Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
I wonder if Derek will now take down Microsoft with a blog entry or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I see everything that's happening to Derek Smart and wonder if Chris, Sandi, Ben, and Jared realize that it's just a taste of what's to come if they gently caress the backers over.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

MeLKoR posted:

Do you have to wait for them to get up to shoot them? Why can't you just shoot him and unceremoniously shove him aside?

Right now people are invincible while seated. Immersion!

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
im taking deleterious action against you in the space computer game hahahaha these loving nerds

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EminusSleepus posted:

Why did you made yourself unclean? You were pure/untouched

for laughs mostly

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015
drat, there goes the last user of outlook.com...

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

looks like the cultists flooded the website

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
You guys are just not getting this physics discussion. We're talking about

If you are on a train traveling 60 mph and you fire a bullet forward at 60 mph then you have to account for Doppler effect.

The formula is this:

df = (dv/c)f0

As we all know, the symbol for frequency, f, is just a lower case version of force, F.

Since a lower case letter is mathematically equivalent to half of an upper case letter we get

dF/2 = (dv/c)(F0/2)

We can simplify this by multiplying both sides by 2

dF=(dv/c)F0

Since F0 is 0 before the gun is fired, that means that after the gun is fired dF=(dv/c)(0)=0

So there is no force applied and the bullet doesn't leave the gun. Therefore, since the velocity of the bullet leaving the gun is 0, as it does not leave the gun, the train now can't stop ever.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ZenMaster posted:

looks like the cultists flooded the website

I like how the one guy who picked CIG basically said they deserve the award because the company has weathered criticism. Not that they've delivered anything, or that they're on track, or anything else. That people are trolling them.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

xanif posted:

If you are on a train traveling 60 mph and you fire a bullet forward at 60 mph then you have to account for Doppler effect.

The formula is this:

df = (dv/c)f0

As we all know, the symbol for frequency, f, is just a lower case version of force, F.

Since a lower case letter is mathematically equivalent to half of an upper case letter we get

dF/2 = (dv/c)(F0/2)

dF=(dv/c)F0

Since F0 is 0 before the gun is fired, that means that after the gun is fired dF=(dv/c)(0)=0

So there is no force applied and the bullet doesn't leave the gun. Therefore, since the velocity of the bullet leaving the gun is 0, as it does not leave the gun, the train now can't stop ever.

Finally some solid physics that Sheldon cooper can get behind

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

AP posted:

Report made to microsoft.

They took out the email address that I think Derek was advising people to contact him on about getting a refund. Clearly this is going to help, will ultimately lead to Star Citizen being even more of an excellent game than it already is and not just piss Derek off more.

If you're lurking and want to contact Mr Smart, feel free to join the somethingawful forums and speak to him here, this is a judgement free zone and the details of your Spaceship Portfolio can be discussed openly.

If you're lurking this thread as part of the anti Derek Smart crusade to ensure your Star Citizen investment is protected, please bookmark this link, at any time you can show your displeasure of bad or misinformed anti-Star Citizen posters here, by buying them a terrible avatar.

I should maybe point out that I don't think SA currently takes bitcoins as payment but at least you can dispose of more of your dirty fiat currency.

"We're mature adults who behave reasonably when confronted with something we don't like."

In other news, it looks like the most recent PTU patch is pretty stable. I actually managed to screw around for about an hour last night. Flew through space, shot some pirates, EVA'd through someone's Alien: Isolation fanfic, and then flew back and parked my fighter inside some dude's Constellation while he was trying to take off. All in all it was pretty fun, even if my framerate was abysmal.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

xanif posted:

The formula is this:

df = (dv/c)f0

dF/2 = (dv/c)(F0/2)

dF=(dv/c)F0

Well played sir. :golfclap:

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

"We're mature adults who behave reasonably when confronted with something we don't like."

In other news, it looks like the most recent PTU patch is pretty stable. I actually managed to screw around for about an hour last night. Flew through space, shot some pirates, EVA'd through someone's Alien: Isolation fanfic, and then flew back and parked my fighter inside some dude's Constellation while he was trying to take off. All in all it was pretty fun, even if my framerate was abysmal.

I just gave it a quick shot, taking a break from work, here is my experience:

I log in, FPS must have been halved with the last update, it's a laggy mess and everyone in chat complaining about 10 fps.

No worries, I get into my hornet, start taking off, CTD.

