Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

Oh, wait. He's doing interiors too? Sweet!

I actually read that article, or more accurately skimmed it, because I thought he was just doing covers and concept work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It is super loving rad to see one of the most thoughtful, skilled, and intense essayists working today just nerd the gently caress out about how Black Panther's super-armor should let him do Jedi moves.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Neurosis posted:

What's the most recent word on when Brubaker and Phillips are going to get around to the third (and I'm going to guess final) arc of Incognito?

Nothing on this?

I'll just reread Sleeper (the best take on Infernal Affairs by a country mile) and cry.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So what happens if Ghost Rider uses his Penance Stare on a hero? I assume with his history there may be variants, but it's supposed to make people feel all the pain and suffering they inflicted on the INNOCENT, so...does indirect pain and suffering count? If a hero defeats a villain and locks them up, and then the villain breaks out and goes on a mad rampage to draw the hero's attention, does that mean the hero is responsible for the pain and suffering the villain caused in their supposed name?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cornwind Evil posted:

So what happens if Ghost Rider uses his Penance Stare on a hero? I assume with his history there may be variants, but it's supposed to make people feel all the pain and suffering they inflicted on the INNOCENT, so...does indirect pain and suffering count? If a hero defeats a villain and locks them up, and then the villain breaks out and goes on a mad rampage to draw the hero's attention, does that mean the hero is responsible for the pain and suffering the villain caused in their supposed name?

While its not consistant between writers, it generally seems to be be "Experience the pain you (directly) inflicted on others". Sometimes specifically inflicted on the innocent, sometimes not. It had no effect on Punisher because he "has no regrets" (which is not how the penance stare usually works btw, but gotta make frank look badass) It worked on Doctor Strange at least once, because at the end of the day everyone has at some point caused pain to someone who didnt deserve it (plus canonically before Strange was a hero he was an rear end in a top hat). But generally it does seem to be "Pain directly caused by action/inaction". So while Fisk might experience the pain of vicitms and their families killed on his orders, Spiderman wouldnt experience the pain of people killed by Venom/carnage.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The penance stare wouldn't work on Spidey, but he'd still react as if it did. "Uncle Ben!" The placebo stare.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Die Laughing posted:

The penance stare wouldn't work on Spidey, but he'd still react as if it did. "Uncle Ben!" The placebo stare.

The Penance stare wouldn't work on Spidey because he already feels all the pain he has caused.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

KittyEmpress posted:

The Penance stare wouldn't work on Spidey because he already feels all the pain he has caused.

Probably more, honestly.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

SiKboy posted:

So while Fisk might experience the pain of vicitms and their families killed on his orders,

Ghost RICO? :prepop:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

KittyEmpress posted:

Similarly, a better way to have Frankie no-sell the stare would've been that it still causes him to feel the pain, it just doesn't stop him because Frank Castle is an inhuman tank.

I'm also imagining someone holding an intervention for Speedball during his Penance phase, having the Rider penance stare him to prove Stamford wasn't actually his fault.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RandallODim posted:

I'm also imagining someone holding an intervention for Speedball during his Penance phase, having the Rider penance stare him to prove Stamford wasn't actually his fault.
Then he says "whatever man, you just don't get it!" And storms out, tightening one of the S&M poke-gauntlets and blasting Linkin Park
:emo:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Squizzle posted:

Ghost RICO? :prepop:

It's mostly used to catch ghosts that are trying to run tax scams, but yeah, it'd probably work that way too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

RandallODim posted:

Similarly, a better way to have Frankie no-sell the stare would've been that it still causes him to feel the pain, it just doesn't stop him because Frank Castle is an inhuman tank.

I still prefer the idea that using the penance stare on Frank would make him explode and that merely pretending to caused him to freak out and nearly break down. Ah, pre-Ennis Punisher...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Speaking of Speedball, did anything actually come of him after New Warriors? I know they were setting up a plotline with him before the book got canned but I'm curious if anything picked up on that.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What's the deal with the 4th World Omnibus volume 2 being a billion dollars? Is there any chance of it not being a billion dollars?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shakenbaker posted:

What's the deal with the 4th World Omnibus volume 2 being a billion dollars? Is there any chance of it not being a billion dollars?

Initial orders were very low so they printed a lower number.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Initial orders were very low so they printed a lower number.

Bleh, figures. Thanks.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Are you talking about hardback? Cause the paperbacks got reprinted with the new DC logo, or at least the #3 and #4 I got.

e: Yeah $200 on Amazon. That's weird.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Shakenbaker posted:

Because it's worth it.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Is this the best Stan Lee hyperbolic first-page opener?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I signed up to Marvel Unlimited and it's pretty cool. But as I haven't read comics for ages I've been blindly stabbing at stuff that sounds like it could be fun, not the best strategy I know. I recently read about Hope Summers finding those new mutants the "four lights" but after jumping ahead and reading some new stories none of them seem to turn up, are they all dead or did they gently caress off to the future or something?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ultragonk posted:

I signed up to Marvel Unlimited and it's pretty cool. But as I haven't read comics for ages I've been blindly stabbing at stuff that sounds like it could be fun, not the best strategy I know. I recently read about Hope Summers finding those new mutants the "four lights" but after jumping ahead and reading some new stories none of them seem to turn up, are they all dead or did they gently caress off to the future or something?

