Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Shaocaholica posted:

Not sure if this is the thread for this but I need to download some files from a client in Germany and I'm on the US west coast. The problem is that speeds are really slow and I think it may be routing through Telia that's the issue.

Here's the traceroute:

code:
 1  gldrs12cr00-v0102.anim.dreamworks.com (192.168.102.1)  1.043 ms  0.830 ms  1.411 ms
 2  owb19cr00-v0755.anim.dreamworks.com (10.208.0.173)  1.921 ms  2.081 ms  2.289 ms
 3  owb-1927-103-fw-r0-196.anim.dreamworks.com (192.168.196.36)  1.142 ms  1.115 ms  1.101 ms
 4  owb-1927-101-rtr01-r1-1001.dreamworks.com (208.71.62.1)  1.638 ms  1.636 ms  1.691 ms
 5  te0-3-0-33.rcr21.lax04.atlas.cogentco.com (38.104.83.109)  3.044 ms  3.029 ms  3.080 ms
 6  be2017.ccr22.lax01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.0.238)  2.120 ms  4.145 ms  3.209 ms
 7  be2179.ccr23.lax05.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.41.82)  2.501 ms be2180.ccr23.lax05.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.41.58)  2.699 ms  2.642 ms
 8  telia.lax05.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.10.10)  2.693 ms  2.534 ms  2.624 ms
 9  nyk-bb2-link.telia.net (213.155.137.126)  83.693 ms ash-bb3-link.telia.net (213.155.137.89)  62.493 ms nyk-bb2-link.telia.net (213.155.137.126)  81.485 ms
10  ffm-bb2-link.telia.net (62.115.137.114)  157.501 ms ffm-bb1-link.telia.net (80.91.246.61)  158.460 ms ffm-bb2-link.telia.net (62.115.139.16)  170.149 ms
11  ffm-b1-link.telia.net (62.115.137.175)  180.428 ms hbg-bb1-link.telia.net (213.155.133.22)  268.893 ms ffm-b1-link.telia.net (62.115.115.4)  173.306 ms
12  1o1internet-ic-309319-ffm-b1.c.telia.net (213.248.97.98)  162.686 ms ffm-bb1-link.telia.net (62.115.142.74)  169.524 ms 1o1internet-ic-309319-ffm-b1.c.telia.net (213.248.97.98)  173.151 ms
13  ffm-b1-link.telia.net (62.115.137.245)  169.531 ms ae-11.bb-c.bs.kae.de.oneandone.net (212.227.120.18)  159.976 ms ffm-b1-link.telia.net (62.115.141.217)  169.525 ms
14  1o1internet-ic-309319-ffm-b1.c.telia.net (213.248.97.98)  172.783 ms ae-2.gw-dista-a.bs.kae.de.oneandone.net (212.227.121.216)  175.624 ms ae-11.bb-c.bs.kae.de.oneandone.net (212.227.120.18)  164.596 ms
15  vl-999.gw-ps4.bs.kae.de.oneandone.net (212.227.125.5)  184.377 ms  172.834 ms ae-11.bb-c.bs.kae.de.oneandone.net (212.227.120.18)  171.073 ms
16  kundenserver.de (82.165.97.96)  162.690 ms  173.887 ms  174.399 ms
Is there anything that can be done on either end to get this going faster? There's a lot of data to exchange.

It's possible you could email telia your traceroute and hope they fix their routers but it's not likely you'll even get a response. If it's a real big problem I'd look into a VPN tunnel service that has multiple exit points. With a little luck one of them wouldn't be routed through telia. I don't know what kind of costs are involved with VPN tunnelers and data usage, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Thanks. We do have fat pipes to some remote sites. I'll try to route through them and see how fast it goes.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
1) latency and bandwidth aren't as correlated as you think. You can still achieve very high bandwidth over a very high latency link.
2) What is traceroute actually doing under the hood? It sends ping packets to hosts. How long does it take for a ping packet to come back? It has to go [You] -> [channel] -> [Other host] -> [channel] -> [You]. If you're seeing erratic ping times, the other host might be under heavy load, but you're discounting how long it takes for data to travel over the channel. Going from hop 8 to hop 9 takes you from LA to New York, across the country, and going from hop 9 to hop 10 takes you from NY to Frankfurt, across the Atlantic. Your packets are traveling at the speed of light and 80ms across the country and 160ms to the other side of the planet is pretty reasonable and expected. That trace looks fine.

