Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

IrvingWashington posted:

My favorite part in Wing Commander is yelling at someone in space to pull up.

Imagine sewing that on your coat lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
"Why yes, I am a complete loving nutjob, why do you ask m'lady?"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

BMan posted:

I'm dying
Great, now I can't stop giggling whenever I think of those two words.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

MeLKoR posted:

My point is that I don't think they are in any risk of going under any time soon, they can easily tap into enough pockets to keep the normal development poo poo going for years. What they might run out off is "call Gary Oldman up, fly him to London and have him do some more silly poo poo" money and that might not go well at all with Chris and Sandi.

Oh, I agree. While I'd like to see it crash and burn in three months or six months, I think they will introduce ship customization and cosmetics, especially for ones that don't exist. They could also release 'rare' or 'limited edition' ones, like $1k for a gold plated shiny whatever. There are still plenty of exploitative funding models they can use while milking people.

Even if they don't, there will still be idiots to fleece. This poo poo could go on for a few more years.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 11, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Star Pokezen, gotta catch them all

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

Imagine sewing that on your coat lol

I think Goatse.cx-izen could be a fun game movie, someone loan me give me some cash for a jpegmocap studio staring Kirk "Open rear end" Johnson

e: He even has a spacename; it's too perfect to fail

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Maybe the terrible patches aren't really patches after all. Maybe they're like the marks burglers leave on houses to let other burglers know what to expect.

I mean, check this out...
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/dec/03/burglars-code-chalk-marks-wall
The symbols are about the same level of crude.

I think I'm on to something here.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

aleksendr posted:

That behaviour seem to be a weakness of the CryEngine and probably one of the reason the better CryEngine games feature few and simpler vehicule models. MWO: Online had the ability to ram other mechs in early beta (Allowing 100 tons assault to simply plow trough 20 tons scouts) but they decided to take it out forever (after telling the community they would "fix" it for 6 months) since the physics where pretty much like what we see now in SC, tens of tons of steel machines simply bumping into each others like rubber blimps.

:rip: Dragon Bowling.

(For those that didn't play MWO, the Dragon is a 60 ton 'Mech that was able to mount a relatively large engine, and thus move pretty fast. But PGI had a typo in it's mech definition XML file which set the Dragon's mass to 100 tons, same as the max weight assault 'Mechs. Except unlike real 100 tonners, it could haul rear end, resulting in being able to just run in circles, continually knocking people over non stop so they couldn't even do anything. It was amazing).

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Dapper Dan posted:

Oh, I agree. While I'd like to see it crash and burn in three months or six months, I think they will introduce ship customization and cosmetics, especially for ones that don't exist. They could also release 'rare' or 'limited edition' ones, like $1k for a gold plated shiny whatever. There are still plenty of exploitative funding models they can use while milking people.

Even if they don't, there will still be idiots to fleece. This poo poo could go on for a few more years.

Alternatively, what if the whales start running out of money. Or they get distracted by the next shiny charlatan.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Madcosby posted:

My guess is that right before SC completely derails, Roberts will send out a final Letter for The Chairman a la the Escapist response, but blaming non-believers and publishers like EA (those vipers) for the failure. The cultists will eat it up and from henceforth they'll blame Derek Smart and goons for ruining America or whatever

If this happen, the project will go down in history as the "Greatest game never made" and transcend its amorphous poo poo miasma into shining dream stuff. Having never been released, it will never suck and forever stay pure and perfect, reaching cult status like Jodorowsky Dune and the RCAF Avro Arrow project.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

(For those that didn't play MWO, the Dragon is a 60 ton 'Mech that was able to mount a relatively large engine, and thus move pretty fast. But PGI had a typo in it's mech definition XML file which set the Dragon's mass to 100 tons, same as the max weight assault 'Mechs. Except unlike real 100 tonners, it could haul rear end, resulting in being able to just run in circles, continually knocking people over non stop so they couldn't even do anything. It was amazing).

I remember this quite well, and the ragdolls of the mechs were like stuffed animals in terms of weight.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

SirPhoebos posted:

Alternatively, what if the whales start running out of money. Or they get distracted by the next shiny charlatan.

If CIG comes out and says "we either charge $25/month or the whole thing falls apart" I have no doubt there are enough people that won't just let go hundreds or thousands of dollars and at least 120k backers will be willing to cough that up for years to keep the Vision alive. You are seeing it already with all the "plenty of AAA games take a decade to make" stuff. They just have to keep feeding them slop and commercials a dozen hours per week and call that open development, give the illusion of progress and they can keep milking this cow until they eventually call it quits and poo poo something up that will be an immense disappointment to everyone involved. The whales will swear it's the most delicious turd they ever tasted but eventually even they will discretely move on, having learned nothing.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 11, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOHg-2ZtGl8

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

MeLKoR posted:

If CIG comes out and says "we either charge $25/month or the whole thing falls apart" I have no doubt there are enough people that won't just let go hundreds or thousands of dollars and at least 120k backers will be willing to cough that up for years to keep the Vision alive. You are seeing it already with all the "plenty of AAA games take a decade to make" stuff. They just have to keep feeding them slop and commercials a dozen hours per week and call that open development, give the illusion of progress and they can keep milking this cow until they eventually call it quits and poo poo something up that will be an immense disappointment to everyone involved. The whales will swear it's the most delicious turd they ever tasted but eventually even them will discretely move on without having learned anything.