Quickest break ever.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

xanif posted:

The formula is this:

df = (dv/c)f0

dF/2 = (dv/c)(F0/2)

dF=(dv/c)F0

:perfect:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
I think this was lost in the physics discussion yesterday but Isn't this where CIG gets their furniture from?

The New Yorker: Restoration Hardware’s Mail-Order Extravagance:

quote:

The first stirrings of dissent came from the UPS drivers. In May, they began posting on Brown Café, an anonymous message board, about the thirty-three-hundred-page catalogue bundles sent out by the furniture company Restoration Hardware. “My building for the last few days is slammed with RH catalogues (17 pounds each) with another trailer full coming in next week,” one wrote. “We’ve been running helpers to try to keep up. I can’t believe we’re the only ones getting pounded with these.” Shift workers who unloaded the pallets complained of back strain. One driver described orders to give the catalogues to passersby, if necessary, rather than return them to UPS distribution centers. “Was loaded down with those darn mags again today,” another wrote. “I see them all over my route in the recycle bins.”

Then, customers rebelled. In Palo Alto, seven volunteers returned two thousand pounds of the catalogues to a Restoration Hardware store in one day, on hand trucks. Erin Gates, an interior designer in Boston, rallied her blog readers to remove their names from the mailing list, explaining that the catalogues are useless, because they don’t contain product dimensions. Some who received the books have proposed alternate uses: dog toy, home-fitness equipment. Melanie Johnson, an origami artist in California, is rolling the pages into paper-bead jewelry. A UPS driver suggested the catalogue would make a handy wheel chock in an emergency.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I hope Derek sics his lawyers on the people who took down his email. I want another Threat Assessment Incident.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

:stonklol:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

:gary::irony::yarg:

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah, looks like they're going to push it to Live if everything works out with the AI fix:

We're going to push one more build to PTU today to test an extra fix for the AI spawns at a comms array that slow down and occasionally crash the game server. Our internal testing shows that the fix resolves the crash, though there can be slowdowns of 30 seconds or so, at which point the servers clear up.

If all goes well with testing, we will push this build to Live later today.

(Checks date) Hmm.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Planet Express makes another successful delivery.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

:smug: Star Citizen's model has nothing to do with DLC. It is perfectly acceptable to pay five to ten times the price of Elite's expansion for a single spaceship, because you're helping CIG make the game and the ship is just a thank you. Elite already has a game and doesn't need to take your money, so charging anything is overpriced. Looks like someone doesn't understand games development. :smug:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Loiosh posted:

Yeah, looks like they're going to push it to Live if everything works out with the AI fix:

We're going to push one more build to PTU today to test an extra fix for the AI spawns at a comms array that slow down and occasionally crash the game server. Our internal testing shows that the fix resolves the crash, though there can be slowdowns of 30 seconds or so, at which point the servers clear up.

(Checks date) Hmm.

When is their big reveal livestream thing? It make sense they would do everything in power to fart this thing out to live before/by then.

Iglocska posted:

I just gave it a quick shot, taking a break from work, here is my experience:

I log in, FPS must have been halved with the last update, it's a laggy mess and everyone in chat complaining about 10 fps.

No worries, I get into my hornet, start taking off, CTD.

Quickest break ever.

I'm gonna give it another try today, I didn't have a single issue with it last night. Look at it this way though, you saved yourself from getting rammed by a goon while trying to take off :gary:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Star Sisyphus.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

The recent DLC that expands the scope of the game by like 3x and adds tons of new features and ships? Unbelievable money grab! *buys $600 worth of useless ship modules for his jpegs*

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 11, 2015

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I see everything that's happening to Derek Smart and wonder if Chris, Sandi, Ben, and Jared realize that it's just a taste of what's to come if they gently caress the backers over.

The cult will never blame the lightbringer for failure, they will blame outside forces.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

When is their big reveal livestream thing? It make sense they would do everything in power to fart this thing out to live before/by then.

No clue. I was guessing showing off Mining, but the big bet seems to be on seamless transitions from space to planet. That appears to be indicated by what was said on ATV in regards to Nyx. The Persistent Universe lead mentioned that before showing Nyx in the PU they had something to reveal. As Nyx is a planetary station, that's what everyone seems to be guessing.

-shrug-

Loiosh fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 11, 2015

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

This is amazing.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
You guys just don't get it.

