Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008
I'm looking for suggestions for a good pair of fabric scissors. Originally I bought my girlfriend a pair of Shozaburo shears, but she doesn't like them for fabric (she loves them for things like paper though). Any suggestions that aren't Shozaburo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Glockamole posted:

I'm looking for suggestions for a good pair of fabric scissors. Originally I bought my girlfriend a pair of Shozaburo shears, but she doesn't like them for fabric (she loves them for things like paper though). Any suggestions that aren't Shozaburo?

Gingers. 8" shears.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

baby puzzle posted:

I have some pants that are made of a thick cotton material, which appears to be two separate plain-woven layers that are fused together somehow. Now that they are wearing out, I see the layers separating in a few places.

What might this kind of material be called? It is pretty nice in that the material is thick and warm but the weave is tight.

Edit: Double cloth?

Do you have pictures? It will probably help us identify it.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.

Funhilde posted:

Do you have pictures? It will probably help us identify it.

http://imgur.com/qMnGzD8

The top layer is fraying and the darker bit under with is the second layer. The two layers are actually fused together with tiny stitches.

How can I find exactly what I want when shopping for fabric? I don't see anything like this on mood. I haven't tried local shops but their selections are limited in my experience.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

baby puzzle posted:

http://imgur.com/qMnGzD8

The top layer is fraying and the darker bit under with is the second layer. The two layers are actually fused together with tiny stitches.

How can I find exactly what I want when shopping for fabric? I don't see anything like this on mood. I haven't tried local shops but their selections are limited in my experience.

so that looks just like the hem which is probably folded over fabric. It looks like maybe a black bottom weight denim or heavy duty cotton.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

It is really two fused layers. A better example can be seen where the crotch is blowing out but I wasn't going to photograph my crotch at work.

I have a wild hair about making pants similar to these since I can't find any that I like.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
I got asked to make some kind of sentimental gift using a child's shirt. I can't think of anything to do when you have to take the arm and neck hole in to account.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Comrade Quack posted:

I got asked to make some kind of sentimental gift using a child's shirt. I can't think of anything to do when you have to take the arm and neck hole in to account.

if you want the emphasis on simple, you could turn it into a pillow

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

absolem posted:

if you want the emphasis on simple, you could turn it into a pillow

I can't figure out a way to make the resulting shape not weird. You'd have to chop out part of the design or find some way to fill in the missing areas, and I think it would look weird.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Comrade Quack posted:

I can't figure out a way to make the resulting shape not weird. You'd have to chop out part of the design or find some way to fill in the missing areas, and I think it would look weird.

I was thinking pillow too. You could sew up the arm holes and make it shirt-shaped, or cut them off and make a rectangle. You can add a piece of fabric inside the neck to sew it up.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Or take the design wholesale and wrap the rest around a bolster pillow form. Put the lace around the trim.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'd completely deconstruct it, then the shape doesn't really matter.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Comrade Quack posted:

1) Can you politely refuse? (serious answer)

2) Trim more closely around the design and appliqué it to something else (woven), rather than trying to cut it into a square-ish shape and use it as the base.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I"d say "I can't use the shirt itself without making it silly-looking, but if I can just reuse the design, I can make a nice-looking pillow. " Then cut out the design in a triangle shape (neck-to-hem slant, using side seam and hem as sides of right triangle), fuse it to lightweight non-woven interfacing, cut a rectangle in a fabric that tones with the design, and applique design at lower left corner of rectangle. You'll have to jiggle around the rectangle's proportions to get it looking right. If they won't go for reusing the design, sew the neck, sleeves, and hem together, and call it art. (Fusing the knit to nonwoven is still a good idea.)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Funhilde posted:

Gingers. 8" shears.
This. (except Gingher has an H in it)

baby puzzle posted:

It is really two fused layers. A better example can be seen where the crotch is blowing out but I wasn't going to photograph my crotch at work.

