons release date was announced
Both GRRM and Rothfuss have a beard, and blog where they post stuff about not writing
What does this mean????

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Both would post on here if either was born after 1980.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Both would post to reddit why they don't have time to write full forum posts*

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The comparison between the two is always hilarious to me because gurm actually has interesting story telling and things happen in his books that are harder to summarize than a couple of sentences. With Rothfuss he purposely skips over interesting aspects of the main character's story and spends thousands of pages writing about what is essentially a Quicken data file.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Tywin slept with women who were not his wife. I wouldn't put it past Martin to parachute a bastard in to do the deed.

Who did he sleep with? I don't remember that.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

kcroy posted:

Who did he sleep with? I don't remember that.

well, Shae for one

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Er, pretty sure there's nothing hypocritical with a widower having sex nearly thirty years after his wife has died.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Er, pretty sure there's nothing hypocritical with a widower having sex nearly thirty years after his wife has died.

His position on whores was pretty explicit. And yet he took his own son's sloppy seconds

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

syscall girl posted:

His position on whores was pretty explicit. And yet he took his own son's sloppy seconds

He wanted a good girl, but needed the bad pussy.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

syscall girl posted:

And to complete the symmetry, it was, in fact, Tyrion who got all up in Tywin's guts.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

this_is_hard posted:

well, Shae for one

It's also not far of a stretch that Tywin may have been the Hand who built the tunnel to the brothel or at least knew about it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

AtAt-de-fay posted:

He wanted a good girl, but needed the bad pussy.

Man that line is just so hilariously awful.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

geeves posted:

It's also not far of a stretch that Tywin may have been the Hand who built the tunnel to the brothel or at least knew about it.

Unless Chataya's brothel has been there before Aerys' reign it was almost certainly Tywin. Otoh, it's not that unlikely that the place has always been a high class brothel and that Chataya is simply the most recent owner.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

this_is_hard posted:

well, Shae for one

She was always tywin's lover. She was just playing the long con.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Did Tywin acknowledge shae at all on the toilet? When she woke up all she said was "m'lord" right? Even varys is a lord, she could have been just about to thank him for letting her sleep in that bed, just stuck her there while tywin was making GBS threads himself to death for laughs and to see what would happen?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Why is this thread a weak in? I joined this thread a week in, why is this weak?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Krinkle posted:

Did Tywin acknowledge shae at all on the toilet? When she woke up all she said was "m'lord" right? Even varys is a lord, she could have been just about to thank him for letting her sleep in that bed, just stuck her there while tywin was making GBS threads himself to death for laughs and to see what would happen?

She was naked and had clearly been asleep for longer than the time a typical adult spends on the John.

It's kind of suprising that it never comes up, outside of one Cersei chapter mentioning that she had some guards dump the body. Not even Tyrion gives it a thought after learning that Tysha is wherever whores go.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
well tywin wasnt on the john for a typical adult timeframe, because he was poisoned in a manner that prevented him from making GBS threads.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
So, Jon undeads, Bran starts being a tree, Cersei is awkward as gently caress because bad writing all over and none of us will see Rickon Walnutsbane. I'm ready for the new season. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

rejutka posted:

So, Jon undeads, Bran starts being a tree, Cersei is awkward as gently caress because bad writing all over and none of us will see Rickon Walnutsbane. I'm ready for the new season. Thoughts?

Pretty sure we'll find out about R+L=J&M. Hopefully get to see the Tower of Joy at the same time.