Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

unseenlibrarian posted:

They added another gunslinger Art of War in a recentish kickstarter update, that one being for crossovers from the "Western" setting of Terra. (It's both Western as it's inspired by Europe and the US and and also Western as in there are cowboys.)

I know the Kickstarter stuff is supposed to be available for purchase to nonbackers eventually, is there any date on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

mycot posted:

I know the Kickstarter stuff is supposed to be available for purchase to nonbackers eventually, is there any date on that?

Don't think so. Even the stuff backers got was like pre-layout rough drafts.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Wow, I'd completely forgotten I'd written that. I don't bust out the term "mental masturbation" often, but it's what comes to mind with Immortal.

There's a thing where in Vampire, it makes some sense that you might want to use alternative terms. One, a lot of the terms around vampirism - vampire, bite, suck, drain - are about equally likely to evoke goofball references as much as horror. Two, it does underline the whole theme of secrecy and hidden knowledge. Of course, some of the terms chosen are pretty questionable and the formula has gotten worn out now that it's been applied from everything from elves to frankensteins to devils, but there's at least some logic behind it.

Immortals, on the other hand, don't have to deal with cultural baggage like Lugosi or The Count, nobody would understand what the loving they're talking about, and I guess they want to be secret but it's not like they have as much of a stake in it. It's just a means to try and manufacture gravitas, where more words = more gravitas.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Doresh posted:

Well, it is always good to hear that people can at least partially grow out of the 90s.
Yeah, Immortal has a lot of typical 90s vices, both in the game design and in the writing style. A big part of why I reviewed it is that it takes almost every vice of 90s game writing and does them as hard as it possibly can. The worst single example is probably not the glossary of jargon, but the intro fiction, which is stuffed with the jargon and written in a style best described as Anne Rice on steroids.

Curiously, the first page of the original edition is an in-character note saying "I've organized all these jargon words at the bottom of each page as a guide for new Immortals!" But the idea that the rulebook is some Immortal's journal is immediately abandoned. The new edition actually maintains the "this is a guide for newly-awakened Immortals" conceit throughout, and is a lot better for it.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Immortals, on the other hand, don't have to deal with cultural baggage like Lugosi or The Count, nobody would understand what the loving they're talking about, and I guess they want to be secret but it's not like they have as much of a stake in it. It's just a means to try and manufacture gravitas, where more words = more gravitas.
Funny you say that since Immortal's particular obsession is with pseudo-Latin, despite a handful of prominent exceptions like himsati. Everyone knows Immaculum has more gravitas than just saying Life Force.

Immortal gets compared to Highlander a lot, though it's much too complex to be a blatant ripoff like Legacy. Anyway, one of the reasons Highlander works is that it uses plain English and doesn't have a voluminous mythology behind the action, which is why words like reverie and conclave are so jarring when they show up in games like Legacy and Immortal.

One of Vampire's most confusing legacies is that it actually had three glossaries of in-character jargon: one that most Kindred use most of the time, one for the stuffy old Grampa Munsters, and one for vulgar gutter slang. Games like Immortal and Everlasting took this as a cue to not only have literally hundreds of jargon words, but to have 4 or 5 words that mean the same thing.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 9, 2015

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
Immortal is the true thinking man's RPG. Also reminds me a bit of German Officialese using what appears to be germanized English words because they make you sound more professional or something.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Focusing once again on single-crew subs, this has a vulnerable cockpit just as above, but has a blast shield that goes over it if broken and the system switches to cameras. Wait, why does this have a cockpit at all, then...? In any case, it's slightly tougher than the XS-20, and has slightly better rail guns, mini-torpedoes, and tiny robo arms. It also is "very silent" and enables use of the prowl skill, in one of those "I didn't know you couldn't do that in a vehicle until you just mentioned it" rulings.

So instead of the blast shield going down as soon as even the vaguest hint of an enemy appears on the radar, it waits until after the glass has been broken, spelling doom for the pilot who either dies through glass shards, whatever projectile managed to pierce through the glass, various explosions and the all the lovely water and pressure eager to say hello?