I have a wild hair about making pants similar to these since I can't find any that I like.
How about stop trying to take pictures of the garment until a time when you've taken it off and it's clean and in good lightning? "Here's my ankle, I'd also take a picture of my crotch if I wasn't busy," isn't super useful, and sounds more like a text you might receive from a kinky dating site.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 12, 2015

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

coyo7e posted:

This. (except Gingher has an H in it)

Sorry autocorrect

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
I've tried the "look weird" and "no ideas route" but I don't want drama. Current idea is a stuffed animal to wear the shirt. Which I like because it doesn't involve me cutting up the shirt for a surprise. I don't know how big I have to make a stuffed animal to wear a 2T shirt.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Comrade Quack posted:

I've tried the "look weird" and "no ideas route" but I don't want drama. Current idea is a stuffed animal to wear the shirt. Which I like because it doesn't involve me cutting up the shirt for a surprise. I don't know how big I have to make a stuffed animal to wear a 2T shirt.

This time of year you can probably buy one

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Deal of the day on Amazon is Singer 7256 for 99.99 (normally 259.99)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Thinking about buying my 13yo daughter her own sewing machine. My wife's machine is big and my daughter can barely lift it. She pretty much popped out of the womb wanting to be a fashion designer. I'd want something small-ish, lightweight, under $100.

OR

If you have a better suggestion for a 13yo that wants to design tomorrow's fashions, lay it on me.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
The green Hello Kitty machine they sell at Target actually gets good enough reviews.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I highly recommend looking at sewing.patternreview.com. You'll need a login, but it's free.

Based on reviews elsewhere (it's not mentioned on patternreview) I like the look of Brother XM2701. Brother machines have been getting better and better. Currently $75 at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-XM2701-Lightweight-Full-Featured-Instructional/dp/B00JBKVN8S

The extended warranty at Amazon is ridiculously cheap; go for it. Do add the extra bobbins that Amazon suggests on the page: most people will want a lot of bobbins.

The reason I picked this one out of the pack is that it has a built-in threader and you can wind bobbins without taking them out. That will ease a lot of frustration. A lot of reviews on the bestselling (at Amazon) XL2600I complain that the tension is hard to adjust. Wonky tension will take the joy out of sewing faster than anything I know.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I highly recommend looking at sewing.patternreview.com. You'll need a login, but it's free.

Based on reviews elsewhere (it's not mentioned on patternreview) I like the look of Brother XM2701. Brother machines have been getting better and better. Currently $75 at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-XM2701-Lightweight-Full-Featured-Instructional/dp/B00JBKVN8S

The extended warranty at Amazon is ridiculously cheap; go for it. Do add the extra bobbins that Amazon suggests on the page: most people will want a lot of bobbins.

The reason I picked this one out of the pack is that it has a built-in threader and you can wind bobbins without taking them out. That will ease a lot of frustration. A lot of reviews on the bestselling (at Amazon) XL2600I complain that the tension is hard to adjust. Wonky tension will take the joy out of sewing faster than anything I know.

Thank you, this is exactly the kind of insight I need.

Princess Tutu
Aug 17, 2013
Anyone else have the Brother 1034D? I was serging a piece of muslin tonight when the entire machine locked up. My husband and I opened it up and he managed to get the wheel turning again and we oiled everything that moves. After we put the covers back on, the machine won't chain. I've re threaded it about 15 times, but when I run the machine, I end up with 4 separate threads instead of a chain. It appears that the loopers are doing their job, as when I turn the wheel and watch them, they seem to be moving and catching as usual, but the needles don't seem to be catching the loops. Is this a timing issue?

The machine is too cheap to be worth servicing, and I'm too poor right now to even afford a replacement for this one, so any ideas/tips would be appreciated.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Have you put in new needles yet? It's kind of like saying a Hail Mary -- new needles solve a surprising number of problems.

Princess Tutu
Aug 17, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Have you put in new needles yet? It's kind of like saying a Hail Mary -- new needles solve a surprising number of problems.

