Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

SectumSempra posted:

Do the witch-hunter just have like a demeritium cloud around them or something or can the magic people not pool their powers and defeat them

Like the magic from just keira, yenn and triss made a least a least abit of difference in the battle for Kaer, and those guys are way more powerful then your average dude signing up to kill witches just cause. so I can't see how they're so easily over-powered by the witch hunters and crew. I definitely see theres some story reasoning, I just feel like i missed it and its likely more in the W1 and W2 then here.

Never got that part either. If anything The Witcher 2 showed us that it only takes less than a dozen mages to obliterate an army. All of Redenia should be a crater after pissing off every mage in the north.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007
My lame-rear end Igni attacks make Witch Hunters scream in pain for 10 to 15 seconds; look at what Yen does in the opening scene of the game, she should be able to easily murder at least tens of them at a time. They seem like they recruited a bunch of rabid fanatics off the streets and handed them a sword.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

SectumSempra posted:

Do the witch-hunter just have like a demeritium cloud around them or something or can the magic people not pool their powers and defeat them

Like the magic from just keira, yenn and triss made a least a least abit of difference in the battle for Kaer, and those guys are way more powerful then your average dude signing up to kill witches just cause. so I can't see how they're so easily over-powered by the witch hunters and crew. I definitely see theres some story reasoning, I just feel like i missed it and its likely more in the W1 and W2 then here.

Mages have pretty much no reason to pool their magic into killing witchers. To the world the world at large, witchers are just freakish mutants with a reputation of successfully killing monsters, something that normal people seem to try pretty often too (with much less success). It just so happens that much of the training and preparation a witcher has gone through for monsters, is also applicable to some degree against mages and capable of giving the witcher a fighting chance that the mage might not expect. This is also assuming that it is not just the case that most mages are either not very powerful or just specialized in magic with no application in combat.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 12, 2015

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Slashrat posted:

Mages have pretty much no reason to pool their magic into killing witchers. To the world the world at large, witchers are just freakish mutants with a reputation of successfully killing monsters, something that normal people seem to try pretty often too (with much less success). It just so happens that much of the training and preparation a witcher has gone through for monsters, is also applicable to some degree against mages and capable of giving the witcher a fighting chance that the mage might not expect.

Might have been a typo. Witches (mages) killing the witchhunters, not witchers.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

SectumSempra posted:

I guess magicians are very powerful if they're prepared, like against an army in an open battle. So the witch hunters rely on subterfuge and ambushes. As long as you get some dimeritium bomb or shackles in first, you've effectively disabled any magic user. Plus there are few sorceresses and many average Joes willing to join the witch hunters I guess?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I guess magicians are very powerful if they're prepared, like against an army in an open battle. So the witch hunters rely on subterfuge and ambushes. As long as you get some dimeritium bomb or shackles in first, you've effectively disabled any magic user. Plus there are few sorceresses and many average Joes willing to join the witch hunters I guess?

Pretty much what I assume too. Just takes 1 lucky hit(or arrow) on an unsuspecting one to kill them. Or poison their food. Or stash some demeritium nearby.

They can be super powerful, but not invincible.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The vast majority of the "witches" targeted by the witch hunt are people who can't really fight back, or at least not to a significant degree. Alchemists, herbalists, apprentices, and fortune tellers. The more powerful spellcasters also tend to be the more resourceful, with allies and connections that would rather not see them taken away so easily. And you'll note that most of the big-name magic users managed to avoid getting murdered unless they made some horrible mistake.

But I can imagine a lone sorceress being overwhelmed by large numbers of people prepared to take her down if she was caught off guard.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
And finally nobody does well if cut off from society. One person by themselves has to sleep and has to eat.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

T.G. Xarbala posted:

The vast majority of the "witches" targeted by the witch hunt are people who can't really fight back, or at least not to a significant degree. Alchemists, herbalists, apprentices, and fortune tellers. The more powerful spellcasters also tend to be the more resourceful, with allies and connections that would rather not see them taken away so easily. And you'll note that most of the big-name magic users managed to avoid getting murdered unless they made some horrible mistake.

But I can imagine a lone sorceress being overwhelmed by large numbers of people prepared to take her down if she was caught off guard.