I guess these designs were heavily influenced by civilian exploration mini-subs, but they're not really supposed to fight against anything.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Don't think so. Even the stuff backers got was like pre-layout rough drafts.

Oh well, as long as the draft will finally include the mass combat rules for true Wartetsubo 40k, I can wait.

EDIT: Fun fact: Tenra's Wild West continent was hinted at in the reports of a Kongohki who was launched into space with a missile.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 9, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, Immortal always felt like a bait-and-switch for people looking to swing swords to the sound of Queen but get a game where you play color-coded singing magical otherkin instead.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Halloween Jack posted:

I also don't know of any other game with a Timeline that covers 65,000,000 years. Maybe Fading Suns?
The Mokole book for old Werewolf kind of did, but usually only in a poetic sense, and with some logic to it as the Mokole are reptile shapeshifters and predate all this werewolf bullshit.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, Immortal always felt like a bait-and-switch for people looking to swing swords to the sound of Queen but get a game where you play color-coded singing magical otherkin instead.

It may be that I'm in the middle of reading Imajica, but that last part sounds suspiciously like something Barker would work into the background of one of his stories.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Tasoth posted:

It may be that I'm in the middle of reading Imajica, but that last part sounds suspiciously like something Barker would work into the background of one of his stories.
I haven't read any of his books, but I'm told that Weaveworld is inarguably a big influence on the game.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Part 23: "The standard skill does NOT include medicines derived from the oceans and seas, likewise, the sea holistic knowledge does NOT include most of the land herbs and plants (only a handful of the very most basic and common items)."

Underwater Skills

Let's compare and contrast:
  • Mechanical Engineer and Submersible Vehicle Mechanics
  • Holistic Medicine and Sea Holistic Medicine
  • Demolitions and Underwater Demolitions
  • Track Animal or Hunting and Track & Hunt Sea Animals
  • Wilderness Survival and Undersea and Sea Survival
  • Boat: Motor and Hydrofoil and Boat: Warships/Patrol Boats
  • Biology and Marine Biology
  • Navigation and Underwater Navigation
  • W.P. Heavy and W.P. Torpedo
  • W.P. Polearm and W.P. Trident
On the left, a skill from a previous book. On the right, a new skill from Underseas. It's classic skill bloat. Oh, you thought your old skill covered doing something at sea? Well, now it doesn't, or at least gets a hefty penalty. It's even worse with skills like Mechanical Engineer that already imply you're a seasoned professional. Well, not anymore, landlubber.

Worse, there's "Undersea Farming" even though there's no "Farming" skill. There's "Undersea Salvage" but no "Salvage" skill. We're now told that even though buying "Fishing" twice increases it to a professional level in the core, it turns out you need the "Advanced Fishing" skill to fish commerically. That's right. If you want to know all about fishing, that's three skill picks. You have Marine Biology, which requires three other skills as well, making it effectively four skill picks to take.

gently caress the skill section. :argh:

Oooops...

Some XP tables and house ads wrap up the page count. It's interesting to note that they advertise for the upcoming Rifts World Book 12: Psyscape by CJ Carella, but it turns out he would leave Palladium long before that book was released. As a result, it would actually be delayed by roughly a year as they got another writer and manuscript, not coming out until after World Book 16. Yes, 12 came after 16.This means the summary provided is highly inaccurate.

It promises the hidden community of Psyscape (yup) and a danger moving them to act (yup). However, the advert for Psyscape also promises classes like the Astral Warrior (nope), Psi-Filer (nope), Mirage Weaver (nope), Gate Maker (nope), and Psyche Killer (nope). It talks about pushing forward a plot with the Federation of Magic (nope) and Coalition States (nope). It promises art by RK Post (nope), Wayne Breaux (yup), and Vince Martin (nope). Finally, it says it'll be 160 pages (yup) and $16.95 (yup). Most of their other ads are for existing books at the time of this printing, but it's amusing to see what they originally intended for that book.