Yeah I agree. People are stupid enough to keep things going in perpetuity. The only thing that can really kill it is if Chris still pushes for extravagance without the money to support it.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

To be fair Elite does hold the guiness world record for longest game development time

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/most-protracted-game-development

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Justin Tyme posted:

I remember this quite well, and the ragdolls of the mechs were like stuffed animals in terms of weight.

Yea, it definitely looked awful, and the worst part was you couldn't even shoot someone as they were falling down. The instant the ragdoll was triggered players would end up teleporting around in line with their momentum, but their position on screen wouldn't update until they started getting back up. So you'd see a 'Mech topple over, then it'd teleport 10 meters away in some other direction and start to stand up again.

Except if you were the one doing the tackling and your weapons keep firing as you go down then it's amazing!
(Apologies for the poo poo quality since this was before gifv was a thing and digging up the source is waaay too much effort but:)

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 11, 2015

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Gwaihir posted:

MWO? In my Star Citizen thread?

Dragon Bowling was great. The weird half-on collision they have in the game now is annoying as poo poo. Just enough to pip your legs down a couple percent because some retard in a trash can ran into you while spinning in 360s.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
I miss splatcats

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

Ship with literal swords built into it for ramming decides to ram- is described as "rear end in a top hat." News at 11.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3w85ak/glaive_being_an_asshole_ptu_20k_113/

the tears of laughter and joy just wont stop. And then "Thanks glaive rear end in a top hat" and now my sides hurt so bad

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

grimcreaper posted:

the tears of laughter and joy just wont stop. And then "Thanks glaive rear end in a top hat" and now my sides hurt so bad

Suddenly it is GOTY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs2u5UP7u3M

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:
I haven't seen any of you guys around the verse.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Apology accepted, Captain Needa

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MeLKoR posted:

My point is that I don't think they are in any risk of going under any time soon, they can easily tap into enough pockets to keep the normal development poo poo going for years. What they might run out off is "call Gary Oldman up, fly him to London and have him do some more silly poo poo" money and that might not go well at all with Chris and Sandi.

Pretty much. Even needing $100K per day to maintain things seems pretty viable given how many sales they have at the end of the year.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Doyzer posted:

What changed, you said they only had 3 months in October?

Where have you been? And how did you miss the money they made in Oct/Nov? Or don't you think that counts?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

More PTU Gameplay: It's been three or four patches since the last time, so I figured I'd give it another go and see how the stability is. We've been talking a lot about Puhvuhpuh in here so I thought I'd make my mission for tonight to get at least one pvp kill, consensual or otherwise.

Once again, you impress.

Hey, do me a favor next time you're feeling suicidal (or masochistic, I dunno which anymore), try this: QD to array 126 fly back to where you started and tell me the following:

1) did you make it?

2) did you get "gridref error"?

3) did the range change before and after you got to the array?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Amarcarts posted:

How is it possible for things like the Connie to be stuck halfway in the landing platform. Isn't there some block of code in the engine that essentially says "these are solid objects"?

It's not that. When stuff like that happens in a multiplayer game, it means that the object (Connie) was loaded before the scene (client) and since the server is the arbiter for synching, the Connie was loaded before the scene was complete.

That, and physics can also cause these issues if out of synch.

As far as the server is concerned, it's all good, as in "wtf are you going on about? there's a Connie sitting right there and it looks just fine to me"

Meanwhile, you - the observer client - are staring at a Connie buried into the platform

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dapper Dan posted:

I'd like to believe it but they've shown before the ability to pull blood from a stone. You have to give them some credit, they are masters of exploitation. With the December sale and dripping hype for SQ 42 in 2016, they might be able to make enough to keep going for at least six more months.

That is, unless, Roberts increases the burn rate by unnecessary spending. It also still boggles my mind how stupid people are with this. Other crowdfunding campaigns can barely get any money but this one is making 100k per day and that was before they had a crappy tech demo. That's insane.