It still doesn't entirely make sense. How hard would it have been for a few mages to get together and blow up whatever castle or ship Radovid resides in? It's a bit hard to believe that all of the more powerful mages would tolerate such persecution of their kind.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 9, 2022

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

I'll give it another look over but it's not on the main menu and not in the options sub-menu.

Also just looked it up and Yennefer's default is much better looking than the dress. I like Ciri's alt-outfit still though.

e: Wow Triss's is dumb.

I looked for that option for a while before I realized I had to download the DLC first...

I assumed they'd be automatically loaded as part of an update or patch or something.

At least on Xbox you get the stuff from the microsoft store, it's free but you do it one at a time. There's some DLC quests in there too.

e - oh wait you already had the alternate stuff on and wanted to take it off? disregard.

Supreme Allah fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 12, 2015

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Finishing this game was fun.

Ciri witcher. Radovid dead. Country cottage.

Yen = Cat people
Triss = dog people

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

Senjuro posted:

It still doesn't entirely make sense. How hard would it have been for a few mages to get together and blow up whatever castle or ship Radovid resides in? It's a bit hard to believe that all of the more powerful mages would tolerate such prosecution of their kind.

"Few mages" there would likely have to comprise the same group that took care of Vilgefortz, and among them at least Philippa and Francesca don't care much as long as it doesn't concern their plans. If they pulled that stunt again, there's now a whole order of witch hunters with very good justification for hunting them down - and in the end they're still squishy humans.

Only sorceress or sorcerer who actually cares for them as whole is probably Triss, and maybe Margarita after Radovid destroyed Aretuza.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
The american accents for the principle characters is because we tried to keep the original cast whenever possible, and the localization people made a choice back on W1 for all the main characters to have american accents. I can't speak to the reasons for it, but I suspect it was more marketing than creative (at the time there wasn't a lot of energy spent on the english loc because it was assumed no english speakers would ever play). But you can also rationalize it in-universe that the American accent that the witchers use is just a Kaer Morhen accent, (Geralt's Rivian accent is supposedly *very* unconvincing) and that Triss is speaking with a Maribor accent (I like to imagine that Maribor is fantasy Malibu). Dandelion is just a dandy, so he speaks however the hell he speaks.

The Nilfgaardians are intentionally all over the place, because the Empire is huuuuuuuuuuuge, but those from the capital all have dutch accents.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Emperor of Nilfgaard Sardo Numspa

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
So uh, how big is this game? I'm in Novigrad and just met up with Roche. I must have put in at least 20-30 hours by now and I've ignored almost all the side quests and witcher contracts. Speaking of which is there any way to tell which side quests are the longer, more involved ones and which are just short boring ones? I can pick them up on other play throughs but for the first one I'd really just like to focus on the main story and important/interesting side quests.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

So uh, how big is this game? I'm in Novigrad and just met up with Roche. I must have put in at least 20-30 hours by now and I've ignored almost all the side quests and witcher contracts. Speaking of which is there any way to tell which side quests are the longer, more involved ones and which are just short boring ones? I can pick them up on other play throughs but for the first one I'd really just like to focus on the main story and important/interesting side quests.
Huge. The game is huge. Depending on sidequest progression, you're maybe 25-40% of the way through.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

It's big. Seems like most of the goons in here end up clocking in the ballpark of 100 hours on their first completion, less if you don't Gwent and are skipping a lot of side stuff. I'd guess you're less than half way through, finishing the main quest chains in Velen and Novigrad is maybe half of the main plot, you still have Skellige, Kaer Morhen, and final showdown stuff which will have you revisiting a lot of places.

I think most actual side quests have great depth and content to them, the writing is consistently excellent and there aren't a bunch of routine fetch/gathering etc. quests, everything is fairly unique and meaty.

The Treasure Hunt mini-quests you find tend to only have a note or some minor environmental storytelling going on, so those aren't really interesting unless you are hunting for cash.

I would say do whatever seems interesting to you, I'm having a hard time remembering many quests that were short or boring and I dunno a good way to separate those from the rest. If the quest sounds fun or different do it, if not it's more stuff to check out on your second playthrough.

Edit: for better or worse, W3 is a game where you do quests more for the storytelling and gameplay experience rather than XP or cash/loot rewards. In many other games you want to do -all- the quests to make sure you're not behind on XP or missing out on loot or whatever. There is enough XP loaded into the main quest chain you can pretty much pick and choose which side quests seem fun and you're not hurting your progression by doing so.