What is a "Psi-Filer", anyway? Would they bring the powers of the mind to bureaucracy? The world will almost certainly never know.

"Where are we now?" "I don't know, I don't think this place is in the book!"

The Bottom of the Sea

There are a few things missing in this book. First, Lemuria is referenced constantly, but as mentioned before, won't be described for nearly two decades. Second, it's heavily implied the Coalition have a navy, but not described. That'll come in Rifts Sourcebook Four: Coalition Navy two years later, and it has all the skullboats your little heart desires. If your heart desires those things, anyway. Also, it has crab men, but tells us we can't play them because it'd be too hard to play them because they can't stay on land forever. In a game where you can play a whale.

This is a fun setting on the surface, but the problem with reading Rifts books is that actually going in depth will often take all the enthusiasm out of your sails. Playing dolphins helping out an ancient US submarine fight noncanonthulu seems like it could definite make for a rad game, but it requires you to discard a lot of the details to make it work. A lot of the vehicles honestly have cool designs but then Siembieda's formulaic design work makes them very similar and dull mechanically. The deeper you go, the less stuff makes sense. This is honestly one of the more intriguing and original Rifts books, but it doesn't have a lot of deep thought to the implementation.

Hope you enjoyed the review! If I ever get to Coalition Navy, though, I may require an intervention.

Next: We're comin' up to shore and I have to get all this indexed on the wiki. Next book? Weeaboos rejoice.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 21, 2015

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

"Sea holistic medicine" is amazing.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
"Coming up next, Kevin Trudolphin with natural sea cures "they" don't want you to know about!"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

That Old Tree posted:

"Sea holistic medicine" is amazing.

Isn't it, though? The kicker is because so much the damage in the game is M.D.C., it's pretty useless. I'm willing to presume this sort of nonsense works in a game where magic works (though why it isn't magic in the first place is puzzling), but it's not going to come into play unless you give the PCs an illness to cope with. Granted, Rifts has no real rules for nonmagical illness, so you'd just have to wing it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Granted, Rifts has no real rules for nonmagical illness, so you'd just have to wing it.

Flipper it, more like.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

JackMann posted:

"Coming up next, Kevin Trudolphin with natural sea cures "they" don't want you to know about!"

Kevin Swimbieda. :v:

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
That art is so rad it makes me want to play RIFTS. Or another game in the same setting with the same art.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Count Chocula posted:

That art is so rad it makes me want to play RIFTS. Or another game in the same setting with the same art.
Frankly I almost think you could do a PBTA hack for RIFTS that could let you use most of this material. Just have moves that let you derive advantage from nitpicky bullshit in the rules texts if you can spin it right.

What would the stats be? I guess PPE (psi/magic), MDC (super weaponry), but where from there? I think it'd all need to preserve as many random acronyms as possible and enforce alignment roleplay

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Nessus posted:

Frankly I almost think you could do a PBTA hack for RIFTS that could let you use most of this material. Just have moves that let you derive advantage from nitpicky bullshit in the rules texts if you can spin it right.

What would the stats be? I guess PPE (psi/magic), MDC (super weaponry), but where from there? I think it'd all need to preserve as many random acronyms as possible and enforce alignment roleplay

Isn't Kevin Siembieda super paranoid and sue-happy about any possible conversions from his own system?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Doresh posted:

Isn't Kevin Siembieda super paranoid and sue-happy about any possible conversions from his own system?

I imagine it would be very hard to sue someone for a homebrew they don't charge for.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

theironjef posted:

I imagine it would be very hard to sue someone for a homebrew they don't charge for.

It's the effort that counts.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Kevin Siembieda doesn't want any material from RiftsTM or any other PalladiumTM games appearing anywhere on the Internet. I've heard he believes a lot of silly fallacies about how copyright law, such as the canard that D20 conversions will allow WotC to steal your intellectual property, and that allowing homebrew to proliferate on the Internet will erode and nullify Palladium's copyrights. (How do we know what he believes? I don't know; he may have said these things himself on his forums.)

theironjef posted:

Palladium would probably lose in court, but it's not going to go to court. They've shut down a lot of sites with cease-and-desist letters. Nobody's going to spend the time and money going to court to defend a webpage of game homebrew.