If you have a lot of data to transfer, overnighting thumbdrives or DVDs may be a lot faster.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I think I've gotten in over my head with the ERX. I don't know enough to properly troubleshoot my problem or what the right question is that I need to be asking.

At random times throughout the day, all clients in the network lose internet access at the same time. Sometimes it lasts a few minutes, sometimes up to 10 (at which point I just cycle the power on the ERX to make everything work again). While this is happening, web browsers return DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET while the ERX shows no errors in the log. WAN_LOCAL drops half a dozen connections every few seconds but that's probably normal? The modem will still show connectivity but I have to plug directly in to find that out so obviously our requests just aren't making it past the ERX.

I've tried poking at a variety of things to no success. Let's just say I'm using the default 2lan2 wizard config.

I don't know where to go from here. I know I'm asking for a lot but I can't even do something as simple as isolate for hardware because of how random the drops are. We went the whole day, yesterday, without any drops but this morning it's every few minutes for a few minutes. Two days ago it happened a half dozen times in the morning and then nothing for the rest of the day. I'm sure it could be as simple as finding the right log setting to tell me what my problem is.

I feel like resting my face on the erx and putting a bullet in my skull so the blood shorts the drat thing on my way out.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

spoof posted:

If you have a lot of data to transfer, overnighting thumbdrives or DVDs may be a lot faster.

2 liter bottle full of 64gb sdxc cards

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

spoof posted:

1) latency and bandwidth aren't as correlated as you think. You can still achieve very high bandwidth over a very high latency link.
2) What is traceroute actually doing under the hood? It sends ping packets to hosts. How long does it take for a ping packet to come back? It has to go [You] -> [channel] -> [Other host] -> [channel] -> [You]. If you're seeing erratic ping times, the other host might be under heavy load, but you're discounting how long it takes for data to travel over the channel. Going from hop 8 to hop 9 takes you from LA to New York, across the country, and going from hop 9 to hop 10 takes you from NY to Frankfurt, across the Atlantic. Your packets are traveling at the speed of light and 80ms across the country and 160ms to the other side of the planet is pretty reasonable and expected. That trace looks fine.

Alternatively, find a common service you both can get good speeds to (i.e. Dropbox) and have the client upload the files there?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Shaocaholica posted:

Not sure if this is the thread for this but I need to download some files from a client in Germany and I'm on the US west coast. The problem is that speeds are really slow and I think it may be routing through Telia that's the issue.

Is there anything that can be done on either end to get this going faster? There's a lot of data to exchange.

Nope. Doing file transfers to/from far away locations will typically have pretty awful throughput. There's a variety of reasons this is the case, but it's to do with latency and the time to acknowledge packets and how that adds up to slow down your transfer.

Here's an article that explains it in more detail. 20 meg pipe to two locations. They do a transfer test to dallas (close by) and get 15 meg throughput. They do the same test to the Uk location, 3 meg throughput.
https://blog.httpwatch.com/2008/08/14/the-surprising-effect-of-distance-on-download-speed/

You will not get good speeds at geographically distant locations. I actually worked for a company that found this out the hard way, they thought they could host these huge software updates in their existing data center if they had a big enough pipe. All their really distant customers would get glacial transfer rates, while the network engineers kept saying "The circuit isn't saturated, it must be something on their end." Yes, really.

spoof posted:

Well I'm not sure what to say here other than my real life experience contradicts yours, as well as these other articles explaining it. From what I observed you will hit transfer limits based on latency well before you hit circuit limits, and the distance from the datacenter was the only factor that determined which customers got acceptable transfer speeds or not. The pipe was the same for all customers.

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 10, 2015

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It's high latency plus a lot of hops that will gently caress up transfer speeds, right? I know a guy who is the sysadmin of a server that is literally in space, and he says the link has massive latency but stuff moves pretty fast once it's established.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
:shrug: This stuff is basically magic.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

spoof posted:

:shrug: This stuff is basically magic.

