Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Like I'm actually angry that Ben and his wife are that fat. I have no idea why this is upsetting me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

That is actually worth going to that shithole to vote on. Lifetime bans because people got refunds is retarded. And unenforcable. And retarded.

Someday I too hope to crash my stupid space BMW into Derek Smart's Constellation, the "D.S.S. Battlecruiser 3000AD was good"

e: never mind, thread's locked.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 11, 2015

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

People so delusional they're acting like CIG is a charity to find homes for orphaned space pilots or something.

I can't wait for this game to come out because it'll disappoint all these people and it will be glorious.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Romes128 posted:

Like I'm actually angry that Ben and his wife are that fat. I have no idea why this is upsetting me.

If you're actually looking for a semi-viable reason, look up some older pictures of Ben and then consider what this time working for suspected people-exploiter CRobber and suspected people-abuser Sandi has done him.

It's quite shocking.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Chalks posted:

People so delusional they're acting like CIG is a charity to find homes for orphaned space pilots or something.

I can't wait for this game to come out because it'll disappoint all these people and it will be glorious.

You're going to be very disappointed, they will defend the game until their last breath, while crying themselves to sleep every night. Kinda like I picture them now, now that I think about it

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

Can someone explain what you can do in the PTU that you can't do in Elite Dangerous? Is it only the FPS gunplay?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

That's just the bounty hunter mentality shining through his visor. We hate* it when people back out of payments.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

G0RF posted:

:vince:

Lando experiences a brief bout of lucidity...

He definitely needs a shave

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

He definitely needs a shave

It's ok he's going to be homeless soon anyway might as well keep the look

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
DickWulf plz stop sending pizza to cig and send a treadmill

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

RuckusRouser posted:

Can someone explain what you can do in the PTU that you can't do in Elite Dangerous? Is it only the FPS gunplay?

It's much more than that.

You get to kill someone and listen to them bitch about "non-consensual pvp" which is a thing that this community unironically believes in. You won't find people in E:D having a meltdown because their $400 ship got blown up by a $45 ship.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
This is the crap they're doing now.

http://www.dereksmart.org/forums/topic/general-discussions/#post-1915

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity/v/29395055

About an hour in.

Disco Lando thinks they have 68 ships, including variants, he repeats it a few times, someone told him that as he actually says "I didn't count them".

They have over 100, I counted I stopped at 100 but hey I did put some effort in.

Then he goes on a rant about how useless massive threads on one ship are, names the Cutlass, Banu MM and Caterpillar. It's interesting to me that :pgi: did the same thing, they actually went further and closed the general forum in order to shut people up, because they were whining about boring sniper play and ppcs for some reason, for a year. I think they've reopened it now, but too late, can't wait to see whatever CIG's version of ghostheat is.

"What do you want to do with your Banu Merchantman?" he actually lists as a good thread, so it's really about criticism and negativity which the massive threads seem to move towards for some reason (I dunno I'll try a stab in the dark, it might be linked to gently caress all happening to the $250 Banu MM in over two years since they first sold it).

Not that I'm complaining, it's interesting to see how they justify it to the Citizens.

AP fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 11, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

EightAce posted:

quote:

Don't be an idiot. Asking if Derek Smart or The Escapist is the reason for a refund is legally actionable how?

I can't tell that

a) you have no idea how any of this works

b) you have no idea about how legal action works

Then again, if Ortwin asked them to ask those questions, it all makes perfect sense since he's a buffoon.

Let me help you:

In order for them to have a claim, they have to prove damages

In order for them to prove damages, they have to show financials

In order to prove damages, you don't pick a number out of a hat. ergo if 10 people say yeah, it was The Escapist, your "damages" is restricted to the total amount of the refund for those 10

Then you have the unenviable task of proving that how The Escapist or Derek Smart somehow influenced the thinking of an individual who, after exercising free will, asked for his money back

Bonus Tip: The courts are littered with case law throwing out poo poo like the above and it's specifically the sort of crap that anti-SLAAP laws were made for

By your asinine reasoning, every restaurant on Yelp would be suing people posting bad reviews which cause other people to not visit. Oh wait! That's right, some have actually tried that. Cases tossed. Damages awarded.

In short, it all boils down to this: A magazine wrote something. It made some people who gave us money for a game we haven't delivered, ask for refunds. So we refunded and lost money. It's the magazine (or Derek Smart) fault.