The really disgusting thing is that Kevin treats Palladium like a religion. He spends pages in The Rifter exhorting his fanbase to evangelize Palladium, then does things like shutting down fansites and banning people from his forums for being insufficiently worshipful. Every now and then you will see a rant on the RPGnet forums or elsewhere wherein someone explains how they were the biggest Palladium fan for years, but after some recent incident they're finally done.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 11, 2015

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

That's the issue - Rifts and Palladin may not have a lot to their name, but they got a lot cash then your average hobbyist, who may not understand copyright law that well either, so it's often much easier to just fold and walk away.

And really, everything that comes up paints Kevin Siembieda as a man with a massive ego and believes himself to be far more talented and influential then he really is, I can only imagine what a nightmare it is to work for him.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Oh I'll fix his little wagon:

Class: The Juicer
Juicers burn bright and die young, like a candle with gasoline on it. Implanted with systems designed to keep a constant cocktail of drugs running through their system (not sure why they bother, kids these days seem to get this done by just going to parties), Juicers are faster, stronger, tougher, and meaner than just about anyone, except Bernice.

Core Stat: Rage
Core Mechanic:
The Good: High, Strung - Twice per day, a Juicer can roll twice for any initiative check, and use the highest of the two results. If the Juicer actually wins with both rolls, he receives an optional +1 to any results of his action.
The Bad: Bio-Over-Compensation - Opposing players may apply a -1 penalty to a Juicer’s attempt to perform gentle or slow tasks, carry on conversation, or enjoy nonviolent activities.
The Ugly: Loose the Juice - The Juicer can turn any challenge roll into a combat roll, forcing the challenged character to roll Fight or Exercise - Second Amendment Rights instead of the skill they were planning to use. If the roll fails spectacularly, the Juicer gains 1 XP.

Starting Feats: Anger Management (May apply -1 to personal Rage challenges), Getting Punchy (May apply -1 to challenges involving fisticuffs)
Skills: Fighting at 2 and pick three from: Law Enforcement, Exercise - Second Amendment Rights, Sports, Drinking, Heavy Machine Operation, Recreational Drug Use

theironjef fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 11, 2015

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
I can already feel a disturbance in the Rifts copyright.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

While it's already too much, there have "only" been a couple handfuls of C&D's from Palladium as far as I've ever heard. Kevin has said some weird, dumb poo poo about what he thinks copyright law means, usually on ancient threads on his forum. But in recent years he's mellowed/given up/no one gives a poo poo enough to create and support a Palladium fan site big enough for him to notice. It's basically random. There are sites out there that have been up for over a decade. Like many things Palladium, it appears whimsy is a key factor.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I did actually sort-of-vaguely like Immortal's idea of doing multiple skill checks at the same time and keeping them all on the same scale. So that if you're good at Perception and working out where things are, you're generally good at that whatever situation it is, unlike the issue you end up with in D20 and other games with combat/skill segregation where your Perception doesn't help you if you're shooting, and conversely being really good at shooting automatically makes you good at dealing with any possible circumstances that come up while you are shooting.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Nessus posted:

It honestly wouldn't be hard to do a PbtA conversion. I wouldn't worry about the acronyms (and especially not the SDC / MDC divide); Rifts is not a game where the system is tied to any of the themes or setting, aside from the genuinely interesting PPE (Potential Psychic Energy, aka Mana) and ley line mechanics. The big thing with PbtA is that you'd probably dial it back to a subsection of the Rifts setting, or make the playbooks exceedingly broad archetypes, though the former would probably be able to get the feel better in my opinion.

I've poked a little at a FATE implementation, and I'm hardly the only one, but I struggle to actually justify spending time working on it. (Then again, I do these reviews...)

Robindaybird posted:

And really, everything that comes up paints Kevin Siembieda as a man with a massive ego and believes himself to be far more talented and influential then he really is, I can only imagine what a nightmare it is to work for him.

