Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Beep Street posted:

Ok at the end of the episode you see Mark and Jez walking away from the viewpoint of someone behind a wheel. Who could that be?

The last scene of the last ep will be a Sopranos reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

My favorite episode of the season so far. Olivia Colman plays drunk masterfully and her sliding down into the ball pit was hilarious.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Beep Street posted:

Ok at the end of the episode you see Mark and Jez walking away from the viewpoint of someone behind a wheel. Who could that be?

I just assumed it was Super Hans.

It actually seemed kinda ominous. :ohdear:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Stare-Out posted:

My favorite episode of the season so far. Olivia Colman plays drunk masterfully and her sliding down into the ball pit was hilarious.

YES! I also loved Mark burying Sophia in the ballpit and Jez worried that she might not be able to breathe.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Khablam posted:

No one in particular ?

They've been a bit loose with the concept this season. Lots of shots when out of the flat are from random people.

They've always done this though?

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

Khablam posted:

USTV has some good drama series, but oh so much of it (sitcoms / most comedy) is over-sanitised horseshit made for this kind of myopic view. Boring, flat accents. Boring, made-up people.

It is interestingly a US v Europe thing, but the takeaway wants to be the US need to view idealised situations.

Even the US version of Shameless is terrible for it, and that's one time they could have subverted the usual poo poo and created something more genuine.

Agreed as an American. This is also substantially a result of entertainment production in the USA being concentrated in a few coastal localities rather than every region producing material. This allows bizarre norms like "let's only hire impeccably good looking people who can act" to be reinforced.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SalTheBard posted:

YES! I also loved Mark burying Sophia in the ballpit and Jez worried that she might not be able to breathe.

Sophie. Not Sophia.

Definitely better than last week. As someone said a while ago it's always been really interesting watching Sophie sort of collapse from the outside instead of living it with her, I don't know if a sitcom has ever done that before.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Taear posted:

Sophie. Not Sophia.

Definitely better than last week. As someone said a while ago it's always been really interesting watching Sophie sort of collapse from the outside instead of living it with her, I don't know if a sitcom has ever done that before.

O wow, I always thought it was SophiA, which is funny because I have it spelled correctly in the OP

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
I don't think my heart can handle watching the LAST Peep Show ever. I might need to wait and save this upcoming episode for right before I die because living in a new Peep Show-less world is a rather bleak prospect.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Cybershell posted:

I don't think my heart can handle watching the LAST Peep Show ever. I might need to wait and save this upcoming episode for right before I die because living in a new Peep Show-less world is a rather bleak prospect.

I agree. :(

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

massive spider posted:

She was originally intended to be one of the POV leads too so it follows that shes always been written to be a bit rotten underneath.

Ah neat is there anywhere that has some of those shifts and early ideas pitched or started and dropped and why? I've always liked reading up on the "what could've been" stuff, or gimmicks and bits that weren't quite delivered and tweaked about TV shows and movies.

Like how terrible luck with shooting schedules and studio interference and arguments drastically changed Ravenous or The Island of Dr. Moreau with Brando and Kilmer.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Cybershell posted:

It's ok, the entire run will be on 4OD or its many rebrands forever so you'll always be able to go back and watch the better episodes.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Coolness Averted posted:

Ah neat is there anywhere that has some of those shifts and early ideas pitched or started and dropped and why? I've always liked reading up on the "what could've been" stuff, or gimmicks and bits that weren't quite delivered and tweaked about TV shows and movies.

One of the dvds had a mini Peep Show episode from Sophie's point of view (I think it was when she was trying to get pregnant) and I remember it not being as funny as I hoped.

Edit=
https://youtu.be/QaK8GU1WIiw

OK it is quite funny

Rondette fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 11, 2015

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I just realized the last Peep Show comes out so close to the new Star Wars movie. It might even be the same day here in nz. Oh my.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
That ep was okay, but not quite up to the rest of this series so far.

Mainly I'm just disappointed because as soon as they arrived at the Kid Kave, I wanted a slapstick scene of Mark and Jez chasing Ian through the play thing. Sophie passing out down the slide almost made up for it though. Almost.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Thinking about the end of this show is :(

What are people's all time favourite episodes? My top 3 is probably Mark's wedding, the one where Jez and Superhands are given a pub and the one where Jez locks Mark in his room to have a magic mushroom party.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Peep_Show_episodes

Series 3 and 4 was it's prime for me, virtually every episode is a winner.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lot 49 posted:

What are people's all time favourite episodes? My top 3 is probably Mark's wedding, the one where Jez and Superhands are given a pub and the one where Jez locks Mark in his room to have a magic mushroom party.

The one where Mark befriends a neo-Nazi, the visit to Sophie's parents (mostly for the happy birthday bit, which is wonderful in every way) and the Christmas episode.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Mark and Sophie's wedding (which is possibly the greatest single episode of sitcom ever), the Project Zeus episode, and the original Quantocking.

Basically, bad things happening to Mark is always funny.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Vitamin P posted:

That ep was okay, but not quite up to the rest of this series so far.

Mainly I'm just disappointed because as soon as they arrived at the Kid Kave, I wanted a slapstick scene of Mark and Jez chasing Ian through the play thing. Sophie passing out down the slide almost made up for it though. Almost.

Man I can't understand how people disliked this one compared to last week. At least it went somewhere! Last week was a weird set of decisions.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
The way Valerie says "gently caress your shoes!" in the third episode never fails to crack me up and as such it is the best episode.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Disgusting Coward posted:

The way Valerie says "gently caress your shoes!" in the third episode never fails to crack me up and as such it is the best episode.

