Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Loiosh posted:

There shall be much crashing of m50s and hornets into connies and rets. We're about to do dinner, but I'll be on sometime on the weekend.

Dinner? This is all so sudden!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
I did not think there was any food left in the 'verse

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Which would explain the high prices of tomato juice

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Toysrme posted:

it's not my fault you don't have 4k monitors like i do....

more seriously, sorry, after living with 3x 4k monitors for a year its difficult to remember that you have 12x 1080p screens worth of real estate and other people may have to scroll around on.

TY
I run three 4k monitors but have them in 640 x 480 at all times

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6065229/#Comment_6065229

Oops

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Oh my sweet summer child, I have such sights to show you. :cenobite:

This piece of poo poo can't come out for real fast enough.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MeLKoR posted:

His username... clearly its Derek Smart :tinfoil:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MeLKoR posted:

Little does he know.
I will remember that post and hold a grudge in this videOH LOOK SOMETHING SHINY!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The price for a Judas in SC is a golden hangar trinket.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Toysrme posted:

So I got a 30-day ban and a "final warning" from their website for:
1) following their own rules
2) comments made here that "incite a riot against their moderation staff"
3) showing a "got banned message" in public. excuse me? there are no rules or contract telling me I could not.

you should forward this to any of the gaming websites that have criticized the game and its fans

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

MeLKoR posted:

I was going to post about getting the game after "release," and ramming them in cheap disposable ships over and over but I think they figured that out already.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Toysrme posted:

3) showing a "got banned message" in public. excuse me? there are no rules or contract telling me I could not.

Lol

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Loiosh posted:

Sweet, I heard Javelins were going on sale next week.

... (ed - I'm kidding, I'm pretty good with what I've got.)

I'm just glad they fixed a lot of the most obvious crashes. There's still a ton of jank to deal with, but hey, 2.0. I guess that's a good start.

Right there with you. I played for about an hour before the server had some kind of soft crash, but for all that it's a lot more stable and playable. Multi-crew still needs a boatload of work before it's viable but at least now there's a platform to do it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Someone is very concerned about being swarmed:

Multi Crew will not survive without Physically Based Damage posted:

A lot of people here might not really have an idea of what is really going on with multi crew so I will explain it in terms of how to define what each major size class of ship should be capable of doing and I will use very basic 4th grade level math to explain some of the concepts with examples to prove a point. The first thing that needs to be stated however, is that there should be a reason why a person would want to fly any ship regardless of size.

Smaller ships can leverage their mobility and size in battle to fight other small craft. It is important to note that in any situation where you have superior speed and maneuverability over a foe, if you don't want to be caught you will not be caught. In this manner, it is important to also mention that in single seaters you are much more likely to leverage the advantage of being able to determine the terms you fight on, or even IF you fight at all vs any other class of ship. This leverage is not something mid sized ships posses which means they need tactics that they can employ in order to make them viable and practical in situations where smaller ships will be involved, as well as larger class vessels. If you ONLY use HP and damage to balance the game, you cannot possibly achieve a healthy game balance because every engagement will turn into a flavor of the month mono-boating extravaganza. Whatever is the cheapest way to get the maximum amount of damage shooting at stuff. In other words SPAM tactics, or EVE-ONLINE 2 (the blob).

Ships even cutlass sized cannot simply be made faster or more maneuverable to compensate for their significantly larger size when it comes to taking hits, and oncoming fire. Even if the cutlass moved like a gladius in combat, that would not actually help the ships viability much because it is ~3x larger than a gladius, so unless you want to make the ship 3x more manueverable as well, it will not be able to leverage dodging and juking to avoid weapons fire in the same manner as even a hornet is capable (to a certain extent). If you give the ship more HP that doesn't actually change anything either aside from making killing cutlass less fun because you have to grind through the extra HP, but what weapons you use to do this task don't actually matter. When we examine all other multi crew ships past the cutlass you run into the same fundamental issues, the size of the ship does not make dog-fighting and the same style of piloting a viable tactics candidate whether fighting larger or smaller vessels.

Enter physically based damage. Right now in the game armor has a blanket percentage of damage that it reduces. This in effect is not really any different than buffing HP, and is actually a terrible idea. If a target takes 30% less damage from lasers for example, it will take 70% damage from weapons regardless of the size of those weapons, meaning that the previous SPAM tactics I was explaining before still work equally as effectively as if ships just had MOAR HP. What is required is an armor system that absorbs a certain threshold of damage which has to be defeated before the ship takes any damage.