The judge would have a field day. As would the press.

ps: considering how much money they have made between July to Nov, it would be amazing to read how their "ability to operate" has been damaged

pps: take this poo poo to Reddit. No clowns here
Thanks for clearing that up Derek. I knew nothing sinister was going on. They are clearly just asking those questions as a mixture of courtesy and market research so they can make their end users experience even more fun in future.
The fact they have asked everyone these specific questions made it appear that there could be something else afoot but now you have posted your expert appraisal of the situation I feel a right fool ! egg on face

My post was not intended to a) make you look like a fool b) throw egg in your face

Sure, it was a tad flippant, but hey, you're on SA, right? :)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

G0RF posted:

Reddit: Mouse pad smell

It's tetrachloroethylene. (Ancient Chinese secret!)

But don't worry-- the smell fades quickly once the toxins do enough damage to your brain's olfactory processing.

i am unsure if this site is the best source of accurate medical information

:five:

:six:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Wuxi posted:

You're going to be very disappointed, they will defend the game until their last breath, while crying themselves to sleep every night. Kinda like I picture them now, now that I think about it

I've never seen an over hyped game come out where the people who fall for all the bullshit defend it when it fails to live up to their expectations.

This might be a different situation entirely - I've also never seen a game where people pre-order it for $30,000 so maybe people are going to be so deeply in denial about it that you're right. It's going to be amazing to watch either way.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

tooterfish posted:

I'm torn between thinking this, or that they're actually serious.

Which I suppose is what makes a great troll.

I think it's about half and half. Two years ago I argued with a guy on RSI about it endlessly. Pretty sure he was serious.

But it's such an amazing troll that I now troll with it.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Derek why don't you just get a proper domain email for this stuff. You'll have more control over it.

It also seems less sleazy than a @yahoo address. If you can spend money on laywers you can spend 15$$ on some proper email.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

dsmart@internetwarlord.gently caressyeah

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

RuckusRouser posted:

It's personal mobility ("spac legs") in general. So you can't have FPS battles or spend 7 minutes running through a station to get back to your ship after you start / crash / die.

Plus you can't have 50% of your view of space obscured by only partly functional heads-up displays and cockpit cage foo.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hav posted:

SLAPP - 'Strategic Lawsuit against public participation' - generally to stop people bringing suits to 'chill' conversation.

Dietz vs Parry, Fairfax County, Virginia. Sued for defamation over a yelp review and prevailed. You don't get shielded from libel and slander for anything, and it's certainly a lot more common than you make out.

Generally lawyers will advise against defamation suits over the internet because they're uncertain to produce the results, and can lead to a blowback from the perception that someone larger is attacking someone smaller, or 'SLAPP'.

Yelp itself sponsored the Speak Free Act (H.R. 2304: Securing Participation, Engagement, and Knowledge Freedom by Reducing Egregious Efforts Act of 201) to try and shield yelpers from defamation lawsuits, but it's unlikely to pass.

The above have nothing to do with the original discussion which was related to them asking whether or not myself or The Escapist influenced their decision; and for which he assumed that they were doing so in order to take legal action.

Defamation laws are very straightforward. That's why anyone remotely thinking of suing under them, needs to have an open and shut case. And even so, it can do either way, regardless.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

Report made to microsoft.

They took out the email address that I think Derek was advising people to contact him on about getting a refund. Clearly this is going to help, will ultimately lead to Star Citizen being even more of an excellent game than it already is and not just piss Derek off more.

If you're lurking and want to contact Mr Smart, feel free to join the somethingawful forums and speak to him here, this is a judgement free zone and the details of your Spaceship Portfolio can be discussed openly.

If you're lurking this thread as part of the anti Derek Smart crusade to ensure your Star Citizen investment is protected, please bookmark this link, at any time you can show your displeasure of bad or misinformed anti-Star Citizen posters here, by buying them a terrible avatar.

I should maybe point out that I don't think SA currently takes bitcoins as payment but at least you can dispose of more of your dirty fiat currency.

I actually only became aware of it after seeing your post above and trying to login to the account. Hence this:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Chalks posted:

I've never seen an over hyped game come out where the people who fall for all the bullshit defend it when it fails to live up to their expectations.

If something fails to live up to your expectations then you aren't going to defend it, unless you're Karl mental.

AP fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 11, 2015

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Jared just flat out admitted that the reason the new ship subforum is being created is because some designers (like the guys doing the Constellation) don't even read the threads.

Also hold on to your butts; 2.0 is going live.