God yes. I sort of wish she was a semi-recurring character.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Disgusting Coward posted:

That is the best episode and Mark's sudden, ecstatic "I'm having sex with a teenage girl!" is my favourite Peep Show line.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

the original Quantocking.

Super Hans chasing a crack frisbee into the night is probably one of my favorite scenes.

Lot 49 posted:

the one where Jez and Superhands are given a pub

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
It's hard to pick 3, but I can pick one that I loving love and its "the party". Everything about that episode is great "red and yella, cuddly fella. Red next to black, jump the gently caress back". Gerrard getting totally pissed, Marks lasagna. All the primary characters get a good bit. We also get Mark dreaming of Nanas cottage.

I also really like The Holiday, Quantocking, Business Secrets of the Pharoahs, The Gym, and Jeremy Makes It (aka Marks new friend).

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lot 49 posted:

I watched it all way out of order, and convinced my wife to watch them with me. She didn't really "get" it and I didn't necessarily love it, until the wedding episode. I showed my wife and we both cracked up and since then we've both loved the whole thing.

There are so many classic scenes I remember and reference in real life to my wife. No one else I know in real life basically has seen the show (it's not on TV in NZ I think) so I can't do it to other people.

But the reminder of when they ate the dog reminds me of just how down in the gutter this show is and how much I love it

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

^^ I'm also in nz and it definitely doesn't show here. You need Lightbox but screw Lightbox.

Top three:
-Wedding is obligatory.
-New Years. It's the cultivation of so many running story threads. And the end point of that big chapter with Big Suz and such. 'Is that... my baby?' Oh, and super Hans party yes.
-ugghhh crap I don't know so many good ones. Any episode where Sophia and the boys go away on trips is always good. The uni episode wins the award for saddest episode.

It's strange because when I first saw the show i hated it so. So much. It was jarring. I find this a common trope in life; often what I end up loving the most starts with derision.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Interesting............

:)

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Is "That Mitchell and Webb Look" still on TV? Or will their TV careers end with Peep Show?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They both do other stuff. David Mitchell hosted HIGNFY today and recently resumed writing Guardian articles.

He also sometimes pretends to like Lee Mack. No one likes Lee Mack.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The two episodes that I'll show to people who want to get into Peep Show are Jeremy Makes It (aka Mark Befriends a Neo-Nazi) and Vacation... although that one might backfire due to the whole dog eating thing. After that, Wedding is where it's at.

I told my cousin that he'd love this show, but he said he's not a fan of cringe humor the first time around. Boy is he in for some awkward viewing.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The Wedding really is the best episode. I still laugh every time I watch the scene with them hiding up stairs.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I think I've watched it all so many times I'd forgotten it could make you cringe.

Then Sophie rose from her shallow plastic grave in the middle of Mark almost sort of finding happiness.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The prayer bucket

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.
I've seen the last episode and it was pretty good but you wouldn't know it's the last ever ep if you didn't know. It just feels like any of the other "season" finales which I think is probably a good thing.

I'm kinda glad it's over to be honest. I've been watching it from the start and have a lot of goodwill towards the show but season 8 didn't feel right. This run had one great episode and a lot of middling ones, including the final, and I'd hate to see it continue like that. I've only ever been disappointed by Peep Show by comparing it to it's own high standards. I will totally watch the "catchup" season in a decade.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Hey, season 7 isn't as bad as I remembered it.

'Kenneth is what Mark calls his 9 inch dildo'

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

8raz posted:

I've seen the last episode and it was pretty good but you wouldn't know it's the last ever ep if you didn't know. It just feels like any of the other "season" finales which I think is probably a good thing.
So it's like Aqua Teen Hunger Force and the true series finale that debuted on Adult Swim's website? I think that's for the best. Peep Show doesn't seem like it should go out with a big, heartfelt goodbye. Just have things go to the status quo, same as it always has been. I do sorta hope that Mark and Sophie get together. Misery loves company, after all.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

Octy posted:

Hey, season 7 isn't as bad as I remembered it.

'Kenneth is what Mark calls his 9 inch dildo'
We're in season 9!

Y-Hat posted:

So it's like Aqua Teen Hunger Force and the true series finale that debuted on Adult Swim's website? I think that's for the best. Peep Show doesn't seem like it should go out with a big, heartfelt goodbye. Just have things go to the status quo, same as it always has been. I do sorta hope that Mark and Sophie get together. Misery loves company, after all.
I agree. Anything forced wouldn't have felt right.

I don't wanna spoil anything but I hope no-one is expecting some sort of send off or closure. It's just another episode of the show. There's a few moments and scenes which are obviously "this is the last one" nods but it's business as usual for the most part.

8raz fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 12, 2015

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

8raz posted:

We're in season 9!

Yes, but others are doing a rewatch and I thought I'd do my own.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

8raz posted:

We're in season 9!

I agree. Anything forced wouldn't have felt right.

I don't wanna spoil anything but I hope no-one is expecting some sort of send off or closure. It's just another episode of the show. There's a few moments and scenes which are obviously "this is the last one" nods but it's business as usual for the most part.

Sounds like just the send off the characters deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, the whole point is both of them are just trapped in the status quo with one another.

If there was some big event in the finale that totally changed them, it'd be against the point.

• Locked thread