Oh and the expansion is another 10-15+ hours or so.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 12, 2015

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Pellisworth posted:

Oh and the expansion is another 10-15+ hours or so.

Is it worth getting the expansions before finishing the main game? Do they tie in mid story or are they something extra to do when you've finished?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Is it worth getting the expansions before finishing the main game? Do they tie in mid story or are they something extra to do when you've finished?

It's mostly end-game content, level 30+ and some of the boss fights are a good challenge even after finishing the game and pimping out your gear etc.

You can do the expansion before finishing the main game, and there are some references to it I think. But no significant tie-ins, no. Not worth picking up until you're mostly done with the main game.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

The american accents for the principle characters is because we tried to keep the original cast whenever possible,

Did you work on this game?? if so, well done.

Pellisworth posted:

It's mostly end-game content, level 30+ and some of the boss fights are a good challenge even after finishing the game and pimping out your gear etc.

You can do the expansion before finishing the main game, and there are some references to it I think. But no significant tie-ins, no. Not worth picking up until you're mostly done with the main game.

HoS works as post-game content, not only because of the level requirement for the fights, but also you can attempt to romance without screwing with your main game ending. I played HoS postgame so I'm not sure if it matters if you don't, but you can screw up your main game wife by screwing another possible wife.

Terrible Horse fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 13, 2015

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Uh... I can answer this question for you--read in no value judgment.

What is the single biggest English speaking market--and probably the single biggest market for this type of Video Game? The Untied States.

Even though Americans don't actually care what accent the English in a game is spoken in as long as it's a Western/European accent that's understandable (I'm looking at you Scotish people) and the performances are good.

However the American market linked, with the ubiquity of American English in mass media, makes the American accent at least the avenue of least resistance marketing wise for a new non-English speaking company looking to sell their RPG to English speaking markets for the first time.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The expansion does give you new skills, weapons and runes that you can use during the main game. It also adds a lot new interest points to the map that aren't connected to its story. Also if you end the expansion before finishing the main quest you will get hints about the main game's endings from one of the expansion's main characters.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I noticed the voices I liked the least were all "legacy" characters so I assumed it was just a matter of the game getting better and better voice direction and budget (and putting more thought into it) but needing to keep the same Witcher 1 voices for the characters people already knew. Not that the old voice actors are bad, it's just sometimes jarring to hear an extremely modern american accent in a fantasy europe where everyone has fairly consistent geographical accents. At least the Witcher him self is doing a "voice". Obviously american accent but has a sort of batman thing going on. It was mostly just that Marigold lady that bothered me because she sounded absolutely contemporary. The voice actor her self did a fine job, if the game was set in modern day american she'd be fine.

Dandelion was american too but he was doing a theatrical fop voice on top of that which sells the whole thing.

Also I guess it's just the character design and sometimes personality but every time Yennifer hasn't said anything for a while and she opens her mouth I get confused that she isn't Claudia Black. Every time I remember the character she's just Claudia Black.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I noticed the voices I liked the least were all "legacy" characters so I assumed it was just a matter of the game getting better and better voice direction and budget (and putting more thought into it) but needing to keep the same Witcher 1 voices for the characters people already knew. Not that the old voice actors are bad, it's just sometimes jarring to hear an extremely modern american accent in a fantasy europe where everyone has fairly consistent geographical accents. At least the Witcher him self is doing a "voice". Obviously american accent but has a sort of batman thing going on. It was mostly just that Marigold lady that bothered me because she sounded absolutely contemporary. The voice actor her self did a fine job, if the game was set in modern day american she'd be fine.

Dandelion was american too but he was doing a theatrical fop voice on top of that which sells the whole thing.

Also I guess it's just the character design and sometimes personality but every time Yennifer hasn't said anything for a while and she opens her mouth I get confused that she isn't Claudia Black. Every time I remember the character she's just Claudia Black.

The only thing really stopping me from a Triss romance is her voice.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Triss and Yen just pulled the meanest prank on me :whitewater:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

El Hefe posted:

Serves you right, you loving pervert!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
How do I get Triss to come back to the docks with the "let's try again" dialogue option? I followed this guide and made the choices it says I needed to, but no dice. Kissed her at the party, helped save the mages and picked what I read were the correct dialogue options with Sigi

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Im positive there's a subtle way to glitch the Triss romance very early on, I did everything right with her but I still ended up alone, and I didn't try to pull that crap El Hefe just did either.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

El Hefe posted:

:mmmhmm:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is it OK not to pick either love interest? Triss seems ok but her accent. Yen seems like legitimately not a good person. I put a nice lady on the throne in irish viking town and eventually I'll put my daughter in as emperor and the world will be ruled be pretty ok people. Good ending??