A good number of Palladium's old guard are his old gaming buddies who basically give him a pat on the back and a thumbs up to just about anything he does. Well, except for the one that robbed him and ran off. And why wouldn't they, really? I know some of them certainly pull their weight in things like shipping and whatnot, but I struggle at figuring at what (their chief editor) Alec Marciniszyn does for the company, because editing sure isn't part of it. Getting paid for decades despite complete incompetency seems like a pretty sweet deal.

But then, competent people would tell him things he doesn't want to hear, I suppose.

Edit: that's not to say there aren't any competent people at Palladium. There have been and are; there's only just so much that can be done in that kind of company atmosphere.

That Old Tree posted:

While it's already too much, there have "only" been a couple handfuls of C&D's from Palladium as far as I've ever heard.

Yeah. I've always been interested in talking to somebody that's received one to get a look at the actual C&D letter, but often it's couched in "I had a friend that..". It's almost no doubt happened but it's very hard to find evidence or detail - and it's likely no such mailings have gone in a good long time. I think Bill Coffin's public shaming of Palladium did a lot to make them realize just how much damage bad blood could do to the company and has caused them to tread far more lightly on the internet than they used to.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It honestly wouldn't be hard to do a PbtA conversion. I wouldn't worry about the acronyms (and especially not the SDC / MDC divide); Rifts is not a game where the system is tied to any of the themes or setting, aside from the genuinely interesting PPE (Potential Psychic Energy, aka Mana) and ley line mechanics.

It depends on what mood you want to encourage, of course, but in my PBtA Rifts game, the stats are all those dumb, obtuse abbreviations because that's part of the fun. You don't charm them by rolling +Cool, you roll +PB!

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Exceedingly broad archetypes would work fine for Rifts, since most classes already *DO* fall into fairly broad classifications; You have Skilled (Rogue Scientist, Cyberdoc), Augmented (Juicer, Cyborg), Magical (Ley Line Walker, Warlock), Psychic (Mind Melter, Psy-Knight), Vehicle Specialist (Glitter Boys, Giant Robots, etc), and Mutant/D-Bee (Dog Boys, Psi-Stalker). That some playbooks would have crossover can be solved with some Archetype-hybridizing moves.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

That Old Tree posted:

While it's already too much, there have "only" been a couple handfuls of C&D's from Palladium as far as I've ever heard. Kevin has said some weird, dumb poo poo about what he thinks copyright law means, usually on ancient threads on his forum. But in recent years he's mellowed/given up/no one gives a poo poo enough to create and support a Palladium fan site big enough for him to notice. It's basically random. There are sites out there that have been up for over a decade. Like many things Palladium, it appears whimsy is a key factor.

Aren't we also waiting for an official Savage Worlds adaptation, last I heard?

Punting posted:

Exceedingly broad archetypes would work fine for Rifts, since most classes already *DO* fall into fairly broad classifications; You have Skilled (Rogue Scientist, Cyberdoc), Augmented (Juicer, Cyborg), Magical (Ley Line Walker, Warlock), Psychic (Mind Melter, Psy-Knight), Vehicle Specialist (Glitter Boys, Giant Robots, etc), and Mutant/D-Bee (Dog Boys, Psi-Stalker). That some playbooks would have crossover can be solved with some Archetype-hybridizing moves.

I hate to bring up stillborn projects, but one of my ideas was to come up with a "Not-Rifts" game that did something similar to this, although I actually separated the Glitter Boy from power armored mercs by making them Lost World Paladins and giving them some sort of special weapon, be it something like the Glitter Boy, a super truck-helicopter hybrid (or landmaster or battletruck), a super car, or a special bike. I think one of the abilities I was brainstorming is to sacrifice their chosen steed and be able to rebuild one, find one or regain another one in the next game session, to kinda keep with the theme (especially with RIFTS, where you stumble across Glitter Boys like mad through out game play).