Nah they just stopped using them for some reason.

Also r/comicbooks has a pretty good list of "what to read, I know it helped me when I first got MU, because their library is daunting.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

zoux posted:

Nah they just stopped using them for some reason.

Also r/comicbooks has a pretty good list of "what to read, I know it helped me when I first got MU, because their library is daunting.

I suppose with a huge cast like the X-Men you can't use everyone, but I'm surprised they stopped using Hope, she seemed really important.

Thanks for the link.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Ultragonk posted:

I suppose with a huge cast like the X-Men you can't use everyone, but I'm surprised they stopped using Hope, she seemed really important.

Thanks for the link.

Every time a writer gets their hands on X-Men they create new mutants that are very very important to them. These mutants never seem to survive the switch to a new writer because they have their own very special mutants they want to write about.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dr. Hurt posted:

Every time a writer gets their hands on X-Men they create new mutants that are very very important to them. These mutants never seem to survive the switch to a new writer because they have their own very special mutants they want to write about.

Up to a point. There was the mandate recently that Bendis bitched about, no more new mutants as Fox automatically got the rights to use them. Even Goldballs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Up to a point. There was the mandate recently that Bendis bitched about, no more new mutants as Fox automatically got the rights to use them. Even Goldballs.

That reminds me, did Ben the shapeshifter ever get a code name?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Rhyno posted:

It's Fox's fault we won't ever see a Rockslide/Anole fighting crime with fake mustaches.

loving criminal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

That reminds me, did Ben the shapeshifter ever get a code name?

Never officially but they called him Morph.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Never officially but they called him Morph.

Yeah I remember that Emma or someone vetoed that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Other way around. She suggested it, he didn't like it.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Should have gotten Wolverine to suggest it. He can say it so strikingly.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dr. Hurt posted:

Rhyno posted:

I get wanting to put your mark on something but they must have about every type of mutant they could possibly want at the moment. I'd rather see existing mutants have their story expanded.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Ultragonk posted:

I get wanting to put your mark on something but they must have about every type of mutant they could possibly want at the moment. I'd rather see existing mutants have their story expanded.

A writer wants to tell the story that they want to tell - the story that they're enthusiastic about. It turns out that it can be harder to do that when you're dealing with characters that have established histories and personalities and extant plot threads that may not actually line up with that story they're enthusiastic about.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

A writer wants to tell the story that they want to tell - the story that they're enthusiastic about. It turns out that it can be harder to do that when you're dealing with characters that have established histories and personalities and extant plot threads that may not actually line up with that story they're enthusiastic about.

When really they should be catering to my needs and whims :haw:

Can you think of any mutants that appeared in one issue, looked like they would appear in more and have just never appeared again?

bessantj fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 11, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

None of that poo poo has ever mattered to any writer. If they want to tell a story they are usually fine trying to smash a round peg in a square hole.

They just really,really want to create the next Wolverine.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ultragonk posted:

When really they should be catering to my needs and whims :haw:

Can you think of any mutants that appeared in one issue, looked like they would appear in more and have just never appeared again?

Back when I was reading comics there was a supporting character who found out that he would become Ahab from the bad X-Men Days of Future Past future. Then he got his leg shot off and moved into Excalibur's headquarters and was never seen again.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

None of that poo poo has ever mattered to any writer. If they want to tell a story they are usually fine trying to smash a round peg in a square hole.

They just really,really want to create the next Wolverine.

confident assessment of the motives of every writer ever.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Squizzle posted:

Should have gotten Wolverine to suggest it. He can say it so strikingly.

*hands Ben a slip of paper with a name on it* "THIS ONE'S FOR YOU, MORPH!"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ultragonk posted:

Someone isn't reading Tom Brevoort's sassy tumblr!

doobiewrap posted:

With over 70 years Its clear that marvel has one of the biggest character pools in the industry, why do you think creators continue to make new characters for their series? Specifically I mean why add a new white male character to a book when you could've just used one (with the same power set and everything) that hasn't gotten any major attention since the 70 - 90's? it's like having access to the worlds biggest toy box but staying your phone instead

Brevoort posted:

Because a power set is only the slightest thing there is to a character. People create the characters they need in order to tell their stories. They may not be aware of earlier characters, or those characters may have aspects to them that don’t fit in with what the story is going to be. Plus, it can feel exclusionary for certain readers to bring back an obscure character from decades ago if you don’t need to. On top of which, you never know what new character is going to hit–certainly Spider-Gwen was a surprise that wouldn’t have happened if some other established spider-person such as Jessica Drew or Julia Carpenter had been used there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ultragonk posted:

Maggot should have been one of those. Chris Claremonts the Neo did not stick around for long.