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Yen is prickly as hell but one of the only people that is honest with geralt pretty much all the time. I'm not sure why you think she's not a good person.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah you can go single wanderer if you want, your vision of Geralt's future is your own. Yen might not get along well with people and is willing to do whatever it takes to save her daughter, but she's morally a better person than how she initially comes off. Triss in W3 is trying to atone for a lot of awful things she's done to Geralt in previous games and is trying to actively be a better person than she was, while I think Yen is honestly fine where she is since she was a better person than Triss to begin with. But I just think Yen's chemistry with Geralt is better, even if I personally prefer Triss. Unless you're actively antagonizing her, in which case lol

Also Empress Ciri might be better for the world, but I think Witcheress Ciri is better for her, personally. It's up to you though.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Triss is the hottest & the nicest and so she's the bess.

F U if you let the witch hunters torture her.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Supreme Allah posted:

Triss is the hottest & the nicest and so she's the bess.

F U if you let the witch hunters torture her.

I can't objectively disagree

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Being a Witcher is fun as a player but probably a fairly painful and awful life. Live in luxury and probably save a hell of a lot more lives as a leader.

Yen is ok but she's doing some necromancy and being nasty about it! Also this poor dude who tried to help Ciri and has been branded a coward for it by his stupid village, is there anything I can do to prove to his idiot kin that he's actually a hero? I tried to tell him he died as a warrior but Yen cut me off saying there was no time, and then he spent more time yelling about how he's a cursed outcast. A little diplomacy goes a long way! Also he died because he helped Ciri maybe be a little polite? A washed up killer whale with tits indeed.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Being a Witcher is fun as a player but probably a fairly painful and awful life. Live in luxury and probably save a hell of a lot more lives as a leader.

Yen is ok but she's doing some necromancy and being nasty about it! Also this poor dude who tried to help Ciri and has been branded a coward for it by his stupid village, is there anything I can do to prove to his idiot kin that he's actually a hero? I tried to tell him he died as a warrior but Yen cut me off saying there was no time, and then he spent more time yelling about how he's a cursed outcast. A little diplomacy goes a long way! Also he died because he helped Ciri maybe be a little polite? A washed up killer whale with tits indeed.

Since you've already spoiled yourself wrt actions toward Ciri and endings, the burial of that dude is one of the important choices in whether Ciri becomes Witcher/Empress or dies. Eventually you'll have a chance to come back and give him a proper funeral, sort of. Nothing ends well in this game.

Triss is super sweet and domestic and cuddly, but also very naiive and selfish.

Yen is her own goddamn woman, very much Geralt's equal in stubborn, surly independence.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pellisworth posted:

Triss is super sweet and domestic and cuddly, but also very naiive and selfish.

But there's an entire main-game thingy that proves these two bits entirely un-true

Triss is willing to let herself be tortured by witch hunters just to improve the chances of finding Ciri. She's not at-all naive about it, she flat-out tells Geralt she'll be tortured but gently caress it, Ciri's what's more important. She showed more self-sacrifice, awareness and grit than pretty much anyone by just volunteering for that.

If you actually let her go through with it is on you as a bad stupid coward Geralt.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Supreme Allah posted:

But there's an entire main-game thingy that proves these two bits entirely un-true

Triss is willing to let herself be tortured by witch hunters just to improve the chances of finding Ciri. She's not at-all naive about it, she flat-out tells Geralt she'll be tortured but gently caress it, Ciri's what's more important. She showed more self-sacrifice, awareness and grit than pretty much anyone by just volunteering for that.

If you actually let her go through with it is on you as a bad stupid coward Geralt.

She is super selfish with regard to her feelings for Geralt, though. In the books I dimly recall she was a bit of a magical date rapist.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I dont care about the books this is the game forum, and in Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt, she's brave and downright noble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jesus shut the gently caress up I'm trying to make friends with these awesome trolls god drat I wanted to stab this fellow witcher. BE NICE TO TROLLS.