First thing I did. Was unfortunately not effective.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
New needles and perhaps making sure you have done the threading in proper order.

I just joined a FB group called Serge and Chat and many ladies in that group have the 1034 and may be able to troubleshoot it.

Princess Tutu
Aug 17, 2013

Funhilde posted:

New needles and perhaps making sure you have done the threading in proper order.

I just joined a FB group called Serge and Chat and many ladies in that group have the 1034 and may be able to troubleshoot it.

I'll try them, thanks for the tip!

Also, curious how often everyone here gets their machines serviced? I know it's supposed to be yearly, but that seems to be overkill, even for my nicer and pricier machines.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
My local shop has service plans for 2-3 years with unlimited services and it covers parts. I take my machines in twice a year.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
For the first time in maybe like 17 years I actually sewed something! Granted it's just a giant rectangle of cloth for a window cover, but hey it was fun. Hopefully it will survive a trip through the washer and dryer.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I like the look of Brother XM2701.

Follow up, this was a big hit. My daughter spent the day sewing. Thanks again.

pack it yo
Aug 6, 2007

Goldaline posted:

Not the most exciting project either, I guess, but we're both happy. :)

Really great work! I am in love with your jacket. Thanks so much for sharing!

As for me, I'm currently washing a genuine leather jacket in the washing machine/dryer in hopes of shrinking it a size or so. I already washed it last night & it did shrink with no damage, so I'm hoping another wash will make it fit real well. It's a Wilson's leather jacket, if anyone is interested, and I did some minor research online before sticking it in the washer. Big risk, but it turned out just fine and I got it with a $50 coupon from eBay and it was way too big, so I was willing to take the chance.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Made a hoody with some fabric from Spoonflower for a fellow goon for a secret Santa gift. Pretty pleased with the pattern matching.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
Anyone make their own swimsuits?

I have an irrational compulsion to have a one piece, but I have a freakishly long torso and I'm just not digging the long-torsoed options out there. It would be magical to have one that was actually comfortable and didn't feel like it was trying to slice me in half right up the middle. I've got a decent machine, but I haven't sewn spandex or really any stretch before. Tips and such much appreciated.

Totally unrelated pictures, but here is this thing I did! Apologies if I've bragged about it before, I can't remember the last time I posted and am too lazy to check. Basically the laziest excuse for a quilt ever, but I love it anyway. It's supposed to be like a tree with a heart carved in it, the back is a ridiculous awesome floral bonanza.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Asstro Van posted:

Anyone make their own swimsuits?

I have an irrational compulsion to have a one piece, but I have a freakishly long torso and I'm just not digging the long-torsoed options out there. It would be magical to have one that was actually comfortable and didn't feel like it was trying to slice me in half right up the middle. I've got a decent machine, but I haven't sewn spandex or really any stretch before. Tips and such much appreciated.

Totally unrelated pictures, but here is this thing I did! Apologies if I've bragged about it before, I can't remember the last time I posted and am too lazy to check. Basically the laziest excuse for a quilt ever, but I love it anyway. It's supposed to be like a tree with a heart carved in it, the back is a ridiculous awesome floral bonanza.

That quilt looks mega cozy!

I've made swim bottoms for myself, pus a the weird spandexy singlet things you can see earlier in this thread. A serger really helps if you can get access to one, but you can do it with a regular machine too. See if it has a stretch stitch, but if not, zigzag will work ok too. Make sure you set the presserfoot to the lightest pressure or it'll drag the layers around. Don't try to cut multiple layers of spandex at once, it slides and curls like a mother. wawak.com is the cheapest place I've found for notions like swim elastic. spandexhouse.com is my favorite/cheapest for fabric, I know the site is janky-their cart system doesn't even take your payment info, they call you to get it-but I've never had any problems.

I think Jalie makes lots of sewing patterns for swimwear. But I'll always recommend just taking an old suit apart and altering as you need.