If it's $60, then it's downloadable content.
If it's $6,000, then it becomes downloadable self-esteem.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

CIG posted:

Please know this is fully dependent on a successful, stable test, and is therefore a fluid situation where plans can change last minute. If there are any problems with the new build on PTU, we will assess, make some changes, and push to Live next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K6XhlvvQko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orMbrjeNXYY

100% ready to go live!

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

This level of doublethink is amazing. It's like people who think religious freedom is paramount but want to ban an entire religion from the US.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Hi,

I bought Elite Dangerous some months ago when it was in Beta, 40€ (now it cost 37.5€...nevermind), I was thinking "yeah it's gonna be cool, the game will be richer in content...some DLC around 20€ to complet the game...ect"

But I was so wrong. The game don't evolve (some update, but it still so empty) and now they announced the next DLC (Horizon), it will let you land on rock planets, ok cool, but this DLC has the same price as the game, and it's just the begining of a really long list of DLC !

Look at that, it's the funnier (official DLC Chart): http://i.imgur.com/BI0Wzno.jpg

lifetime expension pass : 165€ (180$) !! And the loyalty "discount" does not feel like a discount at all

This is a f*cking joke, in fact, the game sold at 40€ was just the "demo" of the final game, for the rest : take your wallet ! FPS battle ? Multicrew ?...ect ? Pay ! The final game is in DLC and cost around 200€, what a deal --'

Developers just want to make money, but they will not have mine ! It's really important to not support this pay structure. It's a shame !

And the game came out on Xbox too with an exclusive DLC for some months, lol

During this time, I pledged StarCitizen, well the game will not be release until 2017 I think, but hey, 32€ for the full game !

Thank for reading

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

Madcosby posted:

Hi,

I bought Elite Dangerous some months ago when it was in Beta, 40€ (now it cost 37.5€...nevermind), I was thinking "yeah it's gonna be cool, the game will be richer in content...some DLC around 20€ to complet the game...ect"

But I was so wrong. The game don't evolve (some update, but it still so empty) and now they announced the next DLC (Horizon), it will let you land on rock planets, ok cool, but this DLC has the same price as the game, and it's just the begining of a really long list of DLC !

Look at that, it's the funnier (official DLC Chart): http://i.imgur.com/BI0Wzno.jpg

lifetime expension pass : 165€ (180$) !! And the loyalty "discount" does not feel like a discount at all

This is a f*cking joke, in fact, the game sold at 40€ was just the "demo" of the final game, for the rest : take your wallet ! FPS battle ? Multicrew ?...ect ? Pay ! The final game is in DLC and cost around 200€, what a deal --'

Developers just want to make money, but they will not have mine ! It's really important to not support this pay structure. It's a shame !

And the game came out on Xbox too with an exclusive DLC for some months, lol

During this time, I pledged StarCitizen, well the game will not be release until 2017 I think, but hey, 32€ for the full game !

Thank for reading

Source your quotes.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Finally, a video that illustrates what I'm talking about when I say missiles are beyond hosed up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10ICQ0KZ1_A

Seriously- are those hitting? Why are they exploding? Why do they glow blue no matter what angle you see them from? Why does the explosion seem offset behind the missile by several hundred feet? Why do they seem to fly and track so sluggishly?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Wafflz posted:

This is amazing.

It legitimately takes a lot to get me space-mad, but here we are. I am Space-Mad about Video Games.

Also this got me thinking of a great idea for a great event for me goon-infested ED clan to do.

Desert Bus to Hutton Orbital for charity.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
For those of you that don't know, while in Manchester covering CitizenCon, I lost my wallet, and with that wallet, my newly (three hours before) signed Citizen Card.

The wallet, and money inside it, hurt to lose. But the Citizen card hurt more.

Anyway, CIG and Sandi found out (through the Twitter-verse) and... well. This happened today.

http://imgur.com/i0IF8kQ

Basically, I love CIG.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
pretend I copy pasted this entire thread
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3wak4x/why_i_love_cig_one_more_reason_anyway/

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/123Q00u8aTR1lIZdo2OOQrZNZsnTsFhrpM0ExA_nBgqE/viewform?c=0&w=1&usp=send_form

This is a good poll and everyone should go fill it out

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The Leader Favors Me!

quote:

The post it note really got me, more even than the signed card. Just... It's just a post it note! Why does it mean so much? I don't know I love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Done - although the phrasing of some of those questions is fedora tipping terrible.

• Locked thread