I have consistently seen poor transfer speeds to geographically remote locations / locations with high latency. I just don't see how you can straight up say "There's no relationship" - I've seen it over and over again with customers that have multiple global locations.

quote:

It's high latency plus a lot of hops that will gently caress up transfer speeds, right? I know a guy who is the sysadmin of a server that is literally in space, and he says the link has massive latency but stuff moves pretty fast once it's established.

The particulars of how latency will affect the transfer vary on the situation in question. Will it cut speeds by 20% or 90%? That part varies a lot. But it will affect the speed.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
The way you get around latency limits is to use multiple parallel streams.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
This sounds like it might actually be a good use case for BitTorrent Sync.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Use the UDT protocol for high latency transfers, there is a tool HSCP from Japan that may work wonders. I found contacting the NOCs at each hop is surprisingly easy and can be productive.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
It was the power supply Rogers provided us for the modem. The amperage didn't match and was slowly burning out the device. The fukken thing had dropped 1700 times in the last 5 days. I got them to do a swap and this poo poo is basically magic.

Thanks for the headaches, you fucks at Rogers.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Shaocaholica posted:

Here's the traceroute:

code:
 8  telia.lax05.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.10.10)  2.693 ms  2.534 ms  2.624 ms
 9  nyk-bb2-link.telia.net (213.155.137.126)  83.693 ms ...
10  ffm-bb2-link.telia.net (62.115.137.114)  157.501 ms ...
Your latency isn't that bad - from the hostnames, it looks like you jump 80 ms going cross continent (LA to NYC), then another 80 ms crossing the Atlantic Ocean. Like people have mentioned, latency isn't generally the most important thing with transfer speeds (especially with those times).

Edit: I should've read more responses but yes

wyoak fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 10, 2015

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That latency is perfectly fine and won't affect bandwidth. It's almost certainly an ISP not having enough bandwidth on the hop to another peer. Cogent is infamous for having lovely peering agreements.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Rakthar posted:

Nope. Doing file transfers to/from far away locations will typically have pretty awful throughput. There's a variety of reasons this is the case, but it's to do with latency and the time to acknowledge packets and how that adds up to slow down your transfer.

Here's an article that explains it in more detail. 20 meg pipe to two locations. They do a transfer test to dallas (close by) and get 15 meg throughput. They do the same test to the Uk location, 3 meg throughput.
https://blog.httpwatch.com/2008/08/14/the-surprising-effect-of-distance-on-download-speed/

You will not get good speeds at geographically distant locations. I actually worked for a company that found this out the hard way, they thought they could host these huge software updates in their existing data center if they had a big enough pipe. All their really distant customers would get glacial transfer rates, while the network engineers kept saying "The circuit isn't saturated, it must be something on their end." Yes, really.

This man is correct. Latency kills TCP transfer speeds. You can mitigate this somewhat by increasing your TCP receive window size but that introduces problems with packet loss and TCP re-transmits. Which also kills throughput. So it ends up being a balancing act between a larger TCP receive window with massive speed penalties for packet loss and the resulting TCP re-transmits and a smaller TCP receive window that causes your throughput to be more affected by latency due to ACK times.

As CrazyLittle said, the proper solution is to use multiple TCP streams in parallel. If your application doesn't care about lost packets you can always switch to UDP, which does not have this problem. However UDP is not a good choice for file transfers as it tends to randomly loose little bits of whatever is being transferred.

You have no idea how many times I have had to explain this to clients.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 11, 2015

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Antillie posted:

You have no idea how many times I have had to explain this to clients.

"why does my gigabit internet connection only get 700mbit on speedtest????"

(actually a bunch of reasons, but anyways...)

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 11, 2015

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
That article is only testing HTTP. Latency can have huge impacts (or no impact at all) on throughput depending on the transfer protocol.

If this is something your company does regularly it may be worth investing in a high speed transfer system like Aspera faspex.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Assume I had a slow internet connection, what benefit if any would a fast modem provide? Also assume I have a fast in-home wired network.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Are you confusing "modem" and "router"? I only ask because you call out "fast wired network" but not wireless.