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 12, 2015

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Young Freud posted:

Aren't we also waiting for an official Savage Worlds adaptation, last I heard?

Yeah, but it's still pretty early so we can't honestly pronounce doom, yet. Though after the RoboTactics mess, I wouldn't begrudge anyone the prediction no matter the noise that gets made about Kevin being hands off (which is something I haven't heard).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

That Old Tree posted:

It depends on what mood you want to encourage, of course, but in my PBtA Rifts game, the stats are all those dumb, obtuse abbreviations because that's part of the fun. You don't charm them by rolling +Cool, you roll +PB!
Yeah, that's what I was thinking; the "fighty violence" stat is called MDC because this is Rifts, motherfucker.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I have a copy of an old White Wolf magazine from way, way, way back, that has an interview with KS in it. At one point he gets really indignant over some fly by night company (I think one Wizards of the Coast) claiming that their generic sourcebook is compatible with the Palladium system, among other games. Indignant enough that he sued, and came off as an enormous prick even then.

A few years later, when the Internet began to strangle dialup BBSes, Siembieda apparently took one look at TSR playing whack-a-mole with 'netbook' authors and people using terms like 'AC' and 'HP' without 'permission', and poo poo a brick. Support, both official and unofficial, was basically through a third-party Palladium mailing list. Kevin or Maryann would drop in from time to time to levy a ruling on some rules question or another, and for the longest time the rule about Palladium stuff on the Internet was that there was none aside from the very sparse Palladium website. Mailing list discussions were fine, but anything that smacked of publishing was verboten.

This changed at one point... I think maybe 95-96. Palladium did an about-face on fansites, but they required that every page that concerned mechanics for any aspect of the Palladium system had to have a solid paragraph of legal boilerplate attached as a footer, disclaiming that all of the acronyms, et alia were owned entirely by Palladium Games and used only with grudging permission. It came out to four or five lines at 640x480.

These days, I can't be hosed to check. There's probably a note about it on their site somewhere still, but 99% of the old fansites are gone-- they were uploaded to student accounts, or made on Geocities, or the few megs of web hosting that ISPs offered as an incentive back in the day, and were quietly swept into the dustbin of history. I know some stuff from the early mailing list actually made it to print; someone used Werewolf: the Apocalypse as a very obvious template for their own werewolf-oriented Nightbane supplement shortly after Nightspawn was published, and many years later the same Tribes of the Moon popped up in a Rifter.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
After seeing it mentionned so many times in this thread, I finally decided to try and listen to System Mastery. In chronological order, cause that's how I roll.

I just started laughing out loud at the transformation table jokes (first episode Heroes Unlimited). This is a good start.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

MonsieurChoc posted:

After seeing it mentionned so many times in this thread, I finally decided to try and listen to System Mastery. In chronological order, cause that's how I roll.

I just started laughing out loud at the transformation table jokes (first episode Heroes Unlimited). This is a good start.

Welcome to the party! You're in for a fun ride! :)

I just donated to the Patreon this week. Money well spent!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
"That's the speed of a bullet! You just shot me."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

MonsieurChoc posted:

The one about Prime Directive, I think episode 4, is what hooked me. I love hearing about train wrecks.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

"That's the speed of a bullet! You just shot me."

Man I have no idea what that joke was. Over the years we've basically switched from cursing for effect to being wacky for effect, but I think we're zeroing in on a good balance soon.

Or I'm just in a good mood because we did an Afterthought intro today, and that's always my favorite part of the cycle.

Man I just listened to this to figure out what that joke was, and am thrilled to remember how quickly we realized my cat wants to be on mic all the time.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 12, 2015

Grnegsnspm
Oct 20, 2003

This is the dawning of the Age of Aquarian 2: Electric Boogaloo
Oh my god. Listening to the first episode is just loving embarrassing. We have not found our footing at all yet there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Grnegsnspm posted:

Oh my god. Listening to the first episode is just loving embarrassing. We have not found our footing at all yet there.

Still, you guys got into the groove ridiculously quick compared to most podcasts I'm familiar with.

• Locked thread