What's coming is glorious. That is all.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
So one of my Corp mates suggested I do this and I'm mentally preparing myself for the shitstorm of comments to follow, but long story short my soon yo be ex wife is extremely needy and unable to occupy her time without a man in her physical presence. At first this was awesome, but as Eve became more intriguing to me she became upset. I've tried to explain to her that I use eve to help with my ptsd from the war... As opposed to running outside doing some stupid poo poo and getting arrested.... So here I am now letting it all out on the line. I've spoken to close friends and Corp mates and most have had a similar sentiment... gently caress her she's no good regardless of what she looks like. So Ask Me Anything. oh and since people have asked this is what she looks like http://imgur.com/SLHVMZx

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

EightAce posted:

Judging by the pointed questions being asked by CIG in their refund mails it seems as if they themselves are planning some sort of legal attack on various parties, possibly citing how the accusations have impacted upon their ability to operate.

Don't be an idiot. Asking if Derek Smart or The Escapist is the reason for a refund is legally actionable how?

I can't tell that

a) you have no idea how any of this works

b) you have no idea about how legal action works

Then again, if Ortwin asked them to ask those questions, it all makes perfect sense since he's a buffoon.

Let me help you:

In order for them to have a claim, they have to prove damages

In order for them to prove damages, they have to show financials

In order to prove damages, you don't pick a number out of a hat. ergo if 10 people say yeah, it was The Escapist, your "damages" is restricted to the total amount of the refund for those 10

Then you have the unenviable task of proving that how The Escapist or Derek Smart somehow influenced the thinking of an individual who, after exercising free will, asked for his money back

Bonus Tip: The courts are littered with case law throwing out poo poo like the above and it's specifically the sort of crap that anti-SLAAP laws were made for

By your asinine reasoning, every restaurant on Yelp would be suing people posting bad reviews which cause other people to not visit. Oh wait! That's right, some have actually tried that. Cases tossed. Damages awarded.

In short, it all boils down to this: A magazine wrote something. It made some people who gave us money for a game we haven't delivered, ask for refunds. So we refunded and lost money. It's the magazine (or Derek Smart) fault.

The judge would have a field day. As would the press.

ps: considering how much money they have made between July to Nov, it would be amazing to read how their "ability to operate" has been damaged

pps: take this poo poo to Reddit. No clowns here

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

D_Smart posted:

What's coming is glorious. That is all.

- Star Citizen 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Gerblyn posted:

Thing is, either you believe SC started development in 2011 (as stated by CR when the kickstarter came out) which means we're currently seeing the results of 4+ years of development, or you buy the current Brown Sea line of "Development didn't really start until late 2013/early 2014", which means that all the work done in 2012 and 2013 effectively doesn't count and was all wasted. The latter sounds fine, until you realize that it probably cost $20-30m of backer money to run CIG in that 2 year period.

Of course, they'd say that it does count, and it wasn't wasted, which means the time must have been spent in some way working towards developing the current game we see now, but for some reason that doesn't count as "development time" :psyduck:

Yes. Morons.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
I can't wait for Alpha 2.0 to hit public. :giddy:

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

Why that's the SS DivorceCourt, my good whale! She's got enough turrets for your lawyer, and their entire legal staff!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

sorla78 posted:

Any new blogs on the horizon with any new revelations or did that source of yours got busted with some of the more recent layoffs?

I have one more waiting in the wings. I am waiting for some events to play out before I release it, since I'd have to make some edits. I'd rather write one more blog, not two.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

CashEnsign posted:

So one of my Corp mates suggested I do this and I'm mentally preparing myself for the shitstorm of comments to follow, but long story short my soon yo be ex wife is extremely needy and unable to occupy her time without a man in her physical presence. At first this was awesome, but as Eve became more intriguing to me she became upset. I've tried to explain to her that I use eve to help with my ptsd from the war... As opposed to running outside doing some stupid poo poo and getting arrested.... So here I am now letting it all out on the line. I've spoken to close friends and Corp mates and most have had a similar sentiment... gently caress her she's no good regardless of what she looks like. So Ask Me Anything. oh and since people have asked this is what she looks like http://imgur.com/SLHVMZx

Very let down the picture isn't of a jpeg spaceship

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

flyboi posted:

Very let down the picture isn't of a jpeg spaceship

We can make it into one

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

D_Smart posted:

Yes. Morons.

Maybe they get enough money in the future to build a time machine and we're seeing the results

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In other words they should have done what Elite is already doing, only with maybe five times the funding so they could readily iterate on their own product and not piss off original backers by charging for the equivalent of a new game every year? I'll be very curious to see what kind of a game Elite is by the time Star Citizen is actually out.

I wouldn't be surprised if, in a year, Arena Commander is sufficiently ironed out enough that it would make for a solid single player experience and we get Squadron 42. Beyond that however I have no faith in CIG to deliver a product that's anywhere near the MMO experience people are anticipating. The servers can't handle it, the clients can't handle it, and frankly SC is such an amorphous concept that CR will be able to say that whatever they produced is what they were promising. The folks who are really going to get hosed over are the people who bought Javelins expecting something they could build an entire organization around. I think in the long run what we're really going to be getting is Freelancer 2015.

You won't be getting anything.

• Locked thread