Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

ThomasPancake posted:

All I can say to this is you are seriously delusional lol.

Never been to RSI forums, don't really give a poo poo about StarCitizen. Will never play it even if it released with every promise fulfilled. Just not my kind of game.

But when I saw they made an announcement that the game is progressing (they released some new aspect or some poo poo) , and had secured further funding, I knew I could come here to see a bunch of autistic manchildren having an epic tantrum and I was not disappointed.

"People here laugh a lot and have a jovial and good time."

I really really can't get over that you said that and probably actually believe, in some titanium compartmentalized part of your mind, that that is in any way true. This place overflows with such seething incoherent raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage. This was so worth it. My god this hilarious.

U mad bro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

I know Nineteen Eighty-Four gets trotted out all the time but that Seriously, the state of this project is dire - and the Alpha demonstrates exactly that thread has gone full :siren:Goldstein:siren:. How many 2/3 year old backer accounts does Derek Smart have, exactly? When did he start planning all this? Don't they realize at some point that this is the seventeenth Derek Smart they outed?

The "it's Alpha" defence is interesting because they also believe the game will be out in 2016, so that gives a maximum of 6 months for Alpha and 6 months for Beta.

If I could be bothered concern trolling citizens, I'd focus on how a 6 month Alpha isn't long enough and how CIG should move the release date back.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Lurk more.

AP posted:

The "it's Alpha" defence is interesting because they also believe the game will be out in 2016, so that gives a maximum of 6 months for Alpha and 6 months for Beta.

I thought they all adopted Crobert's "when it's done" timeline?

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 13, 2015

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

MeLKoR posted:

I know Nineteen Eighty-Four gets trotted out all the time but that Seriously, the state of this project is dire - and the Alpha demonstrates exactly that thread has gone full :siren:Goldstein:siren:. How many 2/3 year old backer accounts does Derek Smart have, exactly? When did he start planning all this? Don't they realize at some point that this is the seventeenth Derek Smart they outed?

The guy with the "OK" posting gimmick is unironically the best poster in that thread.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

AP posted:

If I could be bothered concern trolling citizens, I'd focus on how a 6 month Alpha isn't long enough and how CIG should move the release date back.

The funniest thing is that technically the game isn't even alpha, it's more of a pre-alpha :v:

quote:

First playable
The first playable is the game version containing representative gameplay and assets, this is the first version with functional major gameplay elements. It is often based on the prototype created in pre-production. Alpha and first playable are sometimes used to refer to a single milestone, however large projects require first playable before feature complete alpha. First playable occurs 12 to 18 months before code release. It is sometimes referred to as the "Pre-Alpha" stage.

Alpha
See also: Alpha release
Alpha is the stage when key gameplay functionality is implemented, and assets are partially finished. A game in alpha is feature complete, that is, game is playable and contains all the major features. These features may be further revised based on testing and feedback. Additional small, new features may be added, similarly planned, but unimplemented features may be dropped. Programmers focus mainly on finishing the codebase, rather than implementing additions. Alpha occurs eight to ten months before code release, but this can vary significantly based on the scope of content and assets any given game has.

You could even argue they're still in pre-production because they're still fleshing out how major features are supposed to work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_development#Development_process

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

MeLKoR posted:

Jesus christ, it's even more poo poo than I guessed. I imagine that all these assholes with huge karma have several sockpuppets upvoting the crap they post?

https://redditbot.codeplex.com/
http://www.redditsecrets.com/buy-reddit-upvotes
https://www.reddit.com/r/redditdev/comments/suf3p/reddit_upvote_script/
http://www.viksra.com/blog/reddit-mass-upvotedownvote-javascript/
http://www.sadiqk.com/reddit-upvotedownvote-bot/
http://hackaday.com/2010/10/08/reddit-hacking-for-votes-and-profit/

You tell me.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Daztek posted:

The funniest thing is that technically the game isn't even alpha, it's more of a pre-alpha :v:

You could even argue they're still in pre-production because they're still fleshing out how major features are supposed to work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_development#Development_process

It's basically a proof of concept and barely even that.

"Hay guys, here's what we envision our game being. To get this running and presentable in a video format, we decided to throw something together with the Crysis engine. This is about 3 days worth of work. Don't worry! We will be designing our OWN engine from the ground up for this game to handle everything that the Crysis engine was not designed to deal with. So all the poor character animations, nonsensical starship designs, absent physics, strict gray/black color palate, non-existent netcode, and overall jankyness you see will definitely not be present in the actual game running on our actual custom engine. Don't worry and welcome to the VERSE"

"Actually, hahahahah we hosed you all. Enjoy your 100mil Crysis total conversion mod."

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

redditbot.codeplex.com posted:

ALL THIS BOTS WILL BE HOSTED BY ME WITH-IN 2 WEEKS

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Very informative post, thanks. I just send you some Something Awful Gold.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

when and where did this exchange take place? better question: is it real?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't particularly consider what we have at the moment to be a game. A very promising test bed, sure, but not a game. And definitely not something to the extent that I would use as justification to market to the greater public as Sandi apparently intends to do.

They're rushing to deliver a framework so they can hide behind the "no guarantee of performance" clause. Problem for them is, in order to do that, they'd have had to deliver everything promised for the project. So this is just another shoddy half-baked idea that's going to contribute to their demise and bury them.

You know I predicted this back in August, right? I'll re-post an excerpt from the full thing

quote:

Like AC 1.0 which was released in a similar fashion, and almost a year later is still buggy for the most part, this social/planetside module is also incomplete and buggy. Which, from what I’ve seen, means that there is a very good chance that it could take several months for it to get into any decent working and complete state.

So once they release what I believe is also going to be a half-baked Star Marine and SQ42 (Episode 1) and whatever the heck they think (my guess is that they’re going to peddle it as AC 2.0 / Multi-Ship) is the PU, that box mentioned above will be their delivery vehicle for the “vision 2.0” game.

Hangar, Arena Commander, Social/Planetside, Star Marine, SQ 42, Persistent Universe (derived from AC 2.0 w/ multi-ship)

At that point, regardless of the quality, they would have “delivered” on Chris’ vision 2.0, thus reducing their liability. You know why? Because there is a big difference between these two:

code:
i) non-delivery for something you’ve taken money for

This one keeps them open to a lawsuit. More disastrous is that it subjects them to the invasive prying eyes of the Feds (especially the FTC and the FBI) 
for so many reasons that when the attorneys ran me through the list a couple of weeks ago in a strategy meeting, I was astonished. In fact, while I was 
focusing on the FTC, I had no idea that any part of this would even fall under the purview of the FBI.

ii) delivery of something – anything – that has no guarantee of performance

This one can get them out of a lawsuit, and possibly the invasive prying eyes of the Feds.

However, as we have seen with lawsuits against game companies such as Sony, Sega et al, companies can still be sued if they are perceived to have intentionally 
shipped a shoddy product, false advertising a product etc. So depending on who would decide to pursue this, the risks are still there. Especially given the numerous 
statements that CR has made over the years about this project’s schedule, scope, funding etc, which are collectively going to make it a slam dunk to get this one in 
front of a judge if they end up shipping a rushed and shoddy product.
The end result is that, if they “deliver”, backers are going to end up with a shoddy mess that took five (assuming they survive 2016, which at this rate, I have no reason to believe that they will) and $88m+ to develop.

There are those White Knights already crying foul saying that they were forced (well doh!) to release this in order to silence critics (gently caress Derek Smart!), that they met (uhm, no they didn’t) a milestone release etc.

This is all just the usual noise.

And they’re not saying:

“Hey hang on! Why is this, after almost two year delay, STILL IN THIS CONDITION!!?”

While I continue to applaud the stellar development teams who are doing everything that they can to create Chris’s over-ambitious vision 2.0 pipe-dream funded by other people’s money and with zero accountability, I am still holding him 100% accountable for the disaster that is now unfolding in full public view due to the direction that he has taken this project.

While I have nothing against ambition, the fact remains that if you make promises to backers, then break them, you should be open about it and hold yourself accountable rather than making excuses.

And part of that “openness” means showing backers i) how their money has and is being spent ii) why they should continue giving money and putting faith in the project

I still believe that this project is FUBAR. And it saddens me to say it. I simply do not see how, from what we’ve seen thus far and what I know, they could ever hope to deliver on promises made for this “vision 2.0” game; let alone meet the expectations of those who funded an $88m+ epic dream of a game.

At this point, I don’t even need to sue them because for all intent and purposes, I should just sit back and wait.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Justin Tyme posted:

Boy those are some high standards, the game managed to install! I connected into a server on the second try! A+

They want to believe.

I love this one:

quote:

+1 They said this tech was impossible, but here we are with Multi-crew working in its first implementation! This is a great day for gaming!

It's the Den of delusional sycophants

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

I think going to either channel alone will get you a pretty myopic view. Reddit tends to amplify any success, no matter how meaningless, and this thread amplifies anything funny (usually negative), no matter how much of a stretch it is. The big picture is getting increasingly hard to read, in my opinion. DSmart seemed pretty on the money in the Fall but lately it does seem like they are getting things together. Will it survive the holiday season? Time will tell. But you can rest assured that whatever happens, one group's going to declare it the greatest success in the history of mankind, and the other group's going to screenshot those comments, and laugh at them.

If you like freeform sandboxes with spaceships and you're not too picky about bugs it's pretty cool. If you like finished games that met all their kickstarter goals it is a flaming pile of dog poo poo.

The game, as pitched and promised, will never see the light of day.

When the dust settles, the mini-PU, AC, hangar, social/planetside will all continue to be a buggy mess of detached modules with no coherence or stability that a "game" requires.

The other penny is going to drop in Q1/2016. You heard it here first.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

/me passes behind Mars as his spaceship descends towards the surface to colonize the planet in the year 2032.

"Is anyone else having trouble connecting to the Star Citizen servers?"

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ThomasPancake posted:

All I can say to this is you are seriously delusional lol.

Never been to RSI forums, don't really give a poo poo about StarCitizen. Will never play it even if it released with every promise fulfilled. Just not my kind of game.

But when I saw they made an announcement that the game is progressing (they released some new aspect or some poo poo) , and had secured further funding, I knew I could come here to see a bunch of autistic manchildren having an epic tantrum and I was not disappointed.

"People here laugh a lot and have a jovial and good time."

I really really can't get over that you said that and probably actually believe, in some titanium compartmentalized part of your mind, that that is in any way true. This place overflows with such seething incoherent raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage. This was so worth it. My god this hilarious.

You need to up the dose on whatever meds you're on because clearly your dosage isn't working out.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ThomasPancake posted:

Said in earnest by a guy who buys what Derek Smart is selling

Hahahahahaha

This thread is amazing. I will continue to check back every time I end up hearing about some new progress the game has made to be entertained by the sheer magnitude of your hate for a loving videogame you could just not pay attention to.

Please post that on /r/StarCitizen/ and report back.

ktnx bye

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Just a reminder: In the latest interview Sandi slipped and said they need to attract a larger audience to "take pressure off of the backs uhh uhh gently caress not that we need the money."

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

xanif posted:

The 2.0 release is one of the happiest memories I have in recent history.

The amount of salt coming from the CIG forums could pay the wages of the entire Roman army for decades.

What's amazing to me is that just 48hrs ago, it was in pre-Alpha PTU testing. Now it's in pre-Alpha wide testing. Yes, they're celebrating as if somehow, it went from PTU to live and it's all fixed, clean out of Beta and in final form.

I know precisely what they're doing. They're lying. Blatantly. Because they want to continue roping in unsuspecting people who have yet to buy into this bullshit. Why? Because they know, without a shred of doubt, that this game is never - ever - getting done in 2016 and that they will run out of money before they even deliver on 25% (my analysis still pegs them at 10%) of promises made.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Omi-Polari posted:

I've never said anything about Ben's weight because I think it's in poor taste. But my God.

And they're gorging themselves while surrounded by Star Wars toys backer funds.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
why are people so angry at this game?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

KiddieGrinder posted:

I thought they all adopted Crobert's "when it's done" timeline?

Real Citizens seem to be able to hold an incredible number of contradictory beliefs.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

Pages ago, but I nominate this couch for CIG employee of the month. Taking on more crunch time/workload than anyone.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Loiosh posted:

Which one?

I haven't been reading here recently. I looked through your posts and I saw one about my thoughts. My friend has not finished downloading it yet. I did play with some others yesterday, and it's a nice beginning. There's a number of interesting issues going on. One of my favorites (from an amusement standpoint) is that because the servers have never been this stable (even the best patches in the PTU would have servers crashing every 2 hours or so), there's a number of new bugs showing up. In fixing the AI-caused server crash (2.0.0M) they ended up exposing other issues like the terminals locking up because they have some kind of corruption bug in the terminals, which are stand-ins to just poop out ships for people. I'm reminded of the alpha for Natural Selection 2, did anyone else fund that? NS2 was announced in 2006. If you pre-ordered the special edition (which I did) in 2009, you could get into the Alpha when it launched in July of 2010. Bear with me while I explain why I have a different perspective on things, that are the results of previous experiences. So, NS2 digression.

They had just delivered the first major engine feature complete build, you could walk, shoot, and supposedly start a match, but the servers were so crashy no one could get in long enough to really try it out. Here's some impressions, a few months after the very first (149) build: http://www.shacknews.com/chatty?id=24366995#item_24366995

A few months later in December, one of the devs chimed in in an RPS thread: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/12/16/yes-natural-selection-2-beta-game-footage/ (Charlie) to talk about the issues they were facing. Small studio, designing their own engine, very alpha. There was fun to be had, but it came between lots of disconnects, server crashes, missing features, and most of the content not being in yet. By July of 2011 there was enough to make it a recommend, for users who don't mind playing in a true beta (as opposed to a 'release demo' beta like the major publishers do). I tend to focus on a particular feature for a game to be a delight for me, and in the case of NS2 what I wanted was the Lurk. I like flying and sniping and doing defense, and the Lurk felt like it captured all the best elements of what made NS2 unique, much like the Constellation would do for SC years later. That's when the game finally meshed with my interests. Here's my post from 2011 about the beta: http://www.shacknews.com/chatty?id=26402937#item_26402937 - You can see I'm one of those tester kinds of people who enjoys the mess of a game in development and watching features land, improvements come, and the gameplay get refined. It that major reason why I get involved in so many kickstarters.

Back to the question: SC 2.0 feels very similar to that point in Natural Selection 2. Here we are, years after the announcement, with the first Alpha of the engine completed, and the developers are able to iterate quickly for the first time. For 2.0 they pushed out 13 patches in 3 weeks to bring what was a crashy and buggy mess to a buggy mess. There's fun to be had, especially if you like open world craziness and don't mind development jank, but it has a long way to go. Most of the gameplay systems are not in, features are not finished and there's a lot of bugs, server lag and client lag. You're just beginning to see the possibilities. Running around in a Constellation, hijacking other people's ships at stations and running amock between slowdowns is, as Sarsapariller pointed out, a bit of make-your-own fun, but it is -very- early, there is quite a bit of jank. I like testing, and I don't mind jank because I tend to find a particular detail/element that symbolizes what the game will eventually be and explore it.

All that is a long way of saying, this process is not a new experience for me which includes paying a lot for access to a messy, buggy alpha. :) I'll let you all know what I think once my friend finishes downloading. He said he'd have it by tomorrow morning.

But this isn't an alpha, I'm not trolling with that remark- poo poo you don't have to troll this game to extract funny.

However as I said this is just a tech demo, they can only barely get away with calling it an alpha because they have art assets so it looks pretty.

There is less than what 10% of what is suppose to be in game, so whatever you think you are testing - is not the game, it's nowhere near the game, they still have years to get anything like a pu. Sorry for your loss.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

am0kgonzo posted:

why are people so angry at this game?

scams are interesting to read about, and this one happens to have a huge public face. If you've ever been interested in what makes people lose tons of money on Bitcoin you will get the appeal of this thread.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Oh my gently caress this thing is so shoddy. Everything from the loving janky movement to the lovely UI to the loving awful unfun flight model is garbage. It really does feel like a hamfisted Crysis mod. The only fun to be had is winding up other people by smashing into them or stealing their ships, and boy do they get irritated. GOTY because that is funny.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

Avalanche posted:

If someone said Shart Sitizen was a mod for Crysis 3 i'd probably believe them.

That's how bad it is.

There really isn't anything all that original in Shitizen. Pretty much a copy/paste job with gravity=0 against black skyboxes with white dots.

Even the cult mentality isn't that original. If you're going to sucker people out of their money, at least don't use the Jim Jones model.

:boom::munch::boom:
drat, that's sayin' something...

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dogstoyevsky posted:

Pages ago, but I nominate this couch for CIG employee of the month. Taking on more crunch time/workload than anyone.

Employee of the year goes to bens office chair

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

D_Smart what do you think about the financial success of Day Z (a content-less tech demo sandbox)? There are clearly a lot of similarities, in the game not the development. Don't you think despite how terrible Star Citizen is that there is such a huge vastness of high-functioning autists that they can support it?

(Under the assumption they lost 75% of their useless employees)

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 13, 2015

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax

:gary: IMMMERRRRPARRRP :yarg:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/304102/why-do-we-have-to-use-ladders

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

They're lying. Blatantly. Because they want to continue roping in unsuspecting people who have yet to buy into this bullshit.

As they say there's a moron born every 5 seconds that's happy to part with there money. :mmmsmug:

It's gonna be glorious when they suddenly close shop and attempt to dissapear of the face of the planet. the Neckbeard Autis tantrums is gonna be glorious, i'm just not sure i'll be able to find a big enough cup to catch all those glorious tears. :shepface:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Be thankful for all this progress, you ungrateful shits.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

A Neurotic Jew posted:

scams are interesting to read about, and this one happens to have a huge public face.

Hey now, it's not Ben's fault that his face is huge.

Oh, wait, no, it is.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

What's up with the weird juddering? Every 5 seconds or so the whole screen jolts. Does it even when standing still. My spaceman has a bad case of space hiccups.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Unfunny Poster posted:

Oh wait those are from Twitch. Wtf are they streaming them watching somethin? lmao.

Next time they do that, spam report CIG for not having game related content- remember when the Reddit spergs had Smart's twitch channel suspended.

Live streaming a bunch of fat guys watching TV is against the TOS.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

They're rushing to deliver a framework so they can hide behind the "no guarantee of performance" clause. Problem for them is, in order to do that, they'd have had to deliver everything promised for the project. So this is just another shoddy half-baked idea that's going to contribute to their demise and bury them.

You know I predicted this back in August, right? I'll re-post an excerpt from the full thing

You do realize that every time you post about how you "predicted" something and then link back to the same content it makes you look less credible, right? Repeating the same thing over and over again, especially when there's no visible evidence of you following up on all of those threats, does nothing but expose you to ridicule.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

D_Smart what do you think about the financial success of Day Z (a content-less tech demo sandbox)? There are clearly a lot of similarities, in the game not the development. Don't you think despite how terrible Star Citizen is that there is such a huge vastness of high-functioning autists that they can support it?

(Under the assumption they lost 75% of their useless employees)

DayZ really continues to a great comparison, only you have to imagine people paid thousands to fight zombies that clip through walls.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
in the game of space

there are no winners

only losers

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OhDearGodNo posted:

Next time they do that, spam report CIG for not having game related content- remember when the Reddit spergs had Smart's twitch channel suspended.

Live streaming a bunch of fat guys watching TV is against the TOS.

I'm not that petty but it would be pretty funny if that happened to their channel.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 13, 2015

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You do realize that every time you post about how you "predicted" something and then link back to the same content it makes you look less credible, right? Repeating the same thing over and over again, especially when there's no visible evidence of you following up on all of those threats, does nothing but expose you to ridicule.

Gotta agree with Beer here, Derek. And remember, he's a logical, reasonable voice within this chaos who can provide genuine pros and cons related to all things Star Citizen.

A few months back you were forecasting some pretty significant concerns involving CIG's budget, spending, firings, moves, etc. I genuinely believed that you were going to file suit to attempt discovery on their financials, and possible fraud/employee abuse.

But now you don't even mention it anymore. You just keep saying "It's going to be glorious!"

For your sake, I do hope so. Because for a while there you were actually a relevant and believable protagonist against the scum at CIG. Your window to remain such is rapidly closing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

alphabettitouretti posted:

What's up with the weird juddering? Every 5 seconds or so the whole screen jolts. Does it even when standing still. My spaceman has a bad case of space hiccups.

CIG doesn't have the money to fix it. Buy a couple $300 ships to help!

• Locked thread