Found the swim bottoms-I think I actually used a boxer brief tracing for them? I didn't make the rash guards though.

I haven't been posting here lately because I've been distracted with drawing and knitting. But I'm sure I'll swing back to sewing at some point. Sonetimes you have to change up your focus.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.

Goldaline posted:

That quilt looks mega cozy!

I've made swim bottoms for myself, pus a the weird spandexy singlet things you can see earlier in this thread. A serger really helps if you can get access to one, but you can do it with a regular machine too. See if it has a stretch stitch, but if not, zigzag will work ok too. Make sure you set the presserfoot to the lightest pressure or it'll drag the layers around. Don't try to cut multiple layers of spandex at once, it slides and curls like a mother. wawak.com is the cheapest place I've found for notions like swim elastic. spandexhouse.com is my favorite/cheapest for fabric, I know the site is janky-their cart system doesn't even take your payment info, they call you to get it-but I've never had any problems.

I think Jalie makes lots of sewing patterns for swimwear. But I'll always recommend just taking an old suit apart and altering as you need.

Found the swim bottoms-I think I actually used a boxer brief tracing for them? I didn't make the rash guards though.

I haven't been posting here lately because I've been distracted with drawing and knitting. But I'm sure I'll swing back to sewing at some point. Sonetimes you have to change up your focus.

Awesome, thanks for all the info!! I don't have a serger, but my machine has an overlocking foot and a ton of stitch settings that I have barely scratched the surface of. Pretty sure there are some good stretch options. Time to bust out the manual.

e- holy poo poo that is a lot of spandex. How am I supposed to choose between fish scales or popcorn or frenchfries or ughhhhhh

Asstro Van fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 22, 2016

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Busted out this old machine to enlarge my Mardi Gras costume tonight.

I'm an associate member of our society, so I don't have a costume built to size for me, and have to take whatever's available from the active members who aren't riding.

Actually turned out halfway decent, considering I haven't sewed anything in 15 years or so.

Ripped the seams under the arms and added a 3" strip of fabric under each.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I bought a sewing machine this week and just spent the last couple hours fixing all my pants since my iron-on hems have all failed.

I have eternal troubles finding pants that fit off the rack since all pants seem to be designed for Amazonian women (I am 5'7 and still cannot buy a pair of pants off the rack that I don't need to hem, but then the short inseam is way too short) so I was kicking around the idea of trying to sew my own pants. How difficult are pants to sew? I'm looking at a standard pair of women's dress pants which don't seem too difficult on the surface.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I bought a sewing machine this week and just spent the last couple hours fixing all my pants since my iron-on hems have all failed.

I have eternal troubles finding pants that fit off the rack since all pants seem to be designed for Amazonian women (I am 5'7 and still cannot buy a pair of pants off the rack that I don't need to hem, but then the short inseam is way too short) so I was kicking around the idea of trying to sew my own pants. How difficult are pants to sew? I'm looking at a standard pair of women's dress pants which don't seem too difficult on the surface.

Pants are not impossible to sew especially with practice but if you're looking at blue jeans, sewing them is going to be prohibitive from both cost and time perspectives since your machine more than likely will have a hard time with denim and raw materials may cost more than finished clothes. If you're looking for the sweet spot wrt time and money, buying pants long and hemming them would definitely be it.

That said, when you can sew, the thrift shop can be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

NancyPants posted:

Pants are not impossible to sew especially with practice but if you're looking at blue jeans, sewing them is going to be prohibitive from both cost and time perspectives since your machine more than likely will have a hard time with denim and raw materials may cost more than finished clothes. If you're looking for the sweet spot wrt time and money, buying pants long and hemming them would definitely be it.

That said, when you can sew, the thrift shop can be awesome.

Definitely not jeans, looking more at dress pants for work. I looked at the Burda website and all their pants options for beginners are butt ugly.

I kinda want to make my own pants so I can finally have a pair of pants with adequate pockets. Although I guess I could find an existing pair of pants and just put in bigger pockets.