Example:

A ship has armor that absorbs 50 points of damage from an oncoming projectile. One projectile strikes the ship for 75 damage, one projectile strikes the ship for 100 damage, and one projectile strikes the ship for 150 damage. The first projectile does 25 damage, the 2nd projectile does 50 damage, the third projectile does 100 damage.

In this example each projectile does multiplicative damage to a much greater extent than the percentage of damage that was increased. A 33% increase in damage yielded double the effective damage, and a 100% increase in damage yielded a 400% increase in the effective damage. If you look at it in reverse though a target without ANY armor is essentially getting "over penetrated" in a way. If you had to chose between two guns doing 75 damage and one gun doing 100, the two guns would always be better, but with the armored target you would want the larger gun, and in many ways it might be necessary depending on just how strong the armor is.

So now for the the next MOST important part of this speil. History. Armor is heavy. You don't see body armor that protects fingers the same way it protects the chest. Naval vessels are the same. This technique for naval architecture was known as "All or Nothing." The idea is that certain parts were critical to survival, whereas other areas were necessary for the ship to function, but if they were destroyed the ship will still be operable and combat effective. The most heavily armored portions of ships were ammunition magazines, engine rooms, and main turrets (not secondary or AAA). You can even say the same logic was applied to A-10's with the titanium bathtub, and armor on the underside of the engines, and tanks as well as human body armor. You just cannot protect everything equally. This same concept is essential with something like multi crew and physically based damage, because even if you do not have weapons that can penetrate a ships citadel, there are still weaker and less protected areas that could be destroyed even if it will not result in the destruction of the ship. This in may ways is also necessary for multi crew, because there will not be any way to reliably board and capture multi crew ships otherwise. Parts of a ship that would DEFINITLY be citidel zones would be cockpits / bridges / CIC, Powerplants, Main Thrusters, and Ammo Magazines and STS turrets, whereas maneuvering thrusters, Point defense turrets, ATA turrets, ECM / Radar / navigation, avionics, ect would be more vulnerable as those areas would have much less protection.

Next it is absolutely necessary to define the role of what each type of weapon or projectile will do. It was stated a long time ago that torpedoes would ignore shields, but I actually think that all missiles should ignore shields. At the moment shields don't really protect ships what i would call adequately, and I feel that some explanation for what makes the most sense to me at least for shields is. First shields should provide damage resistance vs on coming projectiles enough so that it makes the armor MUCH more effective at entirely defeating projectiles of insufficient caliber, and significantly reducing the damage of sufficient caliber rounds. This is because it makes the most sense to think of shields as something to dampen oncoming projectiles and protect the ship from cosmic radiation. Energy weapons would be completely absorbed by the shields, and act as a means to deplete them more quickly as intended. Missiles on the other hand have shaped charges, and so having them inertially dampened does not really change that the explosive charge is what is doing the damage, not traditional penetration. The distinction that missiles and torpedoes need has nothing to do with shields, but again with armor and the "all or nothing" strategy that I mentioned before.

Missiles should have a larger "splash" zone and mainly be used for targets with inferior armor, or to disable the vulnerable parts of ships who are too armored to destroy with missiles of that size. Torpedoes should have a much smaller "splash" zone, but be designed primarily for penetrating armored citadels. This means that in order to destroy a larger ship you must either need to disable and board it, or bring sufficiently sized torpedoes and or projectile weapons to defeat the armor, and without energy weapons the projectile weapons will be much more difficult to destroy the ship. This also means that weapons like torpedoes are much less likely to damage sub components unless they are directly struck, however if using such weapons the objective should be destruction, and not disabling.

Lastly on the topic of energy weapons. CR has stated that he thinks energy weapons should do more damage to armor than projectiles. that is a terrible idea and this is why. If energy weapons deplete shields faster, AND armor faster, AND don't use ammo, everyone will monoboat energy weapons. Energy weapons should ALWAYS have a positive combat effect on a target, but that effect does not have to be OUTRIGHT DESTRUCTION. It makes the most sense for energy weapons striking a ships armor to transfer a large amount of heat to where the stikes occur. As you know components that are overheated will start to malfunction and even take heat damage. If you want to disable a ship and you don't have large enough projectiles to take out the main thrusters for example, you can simply overheat them until they stop functioning.

I bring all of this up, because ships like the Connie and Tali will not really be dogfighters, and they don't necessarily need huge guns on turrets to make them solo pwnmobiles against fighters and capitol ships alike. What they need is sufficient amounts of protection so that it takes a directed effort to defeat them, rather than some bored punk with an aurora and a pair of CF-007 lasers. It also really defines a paradigm shift when it comes to making the decision to be part of multi crew, or go at it solo. I used math to explain how you can use damage resistance in order to balance weapon damage so that armored targets do not require huge pools of HP to defeat but rather the proper weapon, and the role and purpose that each major weapon type should perform from projectiles, to energy weapons, to missiles and torpedoes.