Eh. Honestly, I don't _want_ my coders reading the forums. I want my mods reading the forums and passing curated posts over.
BAD THINGS happen when the coders read the forums.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I see everything that's happening to Derek Smart and wonder if Chris, Sandi, Ben, and Jared realize that it's just a taste of what's to come if they gently caress the backers over.

Just wait.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

I actually only became aware of it after seeing your post above and trying to login to the account. Hence this:

wethebackers@yahoo.com is going to last maybe a week, you know that right?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Warcabbit posted:

Eh. Honestly, I don't _want_ my coders reading the forums. I want my mods reading the forums and passing curated posts over.
BAD THINGS happen when the coders read the forums.

Ben has the worst table manners, he never passes anything.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SerCypher posted:

Derek why don't you just get a proper domain email for this stuff. You'll have more control over it.

It also seems less sleazy than a @yahoo address. If you can spend money on laywers you can spend 15$$ on some proper email.

I have @3000ad.com for business. I can't use it for anything else.

The mail server on @dereksmart.com is not setup yet. Which you just reminded me about actually. I will see about setting that up and using it.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

i am unsure if this site is the best source of accurate medical information

I think this Ph.D dude is a little more credible...

tetrachloroethylene seems a good candidate, given its use in rubberized plastic. And since their mousepads are the size of a table-cloth...

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

wethebackers@yahoo.com is going to last maybe a week, you know that right?

I dunno. We'll see. My guess is that the security people at Yahoo! aren't complete idiots. Remember too that I opted not to appeal the Microsoft account because a) it's just a waste of my time b) it didn't have anything there that wasn't already downloaded to Thunderbird local

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

xanif posted:

It's much more than that.

You get to kill someone and listen to them bitch about "non-consensual pvp" which is a thing that this community unironically believes in. You won't find people in E:D having a meltdown because their $400 ship got blown up by a $45 ship.
You'll still find them having meltdowns about "non-consensual pvp", that's a constant in the MMO universe.

Some of them also believe poopsocking directly correlates to pilot ability, and if you can even scratch their gold plated autism chariot with anything less than another gold plated autism chariot, that's clearly a balance issue. So it is kinda the same, except with less real money and more socks.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

tooterfish posted:

You'll still find them having meltdowns about "non-consensual pvp", that's a constant in the MMO universe.

Some of them also believe poopsocking directly correlates to pilot ability, and if you can even scratch their gold plated autism chariot with anything less than another gold plated autism chariot, that's clearly a balance issue. So it is kinda the same, except with less real money and more socks.

The funny thing is that, with this community and the absurd amounts of money spent, they will expect to be the best. It doesn't matter if they can be so easily scammed by someone in a junker or taken out by a couple of griefers. The whining will be enormous. If it comes out, I have no doubt goons will buy the cheapest package and make these people cry. If they think it is bad now, I have no idea what they expect when the game is fully released

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Jared just flat out admitted that the reason the new ship subforum is being created is because some designers (like the guys doing the Constellation) don't even read the threads.

Also hold on to your butts; 2.0 is going live.

Beer check this out at the end http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity/v/29395055?t=78m05s

Dev guy on the right brings up Curt Schilling/38 Studios, Disco Lando insists Star Citizen is a mmo and Toast backs him up. Will be pretty funny when they try to walk this back later when instance sizes start to firm up at the lower end of their promises.

AP fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 11, 2015

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
In the wonderful world of Chris Roberts' Star Citizen, there will be no warlords, griefers will be banned before they can even log in, and the only PvP encounters will be meeting gamer girls who want to gently caress you

PRAISE CHRIS ROBERTS

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/303137/dreams-and-nightmares-in-game

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

All these physics quotes are really really really painful

these are the people that read about newtonian physics on wikipedia and think they know everything without ever having so much as taken a high school physics class let alone a college-level physics class

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sweet jebus.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Romes128 posted:

Physics chat should be directed at finding out how those buttons are still holding his shirt closed.

The gravitational attraction of the buttons to Ben is greater than the outwards pressure exerted on the buttons.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beet Wagon posted:

Didn't they make a big post in September about how they are restructuring and canning a bunch of people, but giving them till the end of the year or whatever?

Is "People are leaving Austin" really news any more?

Nah. The way I see it, shitcannning the people responsible for AC and perpetually Bjorked netcode is a good thing.

Now, if the CryTek devs in Deuchland start peace-ing out, that would be a headshot, cause they're apparently the only ones who know how to programming language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

• Locked thread