If not - as long as your cable/DSL modem supports the speeds you're paying for, and you're actually getting said speeds, there's no benefit to upgrading. If you aren't getting those speeds, it might be a different story. Pulling numbers out of my rear end here - your modem might support 50Mbps on four downstream channels, but if your cable provider needs you to have an eight-channel modem to get that speed, you'd need to upgrade.

If you're referring to wireless speeds, then you're actually talking about your router, and then it depends on what you're doing / what you have already. However, there's just about no reason for anyone to still be on 802.11a/b/g, or a 2.4GHz-only 802.11n network these days, so if you've got something that old you probably want to get a dual-band 802.11n or 802.11ac setup anyway.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I am talking about a modem. If I have 20mbps internet speed and a 300mbps modem is there any benefit to having the overpowered modem? I would guess not, but just checking.

Internal network was just brought up as additional info.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you're paying for 20Mbps, and you are able to get 20Mbps through your existing modem, then no. Don't upgrade it until you can't get your paid-for speed through it anymore.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Thanks that answered my question exactly. My previous ISP would not let you bring a modem, but the carriers in my new town do.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Is there any way to configure some device in my home as an adblocking proxy of some kind, then configure my phone to get all of its web data through this proxy? Like having ad block on my phone at all times, especially when I'm using 3G/4G data?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Bigass Moth posted:

I am talking about a modem. If I have 20mbps internet speed and a 300mbps modem is there any benefit to having the overpowered modem? I would guess not, but just checking.

Internal network was just brought up as additional info.

If you're talking about a cable modem, it can be helpful by splitting up your connection across more DOCSIS channels to mitigate node saturation. You won't notice much difference unless the area itself is at its carrying capacity, but more people in the neighbourhood having high end modems decreases the likelihood of running into throughput issues. If the ISP is supplying it for free, get the modem capable of bonding with the highest number of DOCSIS channels; my modem is capable of handling my 100Mbps plan I'm subscribed to, but they're giving me a free upgrade to a 300Mbps modem as part of a network upgrade that's going on right now.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Geez, the EdgeRouterX (current thread fave) is $75 on Amazon. Sold out at NewEgg. B&H wants $79 for it! Pretty big markup from SRP $49.99...

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 11, 2015

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

PBCrunch posted:

Is there any way to configure some device in my home as an adblocking proxy of some kind, then configure my phone to get all of its web data through this proxy? Like having ad block on my phone at all times, especially when I'm using 3G/4G data?

I do this at home. I have a Squid proxy running on a computer, and I configured my DHCP server to send an automatic proxy configuration URL (pac file) to my clients (phones and tablets).
It only works on my home's wifi; it won't work for mobile data.

For mobile data, you could open the proxy to internet traffic (with authentication) and configure your phone to use it. Or you could set up a VPN on your home network and configure your mobile devices to use it. The downside to both of those would be that all of your mobile traffic would pass through your home internet connection, which might be slow.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Binary Badger posted:

Geez, the EdgeRouterX (current thread fave) is $75 on Amazon. Sold out at NewEgg. B&H wants $79 for it! Pretty big markup from SRP $49.99...

Yeah, this seems to be the norm with it for some reason. I paid ~65 for it from Amazon about a month ago.

I heard those new Unifi AC-Lite AP's are in a similar situation.

E: Gotta say though I set up an ER-X and Unifi AP (just the standard 2.4) at my gf's parents house for them and it's been rock-solid.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Binary Badger posted:

For that price you might as well get the erx-sfp that has an additional fiber port on it

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Getting a weird wireless issue, hoping someone has an idea. Whenever I play an online game I get a 1-2 second lag spike every 10 seconds. Downloading stuff, browsing, streaming video, those all work fine, just games seem to be affected. So far I see it happening in KF2 and Path of Exile, and I can sit there and time it and every 10 seconds it hangs.

Here's where it gets weird: if I go to the bandwidth monitor page in DD-WRT and look at the graph, THEN load up an online game the problem goes away :psyduck:

The only thing I can think of is that the bandwidth monitoring is constantly pinging the connection which is keeping something alive, while if I'm not looking at it there is something somewhere that is timing out every 10 seconds. Anybody know what else I could look at in my router to fix this? I'm using a TP-Link WR841N V9 running DD-WRT v3.0-r28374 std (11/28/15) (this is a beta, they only have standard releases up to V8 of my router so far).