There are still other things required in order to make multi crew FUN, but this is the bare minimum required to make multi crew ships as a whole work in game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is star citizen good yet

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Eonwe posted:

Is star citizen good yet

From a certain point of view.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Toysrme posted:

Hey Lesnick, Probate this!

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mirificus posted:

Someone is very concerned about being swarmed:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

IrvingWashington posted:

Which would explain the high prices of tomato juice

Why does a Bloody Mary cost 33 times as much as a beer? I'm sick of CIGs elitist 1%er nonsense, where the haves get high end vodka and nutritious tomato juices and garnishes, and the have nots get natty ice light with too many carbs and nasty flavor.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Eonwe posted:

Is star citizen good yet

Soooo happy that everyone get the oppertunity to play 2.0 : D
NOW the PU rly start to come alive. YES you will get bored if you just follow the missions and after that "its over".
Start to role play and see what happens, i dare you ;)

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

FrankieGoes posted:

Why does a Bloody Mary cost 33 times as much as a beer? I'm sick of CIGs elitist 1%er nonsense, where the haves get high end vodka and nutritious tomato juices and garnishes, and the have nots get natty ice light with too many carbs and nasty flavor.

Luckily you will be able to melt your POTATO for free spacevodka

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Dapper Dan posted:

Another part of the problem is that what they've released doesn't compare to other games that are going along at the same level. There's still no indication of major game systems, any real evidence of the single player campaign, mostly busted animations, a tech demo that is basically make your own fun ala Elite Dangerous with much, much less content and many more bugs, exceedingly bad motion capture despite having spent a huge amount of money on it and generally poor management with every milestone missed. There are a lot of warning signs, and games that have followed this pattern generally do not turn out well.

Its the self-indulgence of Ion Storm, the continual re-doing of tech of DNF, the mismanagement of Kurt Shilling combined with the ego of Dennis Dyack with no accountability at all. The whole thing is a perfect storm of gently caress. If this thing ever turns into something decent, it will be in spite of these things.

Whenever I see any random forum threads about SC on the Internets it's always the same individuals circlejerking themselves over game mechanics as if it's a finished game.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

YW

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Kakarot posted:

Soooo happy that everyone get the oppertunity to play 2.0 : D
NOW the PU rly start to come alive. YES you will get bored if you just follow the missions and after that "its over".
Start to role play and see what happens, i dare you ;)

Source your quotes

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
it was me. he was quoting me.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

im gonna rp as a griefer, it's lore-friendly you see

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So I'm downloading this thing now. Can we group up with friends? What's the secret goon channel for crashing our auroras into connies?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Justin Tyme posted:

im gonna rp as a griefer, it's lore-friendly you see

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

MeLKoR posted:

How does shitposting feel with that many pixels?

It's exquisite.

Even better when it's work that bought you the monitors with ARE TAX DOLLARS

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
can you grief without paying them money yet?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

hakimashou posted:

can you grief without paying them money yet?

I believe this week is still fly free.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I believe this week is still fly free.

ooh, when does that end?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
patch server down
could they really not have distributed the files over the course of the past couple weeks? This is hell.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
what can we do to people in this game?>

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kakarot posted:

what can we do to people in this game?>

Roleplay in a space dungeon org

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Holy gently caress is there actually a game now, or is it still just a bunch of space ships floating in space/ walking around in space shopping mall?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

mcclay posted:

Holy gently caress is there actually a game now, or is it still just a bunch of space ships floating in space/ walking around in space shopping mall?

from the videos it looks like people summon their ships onto a launch pad then you either steal them or ram them off before they can get in

Spooooon!!!
Apr 4, 2013
Anyone figure out how to join a contacts server yet? Hard to coordinate demolition derbies.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

mcclay posted:

The latter

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
I bought Star Citizen shortly after the Kickstarter. Since I am in Canada, the Canadian dollar value of the account has gone up since the Canadian dollar has cratered against the US dollar. So I've decided to wait for future declines in the Canadian dollar before getting my refund. Sure, my purchasing power is eroded the longer I wait, but I stand to get more Canadian dollars back, so it must be a better option! At least my logic is consistent with every other stupid aspect of this stupid non-game.

Star Citizen: It's a currency play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Game runs like absolute rear end even on low when I can play UT4 on high, go figure.

Tried to get in a P51 in someone's constellation and got stuck so I had to alt-F4, restart the game and now I can't even get into a server. GOTY.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 12, 2015

• Locked thread