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Just hang on a bit -- I ordered another one a few days ago for a friend and it was 59.99 shipped.

It's great though. Just make sure whoever orders it can figure out how to use it as the wizard is great but pretty sparse.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

sellouts posted:

Just hang on a bit -- I ordered another one a few days ago for a friend and it was 59.99 shipped.

It's great though. Just make sure whoever orders it can figure out how to use it as the wizard is great but pretty sparse.

I still think it's a shameful joke that the wizards require you to reset back to factory, plug into eth0 with a static IP, and then it rearranges all the ports after you fill out the wizard forms. But w/e - I'm doing all my config with a text terminal and a basic template anyways

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
There is always Mikrotik guys. They are really good, I promise!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Really weird issue that I ran into the other day: I'm using an Archer C7 to run 3 wireless SSIDs: a 5ghz, 2.4ghz, and a 2.4ghz guest network. I've got the router set use my Windows 2012 R2 server for the primary DNS; however if I try to switch the secondary DNS to my local backup DNS server (from an OpenDNS server), the guest network suddenly stops working and gets DNS timeout issues. The primary 5 & 2.4ghz networks are totally fine with this change. My guess as to why this is happening is that, in the router settings, 'Allow Guest To Access My Local Network' is not checked, meaning those computers wouldn't have access to use the local DNS servers, I assume? Is that the long and short of it?

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
When setting up a WAP with both a 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz access for general home use, is it better to have them both have the same SSID, or should they be different, and why?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Axiem posted:

When setting up a WAP with both a 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz access for general home use, is it better to have them both have the same SSID, or should they be different, and why?

I prefer to keep them as separate SSIDs so that I can keep specific devices on each radio. If you use the same SSID you can run into the situation where a dual band device will stay on 5ghz even if you hit a range where 2.4 would be better or the opposite, where you'd prefer it be on 5ghz (since it's usually faster) but it connected at 2.4 for whatever reason. These situations can still occur with separate SSIDs but you can choose which radio to attach to instead of letting the device do it itself. The setup I see a lot of ISPs ship their routers with is SSID-2.4 and SSID-5. On mine, I just set everything up myself so I have SSID and SSID-5.

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger
For whatever reason, I was checking the logs on my Surfboard SB6141 (connected to Xfinity). I came across the following:

Dec 13 2015 11:28:07 4-Error E107.0 SW upgrade Failed after download - Incompatible SW file
Dec 13 2015 11:27:42 6-Notice E102.0 SW Download INIT - Via Config file d11_m_sb6121_speedtierextreme2_c01.cm

I haven't had any connection issues that I'm aware of, but just wanted to gauge the responses to see what could be amiss. I spoke with a Comcast technician which didn't prove to be beneficial.

From my little bit of research, it seems that my modem is provisioned incorrectly, hence trying to download a SB6121 config file rather than a SB6141.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I setup Tomato on my ASUS RT-N16 years ago and just went to update it and realized the original project is no longer maintained. Seems there are some forks. What is everybody using these day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Boris the Blade posted:

For whatever reason, I was checking the logs on my Surfboard SB6141 (connected to Xfinity). I came across the following:

Dec 13 2015 11:28:07 4-Error E107.0 SW upgrade Failed after download - Incompatible SW file
Dec 13 2015 11:27:42 6-Notice E102.0 SW Download INIT - Via Config file d11_m_sb6121_speedtierextreme2_c01.cm

I haven't had any connection issues that I'm aware of, but just wanted to gauge the responses to see what could be amiss. I spoke with a Comcast technician which didn't prove to be beneficial.

From my little bit of research, it seems that my modem is provisioned incorrectly, hence trying to download a SB6121 config file rather than a SB6141.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Shot in the dark - maybe they have to enter the specific model in their system and got it wrong? It is only one digit.

Maybe the modem is identifying as the incorrect model? First documented case of a transmodem? v:v